Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

not much progress from my side today. i was stuck trying to "fix" something for hidden characters and stuff like that.
finally i managed to got it working and now is better than before (my umk3).

Well I just got a full-time job for the first time since being laid-off, so it's been tougher update. I didn't forget your PSD for the title screen/health bars though interloko, standby.

Awesome work people!!!
I wanted to do a quick mock-up
mcgs9t.png

woah! nice mock-up screen cap . . !

WOW this stuff is so freaking amazing guys. I cant really describe how it makes me feel when i see the great progress of this game. keep up the awesome work guys

Alright guys, another update on my work. Firstly thanks a lot for the positive feedback on my last post, hopefully you'll like this one just as much.

Here is all of the completed UI so far, plus reference images:

Select screen -
mk1sshd.png

mk1ss.png

Battle Plan -
mk1bphd.png

mk1bp.png

Endings -
mk1end1hd.png

mk1end2hd.png

mk1end1.png

mk1end2.png

Bio -
mk1biohd.png

mk1bio.png

High score -
mk1lwshd.png

mk1lws.png

High score V2 -
mk1lwshdv2.png

A bit about my composition choices, and the two high score versions -

AFAIK you guys are enlarging the vertical resolution to 720 and then adding extra width for 16:9, instead of cropping the whole game to 16:9. That way the distance between the character's head and the lifebars remains the same. So I've followed that same principle in making the UI, adding pixels instead of cropping. That keeps the original composition, and keeps the size of everything consistent. However the extra pixels create a lot more space and I need feedback on whether you guys think it looks too bare. One solution is to stretch the backgrounds to 16:9, like I've done for High score V2. Honestly though, that's probably the only screen I'd do it for. If there is some negative space then I'd rather fill it with extra details, like cracks or ornamental patterns (similar to the cancelled MKAKHD). If you guys are happy with it as it is though then I'm happy to leave it like that.

I think there's only the Insert Coin screen and the VS screen left to do, and just working on the texture right now since those are different to the other screens. The way I've composed the Insert Coin screen relates to what I was saying about adding details rather than stretching:

mk1menusetup.png

I thought about the purpose of that screen and there's two ways it could be used, you could have a credit system just for fun, or you could place some user options there. Either way, I don't think it should be left out.

One thing I'm unsure about is the effects on the fonts - Calactyte , the bevel effect you had on them wasn't really gelling with my work, so I've only left your drop shadow effect. Let me know how you think it looks right now and how you think it could be improved.

Anyway that's all I'll post for now, all replies and criticism is appreciated. I do hope you guys decide to use my UI though because I've put a lot of work into it, and I'm prepared to put in a lot more if need be.

Alright guys, another update on my work. Firstly thanks a lot for the positive feedback on my last post, hopefully you'll like this one just as much.

Here is all of the completed UI so far, plus reference images:

Select screen -
mk1sshd.png

mk1ss.png

Battle Plan -
mk1bphd.png

mk1bp.png

Endings -
mk1end1hd.png

mk1end2hd.png

mk1end1.png

mk1end2.png

Bio -
mk1biohd.png

mk1bio.png

High score -
mk1lwshd.png

mk1lws.png

High score V2 -
mk1lwshdv2.png

Cool ! ! ! Seems FLAWLESS ! ! Good Job bro !

EDIT:

B.T.W.
I made a select your fighter mock-up using Jarvis653's Character Select Screen and Bleed's Scorpion model repainted as Sub Zero . .

mk1sshd.png

Last edited:
jarvis653, thanks for all the updates but i don't understand way you are making again all it.

All the UI screens are done like a month ago.

jarvis653, thanks for all the updates but i don't understand way you are making again all it.

Well not to be rude but I personally wasn't satisfied with what you guys already had, so I wanted to make an alternative UI that was truer to the original. The way I see it there is so much work left to do on the gameplay that there's plenty of time to redo things. Perhaps the community could give input on which UI they'd prefer? I'd like to know what you think of it too.

Well not to be rude but I personally wasn't satisfied with what you guys already had, so I wanted to make an alternative UI that was truer to the original. The way I see it there is so much work left to do on the gameplay that there's plenty of time to redo things. Perhaps the community could give input on which UI they'd prefer? I'd like to know what you think of it too.

Though I don't have the skills like you guys, I still can say that Jarvis right. I agree his statement about the first Select Screen UI . . No offense, but I find the first select screen UI way too rough . . IDK why . . And it's too bright (well not really bright , guess it's not too bright at all.) and the contrast is high (not too high) making it look a little bit dirty (not as dirty as what you think. It's hard to explain) . . I prefer Jarvis653's UIs . . Why? cause it has a relevance in the cancelled MKHD . . His UIs are plain looking, smooth, and the brightness and contrast are well balanced . .

I'm not saying that your(badmouse) UI is not good looking, or it is bad looking . . To be honest, I like it, and it's great. I love how you add the cracks. . And it is cooler and more badass than my Test Your Might Arena pic . . But as what I have said, I prefer Jarvis653's UIs . . Sorry bout this bro, but I'm expressing my opinion, and who knows? maybe other users likes your work more than I do . ? . I'm really sorry bro, no offence, no hard feelings . . Peace bro ! :D

Though I don't have the skills like you guys, I still can say that Jarvis right. I agree his statement about the first Select Screen UI . . No offense, but I find the first select screen UI way too rough . . IDK why . . And it's too bright (well not really bright , guess it's not too bright at all.) and the contrast is high (not too high) making it look a little bit dirty (not as dirty as what you think. It's hard to explain) . . I prefer Jarvis653's UIs . . Why? cause it has a relevance in the cancelled MKHD . . His UIs are plain looking, smooth, and the brightness and contrast are well balanced . .

I'm not saying that your(badmouse) UI is not good looking, or it is bad looking . . To be honest, I like it, and it's great. I love how you add the cracks. . And it is cooler and more badass than my Test Your Might Arena pic . . But as what I have said, I prefer Jarvis653's UIs . . Sorry bout this bro, but I'm expressing my opinion, and who knows? maybe other users likes your work more than I do . ? . I'm really sorry bro, no offence, no hard feelings . . Peace bro ! :D

Thanks so much for the compliments. I agree that while the previous UI can be appealing in its own way, IMO it's taken the wrong approach, and that's trying to modernize it. It just doesn't feel MK1. I've taken great care to match my work as close as I can to the original, and at the end of the day that's the goal of this project. For this to be a good HD update it needs to keep the integrity of the original game.

Bleed, Calactyte, Interloko, anyone else on the project, I'd really value your input on this topic and to let me know if you guys would like me to continue working. Please refer to the previous page to check out what I've done, thanks in advance.

Thanks so much for the compliments. I agree that while the previous UI can be appealing in its own way, IMO it's taken the wrong approach, and that's trying to modernize it. It just doesn't feel MK1. I've taken great care to match my work as close as I can to the original, and at the end of the day that's the goal of this project. For this to be a good HD update it needs to keep the integrity of the original game.

Bleed, Calactyte, Interloko, anyone else on the project, I'd really value your input on this topic and to let me know if you guys would like me to continue working. Please refer to the previous page to check out what I've done, thanks in advance.

Yeah . . I'm no Simon Cowell to judge but , I feel the previous UI didn't look like much MK . . But I still love his work, I appreciate his effort. . .
And Jarvis653, I think you should continue working you made the UI simply balanced , and you too badmouse, continue helping those awesome guys (Bleed, interloko, calactyte) . . Co'z you guys are more talented than me . . Keep on going. .
:D

I think this one looks more like the classic UI, so it would be my choice. The one RatonMalo created is more in line with the arcade collection, and while it looks good, it's not like the original.

We aren't matching everything 100% but if we can get a little closer, it wins out for me.

It's a pain to say, because I see how much work was put in to it. At the same time, I think Ratonmalo has plenty of work to do on the stages. Because of that I believe we can spare some room for another person working on the UI.

This is just me, I don't know how the others feel about it.