Dealing with Spammers

wasn't sure where to post this but, Hey guys im new :) I join in the hope of being able to speak with people who play regularly and to be able to learn from them and improve my game :)

Greetings over and to the point of the post: dealing with spammers

Now i know there is no general rule against all of them so im gonna narrow it down a bit to those that annoy me most: Noob and Sheva

There was this one guy today, Noob saibot player, who spammed his shadow run attack (is that its name?) constantly. forcing me to advance and block. though problem here was that this left me no time to hit him, as lowering my guard for a second resulted in me just getting hit by it and being back at square one. I play as Kitana so my other reaction to campers is to square boost across the map at him to close the distance, but this just got punished with the, im gonna call it the uppercut kick (case you didnt notice i dont know the names of his moves) the one where he makes his clone kick upwards. i ended up quitting in protest as it was just ridiculous. and this sort of fighting is all i really see from noob players.

My problem with sheva is the infernal stomp attack she does by leaping off the top of the screen. nothing i do to try to prevent this attack works. dashing at the last minute, attempting to interupt it with a jump kick, square boosting away (she just homes in on me). and the only sheva players ive seen have spammed this to no end causing my demise.

Baring in mind I play Kitana, are there any pointers anybody can give me to deal with those sort of playstyles? because i just wanna get revenge XD Cheers guys

if you dont even know the names of the other moves you have no room to complain about anything. learn your opponent to beat them, if you dont know what to expect from another players char, your already at a disdvantage.

yes this means you should know all 30 some odd characters moves....yes thats a lot, yes you have to anyways.

the reason i say this is because as kitana you shouldnt have that much trouble punishing noobs shadow charge, and his upknee is predictable (whenever you are within upknee range usually)

Don't think just because they are tosing projectiles they are noob spammers open for an easy teleport or once you get close become useless.

Good players know how to zone correctly, they know at what range it's safe to zone and where it's smarter to bait you to do something else and plock your teleport, or EX armor moves or punish your jump attack and wail on you with a 30% combo's.

Versus good players utilizing a lot of projectiles has no easy answer other than practice and learn and get better.

Ok, my advise, I know exaclty what to do here, I use Kitana also. And if I'm playing someone who spams a lot (as in really taking the piss spamming) then I sometimes use Noob Saibot back in retaliation, (On the condition its not a teleporter), so I know both sides.

If your always playing Kitana the best advise is to always hide your character selection by pushing Square (PS3 version) and select Kitana in secret. Most people don't dare play as Noob if they don't know who they're fighting in fear of getting Smoke, Sektor or Scorpion, who'll take advantage of the spamming

Kitana can beat Noob, Use Down, Back, Square (Is Square referred to as 1, on ps3? New, sorry for Noob question) to get distance so your at the edge of the screen, as far away from him as possible, then when he throws Saibot to shadow run at you jump backwards over him, and throw the fans (Down, Forward, Square) while still in the air when your just about to hit the ground and the fans should hit the top of his head whilst giving you enough space/time to avoid the next run and do the same. When they change their game just get ready to change yours, he hasn't got a lot going for him upclose in my experience other than a couple of combos

With Sheeva you jsut have to perserver, be in and out like a ninja XD I find the best way is to get close and constantly attack, she really doesn't have much against Kitana close-quarters,combo a lot and use throws, then if they're not close, use the down, Back, square move and you will often hit her before she's jumped out the screen completely, if not at least avoid the attack, so it pre-empts the jump, if not gets you up close which is what you want, she's easy, you just need practice, expect to be grabbed once she's hit you too. Its tedius but do-able

Last edited:
If you constantly try to counter-pick based on what your opponent is doing you'll never learn the match ups with your main and in most cases you will lose because you won't the character you picked as well as your main.

Figure out how to beat whatever is bothering you with your main, it may take some loses and some hard work and tears, but in the end it's worth it if you want to better your game.

How many of these threads are we gonna get? How do you deal with "spammers"? You get better. Simple as that

Same way I deal with *******s like yourself, IGNORE THEM!

GET_OVER_HERE said:
Agreed, am surprised how people ain't getting banned for still starting these threads.

It sure is a good thing your not a mod. Wanting to ban someone for asking a question makes YOU an even bigger ass.

@HonourShield= As far as dealing with Noob spammers, spam right back. I actually think Sindel is worse than Noob because you can use her projectiles from the air also. I use Liu Kang and turn it into a spamming match if thats how they want to play it. And whenever I get the opportunity to move in, i try. I noticed in some Noob players though that if I spam like they do and am doing more damage than they are, they usually will switch it up then and try something else.

Last edited:
If you constantly try to counter-pick based on what your opponent is doing you'll never learn the match ups with your main and in most cases you will lose because you won't the character you picked as well as your main.

Completely untrue. If someone tries to spam me and i've a counter spam ready that will beat what they're doing, then i'll do it back, because i know the move, and what they're capable of, and it forces them to play a different way, in which case i'll be ready, if i'm in a projectile fight I'll find a way to win it if i can, because it'll have either 1 of 2 outcomes if i'm able to counter their spam with a better one, they'll either keep doing it and lose, or they'll change their game. A classic example is with Sektor spammers, if i crouch near'ish the wall and constantly tap 4, when he appears he'll miss and get a sore shin for his trouble, and get trapped in the corner, in which case i'll then do my 37% corner combo etc

Beating spammers comes from experience, again knowing their moves, and what you have against it, or how best to deal with it. When they're playing their game, force them to play yours.

Ps, I agree that if you have nothing to contribute to this thread but condemn it then why are you wasting your own time

Completely untrue. If someone tries to spam me and i've a counter spam ready that will beat what they're doing, then i'll do it back, because i know the move, and what they're capable of, and it forces them to play a different way, in which case i'll be ready, if i'm in a projectile fight I'll find a way to win it if i can, because it'll have either 1 of 2 outcomes if i'm able to counter their spam with a better one, they'll either keep doing it and lose, or they'll change their game. A classic example is with Sektor spammers, if i crouch near'ish the wall and constantly tap 4, when he appears he'll miss and get a sore shin for his trouble, and get trapped in the corner, in which case i'll then do my 37% corner combo etc

Beating spammers comes from experience, again knowing their moves, and what you have against it, or how best to deal with it. When they're playing their game, force them to play yours.

Ps, I agree that if you have nothing to contribute to this thread but condemn it then why are you wasting your own time

Thats not what he meant.

He's simply stating you should not hide your main character in the select screen because your avoiding to be counter picked which will in turn make your main a little worse if you don't practice your bad matchups. Not to mention when you go hidden your more likely to eat fighting a cheesy character like raiden.

I hate dickbags that sit there and wait for you to pick your character, and then they counter pick.

It's like I pick Baraka, he hovers over SZ. So I go to Sindel, and then he goes to a rushdown character. What's even more hillarious, is people that go to hidden cursor, then you can "hear them" moving to Raiden. What a joke.

I've learned to simply pick who im going to use straight from the start. If they counter pick, it says more about them and the win is that much greater when you do overcome them (bad match up or not).

I don't have any problems with projectile spammers, my main is smoke.
So i don't have much to share about that since all i always did was shake to counter it.

How to counter sheeva's stomp attack:

walk in any direction :)

don't jump, dash or try to do a special getaway move.
simple walk forward/backwards and wait until she lands (right next to you :) ).

A few special moves to win vs a sheeva stomp:

Noob: Teleport slam
Rain: Water/Aqua-Port
Shan tsung: Up skull
Mileena: Teleport drop (must be timed)

These are the only ones i know and have tested personaly.