Have you been an MK fan? through the high's and lows??? Be Honest

I been a long time MK fan. 100% loyal ? No. I played the arcade versions of MK, MK II, UMK and on the Sega, SNES, PS1, xbox and now the xbox 360 consoles. I loved the first movie but didn't like the last 2 nor the TV series (Konquest). There was a point in time I lost interest in the franchise but as of late I found myself getting back into it. I have been waiting for a good MK title for the 360, I hope this is the one.

Absolutely the first MK blew my mind in the arcade when i first saw it. finishing someone by tearing their head off spine still attached was the coolest thing 10 yr old me had ever seen. And MK2 is legend in my mind. Waiting for an arcade today its unheard of today. My 7 yr old son will never know that experience. And it sucks. And of course I saw both movies in theatres. I even dug sub-zero mythologies which most people hated. I do prefer the klassic MK games but deadly alliance and deception were my favs of the 3-D MK games and Shaolin Monks I thought was great. Still want a sequel. Maybe an MK: Ninjas with scorpion and sub_zero. I havent felt so excited about MK since I was a kid and its awesome to see this game a nostalgia filled fan service packed master piece coming out. only 3 hours left good gaming tonight guys! Mortal Kombat!!

Never been a big fan of MK1. It's ok, but I liked SFII more back then. MKII was and still is a beautiful game. The over-all atmosphere is so iconic and so "MK" that it will never UMK3 is the king of fighting games for me. I love the run button and the juggle mechanics are brilliant even now. Everything aside from Shaolin Monks has been crap since then. The new game is fantastic and has done a lot to restore the MK name.

I loved the original trilogy as a child but wasn't really into the series when it went 3D I then came back on board with MKvsDC which I did enjoy quite a lot, the fatality thing didn't really bother me since I never knew any inputs anyway. Now the new MK is probably my most anticipated game ever I haven't enjoyed waiting for a games release this much since Smash Bros Brawl.

I've owned every new MK game the instant they were released, except for MK vs DC which did not interest me. I got it later and had fun with it for a short time, but in general it didn't seem that great. Deadly Alliance through Deception was fun I thought, and I do not understand the hate those games get. I prefer 2d MK but the 3d ones were a good time while they lasted, so I would not consider them a "low" myself.

You know, when I really think about it, I did grow up with this game. Mortal Kombat from 1-3 became my goto fighting game alongside my Zelda game. Wow. I remember when I was 8 years old and MK1 was all the rage. I didn't have any arcade to go to, but the game was on the news for the longest time and I remember being very adamant as a child as to how disturbed I would be if I played the game. I said I would cry if I actually saw it.

But my dad being my dad surprised me one day, calling my ignorant bluff. I came home and he rented Mortal Kombat and challenged me to a fight. I was hooked as soon as I knocked my dad into the pit. Then... one day, I hit up, up with Scorpion. :)

Ever since then, Mortal Kombat has been more than just a game to me. It was really one of the better times I spent with my dad. Knocking each other into the spikes and burning each other to the bone. I grew up. I was mildly disinterested in Mortal Kombat until I would hear enough rabble rousing about the upcoming new title and really... it was always just like coming back to that time when I was 8. From MK4 to A. Of course, as I got older, that nostalgic bloom faded and I was rather turned off by MKvDC. I figured MK was officially dead.

Now Mortal Kombat 9 is coming out. My dad and I rarely talk to each other... but I couldn't help myself and told him about the upcoming Mortal Kombat game and how it was going back to what we both enjoyed.

...Damn. I'm getting kinda emotional on this.

I think that is awesome my dad did not want nothing to do with me and the last thing I've ever got was MK 4 but luckily I have a mother who LOVES mortal Kombat

I've been a hardcore MK fan since I was 4 years old. I think I can safely say that I've been excited for every MK release, ever. Ups and down (and gods were there downs) I've never once faultered in purchasing/playing an MK game as soon as I was able.

To this day the only one I haven't 100% completed is MKvDC. And that's only because I can't play for shit with a 360 D-pad. And I didn't have a PS3 at the time. And even then I completed the story (just didn't get all the endings).

I've played Mortal Kombat since the 1st game, As a kid I was in love with it, I watched the movie over and over and over and over again, I still have my old old Scorpion and Sub Zero halloween outfits, I have every game. I've played since Sega, and now I just bought MK9 and have fallen in love all over again.

There was a time when I lost faith in the series, mainly in the late 90's(MK4 was good though). But then it was renewed when Deadly Alliance came out.

Yes. The only games I'm not able to get behind are MKM:SZ and MKSF, but since they're not fighting games, I really don't count them to begin with.

Firstly great thread, thanks to the creator.

I have been a dire fan since MK 1, also did not play it so much in the arcades my debut and introduction came with Sega.
Became hooked since day one and on every MK right up till Deadly Alliance, with UMK 3, Trilogy & MK4 being my all time favourites.

Deadly Alliance for me was quite good and a nice change from the latter 2D, but the gameplay was much slower and in my opinion the MK series from there on out became much more Tekken orientated with the whole combo timing system. I really really missed the run button and till this day still do.

From there on the future of MK began to get pretty grim for me, but still I stayed a die hard fan of the series...Deception was basically a DA expansion, and Armageddon again a Trilogy, with some newer features like Hari Kiri etc.

Why Mk vs DC was ever released and created still boggles my mind till this day...Midway was in a financial crysis, so call it a last resort at saving MK and Midway if you like I don't know...but MK vs DC to me was the worst of the major MK's ( not taking in account Mythologies and that waste of discs Jax one.) and failed epically. Breaking down and taking away one of the major things that made MK so awesome and fans amped for the next release...FATALITIES..it was more like FRIENDSHIPS Spelled wrongly in that game.

And for the first time I didin't bother playing a MK. The styles was cool and all, but it lacked speed, and that little something to make it work...going in and out of styles was also very hard.
I won't disagree it added strategy to the series but, in MK all you wanna do is beat your component senseless as quick as possible.

Well after that Midway was declared bankrupt....and I was left with this feeling of ok RIP MK, popped out my Sega and remembered it for the classics I grew up with.

Till my amazement and miracles do happend a new MK was announced.
At first not even interested and when i finally went an viewed early gameplay and trailers and interviews..my love and hope slowly returned...and said to myself this is the MK we have been loathing since Sega days...this reboot will be epic. The king of fighters will reclaim it's throne !

And that feeling was not wrong. Played it, finished story mode...played ladder..ok ok, i confess I cant put the controller down so awesome it is ! Best MK so far of the new generation...no run button stll. But the combat is fast, the combo system works ! and it's just pure epicness crammed onto disc...and if this is the future of MK then damn it looks promising.

The game has it flaws sure, what game doesn't...the music is tooo soft.
Shao-Kahn is overpowerd even on lowe difficulties...but he is a boss and leader of Outworld so i see his over powerdness and taunting as a driving force too just play more and improve my skill even more... "U will never win"...."You suck!" nooo you will go down. I wil 7 Hit Combo your ass..and before this day is done, I will look upon your corpse and smile !!!

Sure MK might not be the best fighting game ever, but one thing it does is reach it's goal of rebooting the series and give new comers and die hard veterans of the series a return to the classics and a Bloody goooood fighter.

MK 4 EVER !

You know, when I really think about it, I did grow up with this game. Mortal Kombat from 1-3 became my goto fighting game alongside my Zelda game. Wow. I remember when I was 8 years old and MK1 was all the rage. I didn't have any arcade to go to, but the game was on the news for the longest time and I remember being very adamant as a child as to how disturbed I would be if I played the game. I said I would cry if I actually saw it.

But my dad being my dad surprised me one day, calling my ignorant bluff. I came home and he rented Mortal Kombat and challenged me to a fight. I was hooked as soon as I knocked my dad into the pit. Then... one day, I hit up, up with Scorpion. :)

Ever since then, Mortal Kombat has been more than just a game to me. It was really one of the better times I spent with my dad. Knocking each other into the spikes and burning each other to the bone. I grew up. I was mildly disinterested in Mortal Kombat until I would hear enough rabble rousing about the upcoming new title and really... it was always just like coming back to that time when I was 8. From MK4 to A. Of course, as I got older, that nostalgic bloom faded and I was rather turned off by MKvDC. I figured MK was officially dead.

Now Mortal Kombat 9 is coming out. My dad and I rarely talk to each other... but I couldn't help myself and told him about the upcoming Mortal Kombat game and how it was going back to what we both enjoyed.

...Damn. I'm getting kinda emotional on this.

Wow, this is *kinda* like my story of how I got in to MK. I never played MK1 when it was popular. I saw the news stories about it and said to myself "wow, that game is gory... I will never play that" (I was young and stupid).

I was never really into video games until my brother got the SNES when our NES broke. My best friend at the time was spending the night at my house, and wanted to rent MKII. He heavily insisted, especially since his mom would never let him play it at his house. My mom was ok with it (my mom rules), and we started playing. I saw the first fatality and thought "this is SO COOL". I have been a fan pretty much ever since.

MKII was the first game that *I* ever owned myself. I was heavily into MK3 and especially UMK3 (silly fatalities aside). MKT was epic back then for me. I played that more than any other game we had for the N64 (yes, I had Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Goldeneye... why do you ask?).
I liked MK4 and MK Gold too (I got the Dreamcast just for MK Gold... it remained the most played DC game I had, with perhaps only Shenmue rivaling it).

Then MKDA came out. While it was impressive, I never got real good at it, and my brother pummeled me in it (up till then it was the other way around). The fatalities were cooler than before, but there was only one per character, leaving a lacking feeling. Stage Fatalities were missed as well.

MKD was heavily anticipated, and I was happy to see 2 fatalities per character + Hara Kiri's + Stage Fatals in the game. I loved the death traps too. However, most of the characters really kinda sucked. I was happy to see Jade and Mileena back, but no Kitana was a pretty big deal... imagine having Scorpion and Reptile, but no Sub Zero... yeah it's like that. Kitana is my favorite character, and a huge part of the overall story. If she is gone, the game feels like it is missing something IMHO. Plus such favorites as Kung Lao, Reptile, Cyrax, Sektor, and Sonya were out for such losers as Bo Rai Cho (why did they put him in TWO games?), Tanya (over Kitana? Really?), Hotaru (so generic it is pathetic), Darrius (Jax wannabe), and Kobra (I really hate him). Most of the newbies were incredibly generic and forgettable, and they took spots of more beloved characters that were sorely missed in this game.

MKA was cool because it had a ton of mini-games (Motor Kombat was awesome)... however, it was really too crowded. The create-a-fatality system really hurt it too. I missed the individual fatalities, and felt this game was rushed. Cool game, but got old fast.

MK vs. DC Never played this... I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. In a way, it did turn out to be a joke.

MK9 brings the game back to its roots... love it alhough there were some parts of story mode that I was not real pleased with (if you read up to here, you will probably figure out what it is). W/e, still love the game.