Tom & Jerry

liukang234

Tom and Jerry is an American series of theatrical animated cartoon films created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, centering on a never-ending rivalry between a cat (Tom) and a mouse (Jerry) whose chases and battles often involved comic violence. Hanna and Barbera ultimately wrote and directed one hundred and fourteen Tom and Jerry shorts at the MGM cartoon studio in Hollywood, California between 1940 and 1957, when the animation unit was closed. The original series is notable for having won the Academy Award for Animated Short Film seven times, tying it with Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies as the theatrical animated series with the most Oscars. A longtime television staple, Tom and Jerry has a worldwide audience that consists of children, teenagers and adults, and has also been recognized as one of the most famous and longest-lived rivalries in American cinema. In 2000, TIME named the series one of the greatest television shows of all time.

Characters:
Tom Cat
21_Tom%2520The%2520Cat.jpg
Thomas "Tom" Cat is a fictional character and half of the academy-award winning Tom and Jerry cartoon cat-and-mouse duo. He is a blue/grey anthropomorphic cat who first appeared in the 1940 animated short Puss Gets the Boot.[1] Tom was originally known as "Jasper" during his debut in that short,[2] however, beginning from his next appearance in The Midnight Snack and onwards, he is known as "Tom" or "Thomas".[3]
Jerry Mouse
277673-175026-jerry_large.jpg

Gerald "Jerry" Mouse is a fictional animated character, one of the main characters in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's series of Tom and Jerry theatrical cartoon short films. Created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, Jerry is a brown anthropomorphic mouse, who first appeared in the 1940 MGM animated short Puss Gets the Boot.[1] Hanna gave the mouse's original name as "Jerry",[2] while Barbera claimed the mouse went unnamed in his first appearance.[1]​

Personally, one of my favorite cartoons when I was growing up, and I still enjoy to watch it. I just want to post this to say how disappointed I am with the new Tom & Jerry cartoons. I know that in this generation, we have learned more and that we should promote violence and smoking in cartoon shows, but that's exactly what Tom & Jerry is. It's violent, and it's funny. What sparked this was this I found on the Tom and Jerry Wikipedia: Warner Bros. has plans for a theatrically released film starring Tom and Jerry, slated for a 2011 release. The film will be, according to Variety, "an origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home". So far Dan Lin will be producing the film, while screenwriter Eric Gravning is also hired on the project. Warner Bros., in their Variety review, replied they are using Tom and Jerry to create their own "Alvin and the Chipmunks family franchise". "Alvin and the Chipmunks family franchise" doesn't fit T&J much, don't you think? The show deserves much more then this. Also, apparently there was a show from 2005-2008 called "Tom & Jerry Tales" that actually made a return to the classic 1940's cartoons, which I plan to find and comment on later. And here are some of my favorite episodes.

call me weird, but I always rooted for Tom. I remember him catching jerry in a bottle at the end of an episode and that was my favorite.

in fact, just about any of the old X chases Y cartoons, I always wanted the underdog to win. Like Sylvester and Wile E Coyote

also I liked the older Tom and Jerry ones better than the Chuck Jones ones

I watch this every morning while I get dressed for school. This show is part of what makes starting my day so great.

call me weird, but I always rooted for Tom. I remember him catching jerry in a bottle at the end of an episode and that was my favorite.

in fact, just about any of the old X chases Y cartoons, I always wanted the underdog to win. Like Sylvester and Wile E Coyote

also I liked the older Tom and Jerry ones better than the Chuck Jones ones
I think almost everyone liked those better. I think they had a lot more violence in them, as well.
I watch this every morning while I get dressed for school. This show is part of what makes starting my day so great.
Yeah. I can imagine. When I was younger, I had a VHS Tape of a bunch of Tom and Jerry Episodes, and every night I'd watch them.

no kids cartoon today could get away with having a suicidal duck as a character

I loved those ones the best

Loved this show, and I still do, I watch it all the time when I get home from my 11:00 class :)
My favorite one has to be where they're in some kind of mall or supermarket. And in the end Tom gets hit by a train

Easily my favorite show of all time! I liked the ones by Fred Quimby the most. Sadly the series started going downhill for me with spinoffs like Tom and Jerry kids. The new ones which shows up nowsdays on CN makes me cringe.

However I never get tired of watching all the old ones, how many ever times it maybe. :)

I always woke up early in the morning to watch this show.

I didn't know Tom & Jerry was made in the 40's - 50's? :neutral:

Last edited:
OMG! I catch this show every other day on CN. Wish they could make more episodes :l. remember every Saturday morning watching this. For reason i disliked tom alot :L But loved Jerry :D