Roster screen not final

View attachment 8062

If there were to be a third row here is how I think it would be fesible. Cut the row length down to 12 from 13. Would need at least 3 secret characters in the game (and there have been many hints to plausible hidden characters, Reiko, Cyrax, Sektor, Fujin, Baraka). Because after the next Kombat Pack I don't think there would be more than 3 more DLC. MK9 had 4, Injustice had 6.

So yeah, a third row might be likely, I don't think they'll hide the kombat pack, secret characters and future DLC characters behind one select button/slot. Especially as injustice they worked it into the overall select screen.

This would make my day. Actually looks like it'd fit, too.

Himmerick said we would be knowing most of the roster until the game.

MOST. Not all. They will be hiding something, I just can't think of what, who, and how.

This would make my day. Actually looks like it'd fit, too.

Yeah it does, it basically hinges on if there are secret characters (which is a big if, I mean there might be 1, 3 could be a stretch), because we know there should be a similar number of DLC characters to Injustice (from MK9 to Injustice they showed they were able to improve dev time on characters).

someone tweeted shaun, pissed about the bland roster/lack of diversity and complained about the cages getting three slots. now, I am not sure if shaun understood what the dude meant (too many human/SF/whatever you wanna call them chars) but he responded 'I promise you it's not just cages'. there are two scenarios here. either NRS lost its magic with secrets and LK and shinnok are actually unlockable but they showed them today so we can see gameplay, or, what we're looking at is the rest being filled by jax, jacqueline, kenshi and sonya and there will be one , two or three secret characters. one for 50% story, one for 100% and perhaps the secret fight in the tower unlocks another one. since they like secrets in MK since it begun I am now much more hopeful for more than 24 because LK and shinnok are actually in the select screen. my bet is we either get 25, 26 or 27 max, plus Goro for those who pre-order making it 28 to begin with and then a minimum of two DLC packs or max of three, giving us a total of either 36 or 40 chars, 36 (three full rows) being more likely.

wishful thinking for total of 36:

secret: Rain, Fujin, Reiko

DLC 1: Goro Jason Tremor Predator Tanya

DLC 2: Smoke Havik Sareena Kabal

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for that one guy to get the game early and leak who the secret character is, whether it be new or someone who's been confirmed. And the tin foil hat wearing people who think there's a 3rd row can finally chill out lol

I feel like the roster is already overwhelming as is, given the three variations. Add the Kombat Pack into that and sheesh, how are you even going to get to learn all of these characters? To give an analogy, I always much prefer going to an eatery that specializes in a few items, rather than one that has a phone book list of selections where I could never try not could the restaurant ever perfect even close to all of them.

I feel like the roster is already overwhelming as is, given the three variations. Add the Kombat Pack into that and sheesh, how are you even going to get to learn all of these characters? To give an analogy, I always much prefer going to an eatery that specializes in a few items, rather than one that has a phone book list of selections where I could never try not could the restaurant ever perfect even close to all of them.

It's so nice to see people with positive opinions on the roster.

I would have been happier if they cut variations and increased the roster 25-50% so far i havent seen a character with multiple variations i like. Everyone im excited about had the ONE variation im going to use.

I would have been happier if they cut variations and increased the roster 25-50% so far i havent seen a character with multiple variations i like. Everyone im excited about had the ONE variation im going to use.

Cutting 2/3 variations means there's a 66% chance that for every fighter, you would actually lose the variation that interests you and get stuck with one of the ones that doesn't.

I don't think you thought this plan through very well.

Cutting 2/3 variations means there's a 66% chance that for every fighter, you would actually lose the variation that interests you and get stuck with one of the ones that doesn't.

Well i was trying to juggle the cost of throwing together a whole character with animations and art and voices etc. Against the cost of a few extra moves per character. Your right theres a chance that id lose those variations but i guess i figure that in most cases the cuts are obvious. In some, like in the case of Takeda they arent, but i dont like any of his variations.

Your right theres a chance that id lose those variations but i guess i figure that in most cases the cuts are obvious.

So you're basically assuming that just because you don't like certain variations, no one will like them. I hope that hearing the thought said back to you in different words will help you understand how silly it is.

So you're basically assuming that just because you don't like certain variations, no one will like them. I hope that hearing the thought said back to you in different words will help you understand how silly it is.
no, i get it, i understood that when i wrote it, ha... But think about it in some cases the cuttable variation is obvious. Cut mournful, add Jade. Keep gunslinger, cut Erron Blacks sword variation, because we dont really see him as a swordfighter we see him as a gunslinger.

So yeah its not always obvious, but clearly some of these variations borrow moves from other fighters from the past.

Cut mournful, add Jade.

I don't want Jade in the game, so I can't sympathize with this. Sorry.

Keep gunslinger, cut Erron Blacks sword variation, because we dont really see him as a swordfighter we see him as a gunslinger.

I prefer Marksman to Gunslinger, so I can't agree here either.

0/2. :(

So yeah its not always obvious, but clearly some of these variations borrow moves from other fighters from the past.

I don't see what's wrong with that. Some characters are boring a.f. and don't warrant months of effort from NRS. People who enjoy those characters can still find their gameplay in someone's variations.

Whoever is secret or whoever is brought as DLC, I hope they're not MK returning characters... That would be extremely disappointing. I can live with Noob, Smoke, Cyrax or Rain skipping one game...

I think there's 4 unlockables, and 2 secret character fights

Unlockables
Baraka - Obtain everything in Krypt
Reiko - Complete Story Mode 50%
Fujin - Complete Story Mode 100%
Rain - Complete Tower

Secret Fights -
Cyber Smoke -
Noob Saibot -

One of the best things about the new timeline is that RoboSmoke will never ever return again.

Some of you keep mentioning that Baraka picture in some sort of achievements list.

Has anyone got it? I want to see it.

I love the variation system. It keeps things interesting. My main Liu kang made it in so I'm happy with the roster. Shame my 2ndmain Shang tsung didn't make it in but as long as LK is in I'm happy. The worst thing about mk9 was how every character had a "best way" to play them and made them predictable. I'd pick LK and knew exactly what my strategy would be (it worked, but still). I got bored very easily choosing the same character and always switched from LK to kitana or Johnny cage for example, but didn't get to play as my fave character. Now with variations, I can just pick LK and choose a different variation each time :) I also think it will be interesting trying to master different variations.

Also, it essentially triples the amount of movesets so not many Reptile players you come up against will play the same, unlike MK9, where if you came up against a Reptile, you knew exactly how they would play and counter them.

So yeah in summary, love the variation system lol.