Kung Lao = BROKEN

Like someone else said, learn the matchup, know what he can do,
know how to counter it. Simple. If losing to Kung Lao upsets you,
learn how to use him yourself, then you will have nothing to blame.

There's a reason why so many tournament players are using him. There's a reason why most of the time Kung Lao is in the grand finals. He's an overpowered character that does have to be nerfed. A lot of ignorant replies telling people to just deal with it. It's annoying for players at tournaments going who they enjoy and having their chances of winning lowered because of a Kung Lao (not talking about myself).

As regards to Kung Lao, I haven't really ever had a problem with it (though that might be because I have never played a human one xD Damn psn) but if I do fight higher level AIs, doesn't bother me. I have seen how crazy his combos are and how damaging/easy to pull off they are. I think he should either have reduced speed or.... reduced speed.

Remember back in those Umk3 days when people lost they were still having fun. Now its "BROKEN BROKEN" I am calling a Trollin`. If you think this spin is broke then I guess Scorpion's spear and Sub-Zero's Ice is broke to right? No it is just Kung Lao is an easy pick up character. Stop hating the player and the game on this one and just get good<---

Remember back in those Umk3 days when people lost they were still having fun. Now its "BROKEN BROKEN" I am calling a Trollin`. If you think this spin is broke then I guess Scorpion's spear and Sub-Zero's Ice is broke to right? No it is just Kung Lao is an easy pick up character. Stop hating the player and the game on this one and just get good<---

No, because Sub's Ice and Scorpion's Spear are at a balanced level, while Kung Lao's spin is just stupidly good.

i agree with you about kung lao being broken. pretty much noob, smoke, scorp, kung, and more are just waaay 2 powerful. even ed says it needs some balancing so all of you who say we are just whining, don't you feel stupid. the freakin creator even admitted it. its just the truth. you love it because your always winning with these unbalanced fighters. but for those of us who play other fighters in MK, we lose not because of a lack of skill, but because your spamming these moves where we can barely move. thats not skill, it's spamming. And YES i know you can uppercut a teleport and combo into it, but trying doing that online, yeah it doesnt always work because of the horrible netcode. this is something ed says he DID NOT WANT in MK. He hates spammers too. but it's there and he is going to fix it. so original poster, your not alone and dont listen to these people. they are using these fighters who are broken and just disconnect when they lose. the game has so much potential, but to pro fighters like myself and an MK veteran, you cant overlook the obvious. the game is Broken!!

i didnt even attend the tournament because of this. Theres no refunds either for pdp tourney i tried.. theres 30 bucks ill never get back. but its pointless to drive 3 hours to vegas when its all kung lao, noob or smoke. if i would have been there, i would have given ed a talkin too. but i know alot of you have already and im sure hes sick of it lol. Glad he's patching this soon. i love him again

i agree with you about kung lao being broken. pretty much noob, smoke, scorp, kung, and more are just waaay 2 powerful. even ed says it needs some balancing so all of you who say we are just whining, don't you feel stupid. the freakin creator even admitted it. its just the truth. you love it because your always winning with these unbalanced fighters. but for those of us who play other fighters in MK, we lose not because of a lack of skill, but because your spamming these moves where we can barely move. thats not skill, it's spamming. And YES i know you can uppercut a teleport and combo into it, but trying doing that online, yeah it doesnt always work because of the horrible netcode. this is something ed says he DID NOT WANT in MK. He hates spammers too. but it's there and he is going to fix it. so original poster, your not alone and dont listen to these people. they are using these fighters who are broken and just disconnect when they lose. the game has so much potential, but to pro fighters like myself and an MK veteran, you cant overlook the obvious. the game is Broken!!

i didnt even attend the tournament because of this. Theres no refunds either for pdp tourney i tried.. theres 30 bucks ill never get back. but its pointless to drive 3 hours to vegas when its all kung lao, noob or smoke. if i would have been there, i would have given ed a talkin too. but i know alot of you have already and im sure hes sick of it lol. Glad he's patching this soon. i love him again

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x56/_smokingman/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I love playing with kung lao. people are always mad though after they lose, becuase i block stuff all the time. I mean arent you supposed to not get hit ? I dont get it. I purposely try NOT to spam the same moves over and over. I try to mix everything up. But i have to block. After watching the advanced liu kang vs kung lao matches you have to use your block as much as you can.

After over a year of playing this game every single day I finally decided to make an account an make a post.

Kung Lao is the most over powered character in any fighting game I have ever seen.

Many of you have seen me in the XBOX 360 Live Ranked Match games as I am now Ranked #17 and only really play one character...

Shang Tsung...

After mastering the Shang Tsung fireball bounce combo it was something I could not put down and love playing with. I can generally pull off the 46% damage combo with only one bar. Training every day with fireball placement has allowed me to get better and picking characters up from the different spots on the floor.

But...Playing many Kung Lao's...from pros to noobs....one thing is apparent....The charcter is unbalanced and way over powered.
I was going to complain about it earlier after the first Vegas Tournament and seeing how Kung Lao played online but I figured since so many people were already complaining on forums that it was just so obvious that Kung Lao needs reworking to be fair....

Over a year and the character is still the same overpowered tournament winning bullcrap of a character who outdoes every other character you can select in the tournament. Amazing how the characters you have to unlock suck more then Kung Lao....

Not only can Kung Lao fight faster then any character using spin tactics....
He is loaded with teleports that continue into brutal combos letting him fully abuse anyone...from anywhere....
He also gets a special throw that no other character gets...

Shang Tsung has almost no zoning and has to literally walk up to his opponent to get a decent combo off unless he some how skillfully lifts them up off the ground with a fireball (So much harder and requires pin point accuracy compared to just teleporting right into the face of your opponent every time)....

I see so many Kung Lao players repeating the same easy combos and spamming teleport/spin. Even noob can even do 1 1 1 1 special throw combo over and over after a spin and its so annoying and lame.

I remember watching footage of Ed Boon explain how cool Mortal Kombat was going to be and it really psyched me up....
He was talking about how a character comes out and he even forgot the name of Kung Lao he was so excited talking about the Shaloin.
He basically was explaining Kung Lao and how he is so awesome before the game was even released.
I didn't realize how much he really was sucking on Kung Lao's you know what.....
Seriously give some love to the other characters....

Seriously look at all the easy moves/combos kung lao has...
Teleport combos allowing him to always be right on top of you.
Spin is the fastest move in the game to always take priority
Laggy players just abuse this character to the fullest online and its so apparent that he is faster and more annoying then any character in the entire line up.

Look at the tournaments that MK has held and how Kung Lao rises all the way to the top every single time.

Doesn't this give a red flag to the developers that Kung Lao is overpowered?
Why do they choose to ignore how they completely failed by giving so much firepower to one character over all the rest.
Probably because the MK team plays Kung Lao too and sucks his balls for all the moves they game him.

Look at how poor they made Shang Tsung....he can't even morph into any character anymore....
He can't zone at all.....
His moves are all slow as hell.....
His soul steal is slow as hell and hardly works if you simply duck or are low kicking.
The soul steal fails so many times its really amazing how they let this happen.
Also sometimes if you try to jump into your opponent after a combo with Shang he will hit an invisible wall as you try to jump toward the other character and not be able to jump....
Seriously netherrealm do some testing with Shang and see what I'm talking about.
The fact that I'm #17 on the xbox live ranked with Shang Tsung has gotten me a lot of praise from players saying I'm one of the best Shang Tsungs.....
I also get a lot of salty players telling me I'm spamming because I use my 46% combo twice in a match...
They think that means spam...

Spam is when Noob Saibot throws his projectile ninjas at you over and over....
Not skillfully completing a 46% 1 bar combo twice in a row because you practice every day.

But after playing for over a year, watching the tournaments, and learning about hitboxes and the overpoweredness they can add to characters like Kung Lao/Milleena/Kabal.....I now understand how these players are accomplishing such non-sense non-punishable moves in the online play....

I really hope injustice doesn't have one character that is as overpowered as Kung Lao...it really takes away from the fun of the game and getting people to choose different characters....

Ed Boon..you've built an army of noobs who only pick Kung Lao and talk so much crap online after they have taken advantage of the OP crap you allow to go on in this awesome tournament of a game.

For instance there is this guy who now calls him self "For the Shaolin"...hes clearly from Germany or some foreign country because hes laggy as hell and just abuses kung lao teleport over and over making it almost impossible to catch him and punish...

He's #1 on xbox live seriously? 23,793 wins and only 3,736 losses and kung lao is not overpowered???? really???

Most of the time these days I just quit the game when I see the player has 10,000 wins and like 500 losses and they are choosing kung lao every fight...

It's like...come on....Netherrealm wake the hell up and take your heads out of the DC world and concentrate on balancing out the MK tournament a bit...

Kung Lao doesn't deserve to rape the tournament for eternity...

This game should have some more balancing that makes it a more fun tournament where your not sure which character will win...

If you talk crap and you play Kung Lao you are nothing more then a scrub copy cat who likes to exploit the latest and greatest fail.

I enjoy playing people who change their character up or play lower tier characters and can show off amazing combos...

Not overpowered characters who have the advantage on every move...

OBEYURMASTER

After over a year of playing this game every single day I finally decided to make an account an make a post.

Welcome to TRMK

Kung Lao is the most over powered character in any fighting game I have ever seen.

Many of you have seen me in the XBOX 360 Live Ranked Match games as I am now Ranked #17 and only really play one character...

First off the MK9 ranking system holds ZERO merit. You can become Number 1 if you are atleast slightly decent at the game, and just play more games than anybody else.

I've babied people higher rank than me in Rank matches. It doesn't give you much credentials. If you told me you regularly practice with some of the god tier offline players i'd say your credentials were somewhat legit.

But to open with that isn't a good idea. I could probably win 20-1 matches in rank with sheeva, that's how bad the ranked compeitions are.

Shang Tsung...

After mastering the Shang Tsung fireball bounce combo it was something I could not put down and love playing with. I can generally pull off the 46% damage combo with only one bar. Training every day with fireball placement has allowed me to get better and picking characters up from the different spots on the floor.

Well good work, training is the key to victory and a great mind set. But there's obviously way more to the game than combos so we'll see what else you have to say.

But...Playing many Kung Lao's...from pros to noobs....one thing is apparent....The charcter is unbalanced and way over powered.
I was going to complain about it earlier after the first Vegas Tournament and seeing how Kung Lao played online but I figured since so many people were already complaining on forums that it was just so obvious that Kung Lao needs reworking to be fair....

Over a year and the character is still the same overpowered tournament winning bullcrap of a character who outdoes every other character you can select in the tournament. Amazing how the characters you have to unlock suck more then Kung Lao....

You obviously haven't been keeping up. his spin use to be unpunishable by most of the cast, his low hat on hit use to give him free advantage. They nerf these two things to hell. And he's just where he needs to be at IMO.

he hasn't been flooding the scene in all the majors as much as you'd think. CDjr picked him up but he keeps going back to his roots to stay in the tournament. REO and a bunch of others picked him up, but they all do better with their main. If he was so broken this wouldn't be the case? The only real results I see coming from kung lao players, and someone please add more names if I missed some are. Perfect Legend, Forever King, FoxxyGrandpa, (it's a decent side character for REO).

And if you look at who's been winning tournaments?
Dizzy(Johnny Cage) won season's beatings.
Pig of the Hut(Kenshi) won MLG.
REO(Kabal) won a MLG
CDjr(Jax) won a MLG
Only 2 Kung laos in top 8 at EVO, (where kung lao did win Perfect Legend)

Perfect legend's kung lao lost to Maxter's cyrax not too long ago, and has even lost to denzell's subzero before.

Not only can Kung Lao fight faster then any character using spin tactics....
He is loaded with teleports that continue into brutal combos letting him fully abuse anyone...from anywhere....
He also gets a special throw that no other character gets...

This "special" throw, you do realize doesn't work on the opponent unless the 4, from 2,4 connects and hits the opponent right? try 2,4,1+3 on a crouch blocking opponent, the throw won't even come out unless the 4 hits them. His teleports are EASILY punishable, by everyone in the cast, whether it's uppercut, or walk back, anti air jab, or anti air D1. If your getting blown up by the teleport you need to work on your exectuion.

Shang Tsung has almost no zoning and has to literally walk up to his opponent to get a decent combo off unless he some how skillfully lifts them up off the ground with a fireball (So much harder and requires pin point accuracy compared to just teleporting right into the face of your opponent every time)....

My knowledge of shang tsung is low, but I know he's not bottom tier, this is a result of your character needing to be levele up to compete with the other big dogs like "Cage sonya Kitana Kabal Kenshi Kung lao" ect ect. your fireballs are harder because you got control of it. Kung lao doesn't have control of his teleport. I would rather have to push more buttons and chooose where his teleport goes, than to have it auto track on you. so imo your shang having to choose where to place it is a god send, and it isn't as punishable as kung's teleport.

this is literally the last special you should be complaining about.

I see so many Kung Lao players repeating the same easy combos and spamming teleport/spin. Even noob can even do 1 1 1 1 special throw combo over and over after a spin and its so annoying and lame.
Except that's not his best combo. those do less than 30%. and if you get hit by a spin(grounded) that was your bad call. IF you call it out and block, you get a full combo on him instead. A good kung lao doesn't just throw out spins or he'll get blown up.

I remember watching footage of Ed Boon explain how cool Mortal Kombat was going to be and it really psyched me up....
He was talking about how a character comes out and he even forgot the name of Kung Lao he was so excited talking about the Shaloin.
He basically was explaining Kung Lao and how he is so awesome before the game was even released.
I didn't realize how much he really was sucking on Kung Lao's you know what.....
Seriously give some love to the other characters....

this part of your post was unnecessary information. But I guess thanks for explaining how you got hyped.

Seriously look at all the easy moves/combos kung lao has...

plent of people have EASY combos/moves. Easymac is called Easymac for a reason. Subzero's combos are brain dead, DB1, is just as hard as kung's DF1, same amount of difficulty so why aren't you complaining about these characters?

and to be fair I played shang for 1 day and could easily do his 30%-45%+ combos easily. As a Skarlet player should I be complainign about how easy shang is to execute in comparison

the more TOOLS you have the harder the execution. the fact that Kung lao auto-tracks takes away possible options if you chould choose where he teles. If your fireballs just homed in. you'd lose your ability to counter their jumping approaches ect ect by placing a fireball infront of them.

Teleport combos allowing him to always be right on top of you.
Spin is the fastest move in the game to always take priority
Laggy players just abuse this character to the fullest online and its so apparent that he is faster and more annoying then any character in the entire line up.

He's not the FASTEST character, he looks like the fastest but he has more openings than Cage/Sonya. He has REALLy punishable specials. Granted his specials grant him a combo, a proper counter grants a counter punish. A reall fast special huh? know what's faster than spin? block. and block beats spin with a full combo EVERY single time on EVERY single character.

Look at the tournaments that MK has held and how Kung Lao rises all the way to the top every single time.

Again your behind the times. Kung lao hasn't won a tournament since EVO 2012. and before that, he wasn't winning tournaments really since EVO 2011. Which Perfect legend won in both of them. So maybe it's Perfect Legend that's OP and not Kung lao? Not saying kung lao is a weak character he's a strong character. But he shouldn't be your top concern if your worried about balance.

Doesn't this give a red flag to the developers that Kung Lao is overpowered?
Why do they choose to ignore how they completely failed by giving so much firepower to one character over all the rest.
Probably because the MK team plays Kung Lao too and sucks his balls for all the moves they game him.

Look at how poor they made Shang Tsung....he can't even morph into any character anymore....
He can't zone at all.....
His moves are all slow as hell.....
His soul steal is slow as hell and hardly works if you simply duck or are low kicking.
The soul steal fails so many times its really amazing how they let this happen.
Also sometimes if you try to jump into your opponent after a combo with Shang he will hit an invisible wall as you try to jump toward the other character and not be able to jump....
Seriously netherrealm do some testing with Shang and see what I'm talking about.
The fact that I'm #17 on the xbox live ranked with Shang Tsung has gotten me a lot of praise from players saying I'm one of the best Shang Tsungs.....
I also get a lot of salty players telling me I'm spamming because I use my 46% combo twice in a match...
They think that means spam...

Spam is when Noob Saibot throws his projectile ninjas at you over and over....
Not skillfully completing a 46% 1 bar combo twice in a row because you practice every day.

But after playing for over a year, watching the tournaments, and learning about hitboxes and the overpoweredness they can add to characters like Kung Lao/Milleena/Kabal.....I now understand how these players are accomplishing such non-sense non-punishable moves in the online play....

I really hope injustice doesn't have one character that is as overpowered as Kung Lao...it really takes away from the fun of the game and getting people to choose different characters....

Ed Boon..you've built an army of noobs who only pick Kung Lao and talk so much crap online after they have taken advantage of the OP crap you allow to go on in this awesome tournament of a game.

For instance there is this guy who now calls him self "For the Shaolin"...hes clearly from Germany or some foreign country because hes laggy as hell and just abuses kung lao teleport over and over making it almost impossible to catch him and punish...

He's #1 on xbox live seriously? 23,793 wins and only 3,736 losses and kung lao is not overpowered???? really???

Most of the time these days I just quit the game when I see the player has 10,000 wins and like 500 losses and they are choosing kung lao every fight...

It's like...come on....Netherrealm wake the hell up and take your heads out of the DC world and concentrate on balancing out the MK tournament a bit...

Kung Lao doesn't deserve to rape the tournament for eternity...

This game should have some more balancing that makes it a more fun tournament where your not sure which character will win...

If you talk crap and you play Kung Lao you are nothing more then a scrub copy cat who likes to exploit the latest and greatest fail.

I enjoy playing people who change their character up or play lower tier characters and can show off amazing combos...

Not overpowered characters who have the advantage on every move...

OBEYURMASTER

Sounds more like your just upset shang tsung isn't as high as you want him to be.

when you play say SHEEVA I can totally understand your hate for Kung Lao. Same for Shang. But this just means you probably need a secondary, Kung lao isnt' w/o his bad matchups. Kung lao players hate having to fight low hitbox characters and there is a reason for this.

I think your understanding is from a biased point of view of having to deal with a matchup that's hard for shang tsung. Shang Tsung needs a buff, not that kung lao needs a nerf.

He's fine the way he is IMO. it's the low/mid tiers that need minor buffs to catch up.

Thanks for actually reading my entire post and making comments to each section.

Didn't really expect it to be read so fast.

But my opinion still stands as it is....Kung Lao has been and will always be overpowered and unfairly matched against almost every character in the tournament.

You constantly are bringing up the top tier players like Perfect Legend but I really could care less about these people who I will probably never play against.

I am basing all of my experiences from the Xbox Live Ranked system and the way characters play online. This is where I play all of my matches and I think where most people who buy the game will be playing their matches.

Most people don't go to these tournaments to be horrifically beaten by the biggest exploiters of characters advantages.

There is a huge difference between someone who has studied every single move/combo/punish/ of a character and a noob who knows some special moves and a combo or two.

In my opinion it just seems Kung Lao is so cheezy. Noobs all pick him up to win easily. With the marginal lag online...the speed of Kung Lao gives him a HUGE advantage.

Maybe I am ranting a bit about Shang Tsung in my post because I feel he was way over looked. As the holder of the Mortal Kombat tournament and a character who has been in all of the Mortal Kombats I think they made him very simplistic and slow and its disappointing.

Look at "For The Shaolin" on Xbox Live.....he's ranked #1 with 23000 wins and 3000 losses......
He basically teleports over and over and over and its unpunishable.

Everyone who plays Kung Lao yells back OH ITS SO EASY TO PUNISH HIM...
No it's not....
If there is any lag your not going to get a fast Uppercut unless your like..Quan Chi or something.
Go try to play Shang Tsung vs a Kung Lao and i guarantee you won't be punishing him unless the guy completley sucks at Kung Lao.

Like I said I have played with noobs and pros online and it is generally agreed by everyone that Kung Lao is WAY overpowered.

The only people who defend him are ones who play him and love to exploit all of his advantages.

You made a point about how the combo I brought up isn't even his most powerful...and thats my point.
He has these dumb easy stupid mixups that even a noob can pick up not knowing anything and do 36% dmg.
Once you pick up the guide you will realize Kung Lao is just built to be a powerhouse stronger then any of the characters in the line up.
You would think that characters you have to unlock would be a bit more powerful then the original cast but no...
Kung Lao is a cheezy character that noobs love to defend because they learned how to be undefeatable....

Honestly no one on Xbox Live should have 23,000 wins and 3,000 losses....and this foreign dude who talks so much shit over the mic and message system completley abuses the lag and speed of Kung Lao.

A record like that shows that there is a huge problem

Obviously this is a pretty big rant but I think its just plain obvious to see.....its not a fair match up fighting Kung Lao, plain and simple unless your one of these tournament winning people whos abusing the hell out of teleports.

Im suprised how slow they make Shangs moves/zoning...yet theres a line up of characters who can just Teleport over and over extremley fast.

I'd just really like to see Kung Lao nerfed or Shang Tsung buffed a bit.

So tired of getting it match ups with these foreign people outside the US talking crap about how they are so good because they play Kung Lao....

Meanwhile if they had to choose any other character on the board they would get punished over and over by my Shang or the match up would be so much more fair...

Its plain and simple....being able to move into your opponents face and perform 50% dmg combos from anywhere on the map is just rediculous....

On top of that there a spin which is faster then any move in the game....

And his throw is abused by every Kung Lao player I see....What happend to other characters getting a cool throw? Why only Kung Lao gets all of this love?

Might as well call this game MK vs Kung Lao....

Eh, at least this cracks me up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzEwIDU0vxg
go to 49:39
Ed boon says "We've always been a huh?"
freudian slip....

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd worry more about Kabal

Kabal is probably the 2nd most over powered character...
That rush down is disgusting....how is that even legal?
He can just rush your face with no chance of punishment.

Everyone is screaming to just do a simple down kick but with any hint of lag and that down kick is just not going to come out...

Just a lame excuse of a win or you force your opponent to have to play footsies with you the whole game.

Simply break these overpowered 100% rush down moves that are totally exploited by hitboxes and I would be much happier playing this game against fair players who use the 360 controller and play for a good fight.

Your blaming most of your failure on lag.

If you can't adapt to lag, then just give up man because the servers aren't gonna get any better. and it wouldn't be fair to balance a game around lag tactics.

Raiden was fine offline but online his teleport was nearly unpunishable, they nerfed it and now he's hardly even in tournaments anymore.

You said "kung lao" has been winning tournaments.

That's why I brought up big names, because kung lao HASN'T been winning tournaments.

What I think you're doing is.

you're creating a "crappy player" tier list.

where if you asked straight up NOOBS, what was their tier list.

Noob Saibot/Scorpion/Ermac/Kung Lao Would all be at the top. noobs can't play kabal the way he can be played so he'd be lower tier in their eyes.

Because noobs can't handle simple strong tactics that require thinking to get around.

you balance at the highest level, not at a lower skill level in a online environment.

Because if your getting destroyed by Kung Lao, and you have no beef with Johnny cage or Sonya or Kabal.

It just means you gotta either level up your vs kung lao game,

or try another character if yoru character loses to kung lao by like 7-3

I'm not saying Kung lao is a weak character, it may come off that way because I think you're overblowing his strengths.

He's a strong character, Top 6 IMO.

But he's no where near broken/unbeatable. He's got some strong matchups. and he's even got some weak matchups.

Sorry but a noob kung lao player should not be "winning". Even if he "spams" these so called cheap tactics. Because every single one of them has a huge punish to follow if you defend against them properly.

And if a nooby picks up kung lao and wins, then that just means his opponent is probably worse than him.

I think instead of saying you think he's broken.

a much better way to explore the problem is to ask for help?

Post a video of you losing to a kung lao, and people can tell you where you messed up.