David Lee Roth vs Sammy Hagar

Who was the best singer VH ever had?

• Sammy Hagar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tarkatan Trash

It has come to my attention that Van Halen's latest studio album will be out on February 7th. Titled "A Different Kind of Truth", it will be the band's first studio album since Van Halen III (which featured Gary Cherone on vocals), and will also be their first without original bassist Michael Anthony (who has since been replaced by Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang), and the first with David Lee Roth since 1984.

This has me thinking...who do you people think was the best singer in Van Halen's history? I think the general consensus is that one-album-wonder Gary Cherone was the worst in the band's history, which narrows the choices down to original frontman Diamond Dave, and his replacement, The Red Rocker.

I like both eras, to be honest. For me, it has more to do with the instrumental work during each era, as I feel earlier EVH's playing was more technical and fascinating, rawer and livelier, while the 'Van Hagar' days were more polished (or 'produced', if you want to put it pejoratively) sounding. I like aspects of both.

I've heard the new VH single, and it sucks, really badly. So badly, it's an embarrassment to the band. They're having a $100-a-seat concert about an hour from me, which I won't go to, since I can keep that $100 and still listen to someone play drunk and out of tune over at Guitar Center.

If you ask me, if we're talking about only their time in VH, then David Lee Roth has the edge; VH was simply a better and more bad-ass band with Diamond Dave. However, the only reason I don't knock on Hagar as bad as most fans of the DLR era do is because of his solo career, which, if you ask me, is just as strong as VH's DLR era. I haven't heard much of his first band, Montrose, though, so I can't judge his material in that band.

One fun fact about the "Van Hagar" era...the acronym of VH's third album with Hagar actually spells the infamous F-word.