Gritty the New Style?

There was a game called Mortal Kombat Sado Masochism?? Why did no one tell me about it? Is it some banned game or something? Can't wait to whip Kitana's ass red and force a gag into her mouth as Goro.

There was a game called Mortal Kombat Sado Masochism?? Why did no one tell me about it? Is it some banned game or something? Can't wait to whip Kitana's ass red and force a gag into her mouth as Goro.
You're giving Nasty_Freak ideas. STOP!

And besides, the SM stands for "Shaolin Monks".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I love the gritty new style. I hope they keep things as serious as possible.
MK9 was way too goofy. I know that has always been a staple of the series, but I would like to see them grow out of it.

I feel like we should all agree on what the words 'dark' and 'gritty' actually mean before debating this. I saw a few people make the argument that MK 1-3 are dark, and the rest aren't. Those were the games with friendships and babalities. I would argue MKX is visually the grittiest/darkest yet, but some people are making the opposite claim. This isn't one of those things that should really be up for debate, right? Aren't 'darkness' and 'grittiness' quantifiable? Is it possible nostalgia plays a part in how seriously you take certain iterations of MK? Maybe quality of game matters? Maybe invoking feelings of darkness aren't the same as literally being dark? All I know is every time NRS makes a new game (even before that's what the team was called) this weird, nonsense debate crops up. I'd like it if we defined our terms a bit.

I feel like we should all agree on what the words 'dark' and 'gritty' actually mean before debating this. I saw a few people make the argument that MK 1-3 are dark, and the rest aren't. Those were the games with friendships and babalities. I would argue MKX is visually the grittiest/darkest yet, but some people are making the opposite claim. This isn't one of those things that should really be up for debate, right? Aren't 'darkness' and 'grittiness' quantifiable? Is it possible nostalgia plays a part in how seriously you take certain iterations of MK? Maybe quality of game matters? Maybe invoking feelings of darkness aren't the same as literally being dark? All I know is every time NRS makes a new game (even before that's what the team was called) this weird, nonsense debate crops up. I'd like it if we defined our terms a bit.
This. So much this. Thank you.

But the truth of the matter is people are going to say MKX is this and that because of their personal bias - disregarding the actual definitions of 'dark' and 'gritty.'

I see the Dark & Gritty of MKX as

The Dark being the sense of dread you get in this game. Two people are fighting to the death, one of them is going to die. But in MKX it just seems like everyone and every stage is so much more evil. With the exception of Cassie, every character so far looks like they blatantly enjoy mutilating flesh.

The Grit I see as the unapologetic violence. In MK9 the X-Rays were more comical, very few of them were as savage as the ones we've seen so far. We don't hear the exaggerated "Ohhhhhhh" when somebody gets hit in slow motion (At least I haven't heard it yet) we only hear the sounds of bone breaking and muscle ripping.

Personally i'm getting sick of everyone saying "dark and gritty." i understand the reasoning but i think we should be using different descriptive words other than loose terminology. i love the atmosphere of this game and it looks like it's going to be the best one yet but i'm not going to throw any of the other games under the bus because the fact is that every previous title everyone was excited to cast out the old to make way for the installment that would truly fulfill their needs. I'm not saying NRS made no mistakes in previous games (i myself hate kano and sindel with a passion) but i feel that MK9 is perfect the way it is. I do not in any way feel it was goofy, i felt it had a good balance there because if you're having people fight to the death that enjoy what they're doing, eventually someone is going to have a smart-ass remark, kind of like cassies fatality as if she were saying that who she was fighting stood no chance. In no way was any previous game pathetic, MK will never be pathetic. just because there is humor does not take away from the seriousness. MKX i believe is going in the direction everyone wants it to go, no matter where you stem from, so lets all just unify behind the fact that this is going to sate our sociopathic appetites