Has the disappointment of MK vs DC kicked in yet?

THEundying27

BANALITY
gamerevolution.com posted this review

"The biggest problem for Mortal Kombat vs. the DC Universe is that it’s just meh (Yes, it's now a word, so Id get to use it). You will neither love it nor hate it. Instead you will find yourself in a fighting game limbo where you feel kompelled to keep playing because you love one of the respective franchises, or you’ll just play for a while until a sense of disappointment and betrayal sets in."

Does anyone else feel the disappointment or the "BETRAYAL" yet?

I am not disappointed with the game. I think it's pretty good actually. The fatalities are weak, but I don't do them anyhow. When I was young I used to study and remember all the fatalities, but I can't remember that stuff now.

What I am disappointed in though is that it seems like something is missing. The hype of waiting for this game over the months and Boon's crazy puzzles were exciting, but it seems like everything is right on the surface of this game. Are there really no secrets to this game (other than kahn and darkseid)? The MK websites were active pre-game, now it's out and everything is dead already.

I'm obviously trying to get peoples opinions over here. But no nevermind. I cant even do that without being criticized by you now can I.

Nope. I'm loving the game. As I've said before, I wish there were more unlockables. But as long as the dlc doesn't disappoint, I'm perfectly content with the game. The fighting engine is solid and the graphics are good.

no disappointment here. I friggin love the game... it is a giant throwback to the original 2D MK games that we all loved back in the day. I am a little disappointed by the lack of unlockables / secrets in the game... but no big deal. I can wait on DLC. (if there is no Quan Chi as DLC i will revolt! j/k)

i dunno about anyone else... but this game does seem kinda like a primer for something much much better. IMHO i think MK9 is gonna blow this game away, as long as they keep everything similar to this game, but keep up their promises of new characters (and no B.S. characters like Kobra) and a "new start"

I'm obviously trying to get peoples opinions over here. But no nevermind. I cant even do that without being criticized by you now can I.

Don't you love when people make topics on a false pretense (that everyone is disappointed in the game) and then act like they're being picked on when the responses end up going in the other direction?

ProTip: Calling BS on a BS post =/= criticism. In fact, it's the very opinions you were asking for.

Quoth my main main Sam Jackson, if the answers scare you perhaps you should stop asking questions.

hey i feel it is pretty good but some characters are missing too.....and wat in gods name does this "dlc" stand for??? clue me in please!!!!!

Why but unlockable's in when they can just charge you for a DOWNLOAD character and make even more cash from you WELCOME TO THE FUTURE

I don't feel that Downloadable Content, in it's current state, is a flawless piece of work either but if I particularly enjoyed a game and the creators of said game offered up something I felt was worthwhile, I don't see a huge problem with throwing a few extra bones to them here and there. I thought Mega Man 9 was a fairly good example of that (the key word is 'fairly' here) - yes, if you purchased every last DLC offering for the game, the price went from $9 to $20 but consider the context: that Capcom / Inticreates took the time to put together a really solid retro offering, the likes of which we really hadn't seen from any company in some time. The primary game itself was rock solid without the DLC - that stuff was just supplemental, "DVD Bonus Feature" stuff.

My only real gripe with DLC is that I feel it should be an option to the casual gamers who don't have the time to invest in a game to search every nook and cranny for unlockable content. Sort of a "I just want to unlock things easily and I'm willing to pay a fee to do so" option.

Oh, and Tim: I think the point Undying was making was "This review says we're supposed to be feeling betrayed or disappointed about MK V. DC. Do you agree or disagree?"

2D action in a 3D MK, the best thing to come from Boon and his boys since MK:DA, the chance to crush Superman with an arcade machine- Where is the disappointment there?

I'm nothing but impressed with this game, especially since I thought that a crossover could be the final nail in the MK coffin. Ok, as it's been said already, it could do with more unlockables to lengthen the life of one player mode, but it's the two player mode that's really enjoyable. A few cold brew with some friends and MK Vs DCU pretty much gaurantees a fun night in.

I've more or less been defending this game since it was initially announced. My whole point from day one was "Why don't we let Boon and Company actually release a physical product and actually, you know, *play* it before we denounce it" and, lo and behold, it's a highly playable game. Single player is, more or less, disappointing but, as is the case with virtually any fighting game, it really shines in multiplayer. It's a great game.

If nothing else, it's a great palate cleanser if you've been growing weary of the Deadly Alliance trilogy. Me, personally, I felt those games were fine - not timeless classics like MK, MK 2 and UMK3 but enjoyable enough. Whatever.

Don't worry THEundying27, I have got your back. I totally agree with the feeling of disappointment with this edition of the MK series. The only difference is that I felt this disappointment when I first heard that I could see Batman facing off with Scorpion in an MK game, I was like WTF!!!. In my opinion, worse news was to follow in that the introduction of the DC characters would also mean the loss of MK's identity for being unapologetically brutal and full of gore due to the new Teen rating. Surely, those elements set MK apart from other fighting games.

I was told on several forums that I was judging a game before it had come out and I should wait for it's release before making judgment on the game. So I waited. I had hoped at least there would be a darker feel and look (like Gears of War “gritty” appearance) to the game. Instead the characters were so colourful and look “cartoony” which I think ties in more with the comic book guys from DC.

It also appears that they have made little effort to significantly change the fighting mechanics. They have simply opened up the combo system and added silly (imo) mini games that seem to break up the flow of the fighting. The new open combo system seems to hurt the animations even more. There seems to be little to no transition between moves, which makes for more jerky looking animation. I hardly think that this building the new fighting mechanic from the ground up. The animations seem to date all the way back to MK: DA.

The worst part of this is that it seems that everything is pointing to a game that is meant to appeal to DC fans and other neutral gamers rather than fans of the MK series. MK fans lose half a roster to guys from another franchise. MK's trademark gore and fatalities. Other MK features like the Krypt, Konquest mode, Puzzle kombat, Chess kombat and even the racing game. And gain introduction of mini games that suit the comic book universe more than the MK one. Really, MK fans only get their favorite characters in high resolution. I question the MK teams motives for this release. It looks like they are trying to gain new fans rather than please their current fan base.

From my point of view, it is quiet sad that MK fans have been given the short straw on this one. I have either played or own every version of MK since MK 1. In that past, I have blindly bought an MK title without much thought because of my love for the MK characters. Unfortunately, I found a trend developing from MK: DA through to MK: A. They just needed to throw in a new character or two, offer minor gameplay tweaks or even a mini game to make a sale. I think small gameplay tweaks are made when the game is near perfect or they have a truly winning formula but that has never been the case with the MK series on the last gen. There was an opportunity to greatly improve the fluidity of animations as well.

I am glad that they gave me an opportunity to wise up to their tactics with the announcement of the DC partnership. I was going to look for it in the bargain bin but I might not even do that now. The fact is that there are too many better rated and more complete fighting games on the next gen already (which I don't even own yet). The release of the new Tekken could end any interest in MK vs DCU. Obviously, this is my opinion on what MK means to me. I am sure I have ruffled some feathers.:mrgreen:

Feather-ruffling? Not really. I think I covered this awhile back but MK seems to be the special exception clause of fighting games - you either accept that it is what it is or you don't. Ed Boon has said countless times that he admires the Tekkens, the Virtua Fighters, the Street Fighters, etc. but that he wants MK to be *his* fighting game. Boon and Team Midway have never aspired to make a technical fighter on par with any of those other fighting games. So what is the appeal of MK then?

Well, ironically, there's still a general majority of MK playing folk who consider it technical enough to get the job done. Go watch any of those combo videos for evidence of that. No, it'll never be *as* technical as the rest of the fighting game world but that doesn't seem to have fazed most of the MK playing crowd.

There's the folks who love the character and storyline development - paging Dr. Glamador - regardless of how shallow said development tends to be. Characters change alliances or appearances or raison d'etres for one or two games and then decide they want to go in a completely different direction (Scorpion comes immediately to mind). Midway can't seem to decide how to develop their characters so they do it spur of the moment and then deus ex machina their way out of any plotholes or problems that arise later (e.g. Death of Liu Kang, Death of Johnny Cage).

Then there's the gore factor which... I dunno. As fun as most of the fatalities of MK are, I think they're getting old. The gimmick's passed. I could care less whose spine gets torn out or how creatively Scorpion incinerates his foe. Maybe if Team Midway did more Fatalities like Quan Chi's leg rip beatdown from MK4, I'd be less desensitized to them. *Shrug*

As for MK V. DC, it's still a great step in the right direction, putting MK back on the 2D plane. And hey, since so many people apparently despised the direction of the main series from MKDA onward, where's the harm in trying something completely out of left field like partnering with DC?

Yea, and it doesnt make any sense, really.

If your feeling this way about the game, why are you bothering to A. play it or B. post this BS on a forum?
Seriously dude, you need to tone down the attitude. Is it really that hard to figure out? He's simply asking if anyone is disappointed with the game.

And why does he have to absolutely love the game in order to play it or post here?

Don't worry THEundying27, I have got your back. I totally agree with the feeling of disappointment with this edition of the MK series. The only difference is that I felt this disappointment when I first heard that I could see Batman facing off with Scorpion in an MK game, I was like WTF!!!. In my opinion, worse news was to follow in that the introduction of the DC characters would also mean the loss of MK's identity for being unapologetically brutal and full of gore due to the new Teen rating. Surely, those elements set MK apart from other fighting games.

I was told on several forums that I was judging a game before it had come out and I should wait for it's release before making judgment on the game. So I waited. I had hoped at least there would be a darker feel and look (like Gears of War “gritty” appearance) to the game. Instead the characters were so colourful and look “cartoony” which I think ties in more with the comic book guys from DC.

It also appears that they have made little effort to significantly change the fighting mechanics. They have simply opened up the combo system and added silly (imo) mini games that seem to break up the flow of the fighting. The new open combo system seems to hurt the animations even more. There seems to be little to no transition between moves, which makes for more jerky looking animation. I hardly think that this building the new fighting mechanic from the ground up. The animations seem to date all the way back to MK: DA.

The worst part of this is that it seems that everything is pointing to a game that is meant to appeal to DC fans and other neutral gamers rather than fans of the MK series. MK fans lose half a roster to guys from another franchise. MK's trademark gore and fatalities. Other MK features like the Krypt, Konquest mode, Puzzle kombat, Chess kombat and even the racing game. And gain introduction of mini games that suit the comic book universe more than the MK one. Really, MK fans only get their favorite characters in high resolution. I question the MK teams motives for this release. It looks like they are trying to gain new fans rather than please their current fan base.

From my point of view, it is quiet sad that MK fans have been given the short straw on this one. I have either played or own every version of MK since MK 1. In that past, I have blindly bought an MK title without much thought because of my love for the MK characters. Unfortunately, I found a trend developing from MK: DA through to MK: A. They just needed to throw in a new character or two, offer minor gameplay tweaks or even a mini game to make a sale. I think small gameplay tweaks are made when the game is near perfect or they have a truly winning formula but that has never been the case with the MK series on the last gen. There was an opportunity to greatly improve the fluidity of animations as well.

I am glad that they gave me an opportunity to wise up to their tactics with the announcement of the DC partnership. I was going to look for it in the bargain bin but I might not even do that now. The fact is that there are too many better rated and more complete fighting games on the next gen already (which I don't even own yet). The release of the new Tekken could end any interest in MK vs DCU. Obviously, this is my opinion on what MK means to me. I am sure I have ruffled some feathers.:mrgreen:

You say "it also appears that" and "I was going to look for it in the bargain bin."

So you haven't even played the game, much less bought it?

Seriously dude, you need to tone down the attitude. Is it really that hard to figure out? He's simply asking if anyone is disappointed with the game.

And why does he have to absolutely love the game in order to play it or post here?

lol, Are you still all butthurt about your false accusations?

I dont even like the game all THAT much. At least until a number of problems are fixed.

Thanks, drive thru.