The Official "Wakeup Attack" Handbook by YOU!

What about Sub-Zero's EX Slide? Any thoughts on that?

I posted a bit on Sub-Zero's Slide and I feel it covers the EX Slide as well. EX Slide is still punished by full combo on block, it does have some additional range but it is easily blocked on reaction from full-screen, etc etc. It's an okay option at best, in my opinion.

hey man this thread is really great! im a good player and am naturally great at these games but i need to really get down to learning all the technicallities....

CYRAX

ok so ex ragdoll IS a great wake up... but what are other good options for cyrax? i've used ex tele-blast to GREAT extent on wake ups... but again its a bar wasted and cyrax waking up with barrs i feel is TERRIBLE because he wants energy so much for combos.

so heres my situation. i am a great cyrax player right now but theres a certain point when i fight a really really really good player that i just cant break through AT ALL to even start a combo. i've got 40% dmg combos pretty good with cyrax and up to 60% max with bars but breaking through or stopping the onslaught (mainly J.cage rushers) is what brings my doom often.

any info on using wake ups as cyrax to (if it even exists) start combos or distance myself from the opponent would be very appreciated! does he have any no-bar wake up options?

thanks!

-OlympusMons

While Cyrax does have to burn meter to use effective wake-up attacks such as EX Ragdoll and EX Teleport, but that doesn't hurt Cyrax that much. Cyrax may be rather meter intensive, but he also builds meter very quickly when played well. Throwing out nets and bombs and anti-air moves all build meter very well. Cyrax also has a number of strings that are quite safe on block which can help build meter as well. Having to use meter is obviously not as good as not having to, but Cyrax can manage quite well with his EX wake-up attacks.

Love when people are jumping at me with Sindel. I EX yell and it gets them 80% of them time. Sometimes, you can see it pause them in mid air and mid punch and it gives me the free hit.

Her EX low fireball is great too. Pushes them back and counts as two hits, one after the other.

And don't forget her step up. It's fast and useful both EX and normal

Lol the only time I ever found a good Sindel online she hit me with Step Up on wake-up like three times before I realized I wasn't going to beat it out. =P

Can someone do me a favor and talk a little bit about Nightwolf and Jade's wake ups?

Nightwolf his obvious is his rhino charge which is a little hard to punish on block.
Maybe his EX axe launcher? That's about it from what I've experienced.

With Jade, her EX overhead has armor
Her flash kick is fast, EX has armor and goes further
I'm not totally sure, but from what I understood in another thread, her EX projectile invincibility gives her armor for a short time on wake up.

JADE

Overhead Staff DB+2 Generally this is a good plan for those opponents that are just out of sweeping distance. Not only can this wake-up jump over MOST projectiles, but the EX has armor as well. This is also a good use for crouch-blockers. Not to mention that it starts nearly ALL of her good damaging combos. However, I find that Shadow Kick does a MUCH better job of stopping pressure, unless of course you want to use the EX Overhead at the cost of meter... And Jade's meter is VERY valuable so... maybe not the best idea to get those Johnny Cage's out of your face...

Shadow Kick DF+4 This is the attack I use mostly out of knockdown. It is relatively safe on block and it can knock the opponent to the other end of the screen if you follow it up with another Kick. This helps to begin Jade's razorang zoning. This is the attack that also slows down pressure, as it comes out relatively quickly. The EX version has armor and goes full-screen, so if the opponent is out of Overhead range and is throwing out their zoning, this is a valuable tool to get in close

Shadow Flash BF+3 The normal version of Shadow Flash IS useful if the opponent is far away. It allows you to avoid their projectiles and either get in close with a Shadow Kick or two without fear of being hit by a projectile (and conserve meter, rather than utilizing the armor of the EX Kick.) And it also allows you to avoid projectiles at a long range and start up your own projectiles and zoning game. The EX version is more valuable up close to stop rushdown games from your opponent. It gives you immunity from flinching and projectiles while active. Though use it sparingly as it costs meter AND you take more damage when you're hit. However, it gives you the opportunity to start your own rushdown, zoning, combos, etc.

Hey all, just a friendly reminder.

I'd be updating the thread as we speak but I had dental work and need some recovery time :p

Also to answer the question posted on Page 1:

As discussion progresses, hopefully we can go with a decisive "Best Wakeup" option for each character.

In other news, I'd like to give this thread some rhyme and reason so I'll assign a specific character for an appointed time period for us to discuss and test out for Wakeups.

Let's get the ball rolling with Sektor.

Please keep wakeup discussion limited to Sektor only for the time being.

Also can someone see about getting this a Sticky? Thanks

Hmm Sektor. Wouldn't his flamethrower be good? Works great against jump ins. Don't know if it has armor though.

His EX Teleport Uppercut is one of the best wakeups in the game. If Sektor has meter it's suicide to pressure him when he is grounded.

His EX Teleport Uppercut is one of the best wakeups in the game. If Sektor has meter it's suicide to pressure him when he is grounded.
I would assume his normal tele would be better, as you can use it, then COMBO INTO the EX tele for more damaging wakeup
How is EX better on wakeup? Does it have armor?

I would assume his normal tele would be better, as you can use it, then COMBO INTO the EX tele for more damaging wakeup
How is EX better on wakeup? Does it have armor?

EX Tele-Uppercut is beast on wake-up because it has invincibility frames on the front end and then it has armor after the invincibility. So, if you hit him before he drops below the ground, nothing happens to him, and if you hit him after he pops back up he takes the damage but then he follows through with his attack and starts putting you through a combo. I've eaten big damage from EX Tele-Uppercut because I got too uppity after a knockdown. It's high-quality shit lol.

EX TU is safe on block and it saves you from a corner beating.

I guess a normal TU will be better but you need to be 100% certain you will land it and not get baited into throwing it out.

EDIT: 3mag5num7: Are you sure it has armor on it?

Last edited:
hey man this thread is really great! im a good player and am naturally great at these games but i need to really get down to learning all the technicallities....

CYRAX

ok so ex ragdoll IS a great wake up... but what are other good options for cyrax? i've used ex tele-blast to GREAT extent on wake ups... but again its a bar wasted and cyrax waking up with barrs i feel is TERRIBLE because he wants energy so much for combos.

so heres my situation. i am a great cyrax player right now but theres a certain point when i fight a really really really good player that i just cant break through AT ALL to even start a combo. i've got 40% dmg combos pretty good with cyrax and up to 60% max with bars but breaking through or stopping the onslaught (mainly J.cage rushers) is what brings my doom often.

any info on using wake ups as cyrax to (if it even exists) start combos or distance myself from the opponent would be very appreciated! does he have any no-bar wake up options?

thanks!

-OlympusMons

Cyrax has great damage output but for a price. He requires lots of bars and has no mix ups. No low or overhead combo starters. So the wake up I do are ex teleport, ex ragdall, or the saw, but if you miss the saw you'll be more open than paris hilton at a fashion shoot

hahaha. thanks for the nice responses for my CYRAX questions..

another though...

someone mentioned cyraxs human costume can combo out of ex tele... is this true and whats different about it on that costume than on others?

[No Bar]Buzzsaw is a good WU as long as they are the ground. If they jump out the way some how...god help you. That thing stays out until the match ends. LOL

Dude i know, it really does haha. Cyrax is my #1 for MK9 and i only use that move in a combo, but if you miss with it, time just seems to stand still lol

The human costume teleport is faster. This is probably because logically NRS said that a robot reassembling was slower than a person appearing out of nowhere. Thats the best explination for it I have.

3,3 after the port not sure if anything else works.

However, using human cyrax comes at a price. It breaks it down further in the Cyrax thread, which is also sticky'd.

Last edited:
lol...my my turn. since evryone is doing one...I might as well do one also. I main kitana so that shall be who I talk about today. her wake up game isn't all that great, BUT she does have one of the best wake ups in the game, but it costs 1 bar.

kitana has 6 specials: fan toss( d, f+1), cutting fan(d, f+2), uprise(b,b+2), square boost(d, b+1), pretty kick(d, b+3) and fakeout kick(d,b+4). all of these moves have enhaced versions except for fakeout kick. two of these moves are good wake up, 1 of these move is a good wake up when enhanced and the other three shouldn't be used as wakeups at all. I'll talk about the two main wake ups 1st.

-Square Boost. this move is a decent wakeup move but its used differently than most wake ups. this one will be used defensive as its main use to to escape the corner. it has invincibility on startup so its best to use it to escape corners. mostly likele this move will whiff, but you should land far enough from the opponent to avoid punishes. THIS MOVE SHOULD ONLY BE INTENDED TO USE AS A CORNER WAKEUP. if you use this move outside of the corner, you'll just fly right into the corner. you might avoid punishes but the fact that you in the corner is not fun, especially if you fighting jax, noob or lui kang. be careful as a skilled opponent might bait u into using this move and youll eat a combo if he does bait you. it can be used as an anti air on a late jump in opponent.
The enhanced version has the same characteristics as the regular but has armor and deals more damage. again, this move should only be used as a wake to escape corner. it has invincibility frames on start up and the armor might help you escape if the opponent attacks you after the invinc frames has ended. other than that..no real uses for the enhanced version.

-uprise. this is the main wakeup for kitana. its invincible on start up but can still be hit out of it by low kicks. this move stops most oncoming attacks so if you're waking up and the opponent is applying pressure, use this. mosy likely it'll catch them. this move is unsafe on block and whiff, but most players wait for the move to finish completely before attack. in that case, you'll be safe. it can be used as an anti air..but only on late jump ins. if the opponent is already descending from the jump and you use this, the opponent will land intime to block it since the start up is slow. it has MASSIVE active frames though. so if you use this and the opponent HASNT blocked it yet, the move stays active for a long time. it'll catch a lot of ppl off guard, they'll think the move is finishing but then walk right into it.
THE enhanced version is kitanas BEST wakeup/anti air move and one of the best wake up/anti air moves in the game. it starts up INSTANTLY which means there is no wind up. its COMPLETELY invincible to EVERYTHING except low kicks. this move will also catch an armored opponent. if the opponent scored a knocked down and is rushing down, use this. it'll catch them 95% of the time. this move is also a better anti air than the regualr version because of the instant startup. therefore this version can catch opponents descending from their jump. this move is nasty. beware though, skilled players will wait for you to wake up with any version of this move, block it and punish you.
Those two moves are kitanas best wakeups. the 1 wakeup she has that's useful ONLY when enhanced is:

-Cutting Fan. the regular version is not a good wake up, but it could catch some opponents off guard. it has invincibilty on start up and its safe on block. but this move, despite the invincibility, can be knocked out of. if you manage to hit your opponent with this, it puts them in a stagger state and kitana recovers fast enough to continue her pressure.
The Enhaced version is the nuch better than the regular version. its completely invincible, does more damage and sneaks in two extra surprising hits. use this on wake up if the opponent is rushing your down. its safe on block and most likely you'll land the final portion of this move because the opponent will block the 1st two hits but not realize two more hits are coming, scoring kitana a knockdown. none of the versions are really good anti airs tho.

Three last three moves SHOULD NOT be used as wakeups. her fans are a projectile thats starts up slow and can be ducked up and punished if the opponent is close. an besides, who wakes up using a projectile?(besides kabal and noob). the enhanced version starts up fast than the regular version and throes the fans seperately. u can dash cancel after holding onto the second fan, but that method works best in block strings, not on wakeup. pretty kicks is a horrible wake up. no invincibilty and the start up is slow. its safe on block though. the enhanced is the same way. fakeout kick is also a horrible wake up attack and it doesn't even have an enhaced version. it COULD catch an opponent rushing you down tho...since it has the same start up as pretty kick, but then kicks low, hence why its called "fake out kick". its safe on block. this move should be used in mixups and blockstrings..not on wakeup.

well there you go. kitanas wake up options. I did the best I could with this, especially since this was done on my cell phone lol. enjoy!

Well since everyone would much rather provide a character whom they can lend the most knowledge about, feel free to contribute to any character at will. I would like this to be an ever-evolving database of information and discussion :)

And thanks everyone for the Rep <333

I'd also like to take the time to list what are probably the best Wakeup Options for Smoke:

(Listed in order of situational priority)

1. TELEPORT

This is the obvious answer to anyone who just refuses to get off of your back and let you have some space. Teleport Punch is the BEST option if you want to completely halt your opponent's rushdown momentum AND possibly turn the tides in your favor. Beware of their defensive blocking, for if your Teleport whiffs, you are open for quite some time~

2. SHAKE (EX Version included!)

The EX Verison of Shake is easily the next best answer to an overly-offensive opponent on Wakeup. Should your opponent unwittingly strike you while you are in the EX version of Shake, they will eat an unblockable counter punch from above. Beware of the odd sweep kick which will knock you out of the Shake stance.