Mortal Kombat Arcade Memories.

Aldo Moreno

This thread is about memories you had with the Mortal Kombat arcades.

So I was with one of my friends today playing MK9. We're talking about how we use to when we played UMK3 arcade. They would always depend and cheer on me to beat Shao Kahn and Motaro. We had a little plan. If I lost and ran out of quaters, someone would take my place while I ran to my mom for a dollar. When I came back, they would get excited.

And we played against each other, they would be afraid of my Liu Kang and I would call myself the kill. Everytime I would beat him and our friends I would always say, "I KICKED YOUR ASS NICKY!" I use to say that from little nicky. Ahhh good times. I miss my childhood:').

Also, there was another time where I use to hide behind my dad I lost against him in MK4.

Tell us yours:).

First arcade memory I had was vacationing in Wisconsin Dells in 1995. The hotel my family was staying at had a decent sized arcade in it. Within i you had all the classics: The Simpsons arcade game, Street Fighter II, and of course (at the time) Mortal Kombat II to recall the ones I know were there. I played down there until I had no more quarters to spend after begging my parents.

And my second and last great arcade moment involving MK was when my local arcade stop unveiled Mortal Kombat 4. There were good sized lines for that machine for the first couple of weeks, and everyone including myself was hyped up for this new game. I wish we had arcade reveals like that nowadays. That arcade place really needs it or its going under. Although I could just head north to Galloping Ghost, where Pat goes to. I've seen them have a great number of machines I'd like to try out.

I remember going to the Roller rink when i was like 7. I was so short and could barley reach the Buttons my cousin and i played UMK3 We Button smashed allot but still it was fun, I always Picked sub zero and Scorpion Doing the spear move on accident and Hearing "Get over here" scared the Sh!t out of me and Doing sub zeros Ice Shower made my cousin say "HOW YOU DO THAT?!!"

#GoodTimes

I don't have any arcade memories, wish i was born earlier and my country had arcades. Anyway my earliest memory of MK was MK4 i used to take sub zero and beat my bro i also did the fatality like when i was 10.

my cousin and i played UMK3 We Button smashed allot but still it was fun, I always Picked sub zero and Scorpion Doing the spear move on accident and Hearing "Get over here" scared the Sh!t out of me and Doing sub zeros Ice Shower made my cousin say "HOW YOU DO THAT?!!"

You just reminded me something. People use to freak out with I did Liu Kang's bicycle kick or Cyrax's net.

Oh yeah, took me forever to learn special moves. And fatalities? Boy, those were like ancient writings passed down through the generations. I was lucky to know just Scorpion's Toasty. Now, in the internet age, I can look any of them up. Kinda ruins the fun in learning them the hard way, but what can you do?

Where to start? I guess my very first arcade memory is also how I started with MK. There was a pool hall in town that had arcade machines, one was SFII and the other was MK1. My one friend and I would play while waiting our turn for pool and it didn't take long before we spent most of the night playing MK instead of pool. He was always Raiden, I was always Scorpion. I remember finding his fatality by accident (you just block and hit Up twice) and everyone around was like "OH SHIIIIIII......" and I was the King of the World for that night.

The pool hall didn't get MK2 when it came out, so we started going to a bowling alley nearby that had a ton of games. Not only did it have MK2 (and MK3/UMK3 when it came out), but also Virtua Fighter and Tekken as well. I would play the others if there was a line for MK2, but they didn't hold my attention for very long. I remember being on IRC back in 1994/5 and hanging out with all the people who would end up becoming known for their MK move lists and FAQs like ratman, IceMaster, and someone named McCarron. Wonder whatever happened to that guy : P

Hell, I remember my friend and I spending our entire math class making small index cards with MK moves on them so we would know how to do them when we got to the arcade that night. Consoles and online play are great, but nothing really is like actually driving out to an arcade and putting your quarter on the corner of the screen to call next, and then play someone elbow-to-elbow. People talked trash, but there was very little of the salty whining you see on XBL or PSN now. Mainly because you were facing the person you were mad at, and if you got too personal you might end up digesting your own teeth. There was more of a sense of respect among players it seemed. I could just be looking through rose colored glasses, but there was very little spamming when you would Vs someone, and if someone tried there was always someone at every arcade who would step in and school the spammer until they stopped playing. If you lost, there was just "good game" and you let the next person take their turn. If you won, it was pretty much the same, bragging wasn't cool either. Plus it was always a treat to see someone who was really good at battling the computer get to the end and fight Shao Kahn, you'd see stuff you never saw before, maybe he'd even fight a hidden character or two.

One of these days I want to make a road trip to Chicago to hit up that Galloping Ghost arcade, just to feel a little bit of that magic again. All the arcades around here (that I know of) are either gone or only have games like Dance Dance Revolution. I guess it's my equivalent to hearing my dad talk about listening to the radio and not really understanding since I grew up with TV and then internet, but it really was a fun time to grow up in and I truly do feel sad for the current generation who never had the chance to set foot in an arcade. It's the main reason a lot of us old farts were amped for MKAK. It's why I spent like 4 hours tonight beating MK2. Sure it was frustrating and there were times I wanted to rage quit, but something inside just wouldn't let me. For just a little bit tonight it was like I was 16 again and I was back at the FunFest in Harmarville throwing way too much money in MK2.

man i was there for all 4 MK's from the beginning. im 34 now. Everyone was hooked immediately at the arcade in my local mall. I would save my lunch money, recycle and other things to save money for the arcade. no one even touched street fighter, tekken or VF when Mk or its sequels came out in the arcade. we played Killer instinct while waiting for the sequels but MK was the more interesting fighter. the arcade was called Tilt arcade in so cal. Lui kangs dragon was the first MK2 fatality i saw and i was shocked as hell. it was more colorful, louder, had great bass and the screams were perfect. I was sad sonya didnt make the cut but Mileena and Kitana were amazing. I won a local tourney with Mileena from Mk2. I had some of the coolest childhood memories from that place, befriending fellow gamers, and just the happiness of it all. its not like today where people online are disrepectful, annoying and just vile. no one acted out in arcades, you'd get your butt kicked. i miss it. but i will always be grateful for MK in my life. If I ever were to get a gaming tattoo, it would be of Mortal kombat, tori amos or tomb raider. the big 3 in my life that have affected me or had a positive impact. thats pretty awesome.

Who says you ever have to give up your childhood? I'm 33 and I have a pic of me wearing a Raiden hat on a message board. Your childhood is only gone when you choose it to be.

You're right. When I get MK:AK, I'm gonna enojoy it as if I were a little kid.

I'm old.

My first arcade memory is begging my mom for a quarter to play the Space Invaders machine at the beach hut at the little beach by my grandmother's house in Hampton Bays, NY.

I also remember the very first time I ever saw Pac-Man. It was in the arcade at the condo development we used to vacation at in Panama City Beach, FL.

My MK story isn't that interesting because it was at an arcade I used to work at, a crappy little mini golf course and arcade. I remember visiting my friends there when I was home from school and them saying, "Oh man, Mortal Kombat II just came out! They have it at Putt-Putt!"

Putt-Putt was the cool kid arcade. It was a terrible golf course, but everybody went to the arcade because it was open really late, like past midnight on weekends, and the parking lot out back was really dark and you could go drink there without being caught. I immediately hauled a$$ down to Putt-Putt, and sure enough, they had MKII. I was blown away. The first fatality I saw was Mileena's sai slice fatality. This was revision 1.4, so there weren't even that many fatalities in yet.

It was so awesome. I was home visiting family for Thanksgiving, so I would see them during the day then after dinner I would drive to Putt-Putt and play MKII until 1am or whenever they closed, I don't really remember.

Sound lame? Maybe so, but that's life in Hoover, Alabama.

(Kinda copy and pasted from another site I posted this on but anyway...)

Well I was born 4 years after MK debuted but luckily for me my cousin loved MK and he gave me his super nintendo and all of his games with it that had the first three on it and I can remember my brother showing me scorpions TOASTY fatality so I stuck with scorpion as my character I remember loving Ed Boons COMEHERE!!!!! And I remember thinking the ninja masks on MK4 had ears on the top lol.And I always wanted action figures and I never found any until the Deception line.Man I still want the old figures though.I also only played MK on arcade twice at two different pizza places and the fatalities were disabled on the other one BOO!But still cool that I got to play the arcade and I played a MK4 cabinet in a greyhound once for 3 hours straight(it was so cool to me because at the time I only thought they had 3 games)and I went crazy when I found out about Deadly Alliance I had to play it.now I have lost my snes MK but I still have MK2 and 3 but I'm missing a cable for the SNES but I have the awesome three games on PSP and I have MK Deception,MK Armageddon,MKvsDC,and the legendary MK9 on the 360 and MK Trilogy,MK4 I'm trying to collect all of the games minus MK Special Forces I saw gameplay for that one and thought I shouldnt even bother.But yea Mortal Kombat is and always will be my favorite game.

I remember a very long time ago, my family and me were at this beach that I think was in Cape Cod or something. Near the beach area, there was this huge shed that was made of wood and it was old looking, we went inside and it was an arcade. There were several machines in there, but there was one game that caught my attention. I saw a Arcade cabinet and on the screen i saw Johnny Cage getting killed in the Pit 2 stage Fatality. It seemed so unexpected to me how I watched him fall off the bridge and the ground was scrolling upwards to him and ended with him hitting the ground, there was the bloody mess all over the floor and I loved it. It took me a while to actually get into the series, however. Almost half a decade ago, I played the games more and more and I became addicted to it. I read the whole story line and I was fascinated by all the characters and I became a huge fan of the series form there.

You know, my first MK arcade experience wasn't at an actual arcade or anything, the taco restaurant I used to go to (called La Azteca, which I still go to) had an arcade cabinet of MK1 and that's where I used to play it (it's out of order though, sadly :(). I remember always pressuring my mama to give me quarters to play the game before our food came to our table, and I remember how I'd always pick Raiden and constantly lose to Kano and Sonya. I remember how I could only do Liu Kang's low fireball move and how I STRUGGLED to try and find out how to do all those. Don't even get me started on fatalities lol. Speaking of those, Scorpion and Sonya's fatalities in that game were the first I ever saw, and I was pretty impressed, to say the least. I also remember how scared I used to get whenever I saw Goro in the background of Goro's bio, even though, oddly, nothing else about that game frightened me, not the Continue Screen, the fatalities or even the Game Over screen

But that wasn't my first overall MK memory, though. MK2 on the Sega Genesis was my very first MK experience, and that was when I was 5. First fatality I ever saw was the Dead Pool stage fatality; I remember asking my mama if the blood on the screen was real or not. MK2 is the only non-horror game to ever truly scare me. What used to frighten me the most about MK2 was the music, the announcer's voice and how the "FINISH HIM!" would always flash red and yellow, yet I was addicted to MK so I just bit the bullet and continued playing all the games. Sonic and MK were my first forays into the world of gaming, which is why I will always stay loyal to both of them until the end :cool:

You know, my first MK arcade experience wasn't at an actual arcade or anything, the taco restaurant I used to go to (called La Azteca, which I still go to) had an arcade cabinet of MK1 and that's where I used to play it (it's out of order though, sadly :(). I remember always pressuring my mama to give me quarters to play the game before our food came to our table, and I remember how I'd always pick Raiden and constantly lose to Kano and Sonya. I remember how I could only do Liu Kang's low fireball move and how I STRUGGLED to try and find out how to do all those. Don't even get me started on fatalities lol. Speaking of those, Scorpion and Sonya's fatalities in that game were the first I ever saw, and I was pretty impressed, to say the least. I also remember how scared I used to get whenever I saw Goro in the background of Goro's bio, even though, oddly, nothing else about that game frightened me, not the Continue Screen, the fatalities or even the Game Over screen

But that wasn't my first overall MK memory, though. MK2 on the Sega Genesis was my very first MK experience, and that was when I was 5. First fatality I ever saw was the Dead Pool stage fatality; I remember asking my mama if the blood on the screen was real or not. MK2 is the only non-horror game to ever truly scare me. What used to frighten me the most about MK2 was the music, the announcer's voice and how the "FINISH HIM!" would always flash red and yellow, yet I was addicted to MK so I just bit the bullet and continued playing all the games. Sonic and MK were my first forays into the world of gaming, which is why I will always stay loyal to both of them until the end :cool:

Liu Kang had no low fireball in MK1 you troll

;)

My favorite arcade memory was when MK4 came out. I was playing it with my brother in the arcade when I button mashed after I beat my bro. I was Johnny Cage and my brother was Scorpion. I finally beat him after many battles, and then i got the Fan Stage Fatality. Right after that, my mom called my brother and he missed the fatality.

He still never believes me. :cry:

I had alot of awesome epic moments im MK games, but I'll try it in order. When I first found Reptile MK1, it was awesome for me to find him, but alot of fricken practice. My dad showed me MK2 and way cooler. I played as my favorite ninja Scorpion. and I finally beat kintaro to shao kahn, and p.s I thought kintaro was an alternate goro.
in MK3-MKT was the other best moments, I also experienced alot of backgrounnd fatalities beating my dad at the game and playing chameleon pissed him off it was funny to see him get beat, then I played MK4-MKG I played sub-zero's alternate costumes. then MKDA-MKD I thought Mokap was halarious to play as. And I used one of those discs to play as the old characters in MKD like on youtube. Then MKA was cool to create your own fighter. Then MK.vs.DC was ok, but there should have been DLC costumes for it too. then MK9 came out and download all of the DLC'S for the game and it was fun to experience babalities again, the funniest moment I saw again came back to the game. And lets not forget MKM sub-zero, best origin mini game I played. Those are are my best part of my memories of my MK gaming origin. And im still 15 and I will always remember MK and can't wait for MKV