John Tobias and mk

danduffy

does john tobias still receive any cash from future mk projects as he was the co creator of the game ?

also what is john up to these days ?

do you think he will ever come back to mk again ?

To answer the first question, it's highly doubtful, since he resigned from Midway during MKSF's development (which no doubt sabotaged the game's quality).

The second question, all I know about his post-MK career was that he made his own studio (his officially stated reason for leaving Midway), made 2 games with it, and closed it down. No idea where he's been since then.

And given the fact that Tobias references have been omitted from every game since MKDA, I don't think he'll be back with MK in the foreseeable future, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. The missing Tobias references do suggest that there may have been a falling out behind closed doors that we don't know about that led to his departure from Midway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

I'm assuming Ed Boon and John are still good friends. I could of sworn I've seen Ed tweet pictures of them together hanging out a while back.

Come to think of it, didn't Tobias do work on an MK vs DCU komic at the time of that game's release? I heard something about that a while back...

No, I don't think he receives anything anymore. Why should he? He isn't actively working on the franchise and has been gone for years, so what would be the point? Would be like asking if the actors from MK1 still get something as well. I very much doubt it.

What is he up to? He formed his own studio, Gigante, and made two smaller games (Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus & WWE WrestleMania 21). Then the studio shut down and now he's basically a consultant.

My personal opinion is that there was a conflict between him and Ed about where to take the series next and that's the real reason why John left. I also think Tobias is upset about it to this day, seeing how big MK without him has become, but Ed managed to get over it.

I think Ed and John are in touch and call each other every now and then and perhaps Ed even lets him see and play the games they're making in advance, asking him for input and ideas, but that's about it I'm afraid.

Will he be back? Full-time... Nope. Part-time... Possible. He worked on the comic books for MKvsDC, so there's a chance he'd be brought in to work on something with the team again. However, I wouldn't count on it.

Tobias and NRS have no animosity, i watched an interview with him that was filmed about a year back, he and the team are still friends and talk all the time from what he's said, he's just somewhere doing something, apparently he works at Zynga.

-edit-

Found the interview, Part 1 and Part 2.

And yeah, he works for Zynga.

Last edited:
Yep, he works for Zynga, making games like Farmville(they actually made farmville). Well Tobias and Ed would do great job if he wouldn't leave. Only MK4 was succeed without Tobias(and i dont even remember if MK4 was created with Tobias or not, maybe Tobias was still in MK team when MK4 created), Deadly Alliance-Armageddon was not succeeded well. Well they were nice game dont misunderstand me, but hey, they doesn't sold good enough. And with MKvsDCU failure, Midway died.

My question is, why Tobias doesnt join again? Both MK and Tobias would be better if Tobias would be in MK team.

Tobias was still with Midway at the time of MK4's release (in fact, he worked on Mythologies during MK4's development, which explains the story tie-ins between the 2 games). He left in either 1999 or 2000, if I remember correctly. MKSF was under development at the time, and Tobias' departure led to the game being rushed.

I think that JOHN TOBIAS should come back to Netherrealm Studios so that ED BOON & JOHN TOBIAS should become partners,a team again.

Calm down, kiddies. :)

Tobias is presumably happily off doing his own thing at Zynga. If he wanted to go back to Neatherrealm, he'd initiate the conversations. Seeing as no side has done so, it's safe to assume he's not going back.

Calm down, kiddies. :)

Tobias is presumably happily off doing his own thing at Zynga. If he wanted to go back to Neatherrealm, he'd initiate the conversations. Seeing as no side has done so, it's safe to assume he's not going back.

Yes i see your point and i agreed, but the kid that is below from your last post, is not understanding nothing, boon is a stupid. :D

Take your fighting to PMs, guys, no need to spam the thread.

[MENTION=17912]MichrobMK[/MENTION]: way to +1 on an irrelevent issue, good job.
[MENTION=15322]londonhellgate[/MENTION], why do you think John Tobias should be the one running the show when he left on his own volition? That's some hardcore fanboyism going on there, there's just no other way to put it.

Take your fighting to PMs, guys, no need to spam the thread.

[MENTION=17912]MichrobMK[/MENTION]: way to +1 on an irrelevent issue, good job.
[MENTION=15322]londonhellgate[/MENTION], why do you think John Tobias should be the one running the show when he left on his own volition? That's some hardcore fanboyism going on there, there's just no other way to put it.

Cause Jhon Tobias has created mk...... not ed boon (him is ruining to mk in several details). And is ironic, you was at galloping ghost event and you don´t notice alot things and you has not learned nothing, specially when you saw to Dan pesina very near from you. why do you can not see very deep? is Easy: you are a simple gamer that plays games and nothing more.............. the non purist fans of mk are sad ppl, if you show the proof with objetivity all the ed boon ´s fails, including his errors and horrors, you are being be named as "hater" "fanboy" ect ect ect.... and about the non purist fan of mk: who are they? the most smarter ppl of the world? is not bad to have an open mind but too is not good to have an extreme open mind for justify the extreme changes that ed boon did with mk ´s frachise with his stupid vision, just since 1995 until the present day.

And, tell me why do you not remove provacations posts from tom (draxxon) in the another topic? ohhhh you saw him at galloping ghost event and both had an agreement, no? :D, anyway now you have your reply and i don´t pretend offend to you or i don´t say that i am more smart in comparision with you, but don´t get me wrong, your question has given to me an impression that you are more blind that i could to guess

Last edited:
It's not like Tao Feng, one of Tobias' attempts at going solo, was particularly memorable. While Tobias' contribution to MK cannot be denied, he's not the savior as some people make him out to be.

It's not like Tao Feng, one of Tobias' attempts at going solo, was particularly memorable. While Tobias' contribution to MK cannot be denied, he's not the savior as some people make him out to be.

And boon have -3543543542354235235423% for to be savior, i mean away of the mk9 solded copied, ppl here thinks that reboot is a cool stuff and copy ideas from other video games frachises, ect ect ect.,.............. and why ppl cannot get some of awareness?