Mortal Kombat 1 General Discussion Media Thread

Looks like there will be one on Thursday.

The minute they go into shit like belt battles and Birthday shout-outs I'm outta there.
Thankfully they usually save that shit for the end.

Belt battles are fucking BRUTAL. "Well I hope you guys enjoyed the Reptile and Ermac Kombat Kast today! We're gonna finish off with a belt battle now! Yes thats right a full length set of matches! And since Derreck and I are both Kano mains, who was revealed 7 months ago, thats who we will be using. Enjoy the show"

You know.... they confirmed 2 characters for Kringe Kast, who we already know about.... but uhh.... where are the game modes? Surely if you have something mind blowing, like the GROUNDBREAKING Kameos, you'd be itching to reveal it for the hype?....

Once again, game comes out in 2 months. What kind of marketing is this....

The Kombat cast is stupid and a waste of time at this point imo. It be better to just stitch a trailer together showing the remaining roster and game modes in rapid succession. There are plenty NRS ''influencers'' who will be more than happy to go over every frame and do the work for them. No one wants to watch Tyler and Derreck stumblingly cringe through the video while 16 bit just looks bored/annoyed. Cut the useless chatter and just show the game. This whole marketing campaign comes across half ass and last minute.

They are clearly hiding something. Like others have pointed out game comes out in two months, where the hell is the hype??? To be honest, the game looks rushed. This is WB we are talking about, all they care about is making a profit they dont care if the game is polished or not. If this game doesnt do the numbers then WB is finished.

They are clearly hiding something. Like others have pointed out game comes out in two months, where the hell is the hype??? To be honest, the game looks rushed. This is WB we are talking about, all they care about is making a profit they dont care if the game is polished or not. If this game doesnt do the numbers then WB is finished.
I doubt one game would finish WB, but its failure would still sting. Especially after the colossal failure that "The Flash" was. Holy shit, have they been invested in that succeeding.
Hmmm... maybe that's why such early pre-orders? Cause even in today's greedy ass AAA industry, I can not remember a single game, that would show just a cinematic trailer and say "PRE-ORDER NOW" immediately. Even EA didn't do that with Battlefield 2042.

Something is REALLY fishy going on. Also I am starting to think that the game has no Krypt, not because they have something "bigger and better", but because they didn't have time to make it.

I doubt one game would finish WB, but its failure would still sting. Especially after the colossal failure that "The Flash" was. Holy shit, have they been invested in that succeeding.
Hmmm... maybe that's why such early pre-orders? Cause even in today's greedy ass AAA industry, I can not remember a single game, that would show just a cinematic trailer and say "PRE-ORDER NOW" immediately. Even EA didn't do that with Battlefield 2042.

Something is REALLY fishy going on. Also I am starting to think that the game has no Krypt, not because they have something "bigger and better", but because they didn't have time to make it.
Preorders before gameplay Isn't nothing new in the AAA industry. Activision has done this before with COD. Pre orders where already up yet no gameplay was shown. Funnily enough there would already be special 200 dallor editions listed on their website. I get some people will say ''well that's COD people will buy it anyway so they can get away with it.'' and there lies the problem. Thanks to retail outlets like gamestop. Preorder culture is still a thing to casuals even though we're mostly in a all online distribution space nowadays. WB is just taking advantage of that culture. People's will power is dogshit and the AAA industry know it. At the end of the day we are our own worst enemy when it comes to these things. Again....this is nothing new.

Last edited:
Preorders before gameplay Isn't nothing new in the AAA industry. Activision has done this before with COD. Pre orders where already up yet no gameplay was shown. Funnily enough there would already be special 200 dallor editions listed on their website. I get some people will say ''well that's COD people will buy it anyway so they can get away with it.'' and there lies the problem. Thanks to retail outlets like gamestop. Preorder culture is still a thing to casuals even though we're mostly in a all online distribution space nowadays. WB is just taking advantage of that culture. People's will power is dogshit and the AAA industry know it. At the end of the day we are our own worst enemy when it comes to these things. Again....this is nothing new.
Ah ok. I don't follow COD, so I didn't know. Thanks for the info.

Belt battles are fucking BRUTAL. "Well I hope you guys enjoyed the Reptile and Ermac Kombat Kast today! We're gonna finish off with a belt battle now! Yes thats right a full length set of matches! And since Derreck and I are both Kano mains, who was revealed 7 months ago, thats who we will be using. Enjoy the show"
Best case scenario is that what Ed was referring to in his tweet about "We got another great game-play trailer koming soon with more MAIN & KAMEO fighter reveals" is that instead of the belt battle this week they go "before we end the stream, here's a gameplay video for a couple new kameos and playable characters" and they actually fucking give us like another 4 or 5 characters revealed with a gameplay trailer.
Again, I'm not holding my breath for that, given their dog-shit marketing thus far.
At this point, just reveal the shit that people can expect to have.
This is why I stopped pre-ordering shit a long time ago.
I'm not pre-paying for shit or rewarding devs for giving out scraps and having so little information on the game coming out.

The irony is is that I still have the preordered copy of MK11 with the Shao Kahn DLS factory sealed and still sealed in the Amazon package lol. Wonder if down the road it might be worth something on Ebay.

Unfortunately, if that leaked thethiny roster list turns out to be true. It's over. Hate wont stop this game from making a billion.

They could add all of the classical and 3D Era characters and make it into Armageddon 2.0, but if the core of the game won't have much to offer, then that's it.

They could add all of the classical and 3D Era characters and make it into Armageddon 2.0, but if the core of the game won't have much to offer, then that's it.
Armageddon was a pile of shit even compared to MK11 lmao. I doubt they stupe that low even if it is NRS. People just want to play their favorite character and have fun. Something MK11 failed to deliver on. If the game is a slog to play and somehow worse than MK11 than I could see it. Their not going to launch the game like Capcom did with SF5 lol. Funnily enough all my friends who play street fighter 6 don't even touch the open world map. Most people that play street fighter 6 are into the more competitive side of the game. The single player content is nice but thats not why people buy street fighter IMO. No matter how hard the Capcom shills try to push it as such.
I don't think NRS are going to shit everyone out of single player content. All they need to do is make their game less of a grind to unlock stuff. Make the rewards worth playing for. The story is beyond silly so I stopped caring about that stuff a long time ago. If they did add a Konquest mode that would be cool but that Isn't a make or break it situation for me.
I rather have a well made game with a few modes that allows me to be creative and have fun. Over a game stuffed to the brim with poorly thought out modes just for the sake of modes. I think Armageddon is a perfect example of what not to do lol. We don't need fighting games following Ubisofts formula ether.

Last edited:
Armageddon was a pile of shit even compared to MK11 lmao. I doubt they stupe that low even if it is NRS. People just want to play their favorite character and have fun. Something MK11 failed to deliver on. If the game is a slog to play and somehow worse than MK11 than I could see it. Their not going to launch the game like Capcom did with SF5 lol. Funnily enough all my friends who play street fighter 6 don't even touch the open world map. Most people that play street fighter 6 are into the more competitive side of the game. The single player content is nice but thats not why people buy street fighter IMO. No matter how hard the Capcom shills try to push it as such.
I don't think NRS are going to shit everyone out of single player content. All they need to do is make their game less of a grind to unlock stuff. Make the rewards worth playing for. The story is beyond silly so I stopped caring about that stuff a long time ago. If they did add a Konquest mode that would be cool but that Isn't a make or break it situation for me.
I rather have a well made game with a few modes that allows me to be creative and have fun. Over a game stuffed to the brim with poorly thought out modes just for the sake of modes. I think Armageddon is a perfect example of what not to do lol. We don't need fighting games following Ubisofts formula ether.
If that's all it took for people, then people wouldn't have bitched about MK11's lack of content. Regardless how much shills tried to promote Towers of Time as "content".
People want to have fun in general. Though when it comes to what people want SPECIFICALLY. There is a golden rule, that has existed since the dawn of trading.

"Generally people have no idea what they want"

Armageddon wasn't the best example of MK, but it was still FUN. Motor Kombat, insane roster with characters using duplicate moves, custom character creation and Konquest mode. It was silly, it was messy and it went completely bonkers, but even at its worst, it was still better, than MK11. MK11 is this sanitized version of MK. Does it work on technical aspect? Sure. Is it fun? Ahahaha no. Cause it doesn't go crazy, it doesn't experiment, it has nothing.

Also... I never understand this statement "all the people I know/all my friends"... am I supposed to use that as a standard of some sort? How many? 2-3? 10? 15? Dunbar's number claims that cognitively you can only maintain between 100-250 stable social relationships anyway. Most of the people never get past 50. So I am confused what that statement is supposed to represent.
Ironically, 15 friends of mine, who play SF6 are loving custom character system. Love custom fighting. Love good amount of content to pick. Other love the game for modding support. Others like it for competitive. But my friends don't speak for what people are interested in generally. What does speak is statistics. It has been a month since the launch and the game is maintaining 30k+ player base. Competitive players don't make up 30k. They are around 5-10k on a good day. CAPCOM succeeded with their single player content. Veteran SF players got their competitive play. And newcomers with casual players got to mess around with custom character creator/mods and ability to have fights, without having to deal with hardcore fanatics. Win win.
Both worlds got what they wanted. That was a smart tactic and CAPCOM got rewarded for it.

As for MK1.
We know it won't have Kustomization.
No Krypt.
No Konquest.

So far we were only told, that they have something "bigger and better", than Krypt and Konquest. Which still has to be shown.
And we still don't know what Dragon Krystals are for.

"Their not going to launch the game like Capcom did with SF5 lol:"

Oh boy. You feeling bold, jinxing it like that. If rumors are true and everything was changed last minute. Then yeah. It is very likely that MK might get its own "SF5 launch".

We shall see on Thursday though. If they will just reveal few characters and that's it, then it will just support the claim, that game doesn't have much to offer.

The competitive scene is what made street fighter what it is. Without that scene there be no Street fighter 6. Wether it's big numbers or not. It's usually those people who speak the loudest even after the honey moon faze is over. I'm not here just to hate on SF or MK when it comes to the content they offer as long as it's something worth investing to me personally. I couldn't care less about what statistics say. Everyone knows casuals are a fickle bunch anyway and are definitely no metric to depend on. 30k can become 1k by the time MK1 comes out for all we know.

Last edited:
Hate wont stop this game from making a billion.
Gazillion!

Also:

iffeqkp8vo9b1.jpg

And my FAVORITE OF ALL TIME:
A2E0E3F5EAA01D9C8D18FCE0DED130399928E007

The competitive scene is what made street fighter what it is. Without that scene there be no Street fighter 6. Wether it's big numbers or not. It's usually those people who speak the loudest even after the honey moon faze is over. I'm not here just to hate on SF or MK when it comes to the content they offer as long as it's something worth investing to me personally. I could care less about what statistics say. Everyone knows casuals are a fickle bunch anyway and are definitely no metric to depend on. 30k can become 1k by the time MK1 comes out for all we know.

It is called growth, expansion and change. Street fighter became popular, because of its competitive gameplay. True.
That thing became its foundations. The bed rock. So as long as you respect that, you're good and have a stable ground. But as time passes on, new iterations come and you have to add to that. Things get bigger and more sophisticated.
If what you add, adds to entire experience, creates new options and allows different ways to enjoy the same world, then more people will join in. As long as those changes do not mess with the foundations, the game will flourish and grow.

Statistics are one of the core pillars of information that tell how the game will operate. If one invests time in learning about them, then one will know that something of colossal failure would have to happen for your scenario to even have a chance to occur.
If you add the knowledge of basic human psychology and how gamers operate, you can tell which games will succeed and which ones will fail, before they even launch. One of the reasons why corporates fail to create new franchises and are just rebooting everything. They have analytical minds and have psychologists to design addicting mechanics, but they have no one, to tell them how gamers operate as they don't see that as something important, leading to... games dying.

SF6 will have a very healthy life cycle, due the options within the game and vast modding support. Any good game, that allows modding, guarantees an incredibly long support from community. The honeymoon phase that you mentioned is around 2-3 weeks. That's how long it takes for majority of people to beat story mode and general single player content. After a month player base gets cuts in half. After 2 months, you will be seeing long term population numbers. Usually after 2 months player base gets cut additional 20%. The slow drop off stage. SF6 currently has 35k+ as the average. Half of the 70k, that was the peak. Judging by its theme and options the game provides. We will be seeing 15k-20k long term population in the end. Not only you will have dedicated competitive players playing and dedicated modders creating new content, but there will be dedicated player base for character customization battles and designing. Which will feed other 2 groups of players.
If all MK1 has to offer is another case of towers and just pure fighting. Their long term numbers will be 3-5k at best. Maybe even less, as I am talking just PC here. No modding support, no proper official support and potentially overmonetized game? Yeah, I can see the game selling well due brand recognition, but unless MK1 blows everyone's minds with some really interesting and expansive content, they will be looking at just usual MK11 numbers for long term. Very likely even less, as like you said. Casuals are a fickle bunch. Comparison between two games will happen. That is inevitable and many people will judge the game on just that alone.

I was always curious why every fighting game seems to have in depth mod support, except NRS games. Is there a reason for this? Are the games hard to mod for or does nobody care. I'm talking about Aesthetic mods btw, not things like MK9 TE. Like the MOST I've seen are just color changing mods, and they're almost always complete dogshit. Like Spongebob colored Goro in MK9.

Edit: I just looked up MK11 mods

lDlEQpr.png

Its still the same dogshit color mods lmaoooooo