Games Are Officially Art

Honestly, I never of the National Endowment for the Arts before. Are they supposed to be the final authority on deciding what does and does not qualify as art? Video games have contained art for a long time, from concept art to music. The possibility public funding for video games sounds interesting, although I question if we really need that.

i knew from the time i submitted my first portfolio of game conceptual art to ea and sucker punch.

Guys its not meaning concept art in games and such. But Art as in an accepted form of artistic exspression i.e. painting,music and film. Most people do not consider games an art form and then I tell them to play Shadow Of The Collosus and Ico and tell me its not. Games to me is a new era in art where the audience doesnt just admire and appreciate it passively. They interact and change it and it evokes emotions in them. And that to me is the definiton of art something that evokes an emotional reaction in the audience. And games do that better than any form of media.

Guys its not meaning concept art in games and such. But Art as in an accepted form of artistic exspression i.e. painting,music and film. Most people do not consider games an art form and then I tell them to play Shadow Of The Collosus and Ico and tell me its not. Games to me is a new era in art where the audience doesnt just admire and appreciate it passively. They interact and change it and it evokes emotions in them. And that to me is the definiton of art something that evokes an emotional reaction in the audience. And games do that better than any form of media.

I agree. Also the fact that you have to build a game almost completly from your imagination, that to me is art. Your imagination is your sight of what art could be and to put that into motion and make it a reality is pretty much what just about every artist does.

ya i know but the concept art is really the game in art form just like a movie script is the movie in book form.

or like musical notes are the music even thow there are many other aspects to it.

It all stems from the art of concept art, music score, and the games script.

as for soc i've done concept art for many games like it threw my years of high school those i never submitted but wish i had damn mist opportunity.