What's a scrub player?

aj327

I keep seeing that term thrown around and I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean someone who uses cheap moves all the time? A spammer? What?

Pretty much what you said.

IMO, its a player with no skill AND no ambition to grow better.

the way i see it a scrub is someone who picks the easiest thing and uses it over adn over with no real attempt at bettering themselves, if it gets nerfed/fixed they will float to the next unbalanced feature to abuse it. They could make the char they are using truly deadly if they took the time but instead they opt to just use the same tactic over adn over.

its similar to spamming since in mk9 most unbalanced/really effective abilities are specials.

Srubs are always hangin out the passengers side of their best friend's ride, trying to hollar at me.........I don't want no scrubs.

A scrub is someone who thinks they're a lot better than they really are at fighting games.

Scrubs are really bad players that think they are it. They think they can take on top players when in fact they're just... really bad at the game.

They don't even have a grasp of the basics but they're convinced they know it all.

aj327 said:
Does it mean someone who uses cheap moves all the time? A spammer? What?
Actually, it's the people calling others "spammers" and "cheap" that are usually the scrubs. Because they don't know how to deal with zoning or teleports for example. So they say it's cheap. When in fact the truth is they just suck too much and don't know how to block and punish it.

Last edited:
Anyone who blames losing on anything other than being outplayed.
The exception being the MK:9 - power point edition that some of these matches turn into

Scrubs are really bad players that think they are it. They think they can take on top players when in fact they're just... really bad at the game.

They don't even have a grasp of the basics but they're convinced they know it all.

This. They're the kids that brag like crazy to start the match and after every single 3-hit combo, but then rage quit and send hatemail after that get rocked lol.

the way i see it a scrub is someone who picks the easiest thing and uses it over adn over with no real attempt at bettering themselves, if it gets nerfed/fixed they will float to the next unbalanced feature to abuse it. They could make the char they are using truly deadly if they took the time but instead they opt to just use the same tactic over adn over.

its similar to spamming since in mk9 most unbalanced/really effective abilities are specials.

I disagree, it's smart to use top tiers to get a lead. It's your own fault of you choose a low tier and lower your options. You play to win even if that means picking the high tiers. Pros are not scrubs at all, and they Change mains to the top tier all the time. The only problem with this though is if someone was only using 1 character since the beginning, and they were mid tier. Then the game is finally balanced. The guy who kept choosing high tiers although smart, now he devoted like all his play time amongst 4-5 characters instead of just mastering 1 like a Genie.

Pretty much what you said.

IMO, its a player with no skill AND no ambition to grow better.

AMBITION is a large part of why people are called scrubs. They are essentially people who play the game but have 100% no drive to actually think/improve, they just want to win mashing their controller or spamming 2-5 moves over and over. Now don't get this mixed up with people who spam... but try to learn. If they spam.. but then ask you why their tactic didn't work. They are not a scrub.

It's a mentality, not really actions you do.

Example of scrub like behavior: (I'M QUITTING BECAUSE THEY NERFED MY CHARACTER!!! AND MADE IT BALANCED)
Some people can't handle losing their power lol. When kung lao gets nerfed I bet alot of people will jump off the kung lao train just because they think their character is like low tier now or something lol.

Imbalance tends to show things offscale, someone who thinks they are really good, but use the tippy top tier(Kung Lao) but lets say fights a sheeva and barely pulls wins as in alot of the time it's pretty close. The kung lao is actually a way worse player than sheeva, but now that the patch will be out that kung lao player will think kung lao is now unplayable because the "sheeva he use to wreck now wrecks him"

People who ask for nerfs on things w/o doing extensive research and time on trying to figure out how to beat it first.

Last edited:
It's a blanket term for a ineffective player. I understand that most people just play for fun and have no intention of being the best player. However, it's those who have a tendency to blame the game or other players that bothers me.

Last edited:
Pretty much 90% of scorpion players

I just wanted to post that, but i had wrote 100%. lol. :) Imho every Smoke Player... i find it funny that i pick Noob without hidden Cursor always, and SO much people just go straight to Smoke after that, even if its not their Main, because they think they know how the Shit works, and Smoke is a #1 Counter to Noob, right? And then, they fail very very hard... lol. That is a scrub for me.

I just wanted to post that, but i had wrote 100%. lol. :) Imho every Smoke Player... i find it funny that i pick Noob without hidden Cursor always, and SO much people just go straight to Smoke after that, even if its not their Main, because they think they know how the Shit works, and Smoke is a #1 Counter to Noob, right? And then, they fail very very hard... lol. That is a scrub for me.

I like this one.

"Oh shit he picked Johnny Cage. *Moves cursor to Kung Lao* I got this."