Never any love for Shao Kahn

DeBane

He was snubbed last game and relegated to little more than a two-move spamming dumbot boss (...unless one took to modding the game; but even then he was effectively broken). In MKvDCU he was a hidden, half-baked character (no Fatality, IIRC). Now, in MKX, it seems the scantily clad, Outworld overlord is being shut in the closet... AGAIN.

The fact that Goro - Kahn's right hand/s man is indeed present (irrespective of any possible narrative inconsistencies), really drives home the message that Shao Kahn is THEE snubbed character (relative to stature and import in the mythology) of the Mortal Kombat franchise. The generic 'ninjas' receive guaranteed slots, game after game; but Kahn remains as elusive as an X-ray attack at Evo!

I understand that Kahn is a boss character and he has elicited some of 'less than amicable' emotions towards his oftentimes cheesy nature. But it is this very, smarmy, mocking nature that makes the character so endearing (for some). The sometimes adduced argument that he should remain a boss and therefore non playable and only included when the narrative permits... blah, blah, burp, fart... is a moot one given the likes of Goro's inclusion (as "DLC" no less) and the underlying fact that MK is a video game, not some historically factual account of events (derrr!).

So, who here wants a playable Kahn in MKX? Is there any chance of him making the cut... for once? Or will one of the most recognisable characters of the franchise and, indeed, video game bosses (of all time) remain MIA for the umpteenth time?

JmMzp2s.gif

Whaaaat? Shao Kahn is a boss character, the boss character actually... I love the guy but I rather have him as an iconic boss that nearly destroyed reality in Armageddon and was taken by the freaking combined might of Elder Gods and Raiden, instead of a regular joe on the roster.

I'm a huge fan of Shao Kahn (I quote him all the time) and I certainly don't want him playable in MKX. The entire plot of MK9 was about Shao Kahn, he looked great in that game and left the biggest mark in the MK universe, both previous and current timeline. His dialogue was freaking hilarious and he was portrayed to be strong as hell.

Now we are changing bosses for a game, it's understandable in such a long running franchise. I certainly don't want Shao Kahn back as a forced lesser version of himself that gets beat by Kotal or Johnny in the story mode.

I hope Kahn never shows his face in MK ever again. He's been done over and over and over again. Don't even try to tell me he's treated poorly. lol

Shao Kahn is bye bye. Kotal kahn has been more interesting in in a few comics in the past few months, more so than Shao Kahn ever was in 20+ yrs lol!

I don't see how Kahn got snubbed whatsoever. I'm glad he's not present in this game. He doesn't need to be THE only threat in the series. Give other bosses a chance. Shinnok, if he's gonna be a huge threat in this game, desperately needs this since his debut sucked horribly. (In my honest opinion)

While I love evil characters in general, I never cared for the end-boss characters at all. So I will be happy if Shao Kahn will be forever among the many souls of Ermac, sometimes making a cameo within the many behaviors of our not-so-red-anymore Ninja friend.

I don't see how Kahn got snubbed whatsoever. I'm glad he's not present in this game. He doesn't need to be THE only threat in the series. Give other bosses a chance. Shinnok, if he's gonna be a huge threat in this game, desperately needs this since his debut sucked horribly. (In my honest opinion)
I agree with this all the way.

Kahn did what he had to, everything since MK1 revolved around him and his servants, it's time we let go and move on.I believe even Shinnok should go after he reveals his potential in MKX.

He got an honorable death, now his soul is with Ermac, which can mean he could cameo as a voice in Ermac's head or something.Just rather not have him on the roster, for the reasons stated above by other posters.

He's badass, he's always been.Having him as a playable character makes him just another one.In Armageddon and Deception we had him playable and it wasn't very true to him.Shao Kahn is the most OP boss character in the series, and should stay like that.

Shao Kahn is the most OP boss character in the series, and should stay like that.
Amen!

I like the idea of certain boss characters being playable (Shinnok, who I'm thinking will be the sub-boss, seems like he quite well balanced as a playable character) but I don't want to see Shao Kahn get nerfed simply so he can be playable. He's an absolute brute of a melee fighter as well as a first-rate sorcerer ala Shang Tsung, Quan Chi and Shinnok. I want him to stay like this; I really enjoyed his portrayal in MK9 (which was an awesome game) and wouldn't want to see his role and power diminished just so he can be made playable.

I like Shao Kahn a lot, but I think it was really necessary for him to be out this time.

If that wasn't done, we couldn't take another route. He was a very strong symbol of the trilogy. His presence is significant enough to maintain a certain pattern.

People like 3D era or not, but everything started with taking Shao Kahn out of the scenario, and Liu Kang too.

MK has a variety of bosses, and they do know that, since Shao Kahn figured as a direct boss only in two games.

He is incredibly OP, but I think characters like Shinnok should be on their own way too.

But Shao Kahn is very unique. He will be forever a nightmare.

So, who here wants a playable Kahn in MKX? Is there any chance of him making the cut... for once? Or will one of the most recognisable characters of the franchise and, indeed, video game bosses (of all time) remain MIA for the umpteenth time?

The entire point of the game is "what happens when Shao Kahn dies?" And you want Shao Kahn to come back?

I can't tell if you're trolling, or just give zero shits about the story whatsoever. Regardless, Shao Kahn will stay far away for MKX, and I hope that he stays away for some games after that, too.

As I expected -- no love for Kahn. I guess a the entire Cage family tree and 20 robo ninjas is all the combatant ''diversity' the game needs... you guys are right.

Although, something tells me that if they add Mario, Sonic and Sackboy to the roster, you sheep moisten up and call their inclusion "epic!" / "awesome!"...

xaZRNAP.jpg

As I expected -- no love for Kahn. I guess a the entire Cage family tree and 20 robo ninjas is all the combatant ''diversity' the game needs... you guys are right.

Although, something tells me that if they add Mario, Sonic and Sackboy to the roster, you sheep moisten up and call their inclusion "epic!" / "awesome!"...

xaZRNAP.jpg

I spy, with my little eye, a fanboy.

Kahn was defeated and taken away by the Elder Gods. A portion of his soul rests in Ermac, so he's not gone for good.

xaZRNAP.jpg

Uhhh, I happen to like Shao Kahn a lot, so..... Baa.