Mort Kornerbat

DeBane

I appreciate every fighting game has its own BnS's, flowchart and patterns of play. But MKX has to be one the most corner centric fighting games I've seen since playing around with Mugen!

Watching the various tournaments filter through in the past weeks has revealed the aforementioned claim to be gospel fact: Get stuck in the corner in MKX and you might as well put the controller down -- YOU'RE TOAST...Y!

Even at low level play, anyone who can slap together a facile combo - hardly rocket science in a game as jab-juggle-happy and lenient in its command inputs as MKX and whose damage scaling and meter gain (for getting pummelled!) heavily promotes smaller combos - is all but guaranteed victory if they manage to push their opponent to the edge of the screen. And with the aid of the game's many 'dash' -type attacks, thus is not difficult to accomplish. I can now see why the game has so many telepotation attacks -- it would be a literal 'Tekken with gore' fighter without them (and still kinda still is).

I don't know whether this was a conscious design decision on NRS's part or simply an offshoot of 'modernising' the gameplay mechanics... but it really doesn't make for a entertaining viewing experience when one can more or less predict what's going to happen based on respective player positioning. Coupled with the guessing game that many characters also exploit, using their high/low mix-ups, it all conspires to promote this 'Mort Kornerbat' style of play. I can already see Evolution becoming a farce of the SonciFoxes and co. 'corner scumming' their opponents ad nauseum and winning irrespective of what life lead they might have given away. Comebacks are great. But not if they feel artificial and utterly predictable.

You can even discern peoples' displeasure with the overall flow of the game through tournament commentators' commentary. Often littered with exclamation and exasperation when the issues I've cited crop up - which is often - followed by the distinctive tones of resignation in their voices when the sense of inevitability overwhelms them as a player, again, gets pushed into a corner; round after round, match after match. This does not bode well for the game or franchise in its role as an enjoyable form of entertainment, much less its efforts to be recognised as a serious, competitive fighting game.

Sidebar:
Players seem to be disconnecting / re-starting matches before the finishing moves, even Brutalities, can be executed. Sometimes ending a match while they still have a good portion of health left. Is this 'rage quitting' tournament sanctioned behaviour for MKX? Or is this just another offshoot of players' frustration -- conceding a bout before it's over, due to the predictability of the outcome issuing from the problems I've raised? It's kind of pointless playing a Mortal Kombat game if one is not going to avail the series' signature finishing attacks; even the in-combo Brutalities, which were largely implemented to circumvent the very 'premature quitting' habits seemingly evident here... To say nothing of the near pointless nature of X-ray attacks! But that's for another topic...

What say you?

Sounds like someone got bodied in the corner and decided to go make a blog on the internet to rant about it.

Learn to wake up, brah. I get out of the corner even against my friend's Grandmaster Sub-Zero.

Just spend bar to get out? You're back in neutral, and if you get back into the corner it's your fault.

You must hate yourself if you spend so much time in a forum dedicated to a game you clearly hate, let alone playing that game. Like seriously, go do something else.

The issues do not concern me personally -- I do not play in the atrocious online environment and I only play for casual fun (nor do I play scrub characters that exploit corners and the high / low lottery). How else can a casual fighting game be played? (...That was a rhetorical question, SSB kiddies! :roll:) But nice failed effort at an ad hominem in a laughably obvious attempt to derail the thread and distract from the myriad shortcomings of this sub par fighting game.
94x4lbz.gif

My references - as I clearly delineated in the second paragraph of my original post - are the tournaments that have been conducted since the game's release -- today's 'Yomi' tourney being the latest example (won by SonicFox, again... surprise, surprise). Watching pros is really the only way to assess what's broke and what's not, because they automatically gravitate to the most effective exploits and highest tier characters... And MKX has more broke than a U.S. economy would have if it ever had to repay the nation's debt! :patriot:

We get it, you're still salty & upset about the exclusion of Shao Kahn. If you despise this 'sub-par' fighting game as much as you say you do, you should probably spend your time doing something other than ranting & complaining about it. Seems only logical, doesn't it?

If you're going to make a thread to complain about how you lost, then you deserved to lose. Learn how to play better or don't play at all! The L1 and R1 buttons are there for a reason.

This thread is spam. Winners don't make spam threads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You guys just discredit debane because you don't like him. He brings up legitimate points. All of my mains. Quan Chi, Jacqui and Reptile. With all of them my ultimate goal is to get them to the corner and keep them there. And it works with astounding results. Its hilarious watching someone deal with Summoner Chi's corner game. It isn't impossible of course. Known Hero had the best answer with delayed wakeup.

I'm not sure how to exactly help you, so I'm just gonna say,
heads up champ
youll do good at that ball game. hope it all works out. rootin for ya

You guys just discredit debane because you don't like him. He brings up legitimate points. All of my mains. Quan Chi, Jacqui and Reptile. With all of them my ultimate goal is to get them to the corner and keep them there. And it works with astounding results. Its hilarious watching someone deal with Summoner Chi's corner game. It isn't impossible of course. Known Hero had the best answer with delayed wakeup.

surprisingly, this was one of the few threads that he has made that I agree with. The corner game is pretty damn deadly in MKX, especially if you have no meter you're basically f*****. If you break, you have no stamina, and if you jump, there's a decent chance you'll eat a d2. I use Erron Black and his corner game is really good, people get so salty when they're stuck in the corner. End every combo with caltrops, go into a 50/50 or throw, and those caltrops do sooo much dot.

Although, when i'm the one stuck in the corner, I get salty as hell too lol

It's not so much about not liking him. More that he goes through great effort to sound incredibly derogatory and presumptious. He truly does alot to make sure people really don't like him, and thus makes it easier to just wave him off.

If he wants to be heard and have his opinion and points to be respected, then he should start showing respect to others as well. You know, treat people the way you want to be treated. Respect is a two-way street.

Last edited:
From my limited understanding, the corner is a disadvantageous position on the receiving end in just about any fighting game.

The question is, what is it about MKX that makes the corner even more deadly? Is the fact that the combo system makes it easier to carry the opponent across the screen or is the lack of defensive options to deal with being cornered?

He wasn't disrespectful in his OP. Yet people insult him, doubt his skill and disregard every point he makes.