NRS, thank you for the disabled fighters.

Demetrius

Thank you for the fighters who are disabled, like Kabal and the upcoming Kenshi.

I just find the fact that you guys have "crippled" kombatants who are fully able to kick the ever living shit out of the people who aren't incredibly awesome.

So major props to you guys for that.

Thank you for the fighters who are disabled, like Kabal and the upcoming Kenshi.

I just find the fact that you guys have "crippled" kombatants who are fully able to kick the ever living shit out of the people who aren't incredibly awesome.

So major props to you guys for that.

Same here, I was so hyped to use a blind character (Kenshi) in MKDA because I knew he'd be so underrated due to being blind. Its not common we get characters like that in fighters. I actually think Kenshi is a mix between Daredevil and Zatoichi; they're good at designing these kinds of characters.

Same here, I was so hyped to use a blind character (Kenshi) in MKDA because I knew he'd be so underrated due to being blind. Its not common we get characters like that in fighters. I actually think Kenshi is a mix between Daredevil and Zatoichi; they're good at designing these kinds of characters.

Underrated because he's blind? He's one of the more popular post-MK3 characters His blindness has nothing to do with the game on a functional level.

@ OP I wouldn't call Kabal being disabled. Other than his need for a respirator, he appears to be as functional as any normal human being.

Last edited:
Underrated because he's blind? He's one of the more popular post-MK3 characters His blindness has nothing to do with the game on a functional level.

@ OP I wouldn't call Kabal being disabled. Other than his need for a respirator, he appears to be as functional as any normal human being.

I meant when Kenshi first debuted in MKDA, how he was first percieved on that level, his popularity had gradual development in both MKDA and MKD.

I meant when Kenshi first debuted in MKDA, how he was first percieved on that level, his popularity had gradual development in both MKDA and MKD.

If there was criticism against him, it was because he was perceived as a knockoff of another character (Zatoichi) rather than blindness itself.

war3326_Cripple-Fight!!!.jpg

I would; he can't breath without a respirator, which, where I live at least, counts him as being "crippled".

Also, Not sure if I should count Jax in here; dudes missing his arms, but he kinda has big metal ones....

In all honesty, I don't think Ed Boone sat there and thought "how can I be more politically correct" and more like "how can I come up with an original and cool character?"

Seems I'm the only one who cringed at the use of the word "crippled"! I agree with Flagg though, I think it was more interesting character development rather than an attempt to add diversity.

In all honesty, I don't think Ed Boone sat there and thought "how can I be more politically correct" and more like "how can I come up with an original and cool character?"

Seems I'm the only one who cringed at the use of the word "crippled"! I agree with Flagg though, I think it was more interesting character development rather than an attempt to add diversity.

True, it more than likely was. But how many other fighting games have this element of diversity?

Scratch that, how many GAMES have this element of diversity?

I would; he can't breath without a respirator, which, where I live at least, counts him as being "crippled".

Also, Not sure if I should count Jax in here; dudes missing his arms, but he kinda has big metal ones....

That's still quite a quite a stretch. Disability is a social label for people who need more accommodations because their medical condition is debilitating enough to keep them from functioning in normal society. Kabal appears to able to get around on his own and doesn't need anybody to tinker with the respirator device for him.

Cybernetic enhancements that effectively replace or even exceed human performance is not something we should get into, not to mention they are a quite common in video games.

True, it more than likely was. But how many other fighting games have this element of diversity?

Scratch that, how many GAMES have this element of diversity?

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see how this would matter... other than a petty attempt at one-upping other games. Seriously, they are not trying raise awareness of these disabilities by any means. They are superficial representations of their said disabilities at best when there is little indication of any challenges they must go through.

However, for the sake of argument, I'll add a list of physically disabled characters (and their respective games) that I am aware of . Licensed characters like Professor X are not included. Mental disabilities are harder to define, so I'll leave them out for now.

1. Zato-1: Guilty Gear
2. Baiken: Guilty Gear
3. Barazock: Fighter's Impact
4. Voldo: Soul Edge
5. Xiao Long: Mace
6. Lara: Chrono Trigger
7. The End: Metal Gear Solid 3
8. Castile: Phantom Brave
9. Kizami: Shinobi (2002)
10. Demon Hunters: Warcraft 3
11. Bentley: Sly Cooper

Last edited:
You can add Oro from SFIII: 3rd Strike, only has one arm. Pretty unique character as well.

Oro is a borderline case. His missing arm is only a temporary state. He can unseal his other arm when he needs to, as indicated by one of this super moves. However, your post did remind me about Baiken from Guilty Gear.

agreed, NRS did well to do this. always liked Kabal, LOVE him in the new game and Kenshi was kinda indifferent for me but now I'm excited for him as well