Let's discuss possible SubZero storylines

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEundying27

BANALITY
Someone offered an interesting possibility of sub zero's story line today, him possibly being infused with shao khan. While this idea is definitely cool (pun intended), there's a good chance it won't play out exactly like this but it might be pretty close.

Scorpion: Murderer!

SubZero: I tire of maintaining our innocence.

To me this dialog may offer more info than meets the eye. Throughout the history of MK, scorpion has always been chasing after sub zero because he believes he killed his clan and family when in reality it was quan chi disguised as sub zero, thus making the real sub zero and his clan "innocent", technically speaking.

Sub Zero: I tire of maintaining our innocence.

perhaps this is an indicator that sub zero says f it and decides to go on a killing spree and joins up with the evil side. Let's be real here, he does look more evil than usual in this new game.

Someone suggested that maybe subzero makes some sort of deal with the forces of out world or to whoever the main villain is. Perhaps it's shinnok. Who knows.

I can't wait to see how this story plays out, for now let's speculate.

Last edited:
While this is an interesting way to look at it. Me personally i would like to get a few more facts before we all get alot carried away. In the trailer were Scorp & Sub say, "Murderer" & "I tire of maintaining our innocence", it could simply be the team taking 2 different cutscenes and putting them together for the trailer to throw us off.

But it is always nice to hear someone else's perspective of the story.

While this is an interesting way to look at it. Me personally i would like to get a few more facts before we all get alot carried away. In the trailer were Scorp & Sub say, "Murderer" & "I tire of maintaining our innocence", it could simply be the team taking 2 different cutscenes and putting them together for the trailer to throw us off.

But it is always nice to hear someone else's perspective of the story.

The cutscenes aren't spliced together, it's their persona dialogue before they fight.

The way in which Sub-zero says it makes me feel like its an all new Sub-zero I don't why but that's what im thinking. I really don't buy into this Shao Kahn business. Also perhaps the Soulnado purified Bi Han

The way in which Sub-zero says it makes me feel like its an all new Sub-zero I don't why but that's what im thinking. I really don't buy into this Shao Kahn business. Also perhaps the Soulnado purified Bi Han

The fact that he says "I tire of maintaining our innocence" should tell you quite the opposite. He speaks as though he has been butting heads with Scorpion for years. How would that make him a "new" Sub Zero?

Perhaps Bi-Han's soul is purified and he becomes sub-zero again, as it does sound like they've been in conflict for years so it would only make sense that Scorpion call Bi-Han murderer and not Kuai Liang.

Kuai ,however, has his soul captured by Quan Chi in the ending of MK9 and while Bi-Han has his soul purified(possibly), Quan resurrects Kuai as the new Noob Saibot?

It would be a good twist as we get to see more of Bi-Han's humane side and more of Kuai's demonic side.

This could also explain the grittier look and the darker dialogue that this new sub-zero has, as I doubt Boon would add in a new cyromancer to the mix.

Last edited:
The fact that he says "I tire of maintaining our innocence" should tell you quite the opposite. He speaks as though he has been butting heads with Scorpion for years. How would that make him a "new" Sub Zero?

Well the game does take place 25 years after MK9

perhaps after cyber sub zero, a new one became grandmaster right away and for the next 25 years has been duking it out with scorpion.

Realistically in the realm of mortal kombat anything is possible. People die and get resurrected all the time. For all we know cyber subzero could've been changed back, same thing with noob.

I really hope they release some character vignettes again.

Not really.
It sounds like Sub-Zero is defending his family or teacher by saying "our innocence," as a collective of people who's innocence is being defended.
Meaning it could also be either 1 of the brothers defending his other brother, or a descendant defending their father's honor, or a student of 1 of the former Sub-Zeros.

Well the game does take place 25 years after MK9

No.
Ed Boon specifically said that MK X takes place after MK9, and spans 25 years, going from there to year 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25.
MK X doesn't immediately take place 25 years later.
It's over the course of 25 years time.

I just love that MK is actually one of the very few fighting games where fans do care for the storyline and the storyline is more serious and a bit more complex. Specially now. More and more, people care about a good script and a good story and I really love MK-Team delivers it.

To me, it's pretty obvious this Sub-Zero is Bi-Han. In MK9, Nightwolf defeats Noob Saibot and throws him into the soulnado. We actually don't know what happens to him after that. To me, the soulnado purified Noob Saibot's body and he returned as Sub-Zero. I do believe however that a dark part of his soul still carries on as another entity called Noob Saibot. So Sub-Zero and Noob Saibot would co-exist together as two faces of the same coin (a bit like Piccolo and Kami's story in Dragon Ball Z). This work perfectly. Kuai Liang could exist as a cyborg I guess (I really dispise Cyber Sub-Zero, but I like Kuai Liang).

To me, it's pretty obvious this Sub-Zero is Bi-Han. In MK9, Nightwolf defeats Noob Saibot and throws him into the soulnado. We actually don't know what happens to him after that. To me, the soulnado purified Noob Saibot's body and he returned as Sub-Zero.

I thought that same exact thing too, until Ed said that there have been different Sub-Zeros in MK, and I saw Sub-Zero's 3 different variations in MK X.

"Grandmaster" - This eludes to Kuai-Liang (as in Lin Kuei Grandmaster, which he was in the previous games).
"Unbreakable" - I believe is Bi-Han Sub-Zero.
"Cryomancer" - This could be a mix of Bi-Han and Kuai-Liang.

Y know... both Noob saibot and Shao Kahn got shot up into the sky when they died. And if Kahn was possessing sub when scorpion says "murderer" obviously he would say 'our innocence" to address both himself as Shao Kahn and sub zero. Maybe there's something to that hahaha

Y know... both Noob saibot and Shao Kahn got shot up into the sky when they died. And if Kahn was possessing sub when scorpion says "murderer" obviously he would say 'our innocence" to address both himself as Shao Kahn and sub zero. Maybe there's something to that hahaha

Possibly, but then why would he have variation moves based off of Kuai-Liang ("Grandmaster")?

People are basing this assumption based off of the hammer and win pose, but Raiden also had a hammer in MK4, and the win pose looks like Shredder Sub-Zero, IMO.

Noob Saibot and Shao Kahn were also shot up in different ways.
Noob Saibot was shot up through the Soulnado, which could have also teleported him, while Shao Kahn was shot up to the sky after being eaten by Elder God dragons, and "destroyed" by the elder gods.

I personally prefer the theory that Bi-Han was returned to his human, Sub-Zero form upon being roflstomped by the soulnado. Maybe the evil essence that turned him Noob got mostly sucked out, leaving a purified soul?

Come on, ol Bi-Han deserves some redemption. The only reason, I feel, that they did not spare the elder Sub-Zero in MK9 was so fans had Noob to play with in MK9.

No.
Ed Boon specifically said that MK X takes place after MK9, and spans 25 years, going from there to year 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25.
MK X doesn't immediately take place 25 years later.
It's over the course of 25 years time.

Which is pretty much what I said without being specific I assumed everyone already knew this so I figured I didn't need to be

I personally prefer the theory that Bi-Han was returned to his human, Sub-Zero form upon being roflstomped by the soulnado. Maybe the evil essence that turned him Noob got mostly sucked out, leaving a purified soul?

Come on, ol Bi-Han deserves some redemption. The only reason, I feel, that they did not spare the elder Sub-Zero in MK9 was so fans had Noob to play with in MK9.

I want it to be Bi-Han too, to give him time to shine, but the way Ed was going about it in the Gamespot interview didn't seem like it.

I'm just happy that Sub-Zero is back, and HUMAN. :)

I just don't see reason for it to be Bi-Han honestly.

The soulnado did not purify Scorpion. It also did not separate him Scorpion and Hanzo. The gods have no reason to save Bi-han after he gave them a beating in mythologies.

Mix the grandmaster playstyle (hinting kuai), the cryomancer playstyle(hinting both, but leaning towards Kuai), and unbreakable(anybody's ballgame including new Sub-Zero).

Also, there is no reason for Bi-Han to want to become grandmaster while Kuai has a VERY good reason to want to.

Mix in that Vogel already said "when did death in Mk mean they actually stay dead?" That seems to hint the dead may be revived at some point. So, what's Kuai going to do if he is revived? None of them have bodies and Johnny was given a new body circa MK3-4 via elder gods I believe. Plus, Kuai didn't stop being Sub-Zero. Bi-Han did.

My guess is Kuai becomes grandmaster and also has a son in this game. Therefore a new Sub-Zero as well.

I just don't see reason for it to be Bi-Han honestly.

I don't see a reason why it's Kuai, yet, either.

The soulnado did not purify Scorpion. It also did not separate him Scorpion and Hanzo. The gods have no reason to save Bi-han after he gave them a beating in mythologies.

If we're going to go with that mentality, then Kuai-Liang is dead in MK9 too, and Sektor is the new grandmaster according to his ending.
Everything is just speculation for now.

Mix the grandmaster playstyle (hinting kuai), the cryomancer playstyle(hinting both, but leaning towards Kuai), and unbreakable(anybody's ballgame including new Sub-Zero).

Unbreakable or Cyromancer, whichever is the zone type variation, actually refers more to MK9 Bi-Han, given that Kuai-Liang was the faster paced CSZ in MK9.

Johnny was given a new body circa MK3-4 via elder gods I believe.

How does that matter?
MK9 reset all of that.
According to MK9, Johnny survived the new MK1 thru UMK3 timeline.

My guess is Kuai becomes grandmaster and also has a son in this game. Therefore a new Sub-Zero as well.

This is about the only part that I agree with you on.
1 of the Sub-Zero brothers had a son in before MK9 (or possibly in MK X), which is this new Sub-Zero in MK X.

I don't see a reason why it's Kuai, yet, either.

I'm not saying there is. I'm simply stating most people have run rampant with this soulnado theory and I really just don't get why.

If we're going to go with that mentality, then Kuai-Liang is dead in MK9 too, and Sektor is the new grandmaster according to his ending.
Everything is just speculation for now.

Yeah, but you actually did just prove one of my points there. If Sektor is the Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei, and Sub-Zero's style is grandmaster, then it can be said that Sub-Zero takes over the Lin Kuei. Which Sub-Zero has a reason to take over the Lin Kuei? Which one hates Sektor's guts with a passion?

Unbreakable or Cyromancer, whichever is the zone type variation, actually refers more to MK9 Bi-Han, given that Kuai-Liang was the faster paced CSZ in MK9.

That would make sense if Bi-Han had his own character to himself in MK9, but he didn't. Also, whoever Sub-Zero is he has NO cyber enhancements in MKX. At least from what we have seen. So, the whole one is faster than the other makes zero sense either. Kuai Liang's main in MK9 was still just Sub-Zero.

How does that matter?
MK9 reset all of that.
According to MK9, Johnny survived the new MK1 thru UMK3 timeline.

Okay, follow along. I mentioned that Vogel has already said that being dead does not matter. The main reason a lot of people are being so solid that it's not Kuai is because he was a cyborg last time we saw him. That Johnny example shows that new bodies are indeed created, and that would not stop them from bringing Kuai back. I'm really not trying to defend Kuai here either. It's just sooo many people have run rampant with this soulnado theory, and it makes zero sense to me whatsoever. Even if he did survive the soulnado he should still be Noob Saibot, or in theory the soulnado should purify him by removing Noob. Scorpion could not split from Hanzo. This theory should not hold weight.

This is about the only part that I agree with you on.
1 of the Sub-Zero brothers had a son in before MK9 (or possibly in MK X), which is this new Sub-Zero in MK X.

Glad to see we agree here. We saw both Bi-Han and Kuai in MK9. I expect to see one of these two AND a new guy come MKX.

Bi Han is definitely still out there somewhere.

We know that from Scorpion's MKDA and Deception endings that when Moloch threw him into the Soulnado, he was initially ripped apart. But in Deception we find out that he was actually transported before the Elder Gods.

Which opens up many possibilities.

Maybe the Elder Gods made Sub-Zero their champion, like they did Scorpion before.
Or perhaps he remains Noob Saibot, and this Sub-Zero is someone entirely different
Could be they fused Kahn with Subs, like that one guy's theory. But I honestly can't think of any reason why they'd do it.

All in all though, I honestly think this Sub is Bi Han. He has his overconfidence, and it even sounds like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.