Random Reptile Concept

Kitty_55

1528598_10203116109406370_1080430058_n.jpg

Since I love adding details, I thought I would redesign some of the characters. I don't know how many I'll do, my attention span is like, ooh a bunny!

See?

Anyways, thoughts? Criticism? Requests, I guess?

Is it just me or does that version of Reptile look like that Bangaa race from certain Final Fantasy games?

(Side note; do NOT refer to a Bangaa as a "lizard", as that is considered a major slur towards that race.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Is your rendition of Reptile is supposed to be digitgrade (like birds) or plantigrade (like humans)? Depending on what form of locomotion you have in mind will determine how you would design his legs and feet.

It looks like the the prominent claws are on the instep of the feet, when they ought to be more positioned to the side.

@Tarkatan: Hmm, I never saw it that way. I don't play Final Fantasy. That was just looking at a raptor face and kinda adapted it into a mask as best I could. :p

@Flawless: I was actually looking off of just a picture of a raptor and slightly give him more of a human look. So I guess to answer your question, plantigrade.

Here's how this picture kinda got created in case anyone was/is wondering:

The idea was most based off of his Mortal Kombat 2 ending when we see him unmasked for the first time and taking a bit more of a step further in giving him a primal look rather than what he's been wearing. I figured, since Reptile has always BEEN working side by side with Kahn, and possibly Shinnok/Quan Chi for the next game, why not make him look like what he could look like if he goes solo for the first time in like what... twenty years?

If that's that's the case, the basic shape of the legs and feet are okay, but it looks like he is standing on the balls of his feet from the way his feet are angled.

looks pretty cool. though i would go with smaller shoulder pads. like the skulls of a gallimimus opposed to a raptor. Either place the retractable caw on his actual foot or attach them to his shin guards or you could put it in the back of his foot. For the tops of his feet you could use a bony protrusion similar to the top of a pachysephalousar's head. The costume design is pretty cool I like the ragged fabric(good details). his armor, Is it bamboo or bones? He should also have chest protection the underbelly is the most vulnerable part of reptiles.

all in all I like the ideas ur working with. keep it up.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just the way I drew it, but I was really aiming to capturing it like this:

View attachment 6100

Then actually digitgrade, since the plantar doesn't touch the ground and the toes bear most of the weight. While this example uses a dog, it will will give you a general idea how digitgrade legs are structured and how they move. http://bestanimationbooks.com/general/digitigrades-intermediate-speed-land-animals

Generally speaking, digitgrade legs have a sharper slant. The notice ankle (where the blue and green meet) is also much higher than a human foot would be.

Dromaeosaurus_1.jpg

Last edited:
That is brilliant I love it.

Why thank you :)

looks pretty cool. though i would go with smaller shoulder pads. like the skulls of a gallimimus opposed to a raptor. Either place the retractable caw on his actual foot or attach them to his shin guards or you could put it in the back of his foot. For the tops of his feet you could use a bony protrusion similar to the top of a pachysephalousar's head. The costume design is pretty cool I like the ragged fabric(good details). his armor, Is it bamboo or bones? He should also have chest protection the underbelly is the most vulnerable part of reptiles.

all in all I like the ideas ur working with. keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback and advice on what to do with the feet, much appreciated! To answer your question, it's bamboo. I didn't want to cover him with bones, I wanted to give it more of a woodland feel to it rather than cover him all in bone. I just wanted to give that to the shoulders. But sad to say, I'm not changing the size of the shoulder pads. :p

Then actually digitgrade, since the plantar doesn't touch the ground and the toes bear most of the weight. While this example uses a dog, it will will give you a general idea how digitgrade legs are structured and how they move. http://bestanimationbooks.com/general/digitigrades-intermediate-speed-land-animals

Generally speaking, digitgrade legs have a sharper slant. The notice ankle (where the blue and green meet) is also much higher than a human foot would be.

View attachment 6101

That is what I WAS trying to capture but obviously didn't nail it correctly. However, since you are taking the time to help me out in this, I thank you for it and much appreciate the help. :)