kano vs noob

who is the better fighter?

• noob

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • kano

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters

newbie1556

who do you think is the better fighter in the game? no storyline spoilers please i just heard both characters are very similar and now that kano got changed(with an update) im wondering who is better

i know it can be an opinion thing so i'll include a poll im just trying to decide who is the better character because i want a zoner in my "team"(refer to who are your 6?)

who is the better character to keep other characters away? also who is the better character one the person gets close?

thanks in advance

Kano will likely be S/A tier post-patch. Noob is B+ tier at best but more easy to use, learn and master.

There's not a big learning curve to Noob. It's all about keeping the opponent out with shadow clones and staying far from the opponent. So basically Noob is more a zoner and counter character than anything else. Kano is also a good zoner but he's better at countering and has decent mixups up close.

Kano's combos are tough and require quick dash cancels and good timing. You also need to play a lot smarter with him, both from far away and up close. So he's not a pick up and play character like Noob is. Most low level players will try him out and give up because they don't know how to use him well but he's a lot better than people think right now. I bet we'll see quite a few Kanos at EVO.

newbie1556 said:
who is the better character to keep other characters away?
Noob. Definitely. If you want a great zoner/defensive character that can't possibly be outzoned, Noob is the guy you're looking for. However he has a very weak close game so you always want to stay far from your opponent.

Last edited:
Kano will likely be S/A tier post-patch. Noob is B+ tier at best but more easy to use, learn and master.

There's not a big learning curve to Noob. It's all about keeping the opponent out with shadow clones and staying far from the opponent. So basically Noob is more a zoner and counter character than anything else. Kano is also a good zoner but he's better at countering and has decent mixups up close.

Kano's combos are tough and require quick dash cancels and good timing. You also need to play a lot smarter with him, both from far away and up close. So he's not a pick up and play character like Noob is. Most low level players will try him out and give up because they don't know how to use him well but he's a lot better than people think right now. I bet we'll see quite a few Kanos at EVO.

Noob. Definitely. If you want a great zoner/defensive character that can't possibly be outzoned, Noob is the guy you're looking for. However he has a very weak close game so you always want to stay far from your opponent.
thank you alot for your post, helped me alot once i start playing the game agian i'll try more kano because i want to get used to a good zoning character(never been good at zoning)

also i should have added this earlier in the thread but i thought reptile was more of a up and close character(not sure what to refer them as) but which character is better kano or reptile? i want so many characters who turn out to be zoners in this game which doesnt suit my style so i guess i just have to improve at zoning, thanks agian

Kano's the better fighter by far, but he's good only if you're good with him. Noob is more user-friendly. That said, a good Noob is at a disadvantage against a good Kano.

also i should have added this earlier in the thread but i thought reptile was more of a up and close character(not sure what to refer them as) but which character is better kano or reptile? i want so many characters who turn out to be zoners in this game which doesnt suit my style so i guess i just have to improve at zoning, thanks agian
Okay, well since you're looking for a good zoner I'll list the best ones and explain why they're so good at zoning:

Sub-Zero: Wins every zone battles. He gets full combos out of a projectile trade.

Noob: Impossible to outzone Noob. His clones come out way too fast. His anti-air clone has a ridiculous hitbox making it nearly impossible to cross-up Noob. When the opponent manages to get in close it can get ugly though.

Reptile: Acid spit and force ball are extremely hard to get around for a lot of characters with no teleports. Reptile is one of the best all around characters right now. And he has big damaging combos too (35-48% meterless)

Ermac: Zone with Push which has a pretty big vertical hitbox. Can catch jumping opponents and is easy to spam. However it's very vulnerable when blocked.

Kano: 2 reasons why he's a great zoner: 1. His knife recovers extremely fast so when you trade you often manage to block in time. 2. His knife deals 9% which is the most damaging projectile in game next to Sheeva I think. + he has a good anti-air and air-to-air control with up ball, airborne ball and air throw.

Stryker: The fact that he can fake his gun shot and mix it up with roll toss makes him a good zone/counter-zone character. Hard to use.

Sindel: Air fireball + low crouch fireball makes Sindel one of the best zoners in the game. She's a bit hard to use though.

Shang Tsung: Fire forest + soul steal. His combos aren't breakable because they're mostly projectile based. Very hard to use.

Kitana/Liu Kang: Instant otg fan/fireball make them good at controlling space and building meter.

Last edited:
Kano's the better fighter by far, but he's good only if you're good with him. Noob is more user-friendly. That said, a good Noob is at a disadvantage against a good Kano.
thank you i will get better with kano then(initial impressions was he was not a great character but then again he was the first character i used in any fighting game since SSBM)

Okay, well since you're looking for a good zoner I'll list the best ones and explain why they're so good at zoning:

Sub-Zero: Wins every zone battles. He gets full combos out of a projectile trade.

Noob: Impossible to outzone Noob. His clones come out way too fast. His anti-air clone has a ridiculous hitbox making it nearly impossible to cross-up Noob. When the opponent manages to get in close it can get ugly though.

Reptile: Acid spit and force ball are extremely hard to get around for a lot of characters with no teleports. Reptile is one of the best all around characters right now. And he has big damaging combos too (35-48% meterless)

Ermac: Zone with Push which has a pretty big vertical hitbox. Can catch jumping opponents and is easy to spam. However it's very vulnerable when blocked.

Kano: 2 reasons why he's a great zoner: 1. His knife recovers extremely fast so when you trade you often manage to block in time. 2. His knife deals 9% which is the most damaging projectile in game.

Stryker: The fact that he can fake his gun shot and mix it up with roll toss makes him a good zone/counter-zone character. Hard to use.

Sindel: Air fireball + low crouch fireball makes Sindel one of the best zoners in the game. She's a bit hard to use though.

Kitana/Liu Kang: Instant otg fan/fireball make them good at controlling space and building meter.
sounds like there are quite a few very good zoners in the game, i'll prob decide 2 zoners for my team kano and reptile look good but i'll spend tons of time with each charater you listed in trying to find who i like the best as a zoning character thank you alot

EDIT: sorry for the double post

so how can you be good with Noob dont just keep the enemy away and dont let him touch you while you spam clones and teleports?

I fought 2 kanos and both of them were spamming the hell out of the knife throw and once I got close to him, he would ball towards/ ball up at me. Than repeat. I chose noob cause I havent fought a legit kano yet, just useless scrubs

I fought 2 kanos and both of them were spamming the hell out of the knife throw and once I got close to him, he would ball towards/ ball up at me. Than repeat. I chose noob cause I havent fought a legit kano yet, just useless scrubs
lol no offense but sounds to me like you were the scrubiest player there. :)

So you got outzoned by Kano's knives and when you tried to jump in he Up Ball'd your ass? Well I got news for ya, that's exactly what good Kano players do. :) Are you saying that zoning and anti-airing is not legit? You think zoning is a scrub tactic? :p General tip vs zoners: learn to dash block, it's godlike.

People have been comparing Kano to Guile in SF. I think that's a fair comparison. Knives are just like sonic booms and like Guile, Kano has good air control with Up Ball and air throw.

Personally though I don't like to zone with Kano. I prefer being more aggressive with him. :)

This night, PSN, I played with Kano in a Tag Team against Jade and Scorpion. The dude was INSANELY good with Jade, seriously, he defeated my Nightwolf easily with her, but he clearly didn't know Kano and I defeated his team with Kano only alone in the two rounds, I didn't even need Ermac...

Note, I don't main Kano, but I think I have a pretty good Kano combo-wise. Kano is a force to be noticed.

\

Note, I don't main Kano, but I think I have a pretty good Kano combo-wise. Kano is a force to be noticed.

That's why he's in my top 5 along with Shang Tsung, Reptile, Nightwolf, & .... ok, so it's just my top 4 :) Just Shang Tsung, Kano, Nightwolf, & Reptile. :)

All this zoning talk reminds me of why I love using smoke best anti zoning character period anyway back on topic what changes are happening to Kano

All this zoning talk reminds me of why I love using smoke best anti zoning character period anyway back on topic what changes are happening to Kano
F3 will hit low which will make Kano have decent mixups with low/overhead/throw.

All balls (I think) will have less recovery time on whiff so he will be able to use them for shenanigans.

Biggest buff: His Up Ball will be more like Johnny Cage's flash kick, meaning it will be completely safe on block 90% of the time. This is dumb imo and might even make Kano too strong. Kano doesn't need this to be tourney viable so I don't know what NRS was thinking. But we'll see how things turn out.

that same thing happened to me, i was raiden against kano and when i would teleport to try and avoid the knives, instant ball. The only thing i could do is block after teleport so when he balls you can combo him, but even then its hard to block in time to avoid that damn ball. Kano is a very easy cheap spammer to use for scrubs. The guy i was fighting said he made it into the leaderboards doing that technique

lol no offense but sounds to me like you were the scrubiest player there. :)

So you got outzoned by Kano's knives and when you tried to jump in he Up Ball'd your ass? Well I got news for ya, that's exactly what good Kano players do. :) Are you saying that zoning and anti-airing is not legit? You think zoning is a scrub tactic? :p General tip vs zoners: learn to dash block, it's godlike.

People have been comparing Kano to Guile in SF. I think that's a fair comparison. Knives are just like sonic booms and like Guile, Kano has good air control with Up Ball and air throw.

Personally though I don't like to zone with Kano. I prefer being more aggressive with him. :)

True but his kd ratio was like 80:80 so apparently that method for him doesnt work that great. Even when I teleported he'd ball my ass up. I couldnt net him cause that move is too slow to pull off when you have knives coming at you. That dash-block method sounds good to utilize though. But, I basically felt like this:

Kristen-Stewart-making-weird-faces-GIF-image-critical-analysis-of-twilight-9268232-250-188.gif

F3 will hit low which will make Kano have decent mixups with low/overhead/throw.

All balls (I think) will have less recovery time on whiff so he will be able to use them for shenanigans.

Biggest buff: His Up Ball will be more like Johnny Cage's flash kick, meaning it will be completely safe on block 90% of the time. This is dumb imo and might even make Kano too strong. Kano doesn't need this to be tourney viable so I don't know what NRS was thinking. But we'll see how things turn out.

You made the the happiest Kano player right now. :) And about the Kano Up Ball buff, while it will be helpful to Kano, I don't think he'll be too stong. Now if Kano's Ground Ball was buffed like that, THEN he would be too strong in my opinion.

All this zoning talk reminds me of why I love using smoke best anti zoning character period
Oh yeah and speaking of anti-zoners and counter characters like Smoke: Nightwolf easily shuts down any zone character with his Reflect/EX reflect (gains life back). And Kabal can get a full combo out of his EX Dash (flys through projectiles with armor).

So if you really hate zoning characters Nightwolf and Kabal might also be good characters for you. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm heres hoping Kano isn't the only one who's move property changes f3 made no sense hiting high its an ankle kick for gods sakes but he's not the only one with zero low mix ups right now looking at smoke oh and jax is a great anti zoner as well