Non-Humans in MKX vs. older games

goro15

Let me start off with saying, Baraka is my favourite character and I just love the non-human characters in general since the MK universe is all based on mythology and fantasy. Now MKll is my favourite despite the low numbers of non-humans playable.

With plenty of people seemingly disappointed about the focus on Special Forces and the amount of siblings of the earth realm warriors, i.e. humans, I wanted to go back and see actually how many non-human have been in the main games.

MK1 had only Raiden as playable + Goro as unplayable (Shang Tsung story is that he's human and was given the power to absorb souls).

MK2 had Raiden & Baraka as playable + Kintaro as unplayable. The others were just ninjas who look human, Mileena too so for me do not really fit non-human. Same goes for Shao Kahn, just seems like a big human with a skull mask.

MK3 had Sheeva and Sindel (kind of) + Motaro as unplayable.

Mk4 had Raiden, Shinnok, Quan Chi, Fujin, Reptile (first time really in non-human form) + Goro as unplayable.

MK DA had Raiden, Quan Chi, Reptile, Nitara, Drahmin + Moloch as unplayable.

MK Deception had Baraka, Raiden, Ermac (not a human looking ninja anymore), Liu Kang (kind of), Sindel, Hotaru, Havik + Onaga as unplayable.

I understand it's subjective, since you can say all non- earth realm are non-human or Raiden looking way too human, even though he is a god. However, what we can definitely say is that The Trilogy era actually had a lot of human (looking) characters as opposed to the 3D era. The most was Deception with 7 playable non-humans.

Now let's look at MKX: Raiden, Reptile, Ermac, Goro, Shinnok, Quan Chi, Kotal Kahn, Ferra, D'vorah & Mileena (finally looks devilish and fierce, before she just looked like way too human for me). That is 10 characters!! We still have potentially Liu Kang as fire god, Erron Black and the possible DLC .The boss also is probably non-human, Reiko as demon god maybe, so there's a lot to be happy about in spite of the many humans of earth realm / Special Forces.

Conclusion: I am a lot more happy about this game now that I realise this game actually has a lot more non-humans / non-human looking characters and the most of any MK game :D I also realize that the roster is actually quite good, it's just when I focused too much on Special Forces and thought in terms of Good, Neutral and Evil that I felt disappointed. Also the roster being leaked did not help, but I'm fine with it now!

Hope this helps people look at the roster differently. Thoughts?

MKLegion

I'm glad to see people who aren't whining about the special forces characters, personally I don't care what a character is, as long as they look cool and play cool, and the current roster is looking really good to me

Rezound

My thoughts are that I have never understood this debate. Who cares if there's a lot of characters that look/are human? As long as they contribute to the story, have a decent moveset, or have a nice background behind them, they can look like Goku and Majin Buu's love child and I wouldn't care.

Edit: Sorry for that really weird reference. Playing DBZ Xenoverse at the moment.

Cryo

What? I don't understand your logic. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are not humans, if you consider them human just because they look like humans then you should put Raiden in that bag too, he is a god but he looks human just like Scorpion is a wraith and looks human too.

goro15

What? I don't understand your logic. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are not humans, if you consider them human just because they look like humans then you should put Raiden in that bag too, he is a god but he looks human just like Scorpion is a wraith and looks human too.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero are human underneath and ninjas.

GloriousDK

I think I can respect that people want more "non-human" characters. I think maybe it's just more accurate to say that the roster looks a bit saturated in the whole Special Forces camp... especially since we're supposed to believe that there's factions to be a part of.

Take the Lin Kuei for example. Are those that play in that faction just going to play as Sub Zero? Where's Frost? Where's Smoke? Where's Cyrax and Sektor?

Then you have the Black Dragon. There's Kano and then...?

Oh and let's not forget White Lotus. There's Raiden, Kung Lao, Kung Jin, Liu Kang. Okay... that's fine.

Then we have I guess... outworld?

I don't know. Basically, the factions don't seem particularly balanced right now, especially for Black Dragon and Lin Kuei.

Cryo

The factions have nothing to do with their characters, you can be part of the Lin Kuei and fight as Kano.

Erron is Black Dragon too.

GOTCHA!

A character is made up of so many more attributes than just their "species" that I feel its silly to group the roster based on who is Human/Non-Human, imo.

Cryo

A character is made up of so many more attributes than just their "species" that I feel its silly to group the roster based on who is Human/Non-Human, imo.

Agree, take for example Kenshi.

He's human but he's a blind telekinetic swordsman with a magical sword... the human side of him got clouded by all the awesomeness he has going on.

GOTCHA!

Agree, take for example Kenshi.

He's human but he's a blind telekinetic swordsman with a magical sword... the human side of him got clouded by all the awesomeness he has going on.

Yeah, I basically look at it from the same point of view you do. I define a character by their aesthetics, personality, and playstyle rather than something ambiguous, or trivial like "Human/Non-Human". I can't really derive anything from something so broad, so I feel its nonsensical when someone implies, "Diversity is lacking in the roster because there is to many human chars".