We decided to make a side page for now for the list of places for the empty MK4 Cabinets because the list is going to get big. We added a few more places and organized them alphabetically. The list can be found here. Thanks to Milkbone and Azrael-X for some of the new places. If you know of a place not on the list please email Patrick McCarron - firstname.lastname@example.org to get it added, Thanks
Upon hearing of the cabinet scourge across the country, TetterkeT gave his local arcades in Central California a ring. They did in fact have the cabinets and anticipated that they would recieve the boards sometime this week. This seems to coincide with the release of version 0.99 containing new features.
New Chicago Test Version Installed!
Swamp (aka Greg) informed McCarron that the new MK4 upgrade was at Dennis's Place For Games. It was later confirmed that the other test sites have recieved a new version also. Here is the first round of info from Swamp (he was upset because the sound was turned off at Dennis's):
- Noob is gone and Jarek has replaced him. He is from Kano's Black Dragon Organization and he also looks alot like Kano in an eerie sort of way we are told. His Cannonball Spin is: B, F, LK and he has Raiden's hammer.
- Sonya has a new cartwheel: D, F, LK
- Reptile now has an acid spit and he thinks Shinnok's Staff
- MUCH More Fatality time, about 5 seconds more (hmmm... what can that mean?)
- Sub-Zero now has either a new sword or Scorpion's old one (not sure), but someone else got the Axe (Scorp still has his sword).
- Kai has Shinnok's Staff.
McCarron will be going to the arcade tomorrow to check more stuff out, so expect a huge update on the Chicago Coverage page tomorrow. Thanks again to Swamp.
Midway's Official MK4 Site has been updated and sports a new look! There's a handy navigation bar along the top of all of the pages and a new image has been added to the gallery section. Ain't life grand?!
Patrick McCarron, our Chicago correspondant, returned from the arcade with some more info and news on the new MK4 revision. The version is now 0.99 and is dated September 1st, 1997. Here are the highlights from his huge update on the Chicago Coverage page:
- Jarek now replaces Noob Saibot on the select screen and has two moves: a cannonball move like Kano (B,F,LK) and a telekinetic body slam (unblockable - B,D,B,HK).
- Noob still exists in the character towers.
- Reptile now has moves and Sonya now has a new cartwheel.
- Some weapons changed hands from player to player.
- Some moves aren't as cheap as before, and some were sped up.
- Select Screen icons can't be flipped anymore.
- STORYLINE: There is an intro movie with Raiden talking about Shinnok being a fallen elder god banished to the Netherealm. Somehow he found a way back and the war for the Earth Realm will be played out, but this time mortals can win.
- New victory stances for some people
- STAGE FATALITY: Player walks up to you and picks you up by side and waist and starts to spin around. The camera rotates around the players spinning once and then zooms in behind the back of the players. Camera then zooms to a view of the players and fan. The player is thrown into the fan shredding them into blood and body parts (not a lot, and actually from the player, perfect amount of parts that there should be). Then it announces who won and the players head comes flying at the screen.
- Different player colors in two player matches are now in partial effect.
- CORRECTION: A Boss character is not in the game, as reported yesterday.
A lot of bugs are now fixed in the game since the Road Tour, check out the Chicago Coverage page for more specifics. We hope to have pictures of the new features by the end of the weekend. This version looks very solid and is a strong candidate for wide range distribution.
Midway presents their Evil Pays contest in conjunction with the release of Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero, 9/30/97 for Playstation and 11/4/97 for N64. Supposedly, there is a postcard included in each copy of Mythologies and if you send it in, your name gets put into a drawing for cold hard cash. The faster you send in the postcard, the more chances and more money you can win. You can also enter as many times as you want. There will be 12 weekly drawings in which one person will be drawn at random for the amount for the corresponding week. Here is what you can win.
Issue #99 of Electronic Gaming Monthly has a cool cover page picture of Raiden, and 4 pages of coverage that give a brief overview of the game and it's history. Also included in these 4 pages are breakdowns of each individual character. The majority of the pictures are from the Road Tour before the first update. EGM also indicates that the MK4 team will be getting rid of the lame picture with text at the bottom endings and are, as we speak, planning out the scripts of the cinematic sequences of each character's individual endings. As for fatalities, there definitely will be Scorpion's fire breath and Sub-Zero's spine rip along with other graphically and perspectively enhanced finishers
Ed updated his MK4
page last night with 4 new pictures, a mysterious link
at the top of the page, and also stated that MK4 is now in production. The pictures feature Reptile doing his acid spit and a few shots of Jarek -- the new character that we have not seen yet. So, give a ring to your local arcade this weekend and ask if they've recieved MK4. Hopefully, we'll be able to get some footage over the weekend to you
Ed Boon added three additional pictures to his MK4 page yesterday. The first is a high quality image of the brand new character select screen (also larger in size than previous select screen images) featuring Jarek who occupies the slot formerly held by Noob Saibot. The second is an image of Raiden with his back to the camera, although it is slightly different from the shot of Raiden's back featured in Preview AVI #1. The third and final image is a screenshot of Tanya VS Reptile. Notice that on a couple of the images there are no life meters? Interesting... Finally, the link to Ed's mysterious '2' page is
still there, but in a slightly different place
Here it is, the intro storyline of MK4 word for word from the game. To get this in a low quality WAV format or some pics and a WAV of the new Prison Stage Fatality goto the Chicago Coverage Page.
"Thousands of years ago in a battle with the fallen elder god known as Shinnok, I was responsible for the death of an entire civilization. To rid all realms of Shinnok's menace I waged a war that plunged the earth into centuries of darkness and banished Shinnok to a place called the Netherealm. Now after Shao Kahn's defeat at the hands of Earth's warriors, Shinnok has managed to escape his confines of the Netherealm. The war is now being fought once again, and this time it can be won by mortals." - Raiden
Patrick McCarrron went over to Galaxy World when he was in the area and noticed a new version of MK4 was installed with a newer chipset. This chipset had no noticeable changes except that now the weapon moves were different for each character. More tomorrow when he returns to find out the rest
Eurocom, the same company that handled the home translations for War Gods, will produce Mortal Kombat 4 for the Nintendo64, Playstation, and Windows95 DirectX API. All three are planned to be released simultaneously. Details are forth coming.
The MK4 Printable Moves List has been updated again. Each character's weapon draw has been added as well as a few other moves. The enhanced web version of the move list is currently in production and you can see a preview here
Central California correspondent TetterkeT reports that MK4 has hit the West Coast. He got to play for a full hour with no disruptions and was very pleased with the progress that the game has made since he played it at the MK4 Road Tour in Milpitas, CA.
There have been wide spread reports that other arcades from around the country have received their MK4 boards as well. Call your local arcade and see if it's there.
Most, if not all, arcades that have had the empty cabinet have now received the version 1.0 board. They consist of mainly Nickel and Dimes owned franchises. Remember, call your arcade before you decide to go down there and check if they have received their board. Also, before you leave for the arcade, don't forget to print out our 1 Page Printable Mini Moves List. Minor corrections have been added, everything has been confirmed for version 1.0 since September 11, 1997. Now go out there and practice
Midway has sent out manual amendments to the owners of Mortal Kombat 4 machines. This amendment flyer details on how the fatalities can be turned either on or off by a
DIP switch. So far, the prison stage fatality is the only fatality confirmed by TRMK Staff
Today one of the TRMK staff witnessed a player do a Raiden Impersonation. There have been reports that perhaps Shinnok couldn't impersonate Raiden because the two kombatants are at war, but we now know that this is false. The movement is D - F - F - HP
Our Chicago Correspondent Patrick McCarron was playing Mortal Kombat 4 at a local arcade and he saw
Quan Chi's Fatality, which everyone thought was a rumor.
- Quan Chi grabs his opponent's leg and begins to yank, but then places his leg against his opponent's leg for added force. He pulls until he snaps their leg off, causing them to fall to the ground. Quan then proceeds to beat his lifeless opponent with the leg in hand. Every hit spurts blood, and looks more gruesome than it sounds.
- Reports of other fatalities have been coming in also, such as Sub-Zero's head rip and Raiden's electricity head explosion.
- Sub-Zero's head rip was described exactly the way everyone else had explained it. He walks around to the back of his opponent, starts to pull on the opponent's head, and then, on the 3rd pull, he yanks it off. The head has the spine attached, the body falls over, and a big puddle of blood surrounds the area.
- Raiden's electricity head explosion was said to have more detail to it as well. Raiden holds his hand back as he charges some electricity, unleashes it into his opponent, and then their head explodes.
I'm sure many of you are wondering why we are late in getting the news to you on the fatalities. You may have seen reports of these fatalities since Monday, and we have been receiving e-mail about them since that day as well. I want to make something clear: We want to make sure that we're informing the readers of actual facts about the game, or other productions. This involves one of our staff members to actually witness something to confirm that it exists. I realize that in doing so, we might be a couple days late in getting the story to you. However, this does cut down on the numerous reports that are flawed and don't exist. It's a sacrifice we're willing to make in order to get factual information to the readers
TRMK presents, two Quicktime Movies of the prison stage fatality, one high-resolution the other low-resolution. Also, there is one AVI file for people who cannot get QuickTime files working on their computers.
Please visit our new Movies Center as there will be more movies available in the near future
Mortal Kombat 4 lead programmer Ed Boon updated his Home Page tonite. He added a picture of Jarek holding a new bladed weapon, and Kai throwing a stone he seemed to pick up in the stage. He also shows a picture of the new MK4 VS Screen. It has the same basic format of the MK3 VS Screen, but now has a more detailed background, and the characters (who are highly detailed) cast a shadow on the background. Also on Ed's Secret Page it now says: "re2iinosv" under the image of the unknown character. Which can be unscrambled to read: "revision 2" Here are the pictures from Ed's page who also says that these are "pics of some of the new stuff in Revision 2.0"
The movement could be simplified; however, it should work in it's current form. I, myself, have tried only a couple of times, but could not sucessfully pull off the fatality. Try variations of the above movement. Congrats go out to the Sawman and MKX for striking first blood
The recent slew of pictures created the need to update the Picture Gallery. It now includes the latest screenshots from Mortal Kombat Annihilation, the upcoming movie sequel. Go check it out. Also, if you haven't seen the Prison Stage Fatality, then go download the quicktime movie of it in our Movie Center. Thanks to PMuller for the MKA tip.
A source up at Nickels & Dimes has reported that they expect the next revision of MK4 sent out to it's franchises on October 6th. However, this date isn't set in stone. Anything could, and probably will, happen between now and October 6th that might delay the release.
Congrats goes out to SekTrax, for nailing down the correct movement of Raiden's Prison Stage Fatality. This move has been confirmed by three TRMK staff members. The movement is:
D - F - B - BL (close)
The 1 page Printable MK4 Moves List has been updated with the new movement. For some reason the AOL browser chokes on it, we appologize the inconvenience and hope to remedy the situation soon. Also, please visit our MK4 HTML Moves Section if you desire a more graphical version of our moves list
Gamespot News has reported that Mortal Kombat 4 is projected to be released late spring of 1998 for the Playstation and the Nintendo64. As we reported earlier, the developer will be Eurocom, the same company that did the War Gods home version ports. The report doesn't say anything about the PC version; however, our sources have stated that we should expect the PC version no later than 1 month after the console release.
Apparently the new version of the software has hit several arcades in the Chicago area. Diversions and Dennis' Place were the only 2 we heard reports about, but other arcades in that vicinity may have the upgrade as well (call your local arcade for details). Here are some of the highlights:
- The 3 middle question marks on the character select screen are
now filled by Noob Saibot, Jax, & Johnny Cage respectively (Perhaps there will be no UKKs this time around?)
- The damage for many combos has been reduced substantially (by 50% in some cases)
- "Side-step" has been added allowing players to move in 3D ever so slightly (motion unclear and will be announced later)
- Goro's Lair has rocks scattered about and players can pick them up (like they would a weapon - D+RUN) to throw at their opponent
- Computer AI has been made more difficult
- "Danger" has been added (when you only have a sliver of life left)
- Character Bios are now in the game; we should have them all for you
as soon as we can get them
- Shinnok is now at the top of every tower (could this mean he will be the boss character?)
- Still no endings
- Match up screens for 2 player mode are in and the Kombat Kode boxes are there as well (not as many symbols this time around)
- Sub-Zero has a new staff-like weapon and supposedly when other characters use it, they can freeze their opponent.
- Apparently characters can throw their weapons at their opponents causing considerable amounts of damage if not blocked
Extra special thanks to kn0wledge
for bringing this information to our attention
Our Chicago Correspondant, Patrick McCarron checked out the test for what will be 2.0 eventually. We will be updating with a new 2.0 Mini Moves List soon. Here is what he noticed:
- Tanya now has a Screw Kick ala Cammy in SSF2T (F, F, LK) and her Fireball (D, F, HP) can't be done in the air anymore. Her fireballs are pink now, and her ground one is done like Raiden throws his fireball.
- Jarek has a pink fireball like Sonya (D, B, LP) and has a new breaker where he kicks your knee in sideways, really painful looking. Also he now carries a large bladed sword.
- Sub-Zero's new weapon the Ice Staff can freeze opponents with B+LP (close) for the weapon move.
- Reptile gets his Super Krawl Move (F, B, LK), it's alot like a mix of Sub's slide and Mileena's roll ball move, he quickly crawls under your feet and knock you over.
- Quan Chi now has a slide move (we think D, B, LK), not the same as Sub-Zero's slide but similiar. And has a new skimpy blade weapon.
- The Hammer and the Spiked Club have a screen smash now (F+LP, close)
- Johnny Cage (with a MK2ish like look to him with glasses on all the time) returns in the middle right ? Mark. He has his Classic Nuts Punch (BL+LP) and his Shadow Kick (B, F, LK) with a cool new look to it, and finally has his dashing uppercut, hits 3 times, B, D, B, HP. Also seems Cage likes to drink anti-freeze, he doesn't show up frozen when Sub freezes him.
- Jax returns with a MK2ish outfit but now with his MK3 Metal Arms, he is in the middle of the select screen. Jax has his ground pound (F, F, D, LK) and now creates a large ring of energy that circles the arena. He has a Dashing Punch that hits 3 times (F, D, B, LP) and his Air Backbreaker "Gotcha" move (BL in air next to opponent) Jax wants to act like a girl when he does his breaker tho, do it for a laugh.
- Noob Saibot returns from past MK4 betas with nothing changed since we last saw him.
- Kombat Kodes return via the VS Screen. We know two Codes: "Kode 1: Free Weapon" which is 111-111, it drops one weapon to the center of the arena when the fight starts, weapon is random. Also there is "Kode 2: Throwing Disabled" which is what it says, disables throws (not breakers tho)
- To throw your weapon do the weapon move with a weapon in hand.
- To pick up the rocks or heads on a stage hit D+RUN over them to instantly pick up and throw.
- To 3D Dodge hit Run two times in a row really quick. This can avoid projectiles and get to weapons easier, but is really slow.
- Fujin's spin and levitate have new effects. The spin shows a tornado around him, and the levitate shows debris floating up also.
- Some weapons work in air with HP, LP so you can jump in with weaponns to hit them with the weapons.
- New Winning poses for most people, really cool zoom effects on them now.
- More to come...
Special Thanks to Swamp who describes the fatal in such an enthusiastic manner.
"He picks you up and then the camera changes so you can only see the top of the opponent, then raiden charges electricity into you and blue lines start a flashing, then fire starts coming out and you explode and the view switches to overhead and then the head flies up towards the camera and then gravity takes it back down. IT IS SOOOOO DAMN GRAPHICALLY COOL!!!"
Our Chicago Correspondant, Patrick McCarron forgot to mention that there is now a 2 on 2 mode in MK4. When you insert credits you are presented with a nice clean looking picture of the MK4 logo and blue background and two options 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 Kombat (written in the same style the words MORTAL KOMBAT are). He hasn't tried 2 on 2 yet, but will soon.
Our Chicago Correspondent, Patrick McCarron played some more of the test version of 2.0 and came back with more small details.
- Cage Uniform details: Cage wears black pants and no shirt. On his pants are a few horizontal white stipes. There is a blue belt, wristguard, and shinguards. He also sports some classic Adidas black shoes, with the white stripes.
- Jax is almost the same as he was in MK3. He has the big boots and the dual color pants, except now it's Red and Black, not Purple like in MK3. His arms actually LOOK metallic now, not just dark grey. He also sports a mustache.
- Computer AI is much improved but was acting really weird. It seems Shinnok has Jax's sliding dash punch, and uses it a lot. And Jax does Sonya's pink fireball and his Quad Throw. We tried to find these moves with no avail.
- During the Intro Screen where you pick 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 Kombat if you wait a long time the game says "What Are You Waiting For?"
- Game Intro after the MK4 logo screen a black screen with "The Greatest Warrior" and three initials roating far away. Then the game speaks it and says "The Greatest Warrior is..." then speaks each inital letter as it rotates to full screen, "P.. R.. M"
- Tanya now has an almost complete two outfits. The 2nd player color is a pink color and on the legs has a different design than player 1's legs. Part of Player 2 is still yellow tho.
- Quan Chi's Foot Slide is F, F, LK, not D, B, LK as I thought last night.
- Shinnok and Sub-Zero each have their own color uniforms. Sub's 2nd color is a light blue and Shinnok's is a silver outfit lining.
- Raiden Fatality below confirmed, he did it 3/5 loses to him, much better odds than before. Also saw Sub-Zero's Fatality.
- New uppercuts in Combos, you can now add D+HP into combos to uppercut someone in the combo, a good example of the combo is HP, D+HP, quick 2 hits.
- Stage Fatalities DO work now, so Ed must have enabled them already.
Midway Home Entertainment gears up for the BIG release of the highly anticipated Mortal Kombat Mythologies Sub-Zero. This totally new adventure title pits Sub-Zero against the mighty forces of Shinnok. During the course of the game parts of Sub-Zero's past are revealed which explains many of the rivalries between his opponents. Stores should have it on the shelves by October 2nd. To learn more about MKM:S-Z visit our Preview of MKM:S-Z and the Picture Gallery
A printable moves list has been created for the test version of Revision 2. You can still get the version 1.0 moves list by clicking here. The HTML Moves List will remain at version 1.0 until 2.0 goes national