Official Mortal Kombat X Media Thread

Guyver Spawn

Mortal Kombat has been going on for over 20 years now. MK9 made Mortal Kombat mainstream again and people are hype up for a new game in the series again. MK9 had older fans return back to the series since most of them claim that they stop playing MK after MK3 or MKDA, and introduced newer fans into the franchise. NRS is not going to end MK anytime soon.

Yellow Ledbetter

I do think the exact contrary. Now that they are taking a new perspective of the game, exploring other plots. It's just beginning...besides, we have seen nothing in 20 years of MK. There's A LOT to talk about.

Mr. Ice

OK, maybe I should have worded that differently - last traditional MK game ever made.

I'm sure in the future, after MKX, they'll either do another adventure game or a cross-over... perhaps both.

However, I don't think there will be an MK11. Think about it for a second.

Out of all the 60+ characters MK has to offer, how many of them will return for MKX? 12? Maybe 16 with DLC if we're lucky? Most characters will be new or relatives/descendants or characters that deserve/need a revamp/update and need to be properly established. That's the point of MKX. Some of the returning classic characters will at the same time be likely killed off. Other, non-playable cameo characters, will likely be killed off as well. The ones the team wants to get finally rid of - the ones they don't like or the ones that are unpopular or the ones that simply hold no value story wise and don't fit.

In the end, at the end of MKX's Story Mode, what will we be left with? It's not a stretch to presume that MKX will end with a conclusion. Not a conclusion that will resolve everything, that's impossible, but a conclusion that will likely solve some of the major issues and at the same time keep an open back door for several possible future scenarios. Likely some stuff will also remain unresolved and up for debate. But that won't be anything major since it is pretty clear that Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon HD isn't happening. No Onaga, Shujinko, etc. That part of MK is pretty much discarded at this point. MKX is more like MK4/Mythologies with bits and pieces from the PS2 games and a new Story of its own with its own twists and turns.

To sum this up... At the end of MKX most of the classic characters will be simply gone. Pretty much for good. Death may not mean that much in MK, but I think this time it will. This just feels different. We will be left with literally just a few classic characters, a few semi-classic characters, several descendants and a bunch of new ones that yet have to prove themselves. The story will be resolved, with possibly Quan Chi/Shinnok/Shao Kahn/Shang Tsung/Sektor/Mileena/Kano/Sonya dead and the PS2 arc scrapped, and that will bring us to an end with only side stories left to explore.

Now you're probably going to ask "Why introduce new characters for just one game?". Well, that is a valid question. But the thing is, new characters aren't as popular as the old ones. It's always been like that. And if they are it takes a while to get there. Truth is, we haven't seen any new faces since E3. It's been 5 months since E3, we're 5 months away from release and... nothing. Where are they? A game that is supposed to be all about fresh ideas and new blood and we're getting classics instead. Hm. Okay. To me it seems like NRS bit more than they could chew and aren't really confident about the new characters anymore. Remember how enthusiastic they were about them at E3? Where did that enthusiasm suddenly go?

And if you look at the title of the game - "MKX". Ed's been talking about new characters, number ten and a new engine. What he didn't tell you is that X also stands for the unknown. A question mark. In other words, the team doesn't really know how MK will continue after MKX, because they are likely not sure if it will be a success and if there will be left anything to tell. And no, last-gen isn't holding MKX off. NRS is making next-gen versions and don't really care how they last-gen ones will end up. So all in all, they're trying to play it safe as much as they can...

Whatever characters they come up with, I'm sure I will enjoy. A lot of these new characters, people enjoy. A lot of the returning characters, catch your interest. Even if you weren't fans of the characters in the past, they look interesting now. I wasn't a fan of Kano or Quan Chi, now I think they look really cool. The only character I think people aren't the biggest fan of, is Cassie Cage.

I think this is because, Johnny or Sonya are possibly being replaced by her. It's a possibility they'll scrap the idea of next gen characters, but it all depends on the fans. Johnny Cage/Sonya players will decide if they love Cassie or hate her. It all depends on popular demand/ feedback I guess. I could be far off, but who knows? One thing I know for sure, is that I don't know. Lol.

Guyver Spawn

The timeline has changed, so I think MKX can lead up to brand new events that we never seen before since everyone died in the original timeline during Armageddon expect for Shao Kahn, Shinnok, Liu Kang's ghost and possibly Taven. No Armageddon = new possible major events.

Lin Kuei Assassin

OK, maybe I should have worded that differently - last traditional MK game ever made.

I'm sure in the future, after MKX, they'll either do another adventure game or a cross-over... perhaps both.

However, I don't think there will be an MK11. Think about it for a second.

Out of all the 60+ characters MK has to offer, how many of them will return for MKX? 12? Maybe 16 with DLC if we're lucky? Most characters will be new or relatives/descendants or characters that deserve/need a revamp/update and need to be properly established. That's the point of MKX. Some of the returning classic characters will at the same time be likely killed off. Other, non-playable cameo characters, will likely be killed off as well. The ones the team wants to get finally rid of - the ones they don't like or the ones that are unpopular or the ones that simply hold no value story wise and don't fit.

In the end, at the end of MKX's Story Mode, what will we be left with? It's not a stretch to presume that MKX will end with a conclusion. Not a conclusion that will resolve everything, that's impossible, but a conclusion that will likely solve some of the major issues and at the same time keep an open back door for several possible future scenarios. Likely some stuff will also remain unresolved and up for debate. But that won't be anything major since it is pretty clear that Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon HD isn't happening. No Onaga, Shujinko, etc. That part of MK is pretty much discarded at this point. MKX is more like MK4/Mythologies with bits and pieces from the PS2 games and a new Story of its own with its own twists and turns.

To sum this up... At the end of MKX most of the classic characters will be simply gone. Pretty much for good. Death may not mean that much in MK, but I think this time it will. This just feels different. We will be left with literally just a few classic characters, a few semi-classic characters, several descendants and a bunch of new ones that yet have to prove themselves. The story will be resolved, with possibly Quan Chi/Shinnok/Shao Kahn/Shang Tsung/Sektor/Mileena/Kano/Sonya dead and the PS2 arc scrapped, and that will bring us to an end with only side stories left to explore.

Now you're probably going to ask "Why introduce new characters for just one game?". Well, that is a valid question. But the thing is, new characters aren't as popular as the old ones. It's always been like that. And if they are it takes a while to get there. Truth is, we haven't seen any new faces since E3. It's been 5 months since E3, we're 5 months away from release and... nothing. Where are they? A game that is supposed to be all about fresh ideas and new blood and we're getting classics instead. Hm. Okay. To me it seems like NRS bit more than they could chew and aren't really confident about the new characters anymore. Remember how enthusiastic they were about them at E3? Where did that enthusiasm suddenly go?

And if you look at the title of the game - "MKX". Ed's been talking about new characters, number ten and a new engine. What he didn't tell you is that X also stands for the unknown. A question mark. In other words, the team doesn't really know how MK will continue after MKX, because they are likely not sure if it will be a success and if there will be left anything to tell. And no, last-gen isn't holding MKX off. NRS is making next-gen versions and don't really care how they last-gen ones will end up. So all in all, they're trying to play it safe as much as they can...

This is a very thorough and well-written analysis, Mr. Ice - thank you for this. I see where you're coming from in your assertion here, but I still have to disagree that this will be the last MK, even if it's the last modern/traditional MK as you put it. There are plenty of traces and hints that this could be the case (as you point out), but I think there's still too much life and potential left in the franchise to just end it with MKX.

I definitely agree that new characters don't seem to be as popular as older ones. It's because of this that I don't think they'd ever just give us a "from scratch" MK title.

ujustgotcaged

Is boon hinting at something!??

Caddy??

Cassie's daddy??? :/

063d4a4b825c13c7a57466bdbddd4cfa.jpg

"This is where you fall down"

Toy_Hero

IMO, Mortal Kombat will not end with MK X. If anything, this game is going to be a closing chapter in the series before opening the game out in a new direction. However, I do think MK 11 might be make or break depending on how it's revealed. I'm not saying it's going to flop but I don't think it will sell as well if there are drastic changes.

For one, MK X will have more new characters than any other game. Perhaps this is a way of paving the way for a new future. Secondly, I'm aware that being dead in Mortal Kombat does not mean you're dead for good, but I do think Sindel killing a lot of the roster in MK 9 might have been the beginning of building a new MK future. And by that some characters needed a conclusion. Also the fact that some characters in MK X are going to be aged sort of indicates it might be the last game for some characters i.e. Kano, Sonya, Johnny etc. Sub-zero and Scorpion will obviously continue on in the series, it wouldn't be MK without them.

The fact that some of these new characters are relations (whether that's daughter, cousin, protegee etc.) makes it look like they are carrying the torch for the future of MK but yet keeping in line with the past. Take Cassie for example, I think she may be the future of Sonya and Johnny. Yeah they'll be referenced in games but I can't see them being playable.

I'm actually more confused as to how MK X storyline will now run. As Mr Ice said, the storyline has changed and Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon aren't going to run. Perhaps that's why the new storymode is only spanning 25 years. In Mortal Kombat terms that seems like a very short time period, which probably will only deal with the events of MK 4. However, I'd be pretty pissed if we aren't going to see some ps2 characters because some of them did have some promise. I was really holding out for Li Mei (I thought she may be boot #4) but the fact the Deadly Alliance won't happen, there would be no need for her. Her people won't be enslaved by Shang/Quan.

Guyver Spawn

I think MK11 could bring back a lot of old fan favorites and the new favorite characters from MKX similar how MKD brought back a lot of old fan favorites who have not been in a MK game in over 5 years and the new characters that were well liked in MKDA. I can see Cassie becoming a new fan favorite and returning in MK11.

Mr. Ice

This is a very thorough and well-written analysis, Mr. Ice - thank you for this. I see where you're coming from in your assertion here, but I still have to disagree that this will be the last MK, even if it's the last modern/traditional MK as you put it. There are plenty of traces and hints that this could be the case (as you point out), but I think there's still too much life and potential left in the franchise to just end it with MKX.

I definitely agree that new characters don't seem to be as popular as older ones. It's because of this that I don't think they'd ever just give us a "from scratch" MK title.

Thank you. I just felt it needed to be said. I know it's not something MK fans want to hear, but I don't really care. People should be aware of the possibility this really might be it.

I agree that MK as a franchise/brand is well established, popular and known all around the world and it has a lot of potential to grow even further. On the other hand, though, we must realize that MK is not for everybody. It's actually for a somewhat limited group of people. NRS want to change that and that's why they made MK9 more accessible and they're trying to make the game even more accessible with MKX. We're getting more people now, which is great. Plus MK9 was the best selling MK of them all with over 3.000.000+ copies.

However, let's be realistic here. The reason MK9 sold so well is mainly due to nostalgia. MK9 = basically MK1/2/3 in HD. MK9 was fan service in all regards. Secondly it sold so well due to the hype and due to the fact people were craving for a proper MK game (after MKvsDC) for years. These two factors combined is all it took. Factor three, that MK9 had great gameplay, was just icing on the cake that sealed the deal so to speak.

All in all it was somewhat given that MK9 will do so well. NRS didn't have any other choice anyway. It was either a proper reboot or the end. Ironically, though, I think with MK9 they at the same time dug their grave and postponed the inevitable. And that's something I forgot to mention while writing that post.

MK9 was the best MK game commercially to date. Wouldn't you, as a developer, be nervous as phuck while working on the sequel? Personally, I wouldn't sleep. Because if MKX flops, and there is a small chance it will, it's the end for MK. At least for several years.

However, at the same time, even if it sells well, it's likely the end for MK (due to the reasons I stated before) as well.

There's really no way around this.

And one other thing I forgot to mention as well...

MKX, with its features, is the most robust and pumped MK to date. MKX is packing all the features we could possibly want. Next-gen graphics and everything that goes with it (textures, 1080p, 60fps, lighting, animations), 3 variations for each character, persistent and better online, for the first time we'll see characters age, new characters, descendants for the first time, DLC characters, new arenas, new story, old story conclusion, cinematic Story Mode, characters talking to each other before fighting, interactive arenas, improved X-Rays, Fatalities, Super-Meter...

If you look at it... Do you honestly think an eventual MK11 could top this? I really doubt it. The only thing MK11 would be able to do to avoid being a serious flop is including all of the features from MKX and including every character and stage from MK history (like Armageddon) and a Konquest Mode (which would be a HD premiere). Because seriously, what else is there left to include?

Not to mention the MK team is pretty old. Most of them, including Ed, are around 50. They can't make games forever. I can see Ed doing an adventure game that focuses on one or two characters and a cross-over, both of which are less demanding, but another sequel after MKX? Not really. Because by the time it comes to that, with an adventure game/cross-over released in the mean time, he'll be 55+. Not trying to insult Ed or say that 55 is old or anything. But it is different than making a sequel while in your 30s/40s.

So to get back to my previous post, with all of this and what I've said earlier, I really do think MKX is the last traditional MK game we're going to see. At least for the next 5-8 years. Or, more likely, ever.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
The next MK wont be for a while, but it will never die. It's a household name and the undisputed #1 Western fighting game. Besides, WB didn't buy the MK team just to kill off the series.

We're likely getting another MK adventure game after MKX, followed by Injustice 2. Then MK will make it's triumphant return back to fighting afterwards.

Mr. Ice

It might never die, just look at Hollywood's remakes of remakes, but without the original team it will die. MK without NRS/Ed isn't MK.

Yes, WB didn't buy Midway and MK to kill them off, true. However, MK aren't only games. People tend to forget/ignore that. Since MK9 we also got 2 seasons of a live-action web series (a mini-tv-show) and we were supposed to also get a live-action movie. WB got their cash from YouTube and from the DVD/BD release. MKX will be getting a comic book series.

We don't need another (main) game to continue the story.

NRS/WB can continue MK after MKX through a comic book, book, tv series, movie and even a spin-off game (adventure/rpg/cross-over/online).

These kind of things are manageable. Another main game though, especially when there won't be much left to tell, is a whole other level.

And yeah, since NRS is also Injustice... I'd forget about MK11 completely. Just an advice.

Lin Kuei Assassin

Thank you. I just felt it needed to be said. I know it's not something MK fans want to hear, but I don't really care. People should be aware of the possibility this really might be it.

I agree that MK as a franchise/brand is well established, popular and known all around the world and it has a lot of potential to grow even further. On the other hand, though, we must realize that MK is not for everybody. It's actually for a somewhat limited group of people. NRS want to change that and that's why they made MK9 more accessible and they're trying to make the game even more accessible with MKX. We're getting more people now, which is great. Plus MK9 was the best selling MK of them all with over 3.000.000+ copies.

However, let's be realistic here. The reason MK9 sold so well is mainly due to nostalgia. MK9 = basically MK1/2/3 in HD. MK9 was fan service in all regards. Secondly it sold so well due to the hype and due to the fact people were craving for a proper MK game (after MKvsDC) for years. These two factors combined is all it took. Factor three, that MK9 had great gameplay, was just icing on the cake that sealed the deal so to speak.

All in all it was somewhat given that MK9 will do so well. NRS didn't have any other choice anyway. It was either a proper reboot or the end. Ironically, though, I think with MK9 they at the same time dug their grave and postponed the inevitable. And that's something I forgot to mention while writing that post.

MK9 was the best MK game commercially to date. Wouldn't you, as a developer, be nervous as phuck while working on the sequel? Personally, I wouldn't sleep. Because if MKX flops, and there is a small chance it will, it's the end for MK. At least for several years.

However, at the same time, even if it sells well, it's likely the end for MK (due to the reasons I stated before) as well.

There's really no way around this.

And one other thing I forgot to mention as well...

MKX, with its features, is the most robust and pumped MK to date. MKX is packing all the features we could possibly want. Next-gen graphics and everything that goes with it (textures, 1080p, 60fps, lighting, animations), 3 variations for each character, persistent and better online, for the first time we'll see characters age, new characters, descendants for the first time, DLC characters, new arenas, new story, old story conclusion, cinematic Story Mode, characters talking to each other before fighting, interactive arenas, improved X-Rays, Fatalities, Super-Meter...

If you look at it... Do you honestly think an eventual MK11 could top this? I really doubt it. The only thing MK11 would be able to do to avoid being a serious flop is including all of the features from MKX and including every character and stage from MK history (like Armageddon) and a Konquest Mode (which would be a HD premiere). Because seriously, what else is there left to include?

Not to mention the MK team is pretty old. Most of them, including Ed, are around 50. They can't make games forever. I can see Ed doing an adventure game that focuses on one or two characters and a cross-over, both of which are less demanding, but another sequel after MKX? Not really. Because by the time it comes to that, with an adventure game/cross-over released in the mean time, he'll be 55+. Not trying to insult Ed or say that 55 is old or anything. But it is different than making a sequel while in your 30s/40s.

So to get back to my previous post, with all of this and what I've said earlier, I really do think MKX is the last traditional MK game we're going to see. At least for the next 5-8 years. Or, more likely, ever.

Again, a stellar analysis Mr. Ice. You bring up some great points about things potentially stalling out between MKX and a speculative MK11...only time (and sales) will tell with that.

The next MK wont be for a while, but it will never die. It's a household name and the undisputed #1 Western fighting game. Besides, WB didn't buy the MK team just to kill off the series.

We're likely getting another MK adventure game after MKX, followed by Injustice 2. Then MK will make it's triumphant return back to fighting afterwards.

I agree completely. MK may stall at times, but it will never die. Someone will always be doing something with the series (for better or worse).

Lord Greyjoy

It might never die, just look at Hollywood's remakes of remakes, but without the original team it will die. MK without NRS/Ed isn't MK.

Yes, WB didn't buy Midway and MK to kill them off, true. However, MK aren't only games. People tend to forget/ignore that. Since MK9 we also got 2 seasons of a live-action web series (a mini-tv-show) and we were supposed to also get a live-action movie. WB got their cash from YouTube and from the DVD/BD release. MKX will be getting a comic book series.

We don't need another (main) game to continue the story.

NRS/WB can continue MK after MKX through a comic book, book, tv series, movie and even a spin-off game (adventure/rpg/cross-over/online).

These kind of things are manageable. Another main game though, especially when there won't be much left to tell, is a whole other level.

And yeah, since NRS is also Injustice... I'd forget about MK11 completely. Just an advice.

Nonsense. As long as MK sells, there will be more MK. Even if it stops selling, they'll bring it back in time.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Fighting franchises never end because of story conclusions. It's always business that ends a fighter's legacy.

Armageddon was meant to be the final Mortal Kombat game because Midway was going under. Which explains why Armageddon's story had nothing to do with Deception's.

And the last time I checked, MK was doing great. So no, it isn't going anywhere. If they do make live action series, movies and comics, it will always be to promote the game.

Tarkatan Trash

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Halo 3 originally supposed to be the final Halo game back in the day?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Taj Gill

Adoption rate is an issue, especially in countries such as Brazil (in fact, there was some controversy over FIFA 14's release because of this, especially since Brazil, with a prohibitively low next-gen adoption rate, was the host country of the World Cup).

You mean there was controversy over the 2014 FIFA World Cup video game being released for the previous gen only, while FIFA 14 came out earlier and was for both gens?

Tarkatan Trash

You mean there was controversy over the 2014 FIFA World Cup video game being released for the previous gen only, while FIFA 14 came out earlier and was for both gens?
Yeah, the World Cup game.

I don't follow soccer, so obviously I was confused about which game it was, but nonetheless I read about the controversy involved with the previous gen exclusive release of one of those games (common sense tells you that the host country's market has to be taken into account when it comes to shit like the World Cup or the Olympics...)