Kung Lao Thread - "For the Shaolin!"

Yes, they toned down his damage. He definitely needed a nerf on his wall combos but I think they were a bit too harsh on his midscreens. You can barely do 30% midscreen now. You either need to use meter or start with teleport+3 to go that high...

Regarding the wall combo how many times can you dive kick the apponent? I've tested 2 times before. Before the patch I could avarge up to 4 times.

Does anyone have tips against people who base their game around teleporting then the really quick kick? I try to poke them and they are faster, hard to time a quick uppercut. It seems like it's not punishable for them as long as they do the kick after the teleport, there has to be something I'm missing. I play as Kabal and Cyrax mostly.

I still can't stand Kung Lao and all of the people who play as him, he's just too easy to abuse...

Last edited:
Does anyone have tips against people who base their game around teleporting then the really quick kick? I try to poke them and they are faster, hard to time a quick uppercut. It seems like it's not punishable for them as long as they do the kick after the teleport, there has to be something I'm missing. I play as Kabal and Cyrax mostly.

I still can't stand Kung Lao and all of the people who play as him, he's just too easy to abuse...

IT depends on what you're doing when they teleport. IF your really watching for it.

you should be able to Anti air grab with cyrax if your quick, and EX nomad dash him with Kabal (Don't EX if Lao did his EX teleport)

Other than that you can uppercut. I know really low hurtbox characters can D1 into something (Don't think that works for cyrax+Kabal)

If you're doing an attack or you whiff a move when he teleports. You're gonna have to block because his kick will reach you in time.

IF you blocking when he starts his teleport you should be able to on reaction even online duck uppercut. You just gotta do it earlier than you think.

I was trying to uppercut but it didn't seem possible, it was probably just some lag. If there was a decent Practice mode I could practice against it. I wonder if it can whiff if I crouch without blocking? I'll go test it.

EDIT: I just had a friend help me practice offline and it's super easy to punish his kick on reaction, at least offline. It was just the lag that was messing me up. >_>

Last edited:
Am I the only one that hates KL in this game? Even playing as him, I feel like a dirty whore because he's so easy to win with. He's full-retard.

I still disagree, I play him on the side alot, and I still don't feel like I know anywhere near enough to consider him "easy" He's got so much too him he's very complicated.

Sure maybe easy mode for fighting noobs but so is Noob saibot.

He IS easy, that's why most people play as him online. I hardly use him at all and I can still beat people without much difficulty, even if they are just as good as me or better. He just has so many tools and he can control most of the screen easily. He has a safe advancing normal, low starter, lots of strings that can only be punished by a fast specials, 6 frame special, hat toss can be anti-air also, low special, teleport with all options, dive kick is good for counter-zoning, his spin hits even on the back so he has a counter-teleport move, low hit box, X-Ray that can easily be combo'd into and out of. Also his normal that has a low 2nd hit and the 3rd hit can be a grab or an overhead...

There has to be trade-offs with characters. Take Cyrax for example... He doesn't have a low starter, his specials are hit or miss so you don't get much chip damage, and other aspects. But the trade-off is that he has a high damage output.There are examples for every character. Noob is good at zoning, and his corner game is great, but the trade-off is that he's not so good up close.

Last edited:
Not alone, I hate lung kao. I still cant beat him. Hes annoying. I seem to get baited into ridiculous situations with him. He will be zoning me then ill panic, try to get close and attack, then bam teleport attack. I think patience ismy problem, I dont have much

Not gunna lie, I used to get mad nervous whenever I fought a good Lao online but now it's like..

"Oh, Another Lao player..."

I know most of his Mix-up options and how to defend against them, and know most of the teleport Shenanigans and set ups so I just apply what I know ingame. Most of them are predictable and love to abuse the Anti Air Spin so I just bait the spin both Anti Air and on wake up.

There are trade offs shall we talk about them? also I love how you only stated the positives of EVERYTHING he has. and not the negatives.

He IS easy, that's why most people play as him online.

This isn't a fact.

Interesting MK9 Character popularity Statistics

I was looking at the Character stats on Themortalkombat.com website, and thought I would share my observations with yall....

btw all the following stats are from both consoles (PS3 & 360)

Most Popular Female/Male:
PRINCESS Kitana / Scorpion (not surprising)

Least Popular Female/Male:
Sheeva / Quan chi (Sheeva not really a surprise / Quan Chi is badass, very surprising)

Top 3 males used:
1.Scorpion (Not surprising)
2.Raiden (really? above Sub-Zero and Liu Kang)
3.Sub-Zero (very Surprising)

Top 3 Females used:
1.Kitana (Not surprising)
2.Sonya (Not surprising)
3.Jade (very surprising, above Mileena?)

Most/Least Popular Cyborg used:
Cyrax (predicted) / Sektor (below Cyber Sub? extremely unexpected)

Most/Least Popular "ninja" :
Scorpion (-_-) / Reptile (Even below Ermac and Noob?)

Most/Least Popular female assassin/"ninja" :
Kitana (of course) / Mileena (so much for the new female face of MK)

BTW I didn't include DLC characters for obvious reasons.

Everyone does not use him, he's not even top 3. Sometimes when you hate something so much it seems like you fight them more often than you really do.

I hardly use him at all and I can still beat people without much difficulty, even if they are just as good as me or better.
This is nothing conclusive either. This is 100% me having to trust your opinion on your experiences. I have no idea who you fight or how good they are. Please.... go fight anyone top 32 at EVO. With kung lao. And beat them. He's not as easy to play as you make him out to be.

Know what? There are people I completely destroy with JADE A LOW TIER CHARACTER. but then I lose to them as Kung lao. And my kung lao is not complete garbage. he's probably my 4-5th most used character. So telling your personal experience is the best you got huh? how about the fact there's only 1-2 Kung lao players in tournament that ever achieve anything at all.

Kabal dominates, Hell before Evo, Jax dominated more than Kung lao. Now if you say "Well jax didn't win it was CDjr" why can't the same be said about Perfect Legend? Why can't it be "well it's not Kung Lao it's just PL"

He just has so many tools and he can control most of the screen easily.
Against who? Zoner's destroy him mid distance, and can recover fast enough to punish a teleport that comes on reaction from far distance. Rushdown characters control the screen upclose and even slight mid screen where you're only a dash away.

He has a safe advancing normal

uh... sure. F3 being safe isn't even what's good about the move. If your only using it to close distance it's -4 on block. Thank you for free pressure?

Low hat on block after roll is -13. enjoy dat combo

Spin after roll... obviously a high risk high reward scenario. It can go either way. Depends on who's more scared or more brave. This is completely fair scenario. Either YOU do alot of damage or he does.

low starter
That grants the opponent free pressure when blocked lol.

lots of strings that can only be punished by a fast specials
Yes but all characters have strings like this LOL. What's your point? Every character has safe strings or strings that put them at nuetral advantage or at + advantage. Kung lao has 1 string that leaves him at nuetral no matter where he stops during string. Where most of the cast can duck most of this string and uppercut him, or D1 him for advantage.

plain 2,1 also has zero advantage, but if you continue this on block. he's at -26 for overhead. -13 w/o the overhead. The overhead has push back but once again. IT's free pressure for you. Kung lao gives up his pressure once he goes for this. If you a JC player this is better than a combo half the time.

6 frame special

That's full punishable on block? Look man lol when someone's blocking, You have a HUGE disadvantage at guessing when he's gonna poke out to use the 6 frames to your advantage. It's terrible as a guessing game or a throw out move. It's sooo risky.

hat toss can be anti-air also

dunno the point of this, any projectile can be used as an anti air lol.

low special

And at the price of having a low special it's -12 frames... Most if not all characters can punish him. Or choose to get free pressure if they want.

teleport with all options

Really dude? this loses to uppercut 100% of the time. the only reason PL could make it work. was the fear he put into his opponents. and keeping them thinking 1 step behind. lol try teleporting against me. Not just uppercut a simple walk away also works.

dive kick is good for counter-zoning

yes it can serve that purpose. But it's also full punish on block. and before you say "just land infront of them." you can bait that as well and dash block INTO his early cut dive kick to catch him. It's mostly useful in just closing distance or getting on someone who got knocked down. Not so much to HIT them with. It's a spacing tool mostly.

his spin hits even on the back so he has a counter-teleport move, low hit box, X-Ray that can easily be combo'd into and out of. Also his normal that has a low 2nd hit and the 3rd hit can be a grab or an overhead...

This is how I know you don't know the character.

1.) Kung lao only has 1 free overhead. And it doesn't lead to anything so you should be low blocking most of the time. (The rest of his overheads are predictably at the end of strings)
2.) the 3rd hit CANNOT BE A GRAB. that grab only works if the first hits of the string connect. The grab doesn't just "grab" mid string. It's not like Cyrax. So if you were "getting hit anyways" your naturally just getting hit by the string. Don't mention grab as if it is a mix up or something.

The overhead at the end? He loses pressure once he chooses that option. And it doesn't deal out that much dmg by itself. I'd rather eat that than a low hat anyways.

There has to be trade-offs with characters. Take Cyrax for example... He doesn't have a low starter, his specials are hit or miss so you don't get much chip damage, and other aspects. But the trade-off is that he has a high damage output.There are examples for every character. Noob is good at zoning, and his corner game is great, but the trade-off is that he's not so good up close.

Cyrax has a decent upclose pressure game from what I've seen. he's got the typical cut string short start the string over again by using the fear of the 3rd hit and or net. He's got a command grab that kung lao doesn't have that leads to a free jump in.

Kung lao isn't the best Rush down.
He isn't the best zoner.
He isn't the best teleporter.

the ONLY title he might have is he is the best anti-air character. He's mostly well rounded in all catergories but a master in none.

you play kabal man, do you not feel that way about Kabal?

tl;dr but you miss my point, you read my post wrong. I didn't mean that most players online play as him, I meant it that most of the people who play as him play as him because he's easy. You can talk about all of the frame data you want, but there is a lot more to it than that. If he isn't easy then how come me as well as a bunch of other people can pick him up with little to no experience and do well? I never even practiced his combos before, but I have no problem pulling them off on the fly and winning easily with him without trying much at all.

I read all of his post and covered and went beyond your point.. Frame Data does matter if a move is -50 on block ANYONE can punish it, Inexperienced or Experienced player.

Plus I remember Critical saying this a while back : "Combos are a tool, you don't need them to win"

Taking Noob Saibot for an example, if he mixes up his Zoning well a read his opponent well he can control the entire pace of the match without having Combo at all..

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but I suggest you read what he says. You'll learn something cause I sure did.

tl;dr but you miss my point, you read my post wrong. I didn't mean that most players online play as him, I meant it that most of the people who play as him play as him because he's easy. You can talk about all of the frame data you want, but there is a lot more to it than that. If he isn't easy then how come me as well as a bunch of other people can pick him up with little to no experience and do well? I never even practiced his combos before, but I have no problem pulling them off on the fly and winning easily with him without trying much at all.

I agree he's easy to "pick up"

But he's not easy to master, if you really think he's easy to master. your knowledge of this character saddens me.

to properly apply his pressure you have to be a quick thinker/ and relentless as thinking ahead.

but all the characters that are "easy to pick up" They are all hard to master.

The only "easy mode" you talk about is noob level. Your not still noob level are you immortal? I know you're a better player than that.

lol Frame data = knowing what' punishable. You were acting like half the things you listed were not punishable or were broken. when all of them have negative effects.

By easy to pick up and hard to master.

You know I'm right because at the release of the game. Kung Laos were everywhere (Another reason being he was probably a bit OP, but still workable).

they have died off a lot lately. Alot less players that play kung lao. Now why is that?

Becuase he's hard to master. Once they couldn't use their gimmicks that you listed. And had to rely on mixups/pressure/baiting. They couldn't handle it and moved on to the next gimmick.

Last edited:
Kabal is better than Kung Lao, but the difference is that Kabal takes a lot of skill to use effectively. You can't just pick him up and start winning. There are some really good Kabal players that can make me look like I never played the game before, but I praise them because I know they put a lot of time and effort into the character and he's not super easy to use. There is a meta game with Kung Lao that can't be measured by numbers that you fail to see. I don't know why you get so butthurt every time I mention him and want to argue about it. I don't cry every time someone complains about a character that I like.