MK9 idea: Ko-op Tag Team

VictorMefer

Do you guys think it'd be nice to have a ko-op tag team mode? Two players fighting with the same team, each one picks a character, the active player would decide when to switch, do tag assist, tag attack and stuff, but once he switched, the other player would have the control. It'd probably be harder to do tag combos, but it would be nice to play with someone else, instead of against someone else. What do you think?

I was under the assumption that MK would feature co-op tag team; it seems pointless to me otherwise.

I actually like the idea. It would take time get used to, but with good communication and ability to read your friend's intentions, it can be an interesting way to play the game. The long period of down time for the inactive player may be issue for impatient players, but they can always stick to the more traditional vs mode.

Last edited:
I mentioned this a while ago. Unfortunately there are no answers or confirmations. But now that you think about it, it just wouldn't work.

I really don't see how it wouldn't work, please explain.

I think all it'd take is verbal communication, and it might break the holier-than-thou types up a bit. Games like Gears of War are wonderful because they rely solely on teamwork; very rarely can one non-hosting player completely dominate a full team by himself in that game. Use verbal cues, combined with signals like controller vibration, and you've got a great 4 player mode--it also encourages playing with friends or to simply stop being a wallflower, turn on the mic and work with a stranger.

If it's just 1 on 1 with 4 characters, that seems redundant to me. Legit 2 on 2 sounds like a lot of fun, though, and definitely a way for me to sell the game to my friends.

Yeah, that would be awesome fun to communicate and tell someone "Okay going for juggle, then switch your character is better juggler, get him on the ground switch back and i'll close gap blahblahblah" I mean it would take A LOT of communication and that's one of the things I love about Gears, you have to talk, and the teams that talk play so much better. It's also one of the reason I like it, because it requires team work instead of the dreaded Rambo Factor.

Yeah, that would be awesome fun to communicate and tell someone "Okay going for juggle, then switch your character is better juggler, get him on the ground switch back and i'll close gap blahblahblah" I mean it would take A LOT of communication and that's one of the things I love about Gears, you have to talk, and the teams that talk play so much better. It's also one of the reason I like it, because it requires team work instead of the dreaded Rambo Factor.

Thing is, I don't even have to tell my friends what to do in Gears. We have a specific strategy and talk sports, crack jokes, etc. while playing. I'm sure the same goes for CoD and whatever other game you can think of that supports multiple players. How did we get to that point? It surely wasn't being Gears savants, mind you, it was practice. A co-op fighting game would be just as easy and fun to master with another person as a co-op shooter--and just as hectic and goofy in the interim. After a few weeks of practice, it would become second nature, just like anything else on the market. As stated, a lot of the "better than you" types would likely protest this mode simply because A) they don't want anyone they know getting better than them at the game, and B) they may not have many friends to begin with due to their attitude, but why should we let a pool of a hundred or so players ruin the fun for the rest of us?

In another light, it could also balance out teams. I can't be the only decent MK player with dozens of friends who are just plain bad at the game. They want to have fun without feeling inept at the game, so this is another way to allow them to get together with pals and play a game they really like but can't for the life of them get good at it.

I've seen swap-out tag-team tournaments before with Killer Instinct, they were a blast. They would be a lot more fluid than four guys hovering around an arcade cabinet. This could not only work, it could be fun in a whole new light that we've never seen with MK in the past. I dig it.

Thing is, I don't even have to tell my friends what to do in Gears. We have a specific strategy and talk sports, crack jokes, etc. while playing. I'm sure the same goes for CoD and whatever other game you can think of that supports multiple players. How did we get to that point? It surely wasn't being Gears savants, mind you, it was practice. A co-op fighting game would be just as easy and fun to master with another person as a co-op shooter--and just as hectic and goofy in the interim. After a few weeks of practice, it would become second nature, just like anything else on the market. As stated, a lot of the "better than you" types would likely protest this mode simply because A) they don't want anyone they know getting better than them at the game, and B) they may not have many friends to begin with due to their attitude, but why should we let a pool of a hundred or so players ruin the fun for the rest of us?

In another light, it could also balance out teams. I can't be the only decent MK player with dozens of friends who are just plain bad at the game. They want to have fun without feeling inept at the game, so this is another way to allow them to get together with pals and play a game they really like but can't for the life of them get good at it.

I've seen swap-out tag-team tournaments before with Killer Instinct, they were a blast. They would be a lot more fluid than four guys hovering around an arcade cabinet. This could not only work, it could be fun in a whole new light that we've never seen with MK in the past. I dig it.

Exactly. There's four other friends of mine when we play horde its all joking level 50 run and done. One new person who might be good but doesn't know our strategy or plan and we have to bark orders it seems. So yea if I played mk a few weeks like that teaming with someone we would be in sync and running people off in no time.

Exactly. There's four other friends of mine when we play horde its all joking level 50 run and done. One new person who might be good but doesn't know our strategy or plan and we have to bark orders it seems. So yea if I played mk a few weeks like that teaming with someone we would be in sync and running people off in no time.

Yep, exactly! And can you imagine the hilarious carnage of playing with someone out of nowhere? Could be full of intentional and unintentional good times. Make it happen, NR!

I just had to register because of this thread.

The idea is perfect. This is just what MK would need, some kickass 4 player ko-op tag team! Now that you've mentioned it I'm going to be really bummed if it didn't happen!

I thought Ed said that there will be co-op tag team in an older interview. I'm not sure about searching for a teammate via matchmaking, but I think he mentioned "split screen" tag team (except ya know... without the "split").
I think it's great. I can play with my brothers or friends in something other than straight up versus. After all, those vs. matches get pretty competitive. Now maybe i can avoid ex-communication with someone due to a few heated matchups :p.

I think co-op tag-team would be great. It requires both players to be pro-active about being ready to swap in. Also maybe a way to flash a message to your teammate's screen that says "Tag me in!" I think they should consider this if it's technically possible, and sure they have thought of it already. Hansplusmatic let me know what you find interview wise.

Sounds like a fun mode. Would definitely be "different".

They might have a similar mode that randomly transfers control to the other player, too. Sorta like Randper Kombat only the player get switched. Even have more than 2 players to really cause "chaos".

I think co-op tag-team would be great. It requires both players to be pro-active about being ready to swap in. Also maybe a way to flash a message to your teammate's screen that says "Tag me in!" I think they should consider this if it's technically possible, and sure they have thought of it already. Hansplusmatic let me know what you find interview wise.

Skip to about 10:00 minutes in.