The Official "Why Reptile" thread

I can only hope that NRS gives us brand new characters or some post MK3 characters via DLC.

Most people will buy the seasons pass anyways so they already have your money. They can take chances with DLC
I'm not buying the season pass, because I heard the Injustice season pass only covered 4/6 characters and didn't include $40+ worth of costumes. I don't support that kind of crap.

I think Reptile returning is a good thing. Reptile is one of the most popular characters in the series and has been in almost every MK game since MK1. I think they can give him proper development for once with Shao Kahn gone.

Not all seasons passes include all the DLC and they tell you that before hand.

It's still BS to release dozens of DLC pieces without some sort of discount for buying them all in bulk. Some people like to have their games be complete, ya know.

But, no, I'll just wait for the Komplete Edition for the MKX DLC.

For better comparison....
The V-Cut and hood are the only real similarity im seeing.
Well, he is a lizard guy in both pics.

Cause, it's Reptile and he was apart of the OG characters!

Reptile looks and plays awesome.

I hope Liu Kang will be in this game though :/.

I can see the likeness. But if you can't, well...

I'm still waiting for you to point out specifics. I'll tell you some of the differences I've noticed.
1. The mask opens up (in addition to having a metallic look to it)
2. Reptile's tongue now being present as an in-game weapon adds to his look like never before
3. Bones are on his V-neck now and arranged in a tribal-like fashion
4. The hood has a silver material stretched over the black, meaning it is double layered. If you pause the reveal trailer at 1:03, you can also see there are line patterns on the side of it
5. The back loin cloth is shorter this time around

Those are just a few that jumped right out at me. Why don't you name some actual specifics instead of saying "loin cloth, mask, etc." AKA things that are pretty much staples in EVERY ninja's costume in Mortal Kombat?

I'm still waiting for you to point out specifics. I'll tell you some of the differences I've noticed.
2. Reptile's tongue now being present as an in-game weapon adds to his look like never before
4. The hood has a silver material stretched over the black, meaning it is double layered. If you pause the reveal trailer at 1:03, you can also see there are line patterns on the side of it

Those are just a few that jumped right out at me. Why don't you name some actual specifics instead of saying "loin cloth, mask, etc." AKA things that are pretty much staples in EVERY ninja's costume in Mortal Kombat?

He's referring to things in a broad sense. The details are different, but the clothes stay the same.

Depends, but there's no denying that a shirtless Reptile without a mask would look completely different, and that's what he's getting at.

Reptile without a mask? Need I remind you how popular this guy was?

index.jpg

I think it is a universally accepted opinion that this was the most hated design of Reptile in the game's history. I deviated from the ninja gimmick way too much for fans to take seriously. Funny thing is: this particular design followed Reptile's other hated design. Purple parachute pants, anyone?

I already told you what was the same.

He wears a hood and a mask.
He wears a V-cut vest.
He wears a loincloth.
He wears arm bracers.
He wears shin guards.

Its the same basic elements. You are right, the details are different, but the elements remain the same, and they go back to the palette swap look.

Reptile without a mask? Need I remind you how popular this guy was?

View attachment 7486

I think it is a universally accepted opinion that this was the most hated design of Reptile in the game's history. I deviated from the ninja gimmick way too much for fans to take seriously. Funny thing is: this particular design followed Reptile's other hated design. Purple parachute pants, anyone?
LOL. I'm not arguing that it would be a better design. I'm only trying to tell you that Incubuslord wants something more different than the usual, which MKDA Reptile is, as long as it's a good look. Who's to say they can't improve on that design?

LOL. I'm not arguing that it would be a better design. I'm only trying to tell you that Incubuslord wants something more different than the usual, which MKDA Reptile is, as long as it's a good look. Who's to say they can't improve on that design?

You really think they could improve that design? It looks a bit goofy, don't you think? If they tried to do anything with that thing again, I figure it would end up looking like Lizardman from Soul Calibur.

I honestly think what Incubus (and others) wants is a human-looking Reptile. They probably miss the original design. I don't fault them for that, his MK2 and Trilogy costumes were great! Still, the reptilian aspects make him standout amongst his peers in the ninja category. It also allows for more details, like the scales and tongue. I still say it is different. What exactly would it take in terms of a design or costume for you to say, "Hmm, that is out of the ordinary for Reptile?" I'm interested in hearing this...

I honestly think what Incubus (and others) wants is a human-looking Reptile.

You COMPLETELY missread me then! That is EXACTLY what I don't want! I want Reptile to be as far away from the palette swap look as possible! I LOVE the reptilian look, my favourite is the more snake-like look in MK4 (I just like snakes ^^).

What I want is for NRS to scrap the palette swap ninja look and try to make him look unique!

You COMPLETELY missread me then! That is EXACTLY what I don't want! I want Reptile to be as far away from the palette swap look as possible! I LOVE the reptilian look, my favourite is the more snake-like look in MK4 (I just like snakes ^^).

What I want is for NRS to scrap the palette swap ninja look and try to make him look unique!

Well, if I misread you, sir, would you do me a favor? Describe to me how you'd design Reptile if you were in charge of his costume and character.

I prefer Lizardman, from Soulcalibur, over Reptile to be honest. In my personal opinion, he looks a lot better.

8286sc5-pub-2d-aeon1-jpg

It makes sense that he would be included for the simple fact that he was never killed in MK9 is reason enough for me. Add to that, Reptile is a survivor, he's gonna always find a way to survive. He looks awesome. I ve never been a reptile fan but I have to say he looks pretty beast this time around.