The ridiculous predicament of 38 Studios

Love Cowboy

Article:http://deadspin.com/5910569/curt-schillings-video-game-company-might-cost-taxpayers-112-million

Basically, former baseball player Curt Schilling created a video game company after his retirement, and the state of Rhode Island loaned him $75 million to help it get started in order to foster job creation in the state. Now, they're having trouble paying it back.

How in the world did anyone think this would work? Did no one inform Rhode Island or Schilling about how long it takes for a game company to get started, let alone start making that kind of money? What do you guys think of this?

It was a really dumb investment. I know times are rough and you need to create new jobs, but I don't think that's the right way to do it. If they were going to loan money to any game studio then it should've been a small indie company who already have fans and have created solid games before. As I said times are rough and you have to spend money to make money, but you have to spend money wisely to make money.

Go Red Sox!?

I knew he had started up a game company and was interested to see what was produced, but I had no idea they borrowed 75 million from RI to do it.

So... I think RI is stupid for lending the money to any one company... not sure how they thought that would benefit the entire state, not to mention a gaming company over say, a super market or home grown retail store. Something that spans more than one building and could have an impact on the entire state, not just a small fraction of it.

Schilling must be one hell of a pitch man though to get them to bite on that. I wonder if he showed up wearing his bloody sock?

I'm trying to wrap my head around how the 15 people that make up the Rhode Island population had that kind of money to spare.

I also like how that dickbag allowed his team to keep working for a month without pay (so their bills will now fall behind) but managed to pay HIS bill to the state. Way to go.

38 Studios deserves to go bankrupt! I haven't bought a damn one of their games, anyway, because it goes against everything I stand for to support a company owned by a filthy Dead Sock...or Red Suck...or whatever that guy was!

PS: Go Yankees!