Challenge Tower thoughts

buddyboy101

Hey gang,

It's taken me 3 weeks, but I finally beat the Challenge Tower (w/out paying to pass any of the challenges)!

Overall, it was a cool new feature and makes you a much better player, especially since you can't change the difficulty. Although there were some really interesting challenges (cyber reptile, etc) many of the challenges repeated. I felt like 300 challenges was overkill. I think 100 innovative, well-thought challenges would have been more fun and effective.

Challenge 251 (Baraka, Sindel, Shao Khan) took me THREE days to complete (approx 5 hours). I seriously thought I would never beat it. But somehow I got lucky. The rest were fairly "easy" in comparison, and thank goodness the difficulty lightens up if you fail multiple times.

As far as the reward (Mileena flesh pit costume), I just don't get it. It's not a very cool reward, given the effort required.

My last complaint about the Challenge Tower is that it can be a real tease. Some very cool features that are in the Tower are not in the actual game. I loved the inferno Scorpion (flaming skull) attire, but that's not in the rest of the game (yet?). Same goes for Cyber Reptile, playing as Goro, and classic Scorp/SZ. I have a feeling these features will eventually be unlocked as DLC, but it's a shame they're not so already.

Anyways, kudos to NRS for this fantastic feature. Hopefully they'll refine it a bit more in MK10!

Ya I loved it... Wish there were 1000 challenges.

I wished they brought back kombo challenge from mk vs dcu. That really helped getting some creative ideas for each character

I am glad you could pay to by-pass the challenges. lol

I liked the challenge tower, I just thought some of the challenges were a little overkill especially if you aren't good with the character it is making you use.

I hated the "tilt the world" challenges. Especially when you play Jade and fight Sindel and she is in turbo mode. my head was spinning I couldn't stand it.

I am glad you could pay to by-pass the challenges. lol

I liked the challenge tower, I just thought some of the challenges were a little overkill especially if you aren't good with the character it is making you use.

I hated the "tilt the world" challenges. Especially when you play Jade and fight Sindel and she is in turbo mode. my head was spinning I couldn't stand it.

The worst of the tilt the world was that one you fight Kitana using Mileena, Mileena sucks badly and Kitana was freaking hard, it is in the top 3 hardest challenges IMO.

I really loved challenge tower. The good thing about beating it is that you can pick any character you want for Test Your Luck, it's practically its own game afterwards. I just wish the same were true for Might, Sight, and Strike. Maybe DLC can add tower updates?

I enjoyed the challenge tower. I had difficulty beating the tilt a world stages so i just finally caved in a crouch-kicked -__- took forever. other then that the challenges weren't that difficult IMO. I like how it forces you to be a certain character, making you an all around better player. I have memorized shang tsung and johnny cages moves thanks to challenge tower lols. took me about 7-8 hours to beat it in total. I was disappointed in the reward as well :/ Ed Boon in some interview (dont quote me on this) said that the reward for the tower was going to be really really worth it... maybe if she was naked it would be worth it.. Other then that i thought the challenge tower was really innovative and fun!

The worst of the tilt the world was that one you fight Kitana using Mileena, Mileena sucks badly and Kitana was freaking hard, it is in the top 3 hardest challenges IMO.

yea I am stuck on that one, I gave up. I am good with Mileena, but not good enough. Kitana gets off too many combos, blocks like a beast, and uses that "Square boost" move and I cannot get close to her. I will start off great, then she turns it around and whips the floor with me. not worth the headache lol

I got stuck for a while on challenge 27 I think. That one with the spirit cone thing. Then I found out you could skip

I'm glad someone mentioned this, I thought it was just me. The tilt challenges were very frustrating especially the Kitana one.

BTW spam the sai projectile until she wave punches and lands next to you, then throw her. Rinse & repeat.

BTW spam the sai projectile until she wave punches and lands next to you, then throw her. Rinse & repeat.

OMG IT WORKED....wow that sounds like I was doubting you which I wasn't. I just thought that challenge was IMPOSSIBLE. you are amazing!!!!

We are in total agreement. I thought that one was harder than the final challenge. By far.

i think the tilting of the camera made it worse. trying to focus on the fighting and keeping Kitana at bay is bad enough without adding the stupid tilting

The challenges got repetitive and the reward was NOT worth it. All that for an alt?

Some of the challenges were pretty innovative, but some like the attack with your limb challenges added nothing but stupidity.

Given what Boon said about both the challenge tower and that reveal a while back that was going to "break the internet" (or something to that effect) which turned out to be Noob being playable.....I guess I've learned to really lower my expectations with what NRS says vs. what you'll actually get in return.

It was good, but with a worthwhile reward (unlock all classic costumes and fatalities on disk, some new secret character.....something better than what we got) it could have been great.

I actually finished this yesterday afternoon, it was the first thing that I wanted to do w/ the game other than a quick run through with Jax.

I thought it was a very cool premise, and could even have been more than 300. It really put you to the test with all of the fighters and aspects of the game, upside down, headless, etc. Other than the feeling of accomplishment, the end result was beat.

The Challenge Tower had some awesome moments, but it also had some frustating ones...

It forces you to play with some character you don't really like or whatever and so I lost interest in those challenges and skipped them. Example: I don't like playing as Shang Tsung, his moveset doesn't do me any good LOL, so I wanted to pass them really quickly.

Overall it was a good idea of NRS for them to include this though.

Just finished the Tower today. While there were some fun and interesting challenges, there were also some very frustrating ones...which I somehow was able to beat probably by sheer luck and miraculously didn't skip any.

I definitely agree about the last Tilt the World challenge with Kitana...the match was literally taking me ages because it kept going back and forth, lol. The ones with Johnny Cage also got pretty annoying for some reason and I also took a long time with the Shang Tsung/Shao Kahn matches because I'm definitely not a good player with Shang.

...I also agree that the reward (Flesh Pit Mileena costume) is SO. NOT. WORTH. IT. Even as a Mileena fan. <_<; They really should've thought a bit more on that, in my opinion...

Overall it was okay but I'm definitely not going through that again (at least not in this game).

Agreed on the tower, I like having to play as different characters that may be out of your comfort zone, but the end reward was underwhelming. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing it return for MK10 with a little revamping.