Has patch helped improve controller accuracy or negative edge issues?

aj327

First negative edge. I haven't heard anyone say they like it in this game yet - only that it's a nuisance. I agree, it's a nuisance. Uppercut vs charge out of Sonya's military stance is one that gets me all the time. Or sometimes her kiss will just randomly come out.

Second is the controller dynamics. I've posted this in the Sonya thread, but I've pretty much quit trying to learn her because B2,1,F2 will about 20% of the time insert her laser rings thing after the first punch. On practice mode I can see that my input can be identical from try to try yet I'll still get the random laser every now and then. This is definitely a software issue and not my controller. It can't be intentionally this difficult to perform a basic combo.

An issue that probably has more to do with my controller is the inconsistency of the back, forward command (among others). Because the directional pad is one piece and not discrete buttons for U,D,F, and B, if I push just slightly on the up side of the back button for instance it will occasionally register as U,B instead of just B. This makes Johnny Cage for instance jump back like an idiot instead of doing his Shadow kick. I've had some people tell me that this may also be a software issue and not the controller so I figured I'd ask. I have a PS3 by the way.

while i agree negative edge is a problem in this game it is also able to be overcome. giving up because you refuse to adapt the speed and clarity of which you input different moves that may have this issue just shows your inability/notwanting to adapt. do you play on xbox360? im on ps3 and the dpad works quite well, maybe not as well as a stick, but it works well.

if you on xbox id say you need to find a diff controller but i dont know of there is one out there good enough.

edit: to be clear i do want negative edge changed/removed but as it isnt atm you have to get over it and learn how to input said commands without causing negative edge to kick in. ive had to deal with it on csz bombs after dash, noobs black hole in the corner, etc. its entirely overcomeable, you just have to condition yourself to input those certain commands in the appropriate way.

You're right, I don't want to adapt. I want the controls to be more intuitive. This is what negative edge is supposed to be doing for us isn't it...making things easier and anticipating what we're trying to input? At least that's my understanding of it. It's like my iphone always changing "me" to "mr" when I'm writing a text. Not very helpful and I wish it could be turned off.

I've seen a Sonya expert give a combo demonstration on youtube and he kept firing the laser thing on accident when trying to do b2,1,f2. And this is from a guy who clearly has spent some serious time in training mode. I'm not sure if it's negative edge that's complicating that move or what, but it's annoying and definitely doesn't add to the game.

I actually sold my tournament stick because there was nothing I couldn't do with the d-pad. I can hit 60+% combos just fine without it. PS3 user.

You're right, I don't want to adapt. I want the controls to be more intuitive. This is what negative edge is supposed to be doing for us isn't it...making things easier and anticipating what we're trying to input? At least that's my understanding of it. It's like my iphone always changing "me" to "mr" when I'm writing a text. Not very helpful and I wish it could be turned off.

I've seen a Sonya expert give a combo demonstration on youtube and he kept firing the laser thing on accident when trying to do b2,1,f2. And this is from a guy who clearly has spent some serious time in training mode. I'm not sure if it's negative edge that's complicating that move or what, but it's annoying and definitely doesn't add to the game.

again, are you a xbox user? the dpad on those are not very fighter friendly. and again, i agree negative edge is an issue, but you have two options, quit until "hopefully" a patch comes out to address the issue, or suck it up and adapt. coming here to complain about it in actuality does nothing. coming here to complain and ask for help is entirely different.

Well like I said in another forum, I don't want negative edge entirely removed. Just want the window to be greatly reduced and be more like SSF4 which was perfect imo.

Don't know if NRS can do something about controller sensitivity but that would be welcomed too.

I think it's wrong for them to impose a specific negative edge and sensitivity to everyone. It should be the player that decides how big/small they want their negative edge window to be and how much sensitivity they want their controller pad to have.

Well like I said in another forum, I don't want negative edge entirely removed. Just want the window to be greatly reduced and be more like SSF4 which was perfect imo.

Don't know if NRS can do something about controller sensitivity but that would be welcomed too.

I think it's wrong for them to impose a specific negative edge and sensitivity to everyone. It should be the player that decides how big/small they want their negative edge window to be and how much sensitive they want their controller pad to have.

and i agree, however. we do not have direct control over this, so we have no choice but to adapt.

aedanwolfe said:
coming here to complain about it in actuality does nothing.
and i agree, however. we do not have direct control over this, so we have no choice but to adapt.
That's dumb reasoning though. If everyone thinked like that nothing would ever get fixed.

Complaining, in this context, is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

If we feel something is terribly wrong with the game (lag, infs, glitches, negative edge, controller sensitivity etc) then we should say it loud and repeat it as many times as possible until NRS hears us and does something about it.

Last edited:
That's dumb reasoning though. If everyone thinked like that nothing would ever get fixed.

Complaining, in this contex, is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

If we feel something is terribly wrong with the game (lag, infs, glitches, negative edge, controller sensitivity etc) then we should say it loud and repeat it as many times as possible until NRS hears us and does something about it.

Thank you.

I see this as a serious issue to the game. After a certain point of practice the basic moves should just be a given. There shouldn't be a hair's breadth difference between doing two entirely different moves. In cases of complex combos then I agree that they should remain difficult and timing specific since it wouldn't be fair if it were easy to score 50% damage. But there's a difference between not putting in enough practice and the game just acting quirky. If everyone were complaining about this eventually someone at NRS would take notice.

Another quirk MK has is with the enhanced moves. Most of the time they come out but sometimes for some reason they just don't. I've seen plenty of other people on this forum complain about the same thing - as well as all my friends. Even if I am pushing R2 a split second early or late, does it really make the game any better to make the window so small? I want an enhanced move now so I do the move with R2 pressed...it should just happen...every time. Things like this just make the game annoying. Playability should be a primary concern of NRS.

Complaining, in this contex, is a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

complaining is the ineffectual and frankly stupid version of providing feedback.

saying x sucks! isnt helpful

saying x is lacking here is y or z that would work better...is providing feedback.

making a post to ***** about a game mechanic while providing no real feedback other then im angry isnt helpful

stating you are having problems about a game mechanic, suggesting alternate ways of implementation and furthermore asking for help is a constructive post.

the OP's post isnt constructive.

there is never a situation where complaining is suitable over providing clear feedback and actual constructed criticism. just saying :)

edit: and ive never experienced this EX move issue you describe OP, again, you xbox or ps3?

HE IS PS3, IT SAYS CLEARLY IN HIS POST :)

Also, not to sound like a noob, I still don't have much of a grasp of what negative edge is :2

I haven't had any game-breaking problems with Negative Edge, some times it will pull out a special when I'm trying to do a combo but I always notice I get the timing off whenever it happens, like I'll be pressing the buttons too fast.

I don't want it too be removed as it makes some of my combos easier, I suppose if so many people have a problem with it then maybe there should be an option to turn it off like some have suggested.

Kitana and Sindel work quite well. But Jade (who isn't very bad at gameplay), and Mileena (badly slow) need to be tweaked to become quicker in gameplay and more responsive to controller inputs!!! For the PS3 especially!!!

HE IS PS3, IT SAYS CLEARLY IN HIS POST :)

Also, not to sound like a noob, I still don't have much of a grasp of what negative edge is :2

sorry then, for some reason i didnt see it o_O, no idea why. no clue why the OP is having trouble with it then, once you get used to the combos its fairly easy to notice when you "messed up" resulting in negative edge.

its a system that allows you to execute a special without using all of the input commands (sorta like shorthand writing except its with button inputs in a fighting game) the problem is the window in this games negative edge is wide enough that it takes getting used to.

they are making it smaller in the patch arent they? maybe i imagined seeing it i dunno

complaining is the ineffectual and frankly stupid version of providing feedback.

But telling someone they're stupid I suppose is good feedback and constructive?

And in this case I think you're wrong and a bit aggressive I might add. I think my feedback was very clear and specific. I don't see how it's any different from saying that Kung Lao's spin kick needs more recovery time. You could take that as complaining or you could take it as a plea to NRS to tweak it - which apparently they will do.

I'm not a software engineer so I don't know what specific suggestions I could make to NRS to help them improve gameplay, besides stating what the problem is. It probably involves rewriting some code I'd imagine, like they've been doing in their updates. For the example I gave it would involve removing the negative edge - or whatever the issue is with Sonya's B2,1,F2 combo. The margin for error with this move is almost certainly not what NRS had in mind when they created it, and there's no reason why Sonya experts who practice forever with her should not be able to pull off a basic combo like that every single time.

Lets be clear i was not calling you stupid, i was calling complaining stupid. i dont call players in this game stupid.

example on kung lao spin

kung lao spin is stupid OP nerf it nrs plz=complaining

Kung lao's spin recovery frames coupled with its knockback effect makes it incredibly difficult to punish especially online due to you needing either a special with the appropriate range which not all characters have, or a extremely small window to retaliate after a dashin. If you could either expand on the recovery frames or reduce the knockback I think this would be more balance. = constructive feedback

many people opt for option A because its easier to type and because they dont wait until they calm down. but its ultimately not that helpful.

The problem is its not AS big of a problem as your making it out. your basically saying you shouldnt have to adapt to a games mechanics because you disagree with said mechanics, which is just silly. i can see you saying youd want it adjusted as even i agree that its negative edge window frame is too large, but asking adjustments and listing reasons why is different then saying they shoudl change it because you dont like it.

if i come off as aggressive im sorry tho, not my intent! we all friends here, though, that might be a bad analogy, im way more rude to my friends :p

Hey Guys And Girls Is Anyone Experienced Thing When Game Just Not let Perform X Ray ? Do X Ray Is Extra Easy But Somehow Not 100% Maybe 95% Chance Do X Ray ... Online When I Se 3 Bars X Shiny & I Se Soon Will Win & I Think Why Left 3 Bars ? Lets Do X Ray & Win ... But No I Press Stance And Block (L2 R2) Together & Sonya Just Block !! Moment Hit X Ray Waisted . Other Time I Press L2 R2 Nothing Happening Then I Press L2 R2 Multiple Times !!! Just To Do Damn X Ray But Sonya Just Change Stances Or Block . Oh At These Times So Annoying =) Anyone Experienced This ?

I have no issues with negative edge.Im on 360 and i use the "new" 360 pad,with the d pad that you spin to the right so it isnt so "disc like" and IMHO,that controller makes all the difference in the world when compared to the original 360 controller & the razer onza.although currently my friend and I are in the process building fighting sticks,and since the OP is on ps3 all this is meaningless to him xD :)

Regarding the EX moves issue the OP mentioned,I,along with many of my friends who I play MK with on a daily,almost hourly basis,have never experienced that as of yet.Or at least they havent complained about it or mentioned it yet.I find that if you are trying to press right on the dpad,but arent hitting the very tip of the dpad,it will register as up\right.ive found that if you press the very tip of the dpad direction you want,it will be correct each time.try to stay away from the middle of the dpad when inputting directions

Last edited: