Primal Rage 2 Beta Board Publically Playable

RIPLIUKANG

This has been making some waves in the fighting game community, but the Galloping Ghost Arcade has received a test board of the cancelled Primal Rage 2, donated by MK Tom Brady, and now has it out on the arcade floor for all to play it.

Several sites have covered this historic find:

Shoryuken
Kotaku
Joystiq
Retroids
Destructoid
Arcade Heroes

There is also some video footage of the gameplay on GGA's Twitch account: www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

What do you think about this? I personally never knew a Primal Rage 2 was in development ever, and after playing it first-hand, seems like a interesting diversion away from the core gameplay of the first game. Take a look at the video and write out what your opinions are here.

Last edited:
I remember reading about a contest in one of the big gaming mags at the time (probably Nintendo Power) circa 1996 where the winner got to do digitized motion capture as one of the worshippers in Primal Rage 2, so I knew a sequel was being developed. I think the first game being pulled from store shelves over the Chaos urination fatality may have been a factor in PR2's cancellation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Game looks like crap. Why get rid of the dinosaurs? That's your niche! It's one thing that separates you from superiors titles like MK and SF. I know this game was cancelled but I can't believe this idea of switching to human combatants was even entertained.

Game looks like crap. Why get rid of the dinosaurs? That's your niche! It's one thing that separates you from superiors titles like MK and SF. I know this game was cancelled but I can't believe this idea of switching to human combatants was even entertained.

I don't know. The whole transforming from human to dinosaur gimmick doesn't seem too bad, especially for something made in the mid-90s. It seemed pretty smooth in gameplay from the stream. At worst, it seems like the option to play as (or against) a dino straight up was possible.

The whole being able to turn into the animals kind of reminds me of Bloody Roar.
The should have just kept the dinosaurs / creatures.

Any official info on why this didn't ever release?

Primal Rage 2 began production in 1995, while Bloody Roar was released in 1997. I couldn't find any info on when BR started production, so I don't know who was the first to pull the trigger on the idea.

Apparently early on in production, Atari didn't think it was going to generate enough sales, so the game was cancelled. In the stream, it's mentioned that one of guys who worked on PR2 went to work on SFIII.

I don't know how much of the information is 100% legit though, since its a lot of hearsay and wikis.

The reason they transformed like that was from the novel that was released. The final boss was this big skeletal dragon that trapped each fighting dinosaur in a certain place.

Like Vertigo was trapped on the moon.

Blizzard was trapped in a mountain.

And the big bad dragon dude was being nasty to everyone so somehow or another certain humans were chosen to be the avatar for the fighting dinos and monkeys.

In the book they fought each other i think to see who would get the chance to fight for their freedom but it ended up being all of them together or something.

I read it in middle school so that might not be word for word what happened but thats the gist of it.

Game seems pretty cool, I would love to get my hands on it but I don't have that luxury.

Primal Rage 2 began production in 1995, while Bloody Roar was released in 1997. I couldn't find any info on when BR started production, so I don't know who was the first to pull the trigger on the idea.

Apparently early on in production, Atari didn't think it was going to generate enough sales, so the game was cancelled. In the stream, it's mentioned that one of guys who worked on PR2 went to work on SFIII.

I don't know how much of the information is 100% legit though, since its a lot of hearsay and wikis.

To add on the same guy who went on to work on SFIII said the reason why they added humans was to try to draw in the competive crowd since the first only drew in casuals for its novelty (which is kinda ironic since primal rage one was possibly on of the most balanced games of its time and it didn't even have no infinites) and the game was 80% complete before atari pulled the plug on the project