Quick Question from a future game developer

Which Theme?

• Aliens

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Elementals

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Demetrius

So, I am going to try to get into college for Game Design, and one of the types of games I want to make is a Fighting Game. Mostly because Mortal Kombat was one of the games I played before I considered myself a "gamer".

These are my two favorite Fighting Game Settings/Stories, and I was wondering which one you guys liked more. The game would be based like Mortal Kombat, 2D and with Finishers, though more "Wam! Bam! Thank you Ma'am!" and less Kung Lao's Buzzsaw. One of the finishers would even be a "Your not worth my time", where the winner just kind of makes a hand motion and walks away.

Anyway, these are the two story ideas:

Aliens: Humanity is wiped out in World War 3. Several Centuries pass, and an alien race with technology far beyond our imagining recreates one of our soldiers/Spec Ops guys, and gives him an ultimatum; We have brought several species back from extinction, and we need help fighting this other alien race that is driving US to extinction. We need the best of the best warriors. Whoever wins our tournament will have their species brought back to life.

Characters would include a single human, with aliens not unlike Predator (In design, so humanoid with various feats. Though, I suppose Predator would make a pretty mean guest....)

Elementals: Basically, this one is less thought out, but it would be more mystical, less technological. You would have people turning into elementals for various moves, and it would be stuff like Sand, Blood, and quite possibly even Death or a Vampire (Alucard from Hellsing, NOT any abomination from Twilight.) I don't know why they are fighting, but I will come up with one soon and get back to you guys.

I have some mechanics worked out, because it can't be just a Mortal Kombat 1-3 clone, so I will get back to you guys on that later; it's dinner time :D

Armon24

I voted Elementals because Aliens are in EVERY video game these days. Halo, Crysis, Resistance, etc.

I hope to see your Elemental story dude.

Demetrius

I voted Elementals because Aliens are in EVERY video game these days. Halo, Crysis, Resistance, etc.

I hope to see your Elemental story dude.

True, I hadn't even looked at it that way.

Anyway, I will start thinking of WHY they are fighting, but as of right now, I have one idea of HOW they are fighting. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ALL IN THE WORKS, AND I AM RUNNING IT BY FIGHTING GAME ENTHUSIASTS TO SEE IF IT HAS POTENTIAL! That is all.

The game is actually based around Stances, with less emphasis on Quarter Circle Forwards, and more just knowing what your character can do. The three stances in the game would be: Offensive, Defensive, and Elemental.

Offensive: Moves faster than the other two, allowing it to cross ground faster. Deals standard punches and kicks by pressing the face buttons, with short combos of 1-2-1, much like Mortal Kombat 2011.

Defensive: Deals with counters and grabs. Pressing 1 would counter moves by moving you back, pressing 2 would counter moves by dealing damage (Think DoA) and so on. A Counter will always beat out a Standard Attack, so Defensive Stance trumps Offensive.

Elemental: This is were Projectiles and Specials come into play. Instead of a Combo of buttons, you just pop into Elemental Stance and push a face button to activate your projectile. In this way, Elemental Stance beats out Defensive, but due to long recharge times (again, like in MK), Offensive beats out Elemental due to Speed.

So basically, it's Rock Paper Scissors, trying to cross eachother up. Stances can be switched on teh fly, so you can go from Offensive, for the speed boost, to Elemental when right next to someone to shoot off a point blank fireball, or if you expect to get hit while sprinting forwar, into Defensive to Counter their attack.

As I said, Stances can be switched on the fly, so say you're playing as the Wind Elemental, you could create a combo like so: 1-3-2 (Assuming that's one of his/her combos), Elemental Stance - Tornado hold (Think Kitana's Fan Wave), Offensive Stance - Jump Punch, Elemental Stance - Dive Kick, Defensive Stance - Grapple.

So to summerize: It has less of a focus on Button Inputs and more focus on switching stances. In this way, a Newb could pick it up and play perfectly fine, but pro players will try to learn how to swap stances on the fly. Definatly another game focusing on Costum Combos and finishers, but I think it's different enough to NOT be a MK clone.

Also, assuming this sort of thing worked, not sure if I should include QCF's to allow you to use certain moves outside of stances; Elemental Powers by doing QCF 1, for instance. But I suppose if I did that, no one would leave Offensive due to the speed boost it gets...

Sky Valley

I think maybe you could have both aliens and elementals. I like alot of diversity in fighting games, which is why I like Mortal Kombat opposed to tekken and most other games.

I think both your ideas are really good, maybe you could try to combine everything together. It would kinda give the game an old school vibe. Because to me, killer Instict was the last fighting game
to have a random group of characters so different from eachother.

I hope you become successfull with this. Hell, if I could draw I would be all up for ideas for a fighting game. And this generation of gaming needs a new fighting game series. We cant just keep playing the same Super street fighter hyper mega dulux game every year. I hope you keep strong with your goal to make a fighting game. good luck.

Demetrius

I plan on making it more oldschool, an Arcade game instead of a full $60 one. Make it look more like the Oldschool games, not this 2.5D stuff.

I hope I can do it, too. I've been talking to DeVry and Digipen, DeVry is just sending me links to Info instead of talking to me, which is always a bad sign, and Digipen will LITERALLY cost me an arm and a leg to attend. Waiting for a responce from them, too.

I don't know about combining them, though. Naturally, I'll have a team to help me make decisions, but I don't know if I want to go into Alien- Elemental-Cyborg-ancient greeks type of deal. It's one of those things I really, really HATE about games like League of Legends.

That's not to say Mortal Kombat does the same thing; it's all tied together, and it all shares the same visual style. I don't know, I'll have to think about it...

Hmmm....

Sand, Blood, Darkness, Light, Wind, Water, Fire for Elemental, with the Bosses being Earth and Time....

possibly mixed with huge futuristic warriors/aliens.... I don't know...

Also, thinking I might make the Elemental one Persian themed, much like MK is themed around Japan...

Zentrix

I plan on making it more oldschool, an Arcade game instead of a full $60 one. Make it look more like the Oldschool games, not this 2.5D stuff.

I hope I can do it, too. I've been talking to DeVry and Digipen, DeVry is just sending me links to Info instead of talking to me, which is always a bad sign, and Digipen will LITERALLY cost me an arm and a leg to attend. Waiting for a responce from them, too.

I don't know about combining them, though. Naturally, I'll have a team to help me make decisions, but I don't know if I want to go into Alien- Elemental-Cyborg-ancient greeks type of deal. It's one of those things I really, really HATE about games like League of Legends.

That's not to say Mortal Kombat does the same thing; it's all tied together, and it all shares the same visual style. I don't know, I'll have to think about it...

Hmmm....

Sand, Blood, Darkness, Light, Wind, Water, Fire for Elemental, with the Bosses being Earth and Time....

possibly mixed with huge futuristic warriors/aliens.... I don't know...

Also, thinking I might make the Elemental one Persian themed, much like MK is themed around Japan...
Did you try full sail university or Uat? those are good schools too. Personally I chose Uat