Skarlet Thread - "Yiah!"

Skarlet is AWESOME. If you want some damaging combos, you really have to learn how to chain into the knife-uppercut-slashy thingies.
Here's one that always works for me:

Jump in -> Back + BP -> Down-slash -> BP (mini juggle) -> Up-slash -> Jumpkick -> Teleport stab

oh man you can go longer than that.

JiP> Back+2 > DB2 > dash in > 2 > DB2 > 2 > DF2 > 1 > Daggers. 40%

@ManEater: It's not really fair to patch skarlet atm.

her projectiles were so strong people were working on her zone game ALOT harder than her upclose game.

So her upclose game isn't as explored as it could be. Yet now I believe her dagger cancels are getting nerfed, and if I'm not mistaken they have more frames of recovery?(not sure on this one someone confirm plz.)

Plus they are taking out that downslide into upslash?

I got this strong feeling she might be mid-low after this next patch.

She has pretty garbage wake ups. Her EX teleport isn't even safe.

her EX slashes tend to add too much to the combo meter, making some combo's (using EX) actually WORSE because they get heavier toward the end of the combos.

She has the ability to throw some 50/50s. But unlike scorpion... her low hits will be barely punishing prolly like 10% at most? +gives yoru opponent wake up options. While the overhead will be the only method of damage.

So... After the patch... i'm gonna have to like SPAM the ever living crap out of low attacks, to condition them to eat my overhead. Instead of my opponents having equal fear of both low and overhead. when her overhead is blocked she is punishable.

Last edited:
I could have sworn it's a glitch. It is a glitch and I honestly don't think it was intended. I hope they take it out, I'm tired of easy juggles. LAME

I don't think its a glitch. u kno how certain characters have hidden abilities? like jades second shadow kick, ermacs levatate cancels, sindels flight cancel, mileenas neck stab, etc. I think that's skarletts hidden ability

Her EX teleport is great when you're jumping back and baiting for projectiles. Also thanks for the info Critical-Limit! I'm SO trying that.

oh man you can go longer than that.

JiP> Back+2 > DB2 > dash in > 2 > DB2 > 2 > DF2 > 1 > Daggers. 40%

@ManEater: It's not really fair to patch skarlet atm.

her projectiles were so strong people were working on her zone game ALOT harder than her upclose game.

So her upclose game isn't as explored as it could be. Yet now I believe her dagger cancels are getting nerfed, and if I'm not mistaken they have more frames of recovery?(not sure on this one someone confirm plz.)

Plus they are taking out that downslide into upslash?

I got this strong feeling she might be mid-low after this next patch.

She has pretty garbage wake ups. Her EX teleport isn't even safe.

her EX slashes tend to add too much to the combo meter, making some combo's (using EX) actually WORSE because they get heavier toward the end of the combos.

She has the ability to throw some 50/50s. But unlike scorpion... her low hits will be barely punishing prolly like 10% at most? +gives yoru opponent wake up options. While the overhead will be the only method of damage.

So... After the patch... i'm gonna have to like SPAM the ever living crap out of low attacks, to condition them to eat my overhead. Instead of my opponents having equal fear of both low and overhead. when her overhead is blocked she is punishable.
I don't know about Skarlet being mid-low tier, I'd say she'll still be mid-high tier. But yeah, your right about her Down Slash being slow, but her Down Slash from her Red Slide is much faster. And, as long as the nerfs to her Dagger Toss don't affect her combos that use her Dagger Toss cancels, I think I'll be fine with it.

Last edited:
I don't know about Skarlet being mid-low tier, I'd say she'll still be mid-high tier. But yeah, your right about her Down Slash being slow, but her Down Slash from her Red Slide is much faster. And, as long as the nerfs to her Dagger Toss don't affect her combos that use her Dagger Toss cancels, I think I'll be fine with it.

I don't mean low. I mean near the lower half of Mid. Still viable.

We'll just have to wait to see, i'm just speculating.

So, after goofing off in the lab with Skarlet, I noticed she has a well... kind of "hidden" attribute.
I set the x ray meter on full, and noticed she can slide (d+f,3) cancel into X-ray.
That being said, it gives her much more range on the x-ray itself.
AND! I set the opponent to crouch and block.
Since Skarlet's X-ray hits as an overhead, it's safe to do this and you still get 27% damage.. which is just two percent less than the original X-ray itself.
Why did I set the crouch block on?
Well, if you got a crafty opponent, they will flash a crouch block.. because you can see the slide coming if you do it far away enough. It's a bait. The cool thing is, you can launch the x-ray late or immediately :)

Quick Corner X-ray combo:

(yet again, had opponent set crouch block) d b 2, U+3, 1,1, X-ray
37% damage.
Give a slight (SLIGHT) pause between d b2 and U+3.
Now that X-ray has some kick in it :cool:

Last edited:
I thought Skarlet, was really cool, but were would she fit, she's kinda like Mileena, you know, killing anyone who opposes Shao Khan.....

Oh when you said slide I thought you meant DF3 into 4(slide) into x-ray.

Lol nah, just the Df3, although I did try it with 4 quite a bit, with no luck.

Also, found out you can pick up 20% damage very easily.
U3 + DF1= 20% and it's really easy.
All you have to do is do the DF1 input as soon as you do U3.
You can also swap out DF1 for DB1 but it's kinda tricky, you almost always lose 1 dagger, making it 16%.
So I you recommend DF1, unless you're in a corner.. then both inputs work just as well.

I dont know why a lot of the community say this character is garbage when she is not.

That Skarlet player posts a lot in the Skarlet forums on TYM.

I ran into Shujinkidinks Skarlet on Ranked a couple weeks back. I got blown up using CSZ and I think I only won a single round when I switched to Baraka.

Skarlet has the craziest pressure i have seen in the game. Once it starts, you have no idea when it's going to end and you are terrified of letting go of block.

I think she's awesome, and I couldn't give a shit what people like m2dave has to say.

I dont know why a lot of the community say this character is garbage when she is not.

That Skarlet player posts a lot in the Skarlet forums on TYM.

I ran into Shujinkidinks Skarlet on Ranked a couple weeks back. I got blown up using CSZ and I think I only won a single round when I switched to Baraka.

Skarlet has the craziest pressure i have seen in the game. Once it starts, you have no idea when it's going to end and you are terrified of letting go of block.

I think she's awesome, and I couldn't give a shit what people like m2dave has to say.

yeah I know who he is, that's how I came accross the video. I'm use to hearing him "Talk about skarlet" and I hear his theories and they all sound "ok" to me. But watching him practice what he preaches looks more overwhelming than I saw it in my head.

I commend you on maining her.

I think she is one of those characters you need to invest a LOT of time into. I tend to do this with characters, but strangely im juggling Quan Chi and Freddy as new mains.

I really would like to get my teeth stuck into her though. I'd like to make her or Sonya one of my next mains.

Last edited:
Okay, so with all this talk of "Sindel tech" that will elevate her, quite literally, up the tier list I went into the lab to see how effective her levi cancel was, as I think the tech is based on this.

Okay, ive been trying to use levi cancel as a pressure tool for rushing but its hard. I can do three in a row. For instance, 21>>levi cancel, dash, F12 levi cancel, dash, F12 levi cancel. Of course this was on the training dummy but im not sure if this gives her frame advantage. Its hard. Dashing, inputting, hitting ddublock, dashing....try it, it's not easy.

I of course found a few interesting combos.

Jp, B3F2, Scream, Jp, B3F2, F1, Dash, 111, cartwheel 43% not bad for a midscreen no bar huh? This is not easy to do however.

Jp, B3F2, F12, dash, 111, ex scream, jp F12, hair 38%

I've also been playing around with what can be done after 33.

33, D4, scream, jp, F12 special 28% (31% if you start with a jp)

33, 1, dash, 1, dash, 111, hair 28% (31% if you start with a jp)

33, 1, dash 1, dash 111, fireball, 25%

Jp, 33, 1, dash, 1, dash, 111, ex scream, Jp F12, special 32-34%

Okay, so with all this talk of "Sindel tech" that will elevate her, quite literally, up the tier list I went into the lab to see how effective her levi cancel was, as I think the tech is based on this.

Okay, ive been trying to use levi cancel as a pressure tool for rushing but its hard. I can do three in a row. For instance, 21>>levi cancel, dash, F12 levi cancel, dash, F12 levi cancel. Of course this was on the training dummy but im not sure if this gives her frame advantage. Its hard. Dashing, inputting, hitting ddublock, dashing....try it, it's not easy.

I of course found a few interesting combos.

Jp, B3F2, Scream, Jp, B3F2, F1, Dash, 111, cartwheel 43% not bad for a midscreen no bar huh? This is not easy to do however.

Jp, B3F2, F12, dash, 111, ex scream, jp F12, hair 38%

I've also been playing around with what can be done after 33.

33, D4, scream, jp, F12 special 28% (31% if you start with a jp)

33, 1, dash, 1, dash, 111, hair 28% (31% if you start with a jp)

33, 1, dash 1, dash 111, fireball, 25%

Jp, 33, 1, dash, 1, dash, 111, ex scream, Jp F12, special 32-34%

Wrong thread bro.

For a quick and dirty 20% combo, I do U+3, D+2. :)

An X-Ray-incorporated combo that looks good, I use: JP, U+3, 2, 1, 2, X-Ray for 41% (11 hits). I can't seem to break the 35-40% marker with Skarlet using any combo, with or without X-Ray/EX moves.

Last edited:

OMG that CHIP!!!

ME WANT.

alot of meter built back as well. I'll work on this a bit.

EDIT: credit goes to Redraptor10 from TYM
and credits to the combos in the video description.

Last edited:
All credits to "RedRaptor10" from TYM

These are my current BnB combos I use with Skarlet. I know she has more damaging combos, but there are a couple of reasons why I prefer these combos. First, these combos are easy to do and don't require as much strict of a timing as her other combos. Second, the higher the opponent is from the ground when ending with Skarlet's standing reset, you get more frame advantage. Last, doing multiple Red Dashes and Down Slashes in a combo builds more meter than her higher damaging combos.

Combos:
0:05 - Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (33%, 8 Hits)
(This may be done off of an EX Red Dash or any string such as F4, Red Dash.)

0:14 - Up Slash, F4, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (29%, 8 Hits)
(I use F4 at the beginning instead of 2 because if you do 2 too early, it will whiff since the opponent is launched so high up. You can replace F4 with 2 or vise versa in any combo because they will do the same damage.)

0:23 - EX Down Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (30%, 8 Hits)
(It is kind of difficult to do more than one Red Dash after an EX Down Slash.)

0:32 - F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 1, 1, 2 (31%, 11 Hits)
(F2, 1 can actually be hit confirmed into Red Dash, Down Slash, but just in case you can't hit confirm it then you can do this combo.)

0:40 - B1, 1, F4, Red Dash, Up Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (35%, 10 Hits)
(B1, 1, F4 is usually done on low hitbox characters such as Mileena.)

0:49 - D1, Up Slash, dash, 2, 3, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (26%, 8 Hits)
(This combo can also be done off of other anti-airs such as standing 2. The combo may vary depending on how high the opponent is from the ground.)

0:58 - NJP, B2, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (32%, 8 Hits)
(B2 has a wide range so pulling it off after a NJP is easy to do.)

1:06 - AtA jump punch, dash, F4, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (22%, 8 Hits)
(After an air-to-air jump punch, F4 can be used since it has a wide range.)

Wall Combos:
1:15 - Down Slash, B2, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 (37%, 10 Hits)
(This may be done off of an EX Red Dash or any string such as F4, Red Dash. If you're not at the wall and you need to get the opponent to the wall, you can add Red Dashes after B2 and B1, 1, F4.)

1:25 - Up Slash, B2, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 (34%, 10 Hits)
(This is the same as the previous combo but the B2 has a more stricter timing.)

1:35 - EX Down Slash, B2, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 (38%, 11 Hits)
(This is also the same as the previous two combos.)

1:45 - F2, 1, 2, 1+2, Red Dash, Down Slash, B1, 1, F4, Down Slash, 1, 1, 2 (40%, 13 Hits)
(The Red Dash is not necessary if you are already at the wall. You can do another B1, 1, F4, Down Slash but it only does a few more damage and isn't worth it.)

Blocked Teleport Punishers:
1:55 - B2, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, 2, Red Dash, Down Slash, dash, 1, 1, 2 (38%, 9 Hits)
(To get B2 to land, make a full back dash then input B2. This combo is the same as the first combo.)

2:06 - U3, U3, Air Dagger (Far), dash, 3, Dagger Toss (dash cancel), 1, 1, 2 (34%, 8 Hits)
(Mileena's Ball Roll is the only exception because she can block right away once she lands. You must do this combo to hit her in the air.)

Combos assisted by Ninj and Somberness.