MKX Kompetitive player discussion

First to 5? Best of 9?

People do sets like that to make it like a tournament setting. I know everyone doesn't want to be a tournament player, but for those who do. Sets have rules like
Winner must stay same character.

Or in mk/injustice case. Loser might also get to pick stage.

Some people can out perform in a tournament setting, than in a friendly setting.

This happens to me sometimes, I'm will to try harder in a set than just playing friendlies because sets are seen as serious business.

Don't see why people can't just play multiple sets though

Fair enough, but I always learn more from playing a competitive endless set then a quick FT5. Every match I play, I try my best to win. Whether it's a FT5 or endless, I'm always on point simply because that's the only way I know how to play.

I understand the simulated tournament experience but I still hate playing FT5. I don't find enjoyment in that. Honestly, I feel that FT5 is best suited for offline play, not against randoms online. All of the people on my friend list enjoy playing endless. That's how I like it.

By MK9 standards I was probably a "scrub," and even though I'll likely outright suck when MKX drops, I do want to learn and better myself in MKX.
MKX has many more match-up options, and while I'll probably pick up a few characters until I find my main, once I find a main (Sub-Zero or not) I plan to learn all 3 variations of the 1 character and master that 1 character.
I want to be the best that I can be with that 1 character and know that character inside and out vs different match-ups, so that I better know what I'm facing against when going against "Mileena A VS my ____________ B," for example.

I may get some headphones for MKX, so if someone wants to help and be my Bo Rai Cho, I'd gladly take up the offer. ;)

Headset makes it so easy for me to teach.

I'll teach you how to fish commander, rather than feed you a fish.

I'll feed you a fish once in a while when you're stuck.

But hit me up :)

Whats so funny...?

2czzh8n.gif

Headset makes it so easy for me to teach.

I'll teach you how to fish commander, rather than feed you a fish.

I'll feed you a fish once in a while when you're stuck.

But hit me up :)

Sounds good. :)
Teaching to fish is what I was hoping for.
I've gotten the hang (I think) of footsies and spacing, since Tyler mentioned it on the last stream, so I hope to get better with it and other things such as "Negative Egde" and other terms that I may not be as good at grasping now.
Is Critical-Cookie your PS4 name?

Let me know and I'll send a friend request later.
Look out for Araknyd03.

This thread is awesome. Good sh#t ujustgotcaged. I'm definitely going to be spending most of my TRMK time in here.

So, what are everyone's strength and weaknesses?

Strength: I honestly feel like my ability to make reads is the best part of my game. I'm able to predict what a person will do based on what character they're using, their distance and the health meter situation. My match up knowledge is also vast but I guess that goes hand in hand with making reads.

Weakness: my defense can be a little shaky. I've made improvements but it still needs work. Also, I like to play fast but when I do I get predictable. Once a player learns my pattern I'm in trouble.

Sounds good. :)
Teaching to fish is what I was hoping for.
I've gotten the hang (I think) of footsies and spacing, since Tyler mentioned it on the last stream, so I hope to get better with it and other things such as "Negative Egde" and other terms that I may not be as good at grasping now.
Is Critical-Cookie your PS4 name?

Let me know and I'll send a friend request later.
Look out for Araknyd03.

Yes that's my ps4 name.

This thread is awesome. Good sh#t ujustgotcaged. I'm definitely going to be spending most of my TRMK time in here.

So, what are everyone's strength and weaknesses?

Strength: I honestly feel like my ability to make reads is the best part of my game. I'm able to predict what a person will do based on what character they're using, their distance and the health meter situation. My match up knowledge is also vast but I guess that goes hand in hand with making reads.

Weakness: my defense can be a little shaky. I've made improvements but it still needs work. Also, I like to play fast but when I do I get predictable. Once a player learns my pattern I'm in trouble.

Thanks man ..my biggest strength is how I train myself .i take pride in the grind and learning from losses.

My weakness will be not watching tournaments ..I just like to learn by myself.it hurts sometimes but in the end I THINK it's better because when you train yourself and you're not always in YouTube looking for tips you develop your own style and it makes you harder to read .

"Hereeeee's JOHNNY!!!!"

[MENTION=16796]ujustgotcaged[/MENTION]

It's hard to emulate someone's style because we each have our own philosophies, reflexes,tendencies, etc. The things you learn from other players/guides are mostly set ups. For example, if someone discovers that Cassie has a OTG(off the ground) set up in the corner, it's only right that a Cassie player would add that to their game. You wouldn't be taking their style, it'll just be another weapon added to your arsenal.

Yes that's my ps4 name.

Awesome. :-D

[MENTION=16796]ujustgotcaged[/MENTION]

It's hard to emulate someone's style because we each have our own philosophies, reflexes,tendencies, etc. The things you learn from other players/guides are mostly set ups. For example, if someone discovers that Cassie has a OTG(off the ground) set up in the corner, it's only right that a Cassie player would add that to their game. You wouldn't be taking their style, it'll just be another weapon added to your arsenal.

That's part of the problem that I had with MK9 human Sub-Zero.
Once they nerfed the Ground Ice, after the patch, I had 1 less move in my arsenal to use in combos.

People like you justgotcaged, are the type of people to find weird use-able tech. But ignoring other players findings will hinder you. People formulate ways to remain safe or cover the most options. Your style may be unique and can occasionally trick someone. The end result should be finding options that improve your chances of winning, sometimes that means borrowing from others.

if your using sector and still getting beaten then i dont see that as"Extremely strong"

in fact quite the opposite considering hes OP anyway and just 1 small combo takes off way too much damage than it should.

Hi guys,

I wanted to make a thread dedicated to the competitive player.

Are some of you guys actually jumping online in the first week???I probably won't

What are some of your training strategies??

Do you plan on learning the in and outs with every variation of the characters you use??good luck with that if it's more than 2 lol.

How much time do you think you will be putting in on the first couple of days??

Do you think you will be better at this mk than the last???I had to learn how to take a loss and learn from it.

Who looks like they may be overpowered?? Lmao who's getting nerfed first??I think it will be mileena who I won't be maining this time around .

These are the type of things I want to discuss with you guys .lets keep it friendly..or Atleast try .

One of the best tips I can give you all is don't jump online cold .I will be completing the arcade tower on the hardest difficulty before I go online everyday.

My other tip is..LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR CHARACTER BY YOURSELF.Scorpion became very predictable because everyone tried the same setups ..YOUTUBE CAN hurt you. Combos are good but you need mixups.

"Hereeeee's JOHNNY!!!!"

1) Yes I will be online Day 1 because I vowed to massacre my friend who claims he is better than me at fighting games(he's actually pretty garbage:fawkdance::fawkdance:)
2)Play constantly on the hardest difficulties with the rounds maxed.I beat Mk9 and Injustice everyday, Ive learned the computer is a psycho on Super hard and reads your button presses(its annoying but its effective)
3) Besides maining Liu and Johnny , I will definitely play as everyone else (everyone impressed me so far)
4) I will play this game at least 18 hours a day when I dont have class
5) This game will win Best Fighting game 2015 its presentation is so well done plus the added speed , character moves,and variations has me sold.( the animations in this game are gorgeous)
6) Kung Lao , Scorpion ninjitsu, and Raiden displacer are pretty damn fast. Reptiles variation with the cloud damage should be reduced

if your using sector and still getting beaten then i dont see that as"Extremely strong"

in fact quite the opposite considering hes OP anyway and just 1 small combo takes off way too much damage than it should.

Not sure if serious.

[MENTION=5028]Commander[/MENTION]

Yeah, they nerfed sub too hard.

Mortal-Kombat-Tier-List-Weedoshinew.jpg

That doesn't look very OP to me.

Some points:

1) YEAH! KABAL IS BEAST!
2) I never realized Krueger was that high...
3) Ah man, Baraka and Stryker are both really low on that list :/

1.) Yep...
2.) Thank M2Dave for that. Look up his freddy on youtube if you're curious
3.) Their normals suck, and they have crappy special attacks. Sucks cuz with a few changes they could've been extremely interesting characters.

I have another question for you guys:

Do you all really think that we will get another MK in 4 years??I PERSONALLY hope that we don't..this game is built to last .. I would say maybe 7 years this time..look at all of the characters and variations lol no way will we get another mk so soon after this..

When did you all stop playing mk9???I played that game everyday for at least 2 and a half years and then i slowed down.

"Hereeeee's JOHNNY!!!!"