Kung Lao = BROKEN

Your blaming most of your failure on lag.

Post a video of you losing to a kung lao, and people can tell you where you messed up.

Lag is a major part of online play and Kung Lao has won most of the major tournaments that I have seen gain a lot of press in MK.

The speed of a character determines a lot in the game. Kung Lao is fast as hell and there is no denying that.

I'm not asking you to critique my game on how to punish a Kung Lao player.

I'm simply telling you after a year of playing this game and seeing Kung Lao in action...I can tell you he is simply over powered.

It's just an opinion...you don't have take my word for anything but I'm not the only one who has posted this and felt this way....

You seem very defensive and you probably exploit Kung Lao to the fullest yourself if I had to guess.

It's just annoying to see a little spinner win all the games with hardly any effort.

The #1 guy on xbox live ranked is definitly not located in the US and he only plays Kung Lao.

His record in online matches in ranked is 23,000 wins and 3,000 losses...

This type of record simply proves the character is just way over powered and unbalanced that he can have that high of a win percentage and also win the major tournaments that MK has held....

Just give me a break man....everyone knows Kung Lao is way over powered....

It's like picking up the BFG, splattering the room and acting like you have tons of skill....annoying and lame.

Lag is a major part of online play and Kung Lao has won most of the major tournaments that I have seen gain a lot of press in MK.

The speed of a character determines a lot in the game. Kung Lao is fast as hell and there is no denying that.

I'm not asking you to critique my game on how to punish a Kung Lao player.

I'm simply telling you after a year of playing this game and seeing Kung Lao in action...I can tell you he is simply over powered.

It's just an opinion...you don't have take my word for anything but I'm not the only one who has posted this and felt this way....

You seem very defensive and you probably exploit Kung Lao to the fullest yourself if I had to guess.

It's just annoying to see a little spinner win all the games with hardly any effort.

The #1 guy on xbox live ranked is definitly not located in the US and he only plays Kung Lao.

His record in online matches in ranked is 23,000 wins and 3,000 losses...

This type of record simply proves the character is just way over powered and unbalanced that he can have that high of a win percentage and also win the major tournaments that MK has held....

Just give me a break man....everyone knows Kung Lao is way over powered....

It's like picking up the BFG, splattering the room and acting like you have tons of skill....annoying and lame.

No offense but the more you tell me this the more I feel like you don't know much about this game.

Rank matches mean NOTHING. 23,000 and 3,000 losses doesn't sound surprising to me, My ratio with Ermac is 500 wins 50 losses, that ratio is pretty similar.

There are so many noob players on rank, that those statistics simply don't surprise me.

I know it's your "opinion" but I believe your opinion peels further from the truth. It's like having an opinion that a really really dark blue is black. It may look like it's almost black, but it's still blue.

nice try on putting me in a "I abuse kung lao that's why I'm defending him" or maybe I'm defending him because you're overly blameful of all your problems on a character and not
1.) your opponent
2.) your choice of character vs kung lao.

if you fight kung lao as sheeva your gonna wanna break your face. But Kenshi vs Jade, is 9-1 in kenshi's favor. You don't see jade players crying for kenshi nerfs because they understand that kenshi has other bad matchups outside of HER.

records prove nothing and until you can understand that I believe talking to you is pointless.

especially in RANK.

Someone has to be at the top, on your server it just so happens to be a kung lao. He probably started kung lao back in vanilla MK where his spin was almost unpunishable, and his record carried over.

this probably didn't cross your mind either.

I don't care if you've been playing for a year. I've been playing since April 2011 religiously.

when your best accomplishment is telling me about completing your combos.

no offense but you got a lot to learn. And you have no room to criticize characters if you can't even give yourself credentials like your word is law.

I'm a ermac/Skarlet player.

My first main was Jade.

I play half the characters in MK at a decent level.

You are the only person who feels this strong in today's world.

Get with the times man people are crying about Kenshi/Kabal/Cage.

they'll jump the bandwagon to whoever wins the next major.

Just wait til a cyrax wins a tournament with resets, he'll suddenly be top 5 on everyone's list.

You can't even name tournaments that you're talking about.

And if you name tournaments within the first 3-4 months of the games release where kung lao definitely was OP. Vanilla aka pre nerf.

you must post tournaments post patch.

If Kung lao is like a BFG, then why aren't you going to major tournaments and winning a ton of money?

Because your not anywhere good enough to make claims like this.

I hate to say this but you need to level up. not just your game but your mind set.

Players that always blame the game always perform the worst.

You refuse to admit problems in your ability to play the game and blame it on other things because there's no way there is anything wrong with way you play right? you have NOTHING left to learn right?
wrong.

No offense but the more you tell me this the more I feel like you don't know much about this game.

Rank matches mean NOTHING. 23,000 and 3,000 losses doesn't sound surprising to me, My ratio with Ermac is 500 wins 50 losses, that ratio is pretty similar.

There are so many noob players on rank, that those statistics simply don't surprise me.

I know it's your "opinion" but I believe your opinion peels further from the truth. It's like having an opinion that a really really dark blue is black. It may look like it's almost black, but it's still blue.

nice try on putting me in a "I abuse kung lao that's why I'm defending him" or maybe I'm defending him because you're overly blameful of all your problems on a character and not
1.) your opponent
2.) your choice of character vs kung lao.

if you fight kung lao as sheeva your gonna wanna break your face. But Kenshi vs Jade, is 9-1 in kenshi's favor. You don't see jade players crying for kenshi nerfs because they understand that kenshi has other bad matchups outside of HER.

records prove nothing and until you can understand that I believe talking to you is pointless.

especially in RANK.

Someone has to be at the top, on your server it just so happens to be a kung lao. He probably started kung lao back in vanilla MK where his spin was almost unpunishable, and his record carried over.

this probably didn't cross your mind either.

I don't care if you've been playing for a year. I've been playing since April 2011 religiously.

when your best accomplishment is telling me about completing your combos.

no offense but you got a lot to learn. And you have no room to criticize characters if you can't even give yourself credentials like your word is law.

I'm a ermac/Skarlet player.

My first main was Jade.

I play half the characters in MK at a decent level.

You are the only person who feels this strong in today's world.

Get with the times man people are crying about Kenshi/Kabal/Cage.

they'll jump the bandwagon to whoever wins the next major.

Just wait til a cyrax wins a tournament with resets, he'll suddenly be top 5 on everyone's list.

You can't even name tournaments that you're talking about.

And if you name tournaments within the first 3-4 months of the games release where kung lao definitely was OP. Vanilla aka pre nerf.

you must post tournaments post patch.

If Kung lao is like a BFG, then why aren't you going to major tournaments and winning a ton of money?

Because your not anywhere good enough to make claims like this.

I hate to say this but you need to level up. not just your game but your mind set.

Players that always blame the game always perform the worst.

You refuse to admit problems in your ability to play the game and blame it on other things because there's no way there is anything wrong with way you play right? you have NOTHING left to learn right?
wrong.

My opinion peels far from the truth? An opinon is not an onion you idiot. Your opinions don't peel. WTF are you talking about.

Black is Blue???

I've just made a pretty good post about how Kung Lao is over powered that seems to really got you in defensive mode.

You keep talking about all these other characters that I don't care about..I'm talking about Kung Lao....

Ranked matches don't mean anything? They organize you based on skill level and win ratio. It says a lot when one person ONLY chooses Kung Lao and has a an actual 23,000 wins. Thats a lot more then your 500.

I really don't care how religiously you play the game because your opinion is to tell me to go aginst what I think and just pick up Kung Lao and play over powered myself...

I don't like the character....The fighting style looks gay. He spins around pops up out of the ground like a whack a mole and performs the fastest moves in the game.....It looks dumb and its too fast in online play.

I'll say it again...I don't like the character and I will never attempt to pick up Kung Lao because I just don't like him.

You sound like a complete idiot telling me I'm the only person who feels this way when all you have to do is type a few words about Kung Lao into google and look at all of the people ranting and complaining about this character.

It's people like you who say oh he's been nerfed enough that are just plain in defense of cheezy characters who are far and beyond the majority of the selection in the tournament.

I don't play Sheeva ..if you read my post I told you that I only play Shang Tsung. And I never said learning his combos was my biggest achievement you moron...

I just said it was simply fun to me to learn and put it together and practice....

You must be a real moron with all of the terrible analogies in your post. An opinion is an onion? Black is blue? WTF are you talking about.

Your whole mindset is in this end game competitive tournament setting with the top 5 people in the world or something and that is just stupid... Wow there is 4 other people who might have a possible chance to beat Kung Lao....

The Tourmanets im referring to are the two major tournaments I've watched at EVO...

Justin Wong and Perfect Legend...both Kung Lao...both with the most overpowered punishments

And online on xbox live its the same thing...the #1 guy is some exploiting idiot only choosing Kung Lao every time.

And a few others in the top 10 also play Kung Lao considerably more then any other character just to gain the advantage and win.

Im cool with both PL and J Wong and their kung lao is not their biggest threat, J wong has a great Ermac and PL has Raiden, Cage, Kabal, and is working on Sektor. the key to their success is that they play every character at a pro level and know their match ups and weaknesses from actually using the entire cast. Picking a main is all about playing with the character that is most comfortable for you But playing is about knowing what the other guy can do. As a Shang player you need to know the entire cast because most of your damage output is after a soul steal. Critical may seem like he is criticising you but he is just stating what most players on the FGC are saying. Earier you said Kabal was the 2nd most over powered character in the game but he is currently the only S+ character in the game.... if anything, he should have been number 1 on your list. Kung Lao was over powered but he is balanced now. As a word of advice, learn kung lao - and when you match your shang against them, perform a soul steal followed by you best kung lao combo....Then tell me who is broken :)

Last edited:
Hurp durp, Koong laow iz OP he ez durrrrrr. Learn the matchup, or if he is so easy mode, learn him yourself. If people spent all the time that they complain about things learning how to get around them they probably wouldn't need to complain.

Also, LOL @ thinking online means anything

My opinion peels far from the truth? An opinon is not an onion you idiot. Your opinions don't peel. WTF are you talking about.

Black is Blue???

I've just made a pretty good post about how Kung Lao is over powered that seems to really got you in defensive mode.

You keep talking about all these other characters that I don't care about..I'm talking about Kung Lao....

Ranked matches don't mean anything? They organize you based on skill level and win ratio. It says a lot when one person ONLY chooses Kung Lao and has a an actual 23,000 wins. Thats a lot more then your 500.

I really don't care how religiously you play the game because your opinion is to tell me to go aginst what I think and just pick up Kung Lao and play over powered myself...

I don't like the character....The fighting style looks gay. He spins around pops up out of the ground like a whack a mole and performs the fastest moves in the game.....It looks dumb and its too fast in online play.

I'll say it again...I don't like the character and I will never attempt to pick up Kung Lao because I just don't like him.

You sound like a complete idiot telling me I'm the only person who feels this way when all you have to do is type a few words about Kung Lao into google and look at all of the people ranting and complaining about this character.

It's people like you who say oh he's been nerfed enough that are just plain in defense of cheezy characters who are far and beyond the majority of the selection in the tournament.

I don't play Sheeva ..if you read my post I told you that I only play Shang Tsung. And I never said learning his combos was my biggest achievement you moron...

I just said it was simply fun to me to learn and put it together and practice....

You must be a real moron with all of the terrible analogies in your post. An opinion is an onion? Black is blue? WTF are you talking about.

Your whole mindset is in this end game competitive tournament setting with the top 5 people in the world or something and that is just stupid... Wow there is 4 other people who might have a possible chance to beat Kung Lao....

The Tourmanets im referring to are the two major tournaments I've watched at EVO...

Justin Wong and Perfect Legend...both Kung Lao...both with the most overpowered punishments

And online on xbox live its the same thing...the #1 guy is some exploiting idiot only choosing Kung Lao every time.

And a few others in the top 10 also play Kung Lao considerably more then any other character just to gain the advantage and win.

34djzupjpg.gif

Black is Blue???

Two EVOs figures, you are talking about the only 2 tournaments PL won on a national level where he played kung lao.

Justin wong only won kung lao on vanilla MK9. post patch he hasn't done much at all.

Your records are old, and you ignore grassroot scenes and MLG results.

which alot of kung lao is lacking.

Don't call me an idiot. I'm not insulting you.

I know what an opinion is, but your opinion is garbage. an opinion is suppose to be something that only pertains to you like "how fun a game is"

If a midget has to wrestle a 7ft tall 300lbs muscle black belt. And you tell me your opinion is that's a fair match up.

That's essentially what you're doing with kung lao.

lol google is a good source for finding complaints? did you check the dates on those complaints? It's called either RIGHT after a EVO tournament where I said before people jump the bandwagon.

or vanilla MK.

The fact that you're here and not on Testyourmight complaining about kung lao, already shows me your more of a casual player and not a serious competitive tournament player.

how do you know the top 10 is always playing kung lao? Maybe the time you played them, They saw you pick shang tsung and they counter picked you with lao?

When it shows rankings it doesn't show you who they main lol. So your obviously basing everything off personal experience.

If I was going HARD for the win, and I was fighting a shang tsung I don't even main kung lao but I would consider it.

Explain to me Kung lao's metagame behind the easy to punish spin/teleport/divekick/lowhat.

Please explain to me in best detail how kung lao is played. and we'll see how good your knowledge is to make statements like you are now.

when I lose to kung lao, I take a second to think about what I did wrong. Try to correct it, or work around it.

Blame yourself first before you blame the game.

and i'm not being defensive of kung lao. He's a strong character.

but when you overblow how strong he is, it's very misleading. So I have to say something. IF you came in here and was like

"lol after being nerfed 3 times he's still high tier"

I'd be like "lol ya"

but you came in here saying he's BROKEN he's not broken.

do you even know what broken is?

Broken would be something on the level of the character having nothing but 9(to 8)-1(to 2) match ups.

where it's nearly unwinnable unless EVERYONE plays kung lao. But look at tournament results and that's not the case.

So yes you need to level up.

Last edited:
All you gotta do is learn how to block and when to attack a Lao...it's very easy to bait a Lao player who abuses his moveset. Blocking low stuffs a lot of Laos rushdown and he is very punishable now if he make a mistake

So dumb..

I join a King of the Hill today....
Both guys playing are fighting as Kung Lao...
Next guy comes up...guess who he picks....Kung Lao

I leave the King of the hill and go into ranked
the next 4 players all choose Kung Lao...

Do you know why everyone is picking Kung Lao? Because he's the most Overpowered POS.

I also called you a moron because your argument and analogies are all terrible.

And you go into your argument that I don't know anything about the game and my biggest achievement is a combo..

Your complete ignorance to why Kung Lao is labeled over powered makes me think your just a moron.

I'm not making this post to convince YOU of anything.
I am making my post to add to this thread...Kung Lao = BROKEN..OVERPOWERED...UNFAIR.....especially in the online play where I do all my playing.

You really don't have to read anything I say or respond. But if you respond with terrible analogies and criticizing my gameplay which you have never even seen and defending Kung Lao...I'm going to call you just a moron.

Also in response to ...just block....
No one wants to sit there on the defensive every single round because one character can teleport faster and move faster then any character in the game...

It's just dumb. I can understand moves granting an advantage but there needs to be bigger drawbacks to this character. He has way too much going for him and almost no disadvantages and I keep seeing every player go straight to Kung Lao like a crutch.

So dumb..

I join a King of the Hill today....
Both guys playing are fighting as Kung Lao...
Next guy comes up...guess who he picks....Kung Lao

I leave the King of the hill and go into ranked
the next 4 players all choose Kung Lao...

Do you know why everyone is picking Kung Lao? Because he's the most Overpowered POS.

I also called you a moron because your argument and analogies are all terrible.

And you go into your argument that I don't know anything about the game and my biggest achievement is a combo..

Your complete ignorance to why Kung Lao is labeled over powered makes me think your just a moron.

I'm not making this post to convince YOU of anything.
I am making my post to add to this thread...Kung Lao = BROKEN..OVERPOWERED...UNFAIR.....especially in the online play where I do all my playing.

You really don't have to read anything I say or respond. But if you respond with terrible analogies and criticizing my gameplay which you have never even seen and defending Kung Lao...I'm going to call you just a moron.

Also in response to ...just block....
No one wants to sit there on the defensive every single round because one character can teleport faster and move faster then any character in the game...

It's just dumb. I can understand moves granting an advantage but there needs to be bigger drawbacks to this character. He has way too much going for him and almost no disadvantages and I keep seeing every player go straight to Kung Lao like a crutch.

like I said maybe it's because of the character you pick?

you ask why I talk about sheeva?

dude I pick kung lao for sheevas because it's like a 8-2 matchup in lao's favor.

I don't know how bad it is for shang. But if it's pretty bad, your probably facing more kung laos than anything. your character needs a buff.

Your experience doesn't prove anything.

I barely run into Kung laos at all these days.

Maybe the guys in KotH saw how much of a problem you have with kung lao and also picked him.

And my analogies are terrible? You see the more you tell me this the more I believe you're ignorant.
Because you ARE complaining about a character as OP that the majority of the competitive community has deemed not the best character. That belongs to Kabal.

I was watching a stream where the top players in the world were talking about their top 5 picks.

wanna know how many times I heard kung lao? zero.

like I said, ask for help. instead of blaming/whining about a character that isn't gonna get patched because the last patch has already came.

Why don't you take my challenge?

PLease... explain to me how kung lao plays his meta game.

I can't wait.

Last edited:
Dude, seriously, you aren't gonna get anywhere with that scrub mentality. KL isn't even the best in the game.

inb4
5301498633_f551d4cc5c_z.jpg

Online play not representative of high-level play. The online environment subject to lag, which can randomly screw up someone's game. Offline play doesn't suffer from latency issues, so both players will have full control over their characters at all times.

Just to let you know, name-calling doesn't really sit well over here. Beside being against the rules here, it doesn't contribute to your argument in a meaningful way.

Last edited: