Joker's Fatality - toned down :(

buffduffdan

Saw this on another board so thought I'd report it here. According to Kotaku - "Anyway, it's been changed up a bit, toned down to just slightly less than awesome to secure that highly coveted T-rating that Midway and Warner Bros. are so adamant about. In the latest build, Joker still whips out his prank gun, a "BANG!" flag unfurling. Unfortunately, you won't see the follow up of Joker shooting someone in the face; that actually happens off screen now, the headshot safely out of sight."

And apparently it's not the only fatality to have to be toned down - "Another Fatality that's seen some revision was Kitana's, one that involved her opponent being impaled by her trademark blade-fans. Initially, the first fan went into the torso, the other into the forehead. That second was a T-rating no-no. Double fans delivered to the chest, however, that's a T-rated way to end someone's life."

Such a shame as I think the Joker's would have probably been of the best but what can you do - stupid T rating ¬_¬

Source - http://kotaku.com/5068657/mk-vs-dc-the-jokers-fatality-gets-t+rated

That's....that's AWFUL! I can't express how dissapointed I am! Dammit where's that video so I can save it permanently to my hard-drive...

I hope this is a very late April Fools joke.

This move has probably lost many customers.

Wait for it.... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

EDIT: Seem's like there is a new interview with ED. He states that he has already sent a master copy to Microsoft. The interview was posted the same day as the blog. So Kotaku might be BS.

Last edited:
IThis move has probably lost many customers.

I feel sorry for people in general who buy MK only for fatalities.

These are the fans that have also let MK get away with terrible game play over the last 10 years.

YES, it does suck, but I'm not buying this game for any of the finishing moves.

Nor I, I'm buying it for the characters and the story as always. Also in the hopes that it will give me some enjoyment for an extended period.

But the more I think about it, the less I think this is such a big deal. I suspect they didn't alter the animations at all, it's simply camera angles. I assume we'll see the flag gun go *POP*, the Joker hop and giggle, then it will pan over to show Mistah J pull out his gun and *BANG*. The only difference will be that the opponent will be every so slightly out of sight for the actual shot, so we don't see the bullet make contact with skull.

I saw that at the Midway forums. It just gives me more reason to resent DC. For one, Kitana finally gets a new fatality, and she can't even stick a god damn fan in someone's face?! It's sort of ridiculous to think that as toned down as I thought these were to begin with, they still weren't toned down enough for the ESRB. This makes me hope even more for an M-rated download patch.

None of this crap would happen if it was Mortal Kombat vs Todd McFarlane's Spawn!
Kidding, but seriously, at least he DOES shoot them at all. It's not like we will ONLY see the first part and the word, "HEARTATTACKALITY" pops-up...

I saw that at the Midway forums. It just gives me more reason to resent DC. For one, Kitana finally gets a new fatality, and she can't even stick a god damn fan in someone's face?! It's sort of ridiculous to think that as toned down as I thought these were to begin with, they still weren't toned down enough for the ESRB. This makes me hope even more for an M-rated download patch.

You should direct your ire toward the ESRB board. It seems DC signed on for these fatalities. The Teen Rating is simply more restrictive than everyone thought.

I don't think that's the case. I think everybody originally KNEW how restrictive a Teen rating can be. If you recall we were all wowed that you could get away with the Joker's fatality in a T game. Turns out we were right to be wowed, since you can't do it.

You should direct your ire toward the ESRB board. It seems DC signed on for these fatalities. The Teen Rating is simply more restrictive than everyone thought.

But without DC, we wouldn't have been forced into a T rating to begin with. I can't fault the ESRB just for doing its job. Like Glam said, we all knew pretty well how restrictive this was going to be in the first place, so that's not really why I'm bitter.

What a nice little bit of irony, though. The authority created as a result of MK comes back to haunt the franchise all these years later.

If Link can plant a sword into Ganondorf's forehead in not one game, but TWO, I don't see why the ESRB is being so *****y about this business.

EDIT: Ok, well at least one game. I suppose he guts him in Twilight Princess.

You know, when I heard this I honestly wasn't that all shocked given how "anal" and especially at the last minute no less the ESRB system is, how ironic(same as TRZA stated)....MK started it, now it seems the ESRB once again ****s with an MK game......and makes a big deal about it.

Honestly, the thing that pisses me off more then anything are the many dumb morons over at some other MK sites like MKO and Midway that actually blame "Midway/MK team" for this yet....they went out of their way to MAKE this game as gritty and mature as possible with the "T" rating. As the early vids showed and proved...

Secondly, that aside has anyone noticed how great and more competitive the gameplay looks in this game? I mean...sure it's disappointing to see the Joker's awesome (now toned down fatality) scratched because of how anal the ESRB system is....but is it everything? Not at all...and I'm not buying this game solely on "Fatalities" that most of the time half the fans ***** about anyway "Ohh it should have been this, or that or blah, blah" know what I mean? So, I'm honestly not too disappointed THAT much. Some people out there will act as if "Fatalities" are the only thing within the game when obviously they're not.

After seeing that awesome newer trailer, FMV clips, voice acting, gameplay the fatalities are among the least I'm worried about.

I mean, everyone knew we weren't getting "over the top" from the start but honestly concerning this matter I'm mainly pissed at the ESRB system more then anyone, DC could also be more "flexible" but you know what, if you think about it they were pretty cool with the Joker fatality so again I'm blaming the ESRB system, anyone who blames MK team or DC for this particular case is a retard(mainly some people over at MKO are pointing fingers at MK team foolishly) man if you want ignorant just read half the shit over there....it's rather pathetic.

Glam, you're right dude. Thank god for Midway and Hector and people putting it on youtube, because for one we can save it and secondly we can always say "THIS is what Joker's MK vs. DC fatality was and should have been" right on.

Last edited:
It should have stayed behind the scenes. They had no business showing us at all. We should have never known about this.