PlayStation Event thread 2/20/13

Commander

I decided that I would make a thread for this, because I didn't see one for it / know if any one was interested.

Just thought I'd kick things off by saying that Sony is giving $10 vouchers to people on PSN.
I'm not sure if I got a voucher, but as soon as I get home, I'll update the thread.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/20/playstation-is-giving-out-free-money

Also, if you love Trials Evolution and Trials HD on 360, Sony is getting a similar game titled "Urban Trials Freestyle."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/urban-trial-freestyle-is-pretty-much-trials-hd

If you guys hear anything new on the PlayStation event in NY, please post it here ;) :

8493790598_2828114625_h.jpg

8492689737_24e99d4c82_h.jpg

8492689591_27c4f81fd3_h.jpg

8493790392_db910ac4cc_h.jpg

8493790426_7aa90d4e13_h.jpg

I actually don't mind the controller. It looks a bit heavy but that's honestly how I prefer it. When I was a kid and had a PS1, I had 2 controllers, one with and one without the analog sticks and I always played with the one with them since it was heavier. I mean, I don't want to play with a 5 pound controller, but a little weight is all good by me.

The games for PS4 look pretty dope; really diggin the Watch Dogs one the most out of all of them. Infamous Second Son looks interesting as well.

From eurogamer

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

"Do you want us to do that?" he asked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

"So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

I said I thought that was fine.

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

I think I speak for everyone here about how sick MK10 is going to be on this beautiful beast of a machine get HYPE!

The share button should've been on top of the home button. The light bar seems to be a useless feature, I hope that mine never shows pink lol. The touchpad is totally useless on the Vita so far, so I don't know how I feel about this. The controller does look quite comfy.

Oh...and they won't be making MK10 next, Injustice 2 baby!

From eurogamer

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has told Eurogamer that PlayStation 4 will not block the use of second-hand games, contrary to various reports, speculation and even a Sony patent unearthed last month.

I sat down with Yoshida a few hours after the PS4 reveal tonight and one of the first things I asked was whether used games would be blocked.

No, I said. I think, if you buy something on a disc, that you have a kind of moral contract with the person you've bought it from that you retain some of that value and you can pass it on.

Do you agree, I asked?

"Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

So if someone buys a PlayStation 4 game, I asked, you're not going to stop them reselling it?

"Aaaah," was Yoshida's initial answer, but seemingly only because he'd forgotten his line. "So what was our official answer to our internal question?" he asked his Japanese PR advisor. The advisor stepped in but didn't seem to answer clearly, at least to my ears. Yoshida then took control again firmly:

Interestingly, I also spoke to a Sony source elsewhere at the event this evening who told me that the anti used-game patent discovered last month was actually nothing to do with PlayStation 4 at all.

The patent suggested that discs would come branded with a contactless tag that could be recognised and read by your console, which would then bind it to you and prevent you from selling it on.

This is the MAIN reason that I'm 100% behind Sony, now.
Was skeptical as to the rumors, but I'm glad I was wrong. ;)

Oh...and they won't be making MK10 next, Injustice 2 baby!

Bullshit!
Ed Boon is probably trolling again.

I DEMAND MK: Fire and Ice or Shaolin Monks 2. :The_Villagers:

One bad thing is your games you bought off psn won't transfer over. So I prolly won't be selling my ps3 just yet.

Same here.
My PS2 can go, since I've had the MGS HD Collection, but my PS3 is here to stay for quite a while.
Plus, for the first 6 months to a year, Sony will probably be making games for both PS3 and PS4, so there's no need to let go of it, just yet. ;)

From eurogamer

Do you agree, I asked?

Well, I am on record by saying that I wouldn't believe the rumors to be false until I actually saw official confirmation from the horse's mouth...Consider me a believer that the rumors are false, and I'm now at least considering buying the PS4 (at least when the price comes down). I still stand by my intentions of buying the Wii U, though. I already went 2 console generations without the fat plumber with the big red M on his cap that I grew up with, and I'm starting to miss him...

Now if only my phone company will actually install broadband internet in my area so I can ditch this Wild Blue shit; the latency from satellite internet keeps me from playing games online. :(

Ball's in Microsoft's court now. If they block used games, then the X-Box 720 will be the next 3DO.

I was hoping it would take longer for the next generation to appear. But there was no way this event would not have been about PS4 after all the marketing and mistery around it.

The problem about a new generation of consoles coming now to me is because here in Brazil the prices are gonna be absurd, so unless I sell both my PS3 and my Xbox, I'm probably not gonna buy it anytime soon. Although if the PS4 runs PS3 games, I'd be willing to do that. Does anyone know if that's gonna happen?

Btw, hi, I haven't posted in a long time :)

Fixed that for ya. :p

Sorry, but the 3DO was a MUCH bigger flop than the Dreamcast. At least Dreamcast set sales records at launch. If the 720 blocks used games, retailers like GameStop would flat-out refuse to stock it in retaliation, which would carry consequences similar to 3DO overpricing itself out of the market.