Potential Major Issue Regarding Klassic Costumes

Honestly, and no offense, but I think it is insanely stupid to preorder the same game from different retailers just to get something that everyone knew that was either gonna be DLC or in the Krypt anyway.

Agreed entirely. It's just awaste of money to preorder the same game..

People that waste their money on pre-ordering multiple copies at multiple locations JUST for the pre-order kostumes, are making that choice themselves. That's their own fault. NRS is not responsible for people who choose to do that. NRS has done what they can legally, and that's hint at and state that all these things will be available to everyone eventually. So wasting your money is your choice if you feel the need to have everything right away. NRS can't come out and say "They are unlockable in the game" because that would likely go against whatever contract they have with Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy etc. The pre-order bonuses are meant to get them sales, so they can't just go out and say "All these things are in the game so don't worry about pre-ordering".

It wouldn't be the first time this was the case, as this has been done with other games in the past. Pre-order bonuses such as these aren't always really exclusive DLC stuff, sometimes it's just gaining you the ability to unlock it via a code rather than in-game methods. It's not NRS responsibility to tell obsessive fans with a lot of money, to not go pre-ordering a copy at every store. That would completely defeat the purpose of the pre-order bonus deal they have with the stores.

These are definitely good points indeed. I guess I am talking more from a fans' perspective rather than anything else.

People that waste their money on pre-ordering multiple copies at multiple locations JUST for the pre-order kostumes, are making that choice themselves. That's their own fault. NRS is not responsible for people who choose to do that. NRS has done what they can legally, and that's hint at and state that all these things will be available to everyone eventually. So wasting your money is your choice if you feel the need to have everything right away. NRS can't come out and say "They are unlockable in the game" because that would likely go against whatever contract they have with Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy etc. The pre-order bonuses are meant to get them sales, so they can't just go out and say "All these things are in the game so don't worry about pre-ordering".

It wouldn't be the first time this was the case, as this has been done with other games in the past. Pre-order bonuses such as these aren't always really exclusive DLC stuff, sometimes it's just gaining you the ability to unlock it via a code rather than in-game methods. It's not NRS responsibility to tell obsessive fans with a lot of money, to not go pre-ordering a copy at every store. That would completely defeat the purpose of the pre-order bonus deal they have with the stores.

^^
This. 100%

NRS Kommunity Manager already mentioned that all Pre-Order DLC will be available to everyone, anyways.
Meaning, a few months after you can buy the Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Reptile Klassic Costumes and Fatalities. ;-)

People who pre-ordered multiple copies can easily cancel them....... I think you're making this out bigger then it needs to be, people who are getting multiple copies of the game just don't want for the klassics, they want em all at once, they knew what they were getting themselves into.

These are definitely good points indeed. I guess I am talking more from a fans' perspective rather than anything else.

Well...NRS has done what they can to ensure fans that they will get their hands on everything eventually, and that pre-ordering from every store offering a kostume is not necessary nor expected in order to get everything. As I said, they can't just say "Don't pre-order, it's all in the game on the disc" because that would defeat the whole purpose. Stores pay WB in order to obtain an exclusive so that people will purchase the game from their store specifically. If you say everything is in the game, then there's no sense of exclusivity, and it's not important where you get the game from.

From a fan's perspective, it's outrageous to pre-order the same game from multiple stores just to get 1 little item that has been stated to be available to everyone eventually. So...no, I don't feel sorry for them. If those fans had patience, they wouldn't be throwing their money down the drain. Like I said, that's their choice. I want everything as well, but I can wait and just enjoy the game for everything it has to offer. I don't need everyone's klassic outfits right away in order to be happy and content. I'm sorry that some people do, but they know what they are getting themselves into, so I don't feel bad.

I'd be very happy if the outfits were in the game as unlockables, and signs point to that being the case. They should be on the disc, and the pre-orders should only offer immediate unlocking instead of getting them via the game's method. Pre-orders that offer exclusive content that can't be gotten any other way, are the ones that are doing fans wrong...not these ones.

Thanks for this Taj im actually happy since Best Buy canceled my pre-order and changes the Klassic skin code for only the Standard edition and so I went to Gamestop for the Kollectors but this was what I kinda of suspected all along, good news for me

Well...NRS has done what they can to ensure fans that they will get their hands on everything eventually, and that pre-ordering from every store offering a kostume is not necessary nor expected in order to get everything. As I said, they can't just say "Don't pre-order, it's all in the game on the disc" because that would defeat the whole purpose. Stores pay WB in order to obtain an exclusive so that people will purchase the game from their store specifically. If you say everything is in the game, then there's no sense of exclusivity, and it's not important where you get the game from.

From a fan's perspective, it's outrageous to pre-order the same game from multiple stores just to get 1 little item that has been stated to be available to everyone eventually. So...no, I don't feel sorry for them. If those fans had patience, they wouldn't be throwing their money down the drain. Like I said, that's their choice. I want everything as well, but I can wait and just enjoy the game for everything it has to offer. I don't need everyone's klassic outfits right away in order to be happy and content. I'm sorry that some people do, but they know what they are getting themselves into, so I don't feel bad.

I'd be very happy if the outfits were in the game as unlockables, and signs point to that being the case. They should be on the disc, and the pre-orders should only offer immediate unlocking instead of getting them via the game's method. Pre-orders that offer exclusive content that can't be gotten any other way, are the ones that are doing fans wrong...not these ones.

I guess this is split between the groups of fans then, if this is true. Fans like us, who just pre-ordered one edition, with one kostume and/or fatality will definitely be happy because we get everything for free if the klassic costumes are unlockable from the krypt. Fans who went as far as pre-ordering multiple editions would be screwed in this situation. If the situation is that the skins are Paid unlockable content, then it wouldnt be a rip-off for the fans who pre-ordered multiple editons/copies. It all boils down to them replying to kelsper's tweet. Some are gonna be pissed off, some are gonna be happy.

Last edited:
I guess this is split between the groups of fans then, if this is true. Fans like us, who just pre-ordered one edition, with one kostume and/or fatality will definitely be happy because we get everything for free if the klassic costumes are unlockable from the krypt. Fans who went as far as pre-ordering multiple editions would be screwed in this situation. If the situation is that the skins are Paid unlockable content, then it wouldnt be a rip-off for the fans who pre-ordered multiple editons/copies. It all boils down to them replying to kelsper's tweet.

Yeah, but I don't think the fans who went out and bought multiple copies just for the outfits should feel "screwed" or "cheated" etc. NRS said they would all be available eventually. So fans who bought multiple copies knew that these weren't really exclusive. So it's their choice to spend the extra money just to get the outfits immediately, which they will still get. They are getting what they paid for. If the costumes are DLC, theyd only be a dollar each at the very most, if not free, so the fans made the choice to pay for another copy($60) just to get the outfit sooner. If the outfits turn out to be in the game, oh well...they never said they wouldn't be. Contractually and legally they couldn't say they were in the game, as I stated above. So really, fans are making their own choice, and rolling the dice. So they have no right to feel cheated or screwed. They paid to get the outfits right away, and they got them. That's all they were promised.

I've been saying this for a while now, I really think the classic costumes are on the disc and will be unlockable, and the pre-order bonus are just to get the costumes and fatalities earlier. My reasons to think that:

- The costumes are on the disc, as we've seen that a challenge at the tower will feature Scorpion's and Sub-Zero's retro costumes. I'm thinking the others one will be there as well.
- If this game is a fan service and a return to the roots as it's supposed to be, than it should have the classic costumes and fatalities available for everyone on the disc.
- The fact that it said unlock and not download at Gamestop's ad.

I don't think NRS will pull out a Capcom on us and have us pay for unlocking content on the disc. And I think the reason this hasn't been cleared yet is marketing purposes. A lot of people would not have pre-ordered the game at one of the retailers with bonuses if they knew they could unlock all that stuff later.

Now, about the problem Taj talked about, if people pre-ordered multiple copies of the game at multiple retailers just to get the exclusive content, it was their choice, and excuse me, but a very stupid one. Even if it turn out the costumes and fatalities are not on the disc, they'll certainly be DLC later, and it's much cheaper to buy some DLCs than to order 4 or more copies of the game. And as GOBBLESNOOFERS said above, they can always cancel it.

He might indeed be referring to the 2nd character costumes and not the old school ones. Either way, it's never too late to cancel a payment done by a credit card so if anyone feels cheated just call VISA or MCard support and they'll reverse the transactions.

This need's to be clarified. Alternate and Klassic/Retro DLC costumes are In the krypt? Or just the alternate.

For the record, I think Ed was stating that the Alternate costumes are in the Krypt, not the retro outfits. Though, the retro outfits were listed in the leak on the disc if I remember correctly, so I think they are on the disc. Which further adds to the theory that they are unlockable on the disc. The Gamestop message also adds to that.

Taj, you should be used to this by now. People are gonna jump the gun and shoot their mouths off. I've noticed that people on this forum try to make themselves look smart by trying to make others look stupid. You bring up some valid points. And if they klassic kostumes are in the kyrpt, this was a complete dick move by WB.

People try to make other look stupid while making themselves look smart period.Anytime u have a lot of ppl and topics going on this is gonna happen sadly..See everybody is worried about all of this rep stuff so that contributes to it as well.

For the record, I think Ed was stating that the Alternate costumes are in the Krypt, not the retro outfits. Though, the retro outfits were listed in the leak on the disc if I remember correctly, so I think they are on the disc. Which further adds to the theory that they are unlockable on the disc. The Gamestop message also adds to that.

I hope its all on the disc.

I appreciate you bringing this up, Taj. Interesting to think about. I had always assumed that they'd be dlc after a while. But now that I think about it, it seems very possible that they'd be unlockable in the krypt.

Dude, chill!! I wasn't attacking. And for the record, I wasn't trying to make you look stupid (if you and the other posts were referring to me).

But I stand by my opinion. The Klassic/Retro costumes will be DLC. Take a look at character trailers. For instance, Noob Saibot's trailer has the 'buy kollector's edition" promo at the end, and it clearly says (again, I quote) "ERMAC ORIGINAL COSTUME DLC". To me, an official trailer (which I think it is) is a more reliable source of info than a retailer's description.

You weren't wrong asking for more clarification. Hell, we all need'em. But as much as I'd want them to be on disc, they probably won't be.

Last edited:
I think these are merely early access codes and thats it, that was the original idea back in Dec anyway it only makes since I just dont see them selling these as DLC at a later date

I don't know anything about discs or DLC, but is it possible to buy a DLC kodes to activate the retro kostumes as playable since they are in the disc already? And how many alternative kosumes will there be if anyone knows?