The Mythology of Mortal Kombat

Dorn

I think Mortal Kombat is in a transition phase at the moment, the mk universe is certainly becoming more diverse and grounded but theres still a way to go.With DA & Deception they seem to be attempting to set the stage for a more expansive gaming enviroment to accomodate different forms of gameplay. the uniformity of the realms as they stand at the moment doesn't work as well as it could. Hopefully with Shaolin Monks this will change...and mortal kombat will return to the darker side of it's nature that we love so much.

This is my first post and I was wondering on the views other people had on the future of the Mortal Kombat franchise and what direction you would like to see them head towards.

Here is my perspective on the MK Universe.

Mortal Kombat 1 was a small contained part of a big universe.

Mortal Kombat 2 grew a little bigger and used another part of the universe making it appear even grander in scale.

MK3 killed the whole "inclusive" concept by killing everyone on Earth except the "chosen ones". However, the scale remained huge.

MK4 went back to a small contained part of a big universe.

MKDA (5) remained fairly small scale, however it introduced a few "fluff" characters that no one really cares about.

MKD (6) totally killed the smale scale "mysticism" that the previous titles had. By expanding to the 6 realms, everything just seemed so spread out. With the inclusion of more "fluff" characters that no one cares about, it lost a lot in it's story telling department. The fighting game was really good, but still lacked the "Mortal Kombat" feel of the old days. While I enjoyed "Konquest" the first time through, it is very hard for me to play through a second time. So many holes were drilled into the plot along with ageing inconsistencies with Shujinko in relation to the storyline.

here's what's gonna happen in thousands of years from now...Some archaeologist will discover an Arcade machine or an MK game....Operate it and think that the MK game was a record of our lives and that Raiden and such were the gods wer worshipped. Cool, huh. What if all the books in the old testament are...Stories.... of the culture back then? Or a form of entertainment? If you read the old testament word for word except for Psalms and Proverbs, it's one big book and all the stories relate to each other.

juergen said:
here's what's gonna happen in thousands of years from now...Some archaeologist will discover an Arcade machine or an MK game....Operate it and think that the MK game was a record of our lives and that Raiden and such were the gods wer worshipped. Cool, huh. What if all the books in the old testament are...Stories.... of the culture back then? Or a form of entertainment? If you read the old testament word for word except for Psalms and Proverbs, it's one big book and all the stories relate to each other.

Um no....and many will find that insulting.

Anyways....

I agree that the ancient asian mystical feel is totally dieing out in MK. Only six realms? Thats stupid. I always thought there were trillions of realms. Also this whole One Being idea is weird as well. If there are only 6 realms, then where does Reptiles realm and Nitara come from? Both of them were from other realms. What happened to the many realms that fell to Shao Kahn? Perhaps these 6 realms came from the One Being, but aren't necessarily the ONLY realms? Who knows....

DAv said:
I thought they only used 6 realms because there were only 6 Kadi whatsits.

I know thats why they did that. I'm just saying its dumb. It just seemed like MK history established MANY realms. Now it looks like they just used all the Realms they had minus a few and said thats it, no more.

Perhaps they can't think of a way to put in all the realms right about now and are just leaving it open for now.

Don't worry . . .

Don't worry. In future MK's, they will bring more realms. Since when has MK ever followed its own storyline exactly? Boon and co. many times have ignored previous events or rewritten MK history to fit whatever direction they choose to go.

Maybe its just something like the 6 'known realms'. Meaning there are others out there, but the Dragon King and everyone else doesn't know they exist (minus Gods, who properly don't want anyone to know they are there). Or perhaps, they simply haven't found a way to access them.

Heres food for thought. In the MK: Defenders of the Realm, there was at least one realm mention that doesn't appear in the games. I think also, in MK: Conquest they also mentioned at least one realm that isn't in the games. If I could name the one featured in the shows I'd write them down, but now its been a year and a half since I saw MK: Conquest and 3 years since I saw MK:Defenders of the realm.

Zaterra is one of the Realms that aren't part of the big 6. Also, Nitara's Realm is a different one as well.

I guess you're all right about their being more than 6 realms, not a plot hole really. More of a these 6 realms are REALLY important :p .

I'm still trying to understand this One Being thing. What is he/she?

I am The Chosen One said:
Zaterra is one of the Realms that aren't part of the big 6. Also, Nitara's Realm is a different one as well.

I guess you're all right about their being more than 6 realms, not a plot hole really. More of a these 6 realms are REALLY important :p .

It was said that the One Being was created, as were the elder gods. The one being fed off the Elders, and so they fought back and created the Kamidogu, which seperated his consciousness....how his consciousness was turned into the realms is beyond me, though. :O

Disappointed said:

It was said that the One Being was created, as were the elder gods. The one being fed off the Elders, and so they fought back and created the Kamidogu, which seperated his consciousness....how his consciousness was turned into the realms is beyond me, though. :O

Oh so he didn't create the Elder Gods? Cool. It made the whole MK Universe seem smaller if everything in existence came from his unconsciousness. So he is just some really powerful being who got his a** handed to him by the Elder Gods? Meaning there is more above the Elder Gods and other Realms and such. Cool, thanks Disappointed. :D

Disappointed said:

Oh so he didn't create the Elder Gods? Cool. It made the whole MK Universe seem smaller if everything in existence came from his unconsciousness. So he is just some really powerful being who got his a** handed to him by the Elder Gods? Meaning there is more above the Elder Gods and other Realms and such. Cool, thanks Disappointed. :D

As far as I know, he did not create them. and, you're welcome. :)

MK1 - Mortal Kombat began small, the game featuring the 7 'survivors' as the playable characters. No-one really knew what MK was about at this time. Full of Mystery.

MK2 - The game moved away from the 'Shaolin' roots and became a bit darker. Being that it was set in the Outworld, the game has a much stronger 'fantasy' feel and the MK universe begins to expand, character and story-wise.

MK3 - For lovers of the 'Classics', this is the beginning of the end. Having said that, this game still rocks. The storyline expands out a lot more and for once, with the inclusion of an Earth invasion, the MK universe begins to feel big.

MK4 - A total rabble...

MKDA - The new era.

I don't really think MK is in a transition period now. I think that began with MKDA. However, the saga is expanding...

Nitara, Frost, and Ashrah aren't fluff characters. Many MK fans hold Nitara and Ashrah as some of the best new characters that have come in recent times. The mistake was building up MKDA's new characters....and then just dumping them for a whole new set of characters in MKD. THAT was the mistake. It's not that the new characters are fluff, cause I don't think they are. Although the whole Darrius/Dairou/Hotaru plotline is perhaps the first storyline that nobody cares about....even though I do. I like everything MK puts out in the story. It's just so cool to me. So I'm biased. My only gripe is up ahead

and Mortal Kombat has a VERY interesting universe. Still, they should stop with the "magical item" copout (i.e. Shao Kahn using that clone-making thing to dupe his enemies into thinking he's dead). But it's amazing that 12-13 years later they are still hitting us with interesting twists.

Maybe they could make MK Beach Volleyball with lotsa blood and fatalities, i realize this is completely off the point but we are talking about new directions for the game :wink: