Games That Didn't Stand The Test of Time

FlawlessVictor

After going back to playing some older games, there are some titles that are over a decade old that I still enjoy to this day. Unfortunately, there are also games that I replayed out of nostalgia and realized I didn't enjoy them as I once did.

Are there any games that you feel that didn't age well?

One game I had a hard time getting back into was Tomb Raider. I didn't think much of the controls at the time, probably because it was one of the first PS games I had, and 3D games was relatively new to me. Now, being used to modern analog-based controls, it feels unintuitive to me, and Lara moves in a limited fashion, more like a tank than a human. Even Eidos was aware of that, and adapted the modern control scheme in TR: Anniversary.

Last edited:
Most of the 3d games of the era don't hold up to well. Platformers may be the worst offenders because the camera movements were all on the shoulder or c buttons. Even if there was analog support for the ps1. I can't think of any games off hand that are real bad, most recent game I've played is Spyro and the camera isn't horrible, I just don't think the analog sticks worked with it, so I think I was using the d-pad. I don't remember though, been awhile since I played it.

Playing old rpgs with the random battles are a chore now. I didn't mind it as much back then, but it is really making it difficult to go back and play old rpgs I missed out on, which is all I seem try to play now, so I don't know if that is in any newer rpgs.

GTA 1
shyphon filter

I used to enjoy gta 1 a lot but after gta 3 and upwards, gta 1 just isnt the same for me imo
I used to think SF was the best 3rd person action game ever, but playing it now, the controlls are just...ugh

Jet Moto. I bought it on the PSN like 2 years ago and remembering it was awesome and how much I loved it as a kid. I tried playing it and came in last place cause the controls are such shit. I threw my controller on the ground and left the house out of frustration.

How about MK 1? Without it, none of us would be here, true... but actually PLAYING the thing now? The gameplay value pales next to all of the later MK's and most other fighting series as well.

No way.. MK 1 was a very good game. And i still like to play it today.

The mood and music in MK1 was the best in the series.

Most Mario 64 clones. Banjo Kazooie being one of the few good mario 64 clones.

I played alot of them when I was young. There were so many made in the late 90's. I thought they were great because they were wide open and 3d, but now they really just suck. I dont know if this is a good example though, as I think they were always crap and most people knew this, but me being young I didnt know any better.

Gex The Gecko 3D is an example of one of these games.

I do think alot of late 90s 3d games are utter toss to be fair. It was a weird time for gaming really. I recall it was very exciting all new technology coming in, but the mentality that something had to be 3D to be good was bizarre. I remember games getting points knocked of in reviews because they weren't 3D. Also the idea that games had to change to 3D to be relevant is something im glad has changed.
Some games i used to play alot and love were the Acclaim WWF games, Warzone and Attitude. Ive tried to play them recently and they are the worst of the worst. Having to do something stupid like back,back,down forward circle to do a snapmare just seems stupid to me now, but older games used to be like that.

No way.. MK 1 was a very good game. And i still like to play it today.

Agreed.
MK 1 aged well for me too, considering that it's 20 years old.

MK II though, just seemed to piss me off, due to the timing when you went further up the ladder.

UMK3 and MK4 \ GOLD have aged the best,IMO, due to the Run button and the quick pace of the games.

Agreed.
MK 1 aged well for me too, considering that it's 20 years old.

MK II though, just seemed to piss me off, due to the timing when you went further up the ladder.

UMK3 and MK4 \ GOLD have aged the best,IMO, due to the Run button and the quick pace of the games.

MK1 sucks in comparison to modern games and MKII isn't spectacular, but it's leaps and bounds better than MK1. The AI on MKII is a pain, but the core game is FAR better than the core game of MK1. I don't see how anyone can consider MK1's atmosphere is superior to MKII's, but that's why they're called opinions. =P

MK1 sucks in comparison to modern games and MKII isn't spectacular, but it's leaps and bounds better than MK1. The AI on MKII is a pain, but the core game is FAR better than the core game of MK1. I don't see how anyone can consider MK1's atmosphere is superior to MKII's, but that's why they're called opinions. =P

I liked Mk1s atmosphere because it felt like a Kung Fu movie lol

I liked the core game of MK1 better but yes, that's just MY opinion.

Considering that MK 1 was made with only 4 people (Ed Boon (programer), John Tobias (artist), John Vogel (artist) and Dan Forden (Sound)), I'd say that MK 1 was more of a feat than MK II.

MK II had more people on the team, as far as game development went.
For what it was, and still is today, MK 1 holds my #1 spot.

Oh, I wasn't trying to say you can't hold your own opinion. :)

Considering that MK 1 was made with only 4 people (Ed Boon (programer), John Tobias (artist), John Vogel (artist) and Dan Forden (Sound)), I'd say that MK 1 was more of a feat than MK II.

But the idea of this thread is to present games that aren't as badass as they were back when they were new; not which game was a bigger feat. The end result is all that matters, not the work it took to achieve said result. ;)

Obviously Killer Instinct. It's been over a decade and it hasn't seen the light.

The intent of the thread was to showcase past games that are no longer enjoyable now as they were ages ago, not which series are discontinued.

Last edited:
Spongebob Super Sponge

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (The NES game & the SNES one)

Primal Rage

Shaq Fu

Most Playstation 1 games

The intent of the thread was to showcase past games that are no longer enjoyable now as they were ages ago, not which series are discontinued.

Oh okay. I got it now. I'd have to say...

Mass Destruction - very pointless Tank game

Spawn Armageddon - Spawn is my favorite anti-hero, and this game sucked crap out of a straw

TNA Impact - I like the wrestling brand alot, but it wasn't a very decent game.

Spongebob Super Sponge

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (The NES game & the SNES one)

Primal Rage

Shaq Fu

Most Playstation 1 games

Spongebob Super Sponge?! That game is freakin' boss dude. How has it not standed the test of time, I still play it. :smile:

Spongebob Super Sponge?! That game is freakin' boss dude. How has it not standed the test of time, I still play it. :smile:

Spawn Armageddon is freakin' boss dude.
I still play it from time to time.

I only play with cheats though.

I liked Mk1s atmosphere because it felt like a Kung Fu movie lol

The fact that you guys are gravitating toward things other than gameplay in your attempt at explaining why MK1 is good is quite telling. The simple fact is if it weren't for the nostalgia value none of us would be playing MK1

Primal Rage

Ah yes. That game just doesn't do it for me like it did in 1995.