Alien KombatKast

Rain didn't have any significant role in Mortal Kombat until Armageddon, which is the game MK9 was trying to prevent from repeating. Better to leave him out than to shoehorn him in.

It's not about what "role" he had when and where. If that was the case, Quan Chi shouldn't even have been on the roster. And if you want to talk about significance, I'd like to hear your reason for why Baraka, Reptile, Sheeva and Kintaro were in the game, since their significance in MK9 was reduced to "fight this guy and lose" like common henchmen.

Quan Chi's role was bigger than almost anybody's though. You couldn't have told that story without him. And even before MK9, he was written to have been manipulating shit before the MK tournament.

Reptile, Baraka and Kintaro are noteworthy henchmen of Shao Kahn. They may not be important to the story as a whole, but when you think of Shao Kahn's forces (What the game was about) you're bound to think of at least one of them.

Rain's inclusion will always be debatable. He was only available of a port of a main game, was irrelevant in said inclusion and was completely forgotten about until he was forced to come back for the final hoorah. His "right" to be on the main roster is nothing more than fan demand because he's in the same boat as Chameleon.

Quan Chi's role was bigger than almost anybody's though. You couldn't have told that story without him. And even before MK9, he was written to have been manipulating shit before the MK tournament.

Reptile, Baraka and Kintaro are noteworthy henchmen of Shao Kahn. They may not be important to the story as a whole, but when you think of Shao Kahn's forces (What the game was about) you're bound to think of at least one of them.

Rain's inclusion will always be debatable. He was only available of a port of a main game, was irrelevant in said inclusion and was completely forgotten about until he was forced to come back for the final hoorah. His "right" to be on the main roster is nothing more than fan demand because he's in the same boat as Chameleon.

Thing is... that story already was told without Quan Chi once before. He was later written in as being someone who manipulated events in the background... but in MK9 he was pretty much all up front and in the spotlight.

And correction... They WERE noteworthy henchmen of Shao Kahn, in the old timeline. In MK9, they were just random encounters. Because they were written and represented as such in the game. If the writers wanted it different, they could have made it different, which I think they should have - which also includes Rain.

But oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda... As disappointed as I am with these things, there's not much anyone of us can do about it. But I will take the liberty to share my opinion about it in an environment meant for discussing these things.

Last edited:
I recognize Alien's popularity... it just never hit with me. I was never a fan. In any way. I don't like the movies, I don't like the Xenomorph's design, I don't think it is a cool character...

^^
This, this, this 100%.
My exact feelings, as well.

Plus, I'll also echo what [MENTION=17726]Noob-Zer013[/MENTION] said, some people like some guests and dislike other guests, and some dislike guests altogether.
I used to dislike guests altogether, because I hated the idea of being stuck with a guest, whether you like it or not (Kratos).
I've since then changed my mind and have said that as long as they're not on the main roster, I don't mind them.
Afterall, it affects no one whether or not I buy a guest, aside from NRS.
Unless you work for NRS, whether or not I buy any DLC is none of anyone's business, and with online patches you can still fight against those that don't have those characters.
Sometimes people on here (not you incubus) can be worse than $ony and M$ console fanboys.
Just enjoy what you play and let others enjoy what they play. Jeez.
While I normally don't care for guests I didn't mind Predator because he was the original inspiration for Cyrax and Sektor, as well as Sub-Zero's Spine Rip.
Back when KP1 was announced, and Sektor, Cyrax or Smoke weren't even thought about with Tri-Borg, either.
On top of that, the most important thing was that Predator didn't take up a main roster spot, as it should have been since MK9 but I'm glad that NRS followed that model with MKX.
Predator also isn't a horror guest character, which is why I also didn't mind him being in.

Now, while I don't care for Leatherface or Alien, again I'm happy for those that DO want them.
I've stated various times.
That said, it's been hinted at / said that in the next Kombat Kast that they would show another Stage Fatality, so while I don't care for Alien I do care to see the new stage Fatality (hopefully with the Kraken).

I prefer MK characters to be in over guest as well. But its time to just move on. There is no point of constantly bringing up who should have been in the game (we all know that already).

I prefer MK characters to be in over guest as well. But its time to just move on. There is no point of constantly bringing up who should have been in the game (we all know that already).

True, I have lost hope for MKX and are slowly moving on to MK11 now.
But right at this moment, only Tusk matters to me. <3

And the worst part of it was that not only was he Playstation exclusive, effing over Xbox players who did not get an exclusive character in return, but he also took up a spot that SHOULD have been given Rain!
Well... either Kratos or Quan Chi, but that is a debate we've already had many a time back then. :p

I think Ed Boon addressed the Kratos issue a while ago on Twitter, saying something to the effect of "It's more complicated than that," regarding Xbox not getting an exclusive character.
I'm pretty sure that NRS wanted to have a guest character for Xbox too, but Microsoft somehow dropped the ball on that deal.

Doesn't matter what anyone says, Rain was part of the original Trilogy and the fact he wasn't in the main roster was simply utter stupidity, imo. I feel the same with the cameos in MKX not being on the main roster, and not even being given a Kombat Pack in order to make them playable. And it just pokes me the wrong way that there are 4 freaking guest characters in the game INSTEAD of the cameo characters!

I agree with you 100% there, regarding Rain for MK9.
I also agree with you in that I don't care for 4 guests. 2? Fine.
After that I start to wonder why NRS doesn't just do a Terrordome game and call it a day.

People have begged for Fujin since the announcement of MKX, but instead they are given the middle finger by NRS.
Hey, we got Tanya, and I'm happy for that... but she should have been in the main roster from the start along with the other cameo characters! NRS wasn't finished with her character model and gameplay at the release, fair enough, they put her finished self in a Kombat Pack... but where are the rest?

So no, even if it was guest characters I like, I would still not want that character in the game over those.

Yeah, and I was 1 of those people begging for Fujin.
Agreed again.
Good to see that I'm not the only 1 who sees it as a middle finger, but of course if I say that it's "you're exaggerating" or "silly" or "ridiculous" for seeing that as a middle finger to the Fujin fans.
Tanya and Tri-Borg, for me, are why Fujin not being in is such a poor excuse.
Here are 5 characters (Sektor, Cyrax, Smoke, Cyber Sub-Zero, Tanya) who have little (or no) story relevance, except for a quick cameo shot or quick fight, if that, and that's it.
So, Fujin not being in as DLC because of relevance is a terrible excuse.

Same for me.
MK characters should always have priority over guests, imo.

Are people really delusional enough to believe there won't be as much, if not even more, guests in MK11?

ETA: I don't like it, but it's a big draw of MK nowadays and it's here to stay.

Last edited:
Not delusional, just... hopeful... that there won't be that many.

Precisely.
I don't want to see it get to a point where 1/3 of the roster (DLC or main roster) is guests.
As it is I didn't expect 2 more guests, and starting with MKX KP2 I'm getting the DLC characters separately, from now on.
KP1 was the only and last season pass I'll ever get from NRS.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
You're misquoting this, though it's a very common mistake.

The actual quote is: 'Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.'

Source: George Walker Bush.

Are people really delusional enough to believe there won't be as much, if not even more, guests in MK11?

ETA: I don't like it, but it's a big draw of MK nowadays and it's here to stay.

Lol. Yayyyyy for guest characters. Whoop whoop.