Official Mortal Kombat X Media Thread

Commander

I aint going to sit here and pretend i know what a Cat6 cable is lol but either way thats awesome

Similar to a Cat5 Ethernet cable (looks like a cable that goes to a house phone), but a little thicker, and allows for more data to flow through the cable.
It's essentially hooking the PS4 up, directly to the router, instead of wireless.

Last edited:

theincubuslord

Per Mod request, I'm not going to debate whether or not Tanya is black. That said, respectfully I just have to comment on a few of these posts:

First of all, TONS of people complained about this. They continue to do so. People complained ad nauseum about Idris Elba playing Heimdall. People are still complaining about Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch, when probably they should be complaining instead that the movie simply looks bad. People complained about Amandla Stenberg being cast as Rue in The Hunger Games, even though Rue is black in the book, because they weren't paying attention. Lenny Kravitz's casting as Cinna in that same movie also provoked a horrific racist response. This kind of thing has hit the mainstream media many times.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between whitewashing a black character and adapting a white character as black. It's a matter of volume. There are so few major black characters in media generally, comparatively, that making one of them white is significant. I used this metaphor before in the Tanya subforum -- imagine two bowls full of candy. The white bowl has 20 pieces in it and the black bowl has three. Taking a piece out of the black bowl is way more messed up. It would similarly be messed up to rewrite Kung Jin as straight. There's only one piece of candy in that bowl. Rewriting a formerly straight character as gay, though, would only take one piece out of a very full bowl and put another piece in the bowl that's nearly empty.

It's not a double standard, it's a matter of equity. For it to be hypocritical, the two groups would have to be starting on an equal playing field.

There is also a centuries-long history all over the world of denigrating black people, and holding up white people as better. This continues to the present. Reframing a black character as white underlines that. Black women in particular have and continue to be denigrated for their dark skin even within black culture, and lightening a female character -- especially if it's to make her 'more beautiful' or 'update' her -- has a particularly unpleasant historical connotation.

Again, this is a matter of equity. There are differences in our society between how white people are treated versus other kinds of people. Acknowledging that is not racist. The "black guy dies" thing in movies is about racial stereotyping, and how historically this happens to black characters far more often and more graphically. You can't just pretend the past didn't happen because you want to avoid talking about race in the present.

Being 'colorblind' is a noble goal, but in fact it often does more harm than good, because racism is not over and is a very real part of contemporary life. Here's a good article on that from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In any case, if I'm violating the request to change the subject, I'll move on. I just think it's terribly unfair to say there is no difference between casting Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and making a brown skinned character suddenly pale. Whether or not you like [MENTION=19407]mrkareemruiz[/MENTION] -- and he has definitely been rude on this forum before -- I think he has a valid point.

It's double-standards and hypocrisy whether or not the two are on equal playing fields. No matter how you look at it, it is taking a character and changing that character's race. And being okay with one way, but not the other, is called having double-standards, and by having so, is hypocrisy.

Instead of taking an already established character and changing it's race, then it would be alot better to add new characters which have the desired race. Jacqui is the result of such, and by doing it this way, you don't step on people's feet by changing someone's favourite character.

And as I've said many times, changing something like that in a character is just inconsistent and unnecessary.

Imperatrix Sindel

It's double-standards and hypocrisy whether or not the two are on equal playing fields. No matter how you look at it, it is taking a character and changing that character's race. And being okay with one way, but not the other, is called having double-standards, and by having so, is hypocrisy.

Instead of taking an already established character and changing it's race, then it would be alot better to add new characters which have the desired race. Jacqui is the result of such, and by doing it this way, you don't step on people's feet by changing someone's favourite character.

And as I've said many times, changing something like that in a character is just inconsistent and unnecessary.

All right, well, I disagree. I agree that creating more new minority characters is a great thing to do, though, of course.

Rezound

So uhh... media... yeah.. I saw this on Twitter, don't know if its been seen by others, but it does look like Photoshop was used. Can anyone confirm if its been proven fake? CDsRcsUUMAAcBjf.jpg

mrkareemruiz

Per Mod request, I'm not going to debate whether or not Tanya is black. That said, respectfully I just have to comment on a few of these posts:

First of all, TONS of people complained about this. They continue to do so. People complained ad nauseum about Idris Elba playing Heimdall. People are still complaining about Michael B. Jordan playing the Human Torch, when probably they should be complaining instead that the movie simply looks bad. People complained about Amandla Stenberg being cast as Rue in The Hunger Games, even though Rue is black in the book, because they weren't paying attention. Lenny Kravitz's casting as Cinna in that same movie also provoked a horrific racist response. This kind of thing has hit the mainstream media many times.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between whitewashing a black character and adapting a white character as black. It's a matter of volume. There are so few major black characters in media generally, comparatively, that making one of them white is significant. I used this metaphor before in the Tanya subforum -- imagine two bowls full of candy. The white bowl has 20 pieces in it and the black bowl has three. Taking a piece out of the black bowl is way more messed up. It would similarly be messed up to rewrite Kung Jin as straight. There's only one piece of candy in that bowl. Rewriting a formerly straight character as gay, though, would only take one piece out of a very full bowl and put another piece in the bowl that's nearly empty.

It's not a double standard, it's a matter of equity. For it to be hypocritical, the two groups would have to be starting on an equal playing field.

There is also a centuries-long history all over the world of denigrating black people, and holding up white people as better. This continues to the present. Reframing a black character as white underlines that. Black women in particular have and continue to be denigrated for their dark skin even within black culture, and lightening a female character -- especially if it's to make her 'more beautiful' or 'update' her -- has a particularly unpleasant historical connotation.

Again, this is a matter of equity. There are differences in our society between how white people are treated versus other kinds of people. Acknowledging that is not racist. The "black guy dies" thing in movies is about racial stereotyping, and how historically this happens to black characters far more often and more graphically. You can't just pretend the past didn't happen because you want to avoid talking about race in the present.

Being 'colorblind' is a noble goal, but in fact it often does more harm than good, because racism is not over and is a very real part of contemporary life. Here's a good article on that from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In any case, if I'm violating the request to change the subject, I'll move on. I just think it's terribly unfair to say there is no difference between casting Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and making a brown skinned character suddenly pale. Whether or not you like [MENTION=19407]mrkareemruiz[/MENTION] -- and he has definitely been rude on this forum before -- I think he has a valid point.

Great comment, i hope I'm not violating anything.

p.W

Having large lips & tanned skin makes you black? I'm black, it's confirmed.

I didn't say that Tanya is black. She could be the Edenian equivalent of Mediterranean, Indian, or Native, or she could have no real-world equivalent at all.

But to say that she "doesn't look remotely black" as Immortal Reaver said is nonsense. She's not white. Past that, we don't have the first clue as to what she is, and she could absolutely be black. Her Egyptian clothes design in MKX does suggest she was meant to be black in this game at least, and her concept art undeniably features her having a darker skin tone than the in-game model.

As long as fans are satisfied that's the main thing.

Let the topic die now

Very true.

Last edited:

Toy_Hero

I think Sareena looks fantastic in the game, it's a shame she never really got to properly take off. I know there were times she was meant to be in the game, but I think we're passed that now. The change of timeline makes it really hard to fit her in, unless they change her storyline. A shame realy

Last edited:

Commander

Same goes for Fujin.
Fujin's MKX model and and voice work are excellently done, and he disappears after Chapter 1, and is nowhere to be seen. :(

Toy_Hero

It really does suck, but I do think we'll see Fujin again. It's quite funny when you think back to it all. I remember thinking that we'd see characters like Fujin, Reiko, Sareena, Tanya as main roster characters but it didn't exactly turn out like that. I'm glad we got cameo's though. I thought especially with Netherealm having prominence in the storymode that Sareena might get her proper debut.

I'm kind of curious as to how it all plays out now with the new characters. Will we see Cassie/Jacqui back next game without Sonya/Johnny/Jax

Imperatrix Sindel

I think Fujin may be DLC but if not I'm sure he has a role to play next game.

Reiko, Sareena and others I'm not sure about. I thought the cameo for Sareena in this game was a nice nod for fans, but her model was very rough and I wonder if this was her last hurrah. Bi-Han is far less important in this timeline. I'd like to be wrong, though -- I think Sareena has a lot of potential. I'd love to see Ashrah back, too.

I do think Sonya, Johnny and Jax will sit out next game. Sonya and Jax at least.

Commander

I didn't think Sareena would be on the main roster, but yeah, Fujin, Tanya and Reiko seemed like the most likely (to me).

Bi-Han is far less important in this timeline. I'd like to be wrong, though --
Well, if he did survive the Soulnado, which is yet to be answered, then maybe his MK9 ending can be semi-canon for MK11.

Imperatrix Sindel

I think the comics created an unfortunate expectation. Reiko and Havik are probably there precisely *because* NRS had no plans for them and gave them to Kittelsen to use.

Toy_Hero

Were the rumours of Fujin/Li Mei/Spawn/And someone else possibly being in the next pack just bullsh!t? I can't even remember where it came from

Commander

I meant before the comics, though.
When MKX was first announced at E3 2014, I kept thinking "I wonder how Fujin and Reiko would play in MKX, with 3 variations each."

Imperatrix Sindel

Were the rumours of Fujin/Li Mei/Spawn/And someone else possibly being in the next pack just bullsh!t? I can't even remember where it came from

That was total bullshit, yes. Ed has deconfirmed Spawn and Smoke (the other character listed) is a Faction Kill assist, so there's no way he'll be DLC. (Having him summon himself would be bizarre.)

That said, if there's another round of DLC I'd expect two more characters, like Injustice, and based on the extent of the costume design work (a la Tanya, vs. other NPCs) I'd expect them to be Fujin and Li Mei.

p.W

I do think Sonya, Johnny and Jax will sit out next game. Sonya and Jax at least.

In terms of being playable characters? It's possible. But I wouldn't give them odds worse than 50-50, considering their history of making it into practically every game ever. We might not think of Jax as Raiden-level essential, but who's to say that NRS doesn't?

I think the comics created an unfortunate expectation. Reiko and Havik are probably there precisely *because* NRS had no plans for them and gave them to Kittelsen to use.

That is inarguably the case.

Toy_Hero

That was total bullshit, yes. Ed has deconfirmed Spawn and Smoke (the other character listed) is a Faction Kill assist, so there's no way he'll be DLC. (Having him summon himself would be bizarre.)

That said, if there's another round of DLC I'd expect two more characters, like Injustice, and based on the extent of the costume design work (a la Tanya, vs. other NPCs) I'd expect them to be Fujin and Li Mei.

That's what I thought. Li Mei is the only NPC that seems to have a completely revamped design. It's almost like a new version of her Deadly Alliance costume. Fujin I'd say without a doubt deserves a spot. People were confused as to why he didn't even make the first DLC pack. I think they could do so much with him this time around, especially with variations

p.W

You guys really think Li Mei has a legitimate chance? Yeah, she looked decent-ish, but so did Bo'Rai Cho and Rain. Does she even have a moveset that lends itself to three variations?

As for her design being revamped, well, it would have been a little weird if she were sitting there talking about her dead villagers with a :( and her boobs were falling out everywhere. I'm not sure Johnny would have been able to stay on topic.