Future of MK

KCJ506

I agree with most of your post above that part (since I haven't seen the movie yet), but especially THIS right here.
The post-MK3 era of games like Mythologies, DA and Deception were where we found out deeper lore things like Noob Saibot's true identity, Sareena's relation to Bi-Han, Quan Chi's real purpose, Shinnok knocking Lucifer off of his throne, Shao Kahn poisoning Onaga, ChaosRealm, OrderRealm etc, etc, etc.....

The post trilogy games also had things like Cyrax his humanity and joining Sonya and Jax's team as well as Sektor forming the Tekunin. Whereas in UMK3, their roles were just simply being cyber assassins sent by the Lin Kuei to find and kill Sub-Zero. It also had Kabal reforming the Black Dragon and becoming it's new leader. Ermac trying to redeem himself.

Xenon

3D Era still had so much trash in it with some janky execution as a cherry on top. It definitely wasn't perfect and IMO a lot of people give it way too much of a praise. The good thing about 3D Era is that it actually tried something new and expand on the lore.

It's pretty impressive what they've done with the technology limits back then. Chad Fighting Styles vs Virgin Variations. Chad Konquest vs Virgin Krypt. Chad Kreate Your Fighter vs Virgin Shader as a Skin. Chad Level Transitions vs Virgin OnlyInjustice2DeservesThis. Chad 3D Animated Endings vs Virgin Intern PowerPoint Slides. Chad "This is not a Brutality, this is a Fatality!" vs Virgin "GET WOKE!!!".

Kinda crazy that in the year 2k21, the price tag goes UP UP UP, and the amount of content goes DOWN DOWN DOWN. Less is more. It would be interesting to see where MK would've been had they went with the 3D route and the OG crew. Oh well!

Last edited:

Commander

The post trilogy games also had things like Cyrax his humanity and joining Sonya and Jax's team as well as Sektor forming the Tekunin. Whereas in UMK3, their roles were just simply being cyber assassins sent by the Lin Kuei to find and kill Sub-Zero. It also had Kabal reforming the Black Dragon and becoming it's new leader. Ermac trying to redeem himself.
Yeah, it was a bunch of cool stuff like that.

3D Era still had so much trash in it with some janky execution as a cherry on top. It definitely wasn't perfect and IMO a lot of people give it way too much of a praise. The good thing about 3D Era is that it actually tried something new and expand on the lore.

It's pretty impressive what they've done with the technology limits back then. Chad Fighting Styles vs Virgin Variations. Chad Konquest vs Virgin Krypt. Chad Kreate Your Fighter vs Virgin Shader as a Skin. Chad Level Transitions vs Virgin OnlyInjustice2DeservesThis. Chad 3D Animated Endings vs Virgin Intern PowerPoint Slides. Chad "This is not a Brutality, this is a Fatality!" vs Virgin "GET WOKE!!!".

Kinda crazy that in the year 2k21, the price tag goes UP UP UP, and the amount of content goes DOWN DOWN DOWN. Less is more. It would be interesting to see where MK would've been had they went with the 3D route and the OG crew. Oh well!
Agreed.
I didn't care as much for the gameplay from that era, and I think the last game which was 2.5D / 3D that I enjoyed was MK4 before it went full 3D.
The "variations" / weapon change also felt a bit odd, even at the time.
I like the way that MKX and MK11 handle variations more, even if they aren't always balanced perfectly.

Tarkatan Trash

If the price is going to go up, then I expect the entire native roster from every MK game in the game out of the box to justify the price increase.

Misucra

If the price is going to go up, then I expect the entire native roster from every MK game in the game out of the box to justify the price increase.
Hahaha. Oh man.

A lot of people would want that. Content to justify the price. Man. What an old concept.

I remember when buying Deception or Armageddon, was like buying 1 game with 2 mini games. Now you pay 40 bucks, just for few characters.

Tarkatan Trash

All while ignoring the previous 19 years! WB is attempting to edit history, plain and simple. Almost like they think Night Trap was the only game responsible for the ESRB's birth.

Last edited:

Xenon

JuSt Be HaPpY YoU GoT SoMeThInG..............................

GeT HyPeD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the funniest thing about this is that MK9 is still banned from selling, but at least they remembered its existence.

Commander

The funny thing is that the fanbase on social media (and in general) goes "Ooh, the anniversary of the game is coming up, maybe they'll do something special."

NRS doing "something special" on the 10 year anniversary of MK9: "Here's a 30 second clip of 2 intro lines from MK9 and MK11 featuring the 2 most iconic characters." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This fanbase is funny as shit sometimes.
Some people put too much fuckin' importance on anniversary dates when Ed Boon and WB / NRS have proven time and time again that they don't give 2 flying turds for anniversary dates.
Meanwhile, Aftermath dropped on May 26th and KP2 / MK11 Ultimate came out on November 17th: a couple of random-assed dates. Lmfao

Misucra

The funny thing is that the fanbase on social media (and in general) goes "Ooh, the anniversary of the game is coming up, maybe they'll do something special."

NRS doing "something special" on the 10 year anniversary of MK9: "Here's a 30 second clip of 2 intro lines from MK9 and MK11 featuring the 2 most iconic characters." :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This fanbase is funny as shit sometimes.
Some people put too much fuckin' importance on anniversary dates when Ed Boon and WB / NRS have proven time and time again that they don't give 2 flying turds for anniversary dates.
Meanwhile, Aftermath dropped on May 26th and KP2 / MK11 Ultimate came out on November 17th: a couple of random-assed dates. Lmfao
I mean... just to show how much they care.

"Ed Boon was recently reminded that the 30th year anniversary was coming up during an interview that took place on the FestiGame Twitch stream. Based on Boon's reaction to the reminder, it didn't appear that NetherRealm Studios had any previous plans to celebrate this occurrence.

"Do you have something planned for the 30th year anniversary for the Mortal Kombat series?" asked the interviewer. This prompted Boon to think for a moment before responding.

"Not currently. But until you mentioned it, I wasn't really thinking too much about it," admitted Boon. "We should probably try to think of something. We didn't have anything planned, but I'm glad you brought it up.""

To be honest... if we wanted to celebrate MK anniversary, then it should be community doing that. Why the f%^k do we need anything from NRS or WB? They can choke on their cash for all we care.

Last edited:

Bakality

I think Netherrealm Studios waste a great opportunity to explore a dark alternative story, using Raiden as a corrupted god that wants complete control of all the realm to mantain a tense peace through violence and oppresion, meanwhile Liu Kang and Kitana are the rulers of the netherrealm. Liu Kang incetive can be pure revenge against Raiden, full with hate and resentment maybe he is beyonjd salvation and he wants to torture Raiden for eternity while he make a hell-on-earth in the different realms just to show to the demi god how he failed to him and humans.

I think certain stories of MKX were very interesting for MK11 like Takeda and Keshi going against the Red Dragon, the Shirai Ryu being revived by Raiden who now has the support of Scorpion.. he can even get help from the Order Realm of Seido to get more help of a more authoritarian reign over the realms. He can even offer help to the Red Dragon promise them to bring back Onaga if they help him to become the One Being...

See the consequences of the different decisions of raiden, how now the old heroes are the main villains and see the earth defenders trying to find a way to stop the Armageddon... sadly they go with the endgame cheap idea of alternative dimensions.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Finally watched the movie. That shit was crazy tight. Kano was a treasure and this has to be the best portrayal of Sonya yet.

Lot of people saying Cole was pointless, but I actually think it was a really good call to have him in.
It lets us have a Scorpion related character without having Scorpion be the main protagonist. Scorpion is at his best when he's an antihero. He was great in the beginnings of MKX's storyline when he was reluctant, but by MK11 he's a full on goody goody and its a terrible look for the immortal spectre from Hell.

I hope Hanzo's blood somehow corrupts Cole in future movies. He hasn't killed a normal person yet, that could be an interesting conflict later on.

Last edited:

Xenon

Well since the movie is out now, here's what I thought about it.

If I watch it just as braindead action movie, without caring about MK lore, and I don't mind Capeshit....it's a 5. Not bad, not good, just plain average. Simply because there are so many movies that do what MK Braindead Movie does but with much better results.

Otherwise, it's a 2. In comparison I'd rate 1995 an 8, Annihilation a 1, and Conquest a 7.

The characters

I already mentioned Raiden, but he was just so poorly cast and the way he behaved did not fit Raiden at all. The tale of Two Raidens went this way.... The NRS Raiden always screws up and has to run back to the Elder Gods in tears; or the OG Cinematic Raiden who was sarcastic, but at the same time wise and powerful. Now we have this NuRaiden who constantly rips on the only people who can win the tournament, he doesn't tell anyone how to find this bullshit Arcana, he's just there to talk trash and not even being able to do one thing that is his title: PROTECTOR of Earthrealm. Yeah, Kung Lao really appreciated Raiden's protection...

Sonya was ok. She didn't really give me "military" vibe like the 1995 Sonya did though.

Jax was fine as well. The fact that they didn't try anything woke with him is a huge plus. However, just like Sonya he doesn't really give me "military" vibes.

Kano was god awful. There's a point where your one liners and "jokes" just become annoying and take away from the character. There was a point where I actually said out loud "can you shut up already?", and 1 second later Sonya says the same. It's hard to take this clown seriously, not to mention with his fighting resume in this movie.

Scorpion and Sub-Zero were fine, however the problem with Sub-Zero.... how on Earth is he still alive 400 years later, why is working for Shang Tsung? Some people are also asking why is he speaking English, or why did Cole understand Hanzo talking Japanese but to me these are very minor issues. Also it wasn't really explained why does Bi Han had such a raging boner against Shirai Ryu and Hanzo in particular. Not to mention, with Sub-Zero being alive so many years later, that means his brother would be of the same age....

Kung Lao gave me good vibes overall, however what Shang did to him was stupid. He just got oneshot, just like that... so what's stopping Raiden from doing the same to Shang's goons, as an act of self defense?

Cole is just.... no words. The rest were either forgettable or simply butchered. Yup, I can already see the masses of Cole fans, praising MK for having such an awesome, cool, stunning and brave character.... Somewhere.... Over there....

The fight scenes

How come movies like John Wick do fight scenes better than a movie that's REVOLVING around fighting? There were only two good fight scenes in the movie, both had Scorpion in it. Jax vs Reiko was LAUGHABLE. Sonya vs Kano was awful, both of fights. Reptile just got piled on and absolutely wasted. Mileena vs Sonya, once again.....Awful. None of the fights had me at the edge of my seat, wondering what's going to happen next...All they had me thinking is "just WTF is going on?". Thanks to the bullshit Arcana, and the terrible editing. I've counted more cuts in the first Sonya vs Kano fight than there have been hits.

The Arcana

Here's the big thing about this movie, the Capeshit-style superpower. So, Sub-Zero's Arcana is Ice, Scorpion's is Fire....makes sense, right? Then comes in Jax, who has these useless prosthetic arms, gets angry and they transform into these massive robo arms. It just makes no sense. Kano then solidifies the nonsense by having his eye.... shoot magic lazor... because nobody could take this clown seriously. Nothing to do with cybernetics like in the games or the original movie, nope, it's just magic eye. Cole is just an Iron Man, who gets angry and then wipes the floor with Goro, you know... the CHAMPION of MK?.... What was Goro's Arcana anyways? And what's the point of this bullshit Tournament if its Champion can get easily wasted by some random newbie? Weren't there "rules" to prevent that from happening?

Speaking of Kano, once again this guy clowns himself with Arcana. So, Raiden makes it clear that without Arcana, nobody will stand a chance against Outworld. But yet here comes Kano, who got flawlessly wasted by Sonya in Fight 1, and then destroyed by Sonya while he had his Magic Eye and she had balls all. What is the point of this movie?....

The Music

It just doesn't exist.

Last edited:

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Raiden was hella weird. I could barely understand him. I really appreciate MK showing its Eastern roots, but jesus christ that dude needed a few more takes on his lines.

@Xenon I think the Sub Zero thing is based on the games. Sub ages hella slow because he's a cryomancer. I don't remember where I heard that tho. I wanted to say Deadly Alliance, but I'm not seeing it in his bios. Maybe its from DA's Conquest.

I like the references to game mechanics, especially training scene between Liu Kang and Kano - three sweeps in a row, looks familiar? Heh.

Shang Tsung is awful - in 95 movie Tagawa made his own version of Shang Tsung so if they didn't manage to hire him - why bother to copy his design? If it's not Tagawa than Shang should look like the one from MK2, MK3 or evem vs DC, now we are left with poor copy.

Sub-Zero - they made him a fu***ng tank, heavy armour, moves slowly, sending blizzard apocalypse like those mages from Warcraft 2. It's like he took the role of Goro (who is just a pathetic jobber).

Reiko - random imbecile with a hammer, terrible.

Reptile - random bad CGI lizardman.

Kabal, Kano, Sonya, Kung Lao, even Nitara shines, rest is meh.

Music is generic Marvel/DC superheroes symphonic shit, forgettable.

Overall it's just 6/10-7/10 action movie that lacks atmosphere and soild fighting scenes and it made me realizied one thing - once MK brought big story modes with professional actors engaged, there is no point in making 'real' movie anymore. Wanna see really good MK movie? Watch cutscenes from MKvsDC/9/X/11/Aftermatch.