Help with Johnny Cage Strategy Please

aj327

I did a search and surprisingly it looks like there aren't any decent Johnny Cage threads out there yet. Would any of the experienced JC players here mind describing some of their strategies and bread and butter moves.

For instance:
1) Name a few moves you use when your opponent is blocking high or blocking low.
2) What's your strategy for closing the distance since Johnny is so much more effective in close range?
3) What move(s) do you usually use to open a fight...I imagine this has a lot to do with who you're fighting...
4) What's the best way to keep them guessing - do you alternate between several moves? For instance I also play sub zero and I find that alternating among 2,2,iceball and 2,2,2 and 2,2,slide and 2,2,ice clone can be pretty infuriating to play against. I'm pretty new to the game and am able to fight pretty effectively just using his special moves and a few combos, but I'd like to move beyond that. Thanks for any advice!

When my opponent jumps alot, or is far. I will do a Low Energy Ball and then a High. They get hit twice because they are used to jumping. Then I dash inward and then jump punch him and do my Square-Square-NutPunch Kombo to get some damage in and then open them to another combo.

Make sure to use his Forward X-X-Back X kick kombo and then a Flip Kick because it hits them overhead and then opens em' up a bit. Very versatile.

Also note, I am on ps3. So I have no idea what the XboX kontrols are.

Wheres the the johnny cage strategy guide thingy anyway? Theres a few hardcore cage fans. Im surprised they havent contributed/ made one yet.

I did a search and surprisingly it looks like there aren't any decent Johnny Cage threads out there yet. Would any of the experienced JC players here mind describing some of their strategies and bread and butter moves.

For instance:
1) Name a few moves you use when your opponent is blocking high or blocking low.
2) What's your strategy for closing the distance since Johnny is so much more effective in close range?
3) What move(s) do you usually use to open a fight...I imagine this has a lot to do with who you're fighting...
4) What's the best way to keep them guessing - do you alternate between several moves? For instance I also play sub zero and I find that alternating among 2,2,iceball and 2,2,2 and 2,2,slide and 2,2,ice clone can be pretty infuriating to play against. I'm pretty new to the game and am able to fight pretty effectively just using his special moves and a few combos, but I'd like to move beyond that. Thanks for any advice!

I am not a master with Johnny, but maybe I can help you a bit.

1) - When your opponent is blocking high, you can use 21b4: the last hit of this string is low and your opponent will probably never block low when you start this string, because he is expecting 21f2 which is much more dangerous.
Don't try to use charged b2, because it's too slow and your opponent has the time to escape or attack you.
I also think that when using JC you should throw and sweep your opponent very often.
- When the opponent is blocking low you can start your combo with f4 which is an overhead, or use f33b3 / 21f2 (the last hit of these 2 strings is an overhead too)

2) To close the distance between Johnny and the opponent, I often use EX green ball + dash : your opponent will block the projectiles so you have the time to reach him and make him play your game.
- You can also use tactics that are common for all the characters, like dash+block which is extremely useful.

3) You're right...it depends, but probably JC best starting move is the flipkick, because many opponents open the match jumping on you and you will hit them for sure.

4) In my opinion the best way to make them guess is using the throw VERY often. If your opponent knows that you are going to throw him almost every time you see him block, he will change his game in a more offensive one and you will be able to hit him using your combos when he makes errors.
Like I told you before, you should also mix 21f2 and 21b4.
If he does not block the first hit of these strings, you can easily do about 30% damage with 21f2--->dash--->44xshadow kick (which in my opinion is a pretty nice combo :) )

Hope more experienced people than me will help you soon, that's all I know :(

Sorry for the bad english

I've recently started playing Johnny again for the first time since the demo, and here's a couple of tips that might be helpful for you. I'm no pro with him, but these few combos seem effective enough to catch players off guard.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I find Johnny's F4 seems to always catch people off guard right after his X-ray. This serves as a nice pop-up after dealing the already damaging X-ray, allowing you to follow up on your momentum. Another solid combo I'm find leads to easy set-ups is F3, 2, Nut punch, which I usually follow up with 2, 1, F2 into Shadow kick. Put the two together and you've got yourself an easy 41% taken off the opponents health bar.

Hope this helps!

For instance:

1.) for blocking high do the 1 2 4 string (the one that kicks the opponent in the shins) and then when the are open follow up with ->+3, 3 nut punch. for blocking low hit 'em with the overhead string 1, 1, ->+1 and dash in once popped up hit 'em with the 4, 4 flip kick or shadow kick

2.) dash block and ex forceball, dash block is probably the best use if you like your meter, however the ex forceball gains you plenty of ground as well as builds up meter, either one is fine.

3.) Flip Kick is a great starter, however I prefer to start the pressure instantly and go for block strings to try and back the opponent in a corner remember Johnny is a beast in the corner and that's where he can do the most damage

4) The best way to keep them guessing is to keep them on the ground, when your opponent tries to jump in; forceball him, making him afraid of the air, and if he tries to jump in again (from fullscreen) let him have the first jump but then hit him with the <- 3 kick and juggle him across the screen into the corner (dash 2,2, dash 2,2). Another good way to keep your opponent on his toes is to try and end every combo with a nut punch, this eliminates a wake up and it becomes a new guessing game, you can either go for the sweep, or try the overhead, which ever one lands do the opposite next time (most people I've come to find out don't even know you can block after a nutpunch)

and as for the people talking about the lack of a cage thread,I said I was going to do it, but it turns out I really don't have the time for it, I'd love to be a contributor to one but I really don't have the time to organize a full character thread

Projectiles are your worst enemy.

Learn to easily use the spin kick against jumping cross up people and when they try to uppercut use your dick punch, its faster and does more damage than the uppercut.

I can't think of all the strategies on top of my head... I'll probably write the Cage thread soon...

Great stuff so far guys, but I need more. Who needs a fancy dedicated thread with pictures and links, etc.? I say we just use this thread to pile up a bunch of strategies and tactics and see what happens. If a dedicated thread happens eventually, great. If not, well then at least we have something...

And I need help on countering good JC players. So first of all who's the best character to use against a smart/good johnny cage? Anyone care to help me out?

And I need help on countering good JC players. So first of all who's the best character to use against a smart/good johnny cage? Anyone care to help me out?

I think a well played Cyrax is pretty dangerous against one skilled JC ......

In my opinion Sub-Zero owns JC...Is very hard to pass Sub-Zero's defense using Mr.Cage.

- He can't go through the Ice Clone
- If he wants to trade projectiles, he'll just lose in about 20 seconds

In my opinion Sub-Zero owns JC...Is very hard to pass Sub-Zero's defense using Mr.Cage.

- He can't go through the Ice Clone
- If he wants to trade projectiles, he'll just lose in about 20 seconds

SZ does own JC only if the Subbie knows what he's doing, I've played against plenty of scrubby SZ's and wrecked them with Cage

using the ice clone usually works a lot and keeps him away since he can't really get around it, aside from that you better know some decent combos to take away his life cause if he gets next to you chances are he'll take you down quick