Jade Thread - "Good Boy!"

I main Jade and beat 95% of my opponents in ranked matches... very underused/rated character.. the low enhanced boomerang drives people insane.. they forget it comes back!!!! :) which leaves them vulnarable to a free combo set up= b1, db2, b2, 1, double shadow kick or df2 (pole grab) :)

You can't combo off of low boomerang. It leaves you at frame advantage so that you can get some chip or a tick throw in, but any free combo you get afterwards are people unfamiliar with Jade's shenanigans, which is cool, because she is underused.

Also: I've heard complains about Jade's normals being slow. 4 is her fastest move at 7 frames. Punishes 'safe' moves, including reptiles. Dash. 4 f1 and 4 kick kick does 13 damage and creates space.

You can't combo off of low boomerang. It leaves you at frame advantage so that you can get some chip or a tick throw in, but any free combo you get afterwards are people unfamiliar with Jade's shenanigans, which is cool, because she is underused.

Also: I've heard complains about Jade's normals being slow. 4 is her fastest move at 7 frames. Punishes 'safe' moves, including reptiles. Dash. 4 f1 and 4 kick kick does 13 damage and creates space.

Yes you can. If you let the first hit of the rang WHIFF. so the only hit it initiates is the return hit. you can combo off it. but if the rang hits them twice. you cannot.

Easily tested by doing F2,1,2 then cancelling into EX low boomerang. It will whiff over their laying bodies. But hit on the way back. The combo counter counts it as connected when you dash in and do B1. however if you just do EX boomerang with both hits. you cannot connect anything.

test it out. it's weird.

My Personal Synopsis:
Jade is a character that evolves throughout the fight. What I mean by this is playing a specific way will in turn open the door to more ways to play. And you will be forced to evolve or watch as your tactics slowly stop working over time. She should start off as a counter character, then over time you will have to apply pressure, and do feint openings to get your opponent to fall into your trap. Then as they near death they will behave differently, making the way you play change once again. Let me explain in detail and how to recognize the mindset of the opponent you are currently fighting.

IF you got questions ask them.
If you have more input, say them.
We Jades need to help eachother out :D

Wow, this is the type of help us noobs need not the "How dare you have ideas opinions and grievances" type of scolding! :D
Can you do a "how to solve people getting in your face" step by step for Jade? I notice that she's having a harder time dealing with people hopping around with jump punches and spamming low frame combos in her face

You mean defense? Sure. It sort of universal but there is already a thread dedicated to that.
HERE

obviously EX shadow glow works for everything except X-ray.

U3: works as an anti air(But only when they are at jump distance. NOT crossing you up.) I wouldn't use this as a reactionary anti-air. Unless you are in the corner(Combo opportunity in corner).

B2: Works as an anti air(Better than U3 as a reactionary anti-air because it leads to more damaging combos.) Better to use U3 if near a corner. Only really works when they are at jump distance jumping at you. Not so good on cross ups. I mean it comes out fast if you KNOW without a doubt they will jump at a specific time. You can throw it out JUST as you think they will crossover jump you. But it's not really worth it because a blocked B2 = punishable by full combo.

Neutral Jump punch, neutral jump kick. These are good moves for anti-crossups. the punch leads into a juggle. 1,2 also works as an anti cross up when timed correctly. But the lag makes it almost non-useable online.

A quick 1,2 after a non-frame advantage string on your block will usually hit them. If they tried to jump. and you are throwing it out after their string instantly. You'll catch them on the rise and get a mini-juggle combo.

Jump away kick is usually pretty safe.

The sad thing is you have to learn the ENTIRE casts strings and WHAT they do, and if they are safe on block or not. If they give frame advantage on block or w/e. If you don't got time to do all the testing yourself Tom Brady's living guide app, goes into good detail for each string letting you know if it's safe or not. So you can read about all the characters you don't play. and know how you can find openings. If you got time, just do all the testing yourself lol.

Jade's only Real quick moves w/o using meter to get someone off you is 1,2/ ducking1/ Ducking3/ if you're expecting a high string like scorpions 1,1,1. You can do a ducking 4 for some advantage. Sometimes shadow kick.

Back dashing when you expect an approach in general is a superb way of trying to make sure they never get on you. But... you can't always keep them off you lol. If they start a string that was suppose to start ON YOU. and they whiff. Jade's ranged moves will knock them out of their string. like B2.

I've come to learn that Jade is not very viable for me online.

The juggles I can do in the training room, I seem to miss online. Especially her B2, then 1,2, then dash into another string. If it's 1, 2, dash, then her, 4, 3, 1 or 4, 3, special, I seem to always miss that 4 online. And if I miss the 4, by then they've landed and if they are quick enough are punishing my ass.

Ugh.

A lot of people seem to have this problem and agree that you need to practice online if you want to fight online. Drop your combo, lose your match and try again I say. That's how I'm improving my juggles. Some players will actually see what you're doing and help out by stopping and not attacking back for a round while you try to figure out your juggle, as most people know how hard it is and respect you for trying to improve

Some of the ones In The middle were almost useless because it requires like 2-3 enhanced attacks. I'd rather use my meter for openings not extra damage. Jade does enough damage with her meterless. 36% will kill you in three combos, 42% will kill you in 3 combos. Why not just use the enhanced for openings.

Too much meter wasting, otherwise nothing other tutorials haven't had before... nice showcase though, except for Teh Ghahghnghstahhh talk BEEYACH.
lol.

I already know some of those combos, and to echo what Critical said, why use 1 bar when you are only adding 2-3% extra damage. I also know a corner combo that doesn't require any meter that does more damage than shown in the video (and it's easier to execute).

Yes some of them look very nice, but id rather save meter for combo breakers or ex move openings (ex kick for zoners or ex force field for rushers).

jade is one of, if not the most underrated and unused players in the game. she's one of my mains and it irritates me when ppl choose her and just spam shadow kick, boomerang and overhead smash all day. she's MUCH more better than that. she can do 30%+ combos EASILY without any meter, has decent mixups and her ex boomerangs are very helpful if you know how to use them, especially in resets. and her ex shadow glow is one of the best moves in the game, even tho it lasts for about 2secs. that move is EXTREMELY useful as a part of her gameplay, especially when used whike doing block strings or waking up. she also has one of the best xrays in the game, traveling full screen, extremely fast, projectile invincibility, and dealing good damage(even when used in combos). I've had mk9 since day1 and I can count the amount of skilled jade players I've fought on one hand lol. hopefully she'll be one of those characters who will eventually get more exposure, like mileena all of a sudden

I've had mk9 since day1 and I can count the amount of skilled jade players I've fought on one hand lol.
I can count the number of Jade players I've even faced on one hand :( (it's 4 out of a couple hundred matches).

How do I take advantage of the fact that with glow I can walk through Sub Zero's ice clone? I've learned that u+3 is bad, because you drop right on top of the clone. Any of the specials work well in my experience, as well as feigning the glow through ice clone to bait out the slide / punish. Is there something else I'm missing?

I can count the number of Jade players I've even faced on one hand :( (it's 4 out of a couple hundred matches).

How do I take advantage of the fact that with glow I can walk through Sub Zero's ice clone? I've learned that u+3 is bad, because you drop right on top of the clone. Any of the specials work well in my experience, as well as feigning the glow through ice clone to bait out the slide / punish. Is there something else I'm missing?
I generally use the flash to use a shadow kick through the clone, or if you are already close to him you can try to dash U+3 to surprise him or db+2 to hit him again...

Note: hitting him destroys the clone

Some new Jade technology:

It turns out Jade has some useful EX combos. Well, at least in specific scenarios. Everyone knows that both U3 and 3,4,2 can be followed by EX kick. This pushes the opponent about 1.5 screens in x direction. So from quarter screen you can push them into the corner and follow up with these options:

342, ex kick, 12,12,4 kick: 32% Its like 27 with U3
342, ex kick, 342 is 33 or 34

You can also use a reg kick if close enough and x ray combo.

More EX rang scenearios:

If I have the leeway, I usually throw out an ex up rang against characters that don't have a teleport from fullscreen. This creates a pressure that will make them eat a blockstring unless they use an armored EX move (like cage's kick) If it hit's, it combos, but I usually use a sweep (they have to crouch block), or an option select B1 (you have enough time to cancel into staff grab if they block the B1). 342 is great for mixups. They have to fuzzy guard it. It's been tested in competition. Reliable.

Also, jade's 4 is 6 frames. Stuffs lao's spin on startup <3

As to the previous post. Staff grab and B2 reaches through the clones. The b2 is safe on block in this scenario because sub is slow. You'd have to flash and dash pretty quick to combo into it though.

Last edited:
Um they don't have to fuzzy guard... None of that hits overhead. 342 is punishable on block so on hit confirm you should instead of doing 2 you can input DF2 or shadow kick ect.