Potential Major Issue Regarding Klassic Costumes

Taj Gill

Alright, so I was reading the thread about the Alternate Costumes confirmed to be in the Krypt and not DLC. Whether or not that includes the Klassic Costumes is unknown as of now, but if it does, it may pose a major problem.

Recently Boon confirmed on Twitter that the Alternates will be unlockable from the krypt and not DLC from this tweet:

RT @Cloak007 @noobde Will we have to purchase alternate costumes SF4 style? =( PLEASE reply!.. Thanks Noobde: No, they are in the Krypt!

Now, like I said it is unknown if they are including the Klassic Costumes in this, but if they are, this leads to good news AND bad news. I am going to bring over the post I made on that thread into this one so its clearer to you all and addresses the good news and bad news:

Firstly, I am going to show how it makes sense that the Klassic Costumes are on the disc and not DLC.

1. The Challenge Tower has the old school kombat challenge where both sub-zero and scorpion skins come into play.
2. In the Gamestop TV Ad, the commentator at the end says "Pre-order at gamestop to UNLOCK Scorpions Klassic Costume and Fatality".

Now if that is indeed the case, this brings back to the good news, bad news situation.

The good news: The klassic costumes are essentially free, the pre-order bonuses are designed to give you early access to whichever costume you prefer without having to play through the game to unlock them in the krypt. It is not DLC at all.

The bad news: The bad news is that NRS should have clarified this earlier. Many people pre-ordered multiple copies/editions of the game thinking the skins were DLC and not unlockables in the krypt and didnt want to wait before they become released on XBL or PSN. Basically, the people have wasted their money because they can easily enough unlock the costumes in the krypt, which they spent real life money for, they couldve just bought one edition for the skin they wanted the most.

If what I said ends up being true, WB and the retailers need a swift kick in the ass for doing this. They basically ripped off people by not telling us that the costumes were NOT DLC and were on the disc. Everyone was under the impression the costumes were DLC, hence many threads were created with people conflicted, not knowing where to pre-order from, talking about pre-ordering multiple copies for the different costumes, etc.

All of this could have been avoided. The question is, did WB and the retailers purposely not expose this information til now so they could make serious profit from this? I know they tweeted that theyre not expecting us to pre-order from every retailer, but they didnt specify exactly why, and people still went along with it.

Now what do you guys think of that? This is a potential serious issue and someone should tweet NRS asking if the Klassic Costumes are a part of this. If they are, a lot of people have been ripped off for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited:
I think he was just referring to the "alternate" costumes like the one you see Ermac wearing in the Kratos trailer. The ones you get for preorders are "retro" costumes. A while back Boon said they would be available later on down the road for people who couldn't get a copy of the game from all 3 different retailers. I wouldn't worry about it man.

No one has been ripped off, you just assumed, and you assumed wrong. Feel sorry for those who preordered more than one copy, but just as NRS didn't say they were gonna be in the Krypt before, they didn't say they weren't going to either.

Who said we would get the costumes even if they are on the disc? NRS might just make us pay for them later even just to unlock

Honestly, and no offense, but I think it is insanely stupid to preorder the same game from different retailers just to get something that everyone knew that was either gonna be DLC or in the Krypt anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

It was very confusing, and I considered buying 3 copies (thinking I would return 2 of them later), but eventually decided to get just the one.

Uhm ... Did it ever occur to you Boon might've been referring to the 2nd costume, and not the classic one?? The guy clearly asked for alternate, and not classic.

Besides, going over the ads (Kollector's and Tournament Editions), it says on the classic costume card (and I quote) "RETRO-NINJA ORIGINAL COSTUME DLC"

I'm guessing the guy who tweeted was either a bit confused, or used the wrong words.

Bottom line:
1) Alternates are in the Krypte
2) Klassic/Retro (and maybe others) are DLC ;)

I've been thinking about this for a long time. The fact we've not gotten a 100% straight and detailed answer makes me think that marketing are trying to pull a fast one. Maybe I'm paranoid but isn't it simple to announce the facts?

Thanfully for me my situation is unique. I'm buying two copies and selling one to a friend, while I keep all the codes. He knows I'm doing this so there's no foul play.

Honestly, and no offense, but I think it is insanely stupid to preorder the same game from different retailers just to get something that everyone knew that was either gonna be DLC or in the Krypt anyway.
This is spot on. Anyone who pre-ordered the game multiple times to get costumes ripped themselves off.

Okay you people attacking need to calm your asses down. I said IF THIS WERE THE CASE. No one has clarified as of yet what the hell the Klassic Costumes are, they are obviously NOT DLC because the gamestop ad said "pre-order to UNLOCK the skin and fatality". So amadasan, you are wrong. We do not know if you have to PURCHASE a code to unlock them like SF4, or if they are unlockable from the krypt and the pre-order bonuses just give you early access to them.

Some of you need to read before freaking out, honestly. All I am asking for is a little more clarification. And I am also asking you people to stop saying the klassic costumes are DLC when theyre not, theyre already on the damned disc.

I'm hoping for all of the retro outfits to be unlockable in the game. If they are, it will earn them much more respect that they have lost in my personal opinion. I can see this happening know, because I know of an example. When you pre-order Halo Reach, you get this unlockable helmet called Recon, and it has an upgraded attachment already on it. But later in the game as you rank up, you can buy the base helmet of that. All it did was grant people access to it from the beginning, it was already in the game.

Okay you people attacking need to calm your asses down. I said IF THIS WERE THE CASE. No one has clarified as of yet what the hell the Klassic Costumes are, they are obviously NOT DLC because the gamestop ad said "pre-order to UNLOCK the skin and fatality". We do not know if you have to PURCHASE a code to unlock them like SF4, or if they are unlockable from the krypt and the pre-order bonuses just give you early access to them.

Some of you need to read before freaking out, honestly. All I am asking for is a little more clarification.

Taj, you should be used to this by now. People are gonna jump the gun and shoot their mouths off. I've noticed that people on this forum try to make themselves look smart by trying to make others look stupid. You bring up some valid points. And if they klassic kostumes are in the kyrpt, this was a complete dick move by WB.

I'm hoping for all of the retro outfits to be unlockable in the game. If they are, it will earn them much more respect that they have lost in my personal opinion. I can see this happening know, because I know of an example. When you pre-order Halo Reach, you get this unlockable helmet called Recon, and it has an upgraded attachment already on it. But later in the game as you rank up, you can buy the base helmet of that. All it did was grant people access to it from the beginning, it was already in the game.

As good as that is, it sucks for the people who pre-ordered multiple copies though. I didnt, thank god, but still. Thats what my OP was getting at, NRS ripped people off if this scenario is true.

People that waste their money on pre-ordering multiple copies at multiple locations JUST for the pre-order kostumes, are making that choice themselves. That's their own fault. NRS is not responsible for people who choose to do that. NRS has done what they can legally, and that's hint at and state that all these things will be available to everyone eventually. So wasting your money is your choice if you feel the need to have everything right away. NRS can't come out and say "They are unlockable in the game" because that would likely go against whatever contract they have with Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy etc. The pre-order bonuses are meant to get them sales, so they can't just go out and say "All these things are in the game so don't worry about pre-ordering".

It wouldn't be the first time this was the case, as this has been done with other games in the past. Pre-order bonuses such as these aren't always really exclusive DLC stuff, sometimes it's just gaining you the ability to unlock it via a code rather than in-game methods. It's not NRS responsibility to tell obsessive fans with a lot of money, to not go pre-ordering a copy at every store. That would completely defeat the purpose of the pre-order bonus deal they have with the stores.

People that waste their money on pre-ordering multiple copies at multiple locations JUST for the pre-order kostumes, are making that choice themselves. That's their own fault. NRS is not responsible for people who choose to do that. NRS has done what they can legally, and that's hint at and state that all these things will be available to everyone eventually. So wasting your money is your choice if you feel the need to have everything right away. NRS can't come out and say "They are unlockable in the game" because that would likely go against whatever contract they have with Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy etc. The pre-order bonuses are meant to get them sales, so they can't just go out and say "All these things are in the game so don't worry about pre-ordering".

It wouldn't be the first time this was the case, as this has been done with other games in the past. Pre-order bonuses such as these aren't always really exclusive DLC stuff, sometimes it's just gaining you the ability to unlock it via a code rather than in-game methods. It's not NRS responsibility to tell obsessive fans with a lot of money, to not go pre-ordering a copy at every store. That would completely defeat the purpose of the pre-order bonus deal they have with the stores.

This, too, is a valid point.

As good as that is, it sucks for the people who pre-ordered multiple copies though. I didnt, thank god, but still. Thats what my OP was getting at, NRS ripped people off if this scenario is true.
Yeah that's true but honestly, preordering extra copies just for alternate costumes is pretty retarded. haha