Kung Lao = BROKEN

Haha, Kal I was actually referring to drew9795 who at the time, was the last to post. Way to get defensive though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MVJN4fIWQ&feature=channel_video_title

Check is good, but any high level tournament player will be able to replicate those kinds of combo's, a good portion of those fights on the stream were focused in the corners, but at day 3 those guys didn't pull off quite the same level of damage.

EDIT: And while Sagat may be a monster at dealing damage from a jump in, he needs to use meter/ultra to get the good stuff. He also isn't anywhere near on par with the rest of the SF roster when it comes to offensive rushdown. KL is.

Haha, Kal I was actually referring to drew9795 who at the time, was the last to post. Way to get defensive though.

Check is good, but any high level tournament player will be able to replicate those kinds of combo's, a good portion of those fights on the stream were focused in the corners, but at day 3 those guys didn't pull off quite the same level of damage.

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking to me. Now I feel like an idiot. I shall edit my post.

As for that video, the chances of that happening or someone pulling it off in a tournament match are slim to none. Like Fuerte's infinite, or other 100% crap that is possible in games like MvC3 and what not. It just won't happen.

im watching another MK9 tournament stream... and there is at least 1 kung lao in every fight... lol :p

EDIT: OK A Raiden Player, just PWNED... the kunglao lol

No worries. We're only on day 3 so maybe this the equivalent of iceman in MvC2, seems amazing at the start, but with time it turns out there are far better choices. However, unless we see ways for the rest of the cast to produce that kind of damage, I think he is due some kind of nerf, minor I should note.

To be totally honest, I and others might come across as overly keen to balance the game because this is MK's time to shine, and any broken character that floods a big tournament makes it seem like a bit of a joke. If we get to EVO and it's KL V KL everywhere, nobody will take it seriously in the long run.

Hey I remember when it was Ryu vs Ryu, Sagat vs Sagat and hell even now with AE it seems to be Yun vs Yun, that doesn't seem to affect the scene for SF. You do have a point though, MK always get the harsher criticism when it comes to tournament level stuff.

At this point its fair to say that most of the players in the game have moves that can be spammed. Over the last few days, it seems its a different player on a daily basis. In no way shape or form does this mean that a fighter is "broken" just means that someone found something to exploit. Just watch, tomorrow it'll be someone else. And simply because the likes of Check4900 can pull a string of combos off, doesn't imply that the avg MK player online is doing it.

EDIT: And while Sagat may be a monster at dealing damage from a jump in, he needs to use meter/ultra to get the good stuff. He also isn't anywhere near on par with the rest of the SF roster when it comes to offensive rushdown. KL is.

Having high-damage combos doesn't mean they're broken. Broken moves are moves that can't be properly countered/avoided or that they can create and infinite combo (like Superman's Ground Pound in MKvsDCU).

And "any" tournament-level play may be able to replicate that combo, but at the same time, any tournament-level player will also be able to avoid that combo to begin with.

Note: This is in training mode and against a wall. I'd like to see someone do it without a wall.

Note: This is in training mode and against a wall. I'd like to see someone do it without a wall.

Obviously it can't be done without the wall, but it's not gonna be hard for a high-level player to pressure a noob into the corner and unleash this fury. That does make Lao broken, tho.

It's a wall combo, against a defenseless character in training ..... some reasons why everyone here should not fear this "cheap strategy", when playing against such high-level players :

- The pace in a real fight against a human oponent, not a donkey A.I, it's completely diferent; normally , both players are moving constantly in the match, and both players know the risk to have their back against the wall, so, they avoid as much as possible to be stuck in the wall corner.

- There is a combo breaker option, what some people just now don't give proper importance, but , in tournaments, will be a very useful tool to avoid this kind of situation

- I think a skilled player, need a huge lucky to catch other experient player in such defenseless situation, and , be able to hit with 100% of sucess and timing perfectly each one button combination in such 14-15 hit combo .... if he miss just one button timing, all this combo chain is gone, and the other player, has time to recover and counter-attack.

- I think the chance of such combo happens, perhaps it's 1 per match, entire one, and not 1 per round. With time, when you see your oponent basing all his strategy in just trying to put you in this weak situation , in order to try this combo, all his strategy is trying to push you to corner to try this, he become predictable and you can frustrate him, hitting him with short and middle range combos, while he desperate try to use this "wall combo" all the time ..... While he tries this 74% combo during the match, you are hitting him with isolate 15%, 20% combos, 2,3, 4 times, and so, you will , sort of, win the match by having patience and doing your job. There is no chance a player can hit this Kung Lao 74% combo so easily at first, it takes some tries first until he has such lucky to do it sucessful ......

Reactions: Eks
For the people saying Kung Lao needs a nerf: The game has officially been out for less than a week. Give the game some time to mature until you start spouting out stupid shit like, "______ needs to be nerfed because _______." This early on, it doesn't surprise me that two Kung Laos made it to the grand finals of the first MK9 tournament. I didn't see the entire tournament (Only the grand finals, which was a good set) but I'm sure the entire bracket wasn't ****ing Kung Lao.

TL;DR - Shut up and stop complaining.

I am not about to get UMK3'd with this spin crap again, I don't turtle when I play, and if I have to turtles kung laos like UMK3 i'm not going to be happy.

Well, if you wanna just keeping running into his spin and not "turtle" that is your own fault. Different characters have to be approached differently. and sometimes you have to slow down in order to win.

Or you could always whine about how a character makes you think about how you play on a forum.. that could help too.

How do you do that 74%? I tried replicating it, I do the jump kick, AA kick, but doing another jump kick will NEVER connect.

>_>?

I completely agree with this. Kung Lao SUCKS to play against. His spin move is insanely hard to avoid when you're in the corner and he's entirely too fast for me. I can hardly manage to land ANYTHING on him. It's kind of ruined this game for me. I can NEVER seem to win against him. And he's the only one who gives me trouble. My friend ALWAYS picks him and I always get demolished, but as soon as he chooses someone else he blows.

I am not about to get UMK3'd with this spin crap again, I don't turtle when I play, and if I have to turtles kung laos like UMK3 i'm not going to be happy.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know the game was supposed to be balanced around your playstyle only.

I actually just finished ladder with kung lao, and it was the easiest playthrough yet. His combos are so easy to pull that any button masher can look decent with him And his speical moves are pretty good too.

He's only easy to use guys, it's not that he's overpowered. Reptile and Kabal and Liu Kang and Raiden are so much more superior, but they're harder to use.

Just because it's easy to pick up on a character =/= overpowered.

if its so bad learn his moves and learn to counter it's not hard just put the time in and learn to play the damn game

the same could be said for liu kang in mk 2- mkT you just have to put the time in and play.