Future of MK

Commander

Interesting read, from the man himself. I suppose not much has changed when it comes to the roster, and how they decide who's going to be in it.
It was a good read for how they did things in the early days, but if playable characters are how they still decide rosters then certain characters shouldn't have made it from MKX to MK11.

As of 2 years ago MKX Mileena, Reptile, Ermac and Triborg weren't even in the top 12, D'Vorah was #17, Jacqui Briggs was #18, Kano was #23 and Erron Black was #28.

Nah, man.
Midway may have used player data back in the 90s from Chicago to help them decide the roster for those arcade games and Trilogy, but NRS doesn't seem to follow that same mentality and I wouldn't be surprised if NRS originally started to want to do more non-Trilogy characters for MK11 and WB later forced them to sell klassic characters to make additional revenue.
Ed Boon even said (around the time of Nightwolf or Sindel's release) that it's not what he would have wanted as far as the radio silence went between NRS and the fans, so I feel like WB is forcing them to do stuff that maybe NRS wouldn't have wanted.

Boon back-peddles and says that Mileena was planned from the start, but if that's the case, then why were there NO data mined files for her, Rain, Rambo or Robocop to be found anywhere from the start like with Shang Tsung, Sindel, Nightwolf, Terminator, Joker, Spawn, Sheeva and Fujin.
Those files for those characters weren't added to the game until AFTER Spawn came out and the KP2 character files specifically weren't added to the game until Aftermath came out.
Not buying it.
Rain, Mileena and Rambo felt like a push for NRS to sell more klassic stuff because they probably were forced by WB.
It's 1 of the MAJOR reasons why I believe that IF we get more DLC (aka a KP3) that it'll consist of the remaining 3 male ninjas, maybe a cyber Lin Kuei and a final guest.
The DLC characters that have come out for MK11 have been safe as shit.

Commander

Compared to 1995, this movie is horrible! 😂
It ain't horrible. It is a complete garbage.
Geez.
No wonder NRS / Boon wants nothing to do with it.
I'm guessing that the people who give it constant praise in the MK reddits are just willfully blind and not accepting of much criticism.
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm glad that I've set my expectations really low. Lol

Misucra

Geez.
I'm guessing that the people who give it constant praise in the MK reddits are just willfully blind and not accepting of much criticism.
You know some could say, that I see it that way, cause of my hatred for the direction MK went, but I was doing my best to be as neutral, as possible for the movie. I mean it's not like Steve Barren was making it. Even so...

Not gonna spoil anything (though there is nothing to spoil, as story is non existent), but if you go to watch that movie with expectations of getting to see your characters on live screen and I mean more than just appearing in a movie, then oh boy. Some characters literally appeared just to die instantly and others are plain retarded.
Movie is designed for people who sit and wait to see the finisher they saw in the game "Oh look it is dat move! SO SIIIIICK!" and just shout at piles of cheap gore. Nothing else.

That movie made me appreciate MK (1995) even more. I could even watch Annihilation after that one.
Annihilation sucked ass, but it was so bad it was fun to watch. This? Blyaaaaat...

Speaking of it. This new MK movie does remind me of that DOOM: Annihilation movie. It wasn't THAT bad, but it had exact same problem. They missed the point of what makes the original material so good.

Xenon

Geez.
Obviously different tastes, different strokes, blablabla. You may like it. However if you're a fan of 3D characters.....Keep those expectations really low.

Spoiler:
If you're fan of a certain revenge plotline all the way from MK1, that now has been portrayed more than any MK event, you'll absolutely love this movie.
If you're not a fan of that 1995 soundtrack that perfectly blended into each scene or don't expect something memorable like the MK Theme, and instead prefer random EDM or The Generic Orchestral, with the bass boost cranked up to 11, you'll love this movie.
If you're a fan of one liners that just left the kindergarten for a recess, you'll love this movie.
If you're a fan of characters being bad caricatures, having zero chemistry or charisma, you'll love this movie.
If you're a fan of the villains constantly getting shafted in incredibly short, but at the same time the camera being all over the place... fight scenes, you'll love this movie.
If you're not a fan of new characters, the one that just stand out from the rest but at the same time, fit into the MK universe perfectly, you'll love this movie.

And most importantly, if you're a fan of WarnerBros and Capeshit, you will absolutely ADORE this movie. By the way, that trailer was basically the entire movie. No joke. As for the gore.... It really wasn't that big of a deal. Very mild by MK standards, actually.

Commander

Oh, no need to worry, my expectations have been Annihilation levels of low since last year.
None of the stuff mentioned prior to release even got me amped up enough to be excited for it.
I'm going to watch it because I can see it on HBOMax, but otherwise I would have just waited until it came to streaming.
Been telling people IRL for a while now that the Sonic movie was the exception and not the rule when it comes to videogame movies.

BBBLP

Robot Rock
Considering Miscura and Xenon don't like anything at all, I'm taking that as the MK movie being dope af. Lot of people on TYM are really digging it so I'm going in hype. I even commissioned an artist to make me some stick art of Kabal in his new movie design

Xenon

Considering BBBLP gets hyped flushing turds down his toilet bowl, everything looks dope af to him.

Oh, no need to worry, my expectations have been Annihilation levels of low since last year.
None of the stuff mentioned prior to release even got me amped up enough to be excited for it.
I'm going to watch it because I can see it on HBOMax, but otherwise I would have just waited until it came to streaming.
Been telling people IRL for a while now that the Sonic movie was the exception and not the rule when it comes to videogame movies.

You may like it. If the current red flags do not offput you at all then it at least will be average. I first watched it as leaked pieces and thought it was like a 5. Then I watched it in full and it all went down pretty bad. Especially considering I compared it to 1995 and Conquest. It's better than Annihilation, no questions asked. Since that movie is like a 1/10....

Misucra

Considering Miscura and Xenon don't like anything at all, I'm taking that as the MK movie being dope af. Lot of people on TYM are really digging it so I'm going in hype. I even commissioned an artist to make me some stick art of Kabal in his new movie design
I am sorry, did I hurt your feelings? Don't worry, you will love the movie. It is made just for the people like you. Brainless action movie. Perfect match.

Misucra

You might like it, you might not. Me and Xenon are intense Lore nerds (Xenon is very shy about that) with too much creativity and time, so we have a specific standard.

Sonic Movie was a passionate project, that's for sure. You can tell that they got the gist of who Sonic is. I am still proud of them for going back on design and fixing it. For video game movies to work, you need people who GET IT what's the original material about.

Unfortunately in my opinion, MK director, thought that MK is just about flashy moves and fatalities.

Last edited:

Xenon

tenor.gif

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I am sorry, did I hurt your feelings? Don't worry, you will love the movie. It is made just for the people like you. Brainless action movie. Perfect match.

Lmao that was your problem then. Going into a mainstream MK movie expecting anything other than "brainless action". I already know the movie is going to be dumb, the games are dumb, the comics were dumb. You're trying to look too deeply into this shit when all they're trying to show you are fights and irl special moves.

Like I usually agree with you on the game story being wasted potential, but the movie? Come on that shit was always going to be a mess. Best to just take away the parts that are cool to you

Like I honestly don't care if Kabal dies in 20 minutes and has 3 lines. As long as he swings his hookswords and wears a gas mask I'm golden lol

Xenon

Maybe he didn't like the brainless action either. There are plenty of movies to compare it to. So if the movie is nothing but brainless action, which also sucks (again, this is a matter of opinion).... 2+2 = ?

Yeah Kabal swings some swords and speaks a few lines. He also goes out like a little bitch.(y)

Commander

You might like it, you might not. Me and Xenon are intense Lore nerds (Xenon is very shy about that) with too much creativity and time, so we have a specific standard.

Sonic Movie was a passionate project, that's for sure. You can tell that they got the gist of who Sonic is. I am still proud of them for going back on design and fixing it. For video game movies to work, you need people who GET IT what's the original material about.

Unfortunately in my opinion, MK director, thought that MK is just about flashy moves and fatalities.
I'm on that higher lore standard too, which is why I've aired out my grievances in the past on here about Dominic shitting on the previously established lore in MK11 with characters like Kabal (which ironically has been the topic for the last few replies in this thread), Skarlet and Sindel.
At least the 1995 movie respected the lore, despite it being cheesy, but it was cheesy good.
Whereas for this movie nothing that I've seen (so far) has gotten me hyped for it except for maybe the Shao Kahn statue (which is a direct rip from the MK11 model) Goro and Sub-Zero.
Reiko looks like a stupid towering dude (which he never really was), "Reptile" looks like Godzilla's forgotten 2nd cousin and Kano looks..... "meh."

Xenon

Raiden is anything but towering in this movie 😂 He's just....there. Once again, if you expect a 7ft Raiden that rivals Lambert or Meek...Well, got news for you....

Still amazing.

Misucra

Lmao that was your problem then. Going into a mainstream MK movie expecting anything other than "brainless action". I already know the movie is going to be dumb, the games are dumb, the comics were dumb. You're trying to look too deeply into this shit when all they're trying to show you are fights and irl special moves.

Like I usually agree with you on the game story being wasted potential, but the movie? Come on that shit was always going to be a mess. Best to just take away the parts that are cool to you

Like I honestly don't care if Kabal dies in 20 minutes and has 3 lines. As long as he swings his hookswords and wears a gas mask I'm golden lol
First of all I didn't expect anything from the movie. I already knew that it won't even come close to 1995, when it comes to narrative element. I mean that movie was cheesy as hell, but it wasn't focusing on just finishers. It new that MK was more than that. There was time for characters. It respected the foundations of the lore. This one? Just brainless action. I don't care how fancy the move is, if you keep just shoving that down my throat.

1995 Liu Kang's finisher on Shang Tsung, had an impact, as it had a build up for that. This MK movie has no buildup, no memorable characters and everything is just cheap fan service. I don't care if it is mainstream or not. Standards must exist. Otherwise everything will get downgraded to the point, that you will get "Idiocracy" level of entertainment. Where a guy keeps laughing about someone smashing their balls, over and over again.

"Best to just take away the parts that are cool to you" is the same mentality as "Just be happy that you got something". Last time I checked, thanks to that mentality now we have a pandemic of games, that aren't even fully finished and have an army of morons screaming "BE GLAD YOU GOT SOMETHING." F$uck that.

3D Era was the time, when they dug the deepest into the lore. It was peak time for both MK as a world, and the community for it was the biggest and most active. 3D Era still cheesy, but compared to the first 3 games, it already had the structure. We saw other realms. We literally could visit them. There were the foundations, upon which you could build, but then reboot era came in and washed everything away. Literally downgraded everything back.

My standard is that peak. Anything below that? I have no expectations.

Personally the only reason, why I saw that, is cause some of my friends in Asia got the movie earlier and invited me to watch it. But even with friends, I couldn't enjoy it. I mean... shit. Didn't help that every single one of them was old guard MK fan. We saw the movie and just went to do something else. There was nothing to discuss.

Tarkatan Trash

I can tell you one thing Xenon likes.

The Smoke Doll Toy Factory Accident Who Shall Not Be Named.

Commander

3D Era was the time, when they dug the deepest into the lore. It was peak time for both MK as a world, and the community for it was the biggest and most active. 3D Era still cheesy, but compared to the first 3 games, it already had the structure. We saw other realms. We literally could visit them. There were the foundations, upon which you could build, but then reboot era came in and washed everything away. Literally downgraded everything back.
I agree with most of your post above that part (since I haven't seen the movie yet), but especially THIS right here.
The post-MK3 era of games like Mythologies, DA and Deception were where we found out deeper lore things like Noob Saibot's true identity, Sareena's relation to Bi-Han, Quan Chi's real purpose, Shinnok knocking Lucifer off of his throne, Shao Kahn poisoning Onaga, ChaosRealm, OrderRealm etc, etc, etc.....