Future of MK

Xenon

MAME has been playing these games for decades! MK1, MK2, and UMK3 on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch is a simple Control C, Control V job! Unless WB wants us to play the games on MAME, a Raspberry Pi, or a MiSTer and get ZERO money off of it...
You never cease to amaze.

Xenon

I'd be down for arcade ports being made available to current-gen consoles if it meant slowing down the amount of "please put in _____________" in every single new MK game. :rolleyes: Just leave it up in the Sony and Xbox store so that when gen-10 comes along people can re-download it to those consoles as well.
I'd prefer for them to finally finish that cancelled HD Trilogy. They got pretty far with it, apparently, before WB dropped the axe.

Tarkatan Trash

Fuck the HD Trilogy. I want the original versions only on modern platforms. Come to think of it, isn't next year the 30th Anniversary? I know damn well WB Games hated MK enough to completely ignore the 20th and 25th Anniversaries. Capcom rereleased the entire arcade catalog for Street Fighter's 30th Anniversary (and on a physical disc too), and as far as I'm concerned, this is Capcom showing WB how to celebrate a milestone Anniversary for a major gaming franchise. And no, the Arcade Kollection we got 10 years ago doesn't count. That had glitches that WB Games was too lazy to fix. And to think that the "legal gray area" known as MAME actually does a better job at emulating these games better than WB themselves...

Last edited:

Misucra

Hadn't we kicked this dead horse enough? WB's doesn't care about the old games.
Precisely. They are in no position to even care about them. They are busy, justifying their existence to AT&T.

AT&T debt has been increasing non stop. Last year they were at 151 billion $ debt, and every year they spend approx. 20 billion $ for their infrastructure (Verizon, T-Mobile). Which means that at this rate, they will be at 170-180 billion $ this year.

Also with Coronavirus, they were cut off from the cash flow that came from cinemas. Warner Media has barely anything to justify their existence right now. That entire experiment they are doing with their own streaming service is also not doing so hot. Definitely not good enough to make them enough money to pay off the debt or make some sort of dent in it. Even so, they will be betting everything on releasing multiple movies like Matrix 4, MK, etc at the same time or close to each other. Hoping that it will make some cash of them. It won't really. These guys are in denial at this point.

And then it comes to Mortal Kombat. A lot of people have this weird idea, that MK is some sort of highly valuable IP in WB. Not even close. They don't even crack top 30. It is a niche franchise and it is like that, not because of the fact that it is a fighting game, but because of audience they decided to focus on.

That new Mortal Kombat won't be making bank and judging by their virtue signaling, it has a high chance of failing really hard. And if it does... you can forget any major support for additional MK media, for a looong time. Forget sequels, just mentioning an idea of having a movie of Mortal Kombat will be considered as a joke.

So for them to invest resources into classics? Lol. Good luck with that. Execs at the top don't give two flying shits about whatever anniversaries will be happening. They won't investing money into any of that. Especially, cause Puritans won't like how characters in classics looked like.

The only reason, they would decide to bring classics back and start printing non-stop MK related media, is if it was meeting or exceeding their financial expectations. But, it doesn't and they can thank themselves and NRS for it.

It had a stronger start than MKX (due preorders), but very quickly lost momentum and is now dragging behind it, WHILE being released on 4 platforms, unlike MKX.

I said in the past, that the fact that MK11 is selling less than MKX, just shows how much damage they did to their community. MK11 rode off MKX hype and still failed to make more. I can already tell that MK12 will be even less successful, now that it has split the community and gathered bad reputation around it. And none of them care to adjust their marketing/business tactics either. So Tarkatan_Trash, you can forget all your Anniversaries. They won't do shit about it.

Tarkatan Trash

WB loses more money by NOT rereleasing the Klassics for one reason and one reason only; piracy. How are they going to make money if they don't give the consumer what they want?! Hmm?! The consumer is going to get what they want whether WB wants to make it available for purchase or not. WB can discourage piracy by simply making the Klassics available for purchase! It is CHEAP to make (since the games are already finished) and is guaranteed to sell!

And by the way, ANY person who hates the Klassics is a person who hates Mortal Kombat because the Klassics ARE Mortal Kombat! As far as I'm concerned, WB is either with the fans, or they are at war with the fans! If they don't want us playing the Klassics on modern consoles, they're in the latter! We got these on 6th and 7th generation consoles, yet are being denied them on 8th and 9th generation consoles! Who wouldn't pay $20 for these games on modern platforms?

Last edited:

Misucra

WB loses more money by NOT rereleasing the Klassics for one reason and one reason only; piracy. How are they going to make money if they don't give the consumer what they want?! Hmm?! The consumer is going to get what they want whether WB wants to make it available for purchase or not. WB can discourage piracy by simply making the Klassics available for purchase! It is CHEAP to make (since the games are already finished) and is guaranteed to sell!

And by the way, ANY person who hates the Klassics is a person who hates Mortal Kombat because the Klassics ARE Mortal Kombat! As far as I'm concerned, WB is either with the fans, or they are at war with the fans! If they don't want us playing the Klassics on modern consoles, they're in the latter! We got these on 6th and 7th generation consoles, yet are being denied them on 8th and 9th generation consoles! Who wouldn't pay $20 for these games on modern platforms?
More like who would. Klassic games would barely make anything. Doesn't take a genius to realize.

It's 2021. The only ones that would buy those games, would be retro/Klassic hyper fans like you. And there isn't enough of you to justify even the development of that. The only way people would try klassic (and that is a BIG IF), is if they were packaged with HD remake or MK12. By themselves, they wouldn't even gather enough cash to even pay off the salaries of the devs and resources that were spent on porting.

Xenon

Companies don't give a shit about piracy anymore because piracy is part of the marketing now. It's not like the 90s/2000, when companies had to use every single excuse to squeeze out as much as $$$ as possible, while implementing the most asinine DRM. Remember all those old headlines about how "PC is all about Piracy! Piracy hurts us! We cannot make money!"? Doesn't happen anymore, especially since now you have a bunch of morons who will buy the Ultra Special Digital Deluxe 5 times over for $200.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/72c8cp

Last edited:

Tarkatan Trash

More like who would. Klassic games would barely make anything. Doesn't take a genius to realize.

It's 2021. The only ones that would buy those games, would be retro/Klassic hyper fans like you. And there isn't enough of you to justify even the development of that. The only way people would try klassic (and that is a BIG IF), is if they were packaged with HD remake or MK12. By themselves, they wouldn't even gather enough cash to even pay off the salaries of the devs and resources that were spent on porting.
Being a hyper fan of the Klassic MK games is a prerequisite for being a fan of Mortal Kombat, because the entire MK world revolves around those Klassic games.

Commander

Fuck the HD Trilogy. I want the original versions only on modern platforms. Come to think of it, isn't next year the 30th Anniversary? I know damn well WB Games hated MK enough to completely ignore the 20th and 25th Anniversaries.
And you think that WB / NRS would give enough of a shit to do an anniversary thing next year given that they've pretty much ignored all other anniversaries up until now? Lol

Funny enough, though, in regards to klassic stuff, it's the majority of what they've been trying to shove down everyone's throat for MK11....

Shang Tsung, Sindel, Nightwolf, Sheeva, Rain and Mileena.
20 out of 26 goddamn MK1 through UMK3 playable characters are in this game.
Almost every klassic character has klassic skins (some have multiple klassic in-game skins).
Almost every klassic character has their klassic finisher via Brutalities (some, again, have multiple klassic Brutalities / Fatalities)
Then you also have Goro's Lair, Shang Tsung's Island Ruins (aka alternate Courtyard), the Soul Chamber, the Dead Pool and Friendships.

Misucra

And you think that WB / NRS would give enough of a shit to do an anniversary thing next year given that they've pretty much ignored all other anniversaries up until now? Lol

Funny enough, though, in regards to klassic stuff, it's the majority of what they've been trying to shove down everyone's throat for MK11....

Shang Tsung, Sindel, Nightwolf, Sheeva, Rain and Mileena.
20 out of 26 goddamn MK1 through UMK3 playable characters are in this game.
Almost every klassic character has klassic skins (some have multiple klassic in-game skins).
Almost every klassic character has their klassic finisher via Brutalities (some, again, have multiple klassic Brutalities / Fatalities)
Then you also have Goro's Lair, Shang Tsung's Island Ruins (aka alternate Courtyard), the Soul Chamber, the Dead Pool and Friendships.
I dunno why BBLP was insisting about him trolling or something. There is something clearly wrong with him. YEARS of the same exact mentality.

But yeah. WB is clearly not going to now lift the flags and celebrate MK. Especially not now.

They might, if the game was making a bank for them constantly. Then yeah sure. Gotta attract even more people. More funding. Etc. But now? I doubt NRS would get funding for anything like that. They already spent gazillions on well known actors. MK11 is clearly not making enough money to justify such spending.

30th anniversary will just pass quietly and the only one to make a noise about it, will be Tarkatan's fart.

Tarkatan Trash

I dunno why BBLP was insisting about him trolling or something. There is something clearly wrong with him. YEARS of the same exact mentality.

But yeah. WB is clearly not going to now lift the flags and celebrate MK. Especially not now.

They might, if the game was making a bank for them constantly. Then yeah sure. Gotta attract even more people. More funding. Etc. But now? I doubt NRS would get funding for anything like that. They already spent gazillions on well known actors. MK11 is clearly not making enough money to justify such spending.

30th anniversary will just pass quietly and the only one to make a noise about it, will be Tarkatan's fart.
Yeah, I'll tell you what's wrong! The fact that we were DENIED Arcade Perfection as it was advertised the last time the original Trilogy was released on home platforms! By all advertising laws on the books, WB OWES us this, because they advertised MKAK as Arcade Perfect and delivered short of that! I expect something like that from AtGames and Hyperkin, not an official source!

Last edited:

Misucra

Yeah, I'll tell you what's wrong! The fact that we were DENIED Arcade Perfection as it was advertised the last time the original Trilogy was released on home platforms! By all advertising laws on the books, WB OWES us this, because they advertised MKAK as Arcade Perfect and delivered short of that! I expect something like that from AtGames and Hyperkin, not an official source!
And? What you gonna do about it? Write them a mean message, so they could easily ignore it and continue do their own shit?

As much as I don't like them. They don't owe you shit. They released MKAK and if you didn't like it... well tough shit. There is nothing you can do about it and you won't find many sharing your opinion either.

Like I said. 30th Anniversary will come and pass like it is nothing. And then few years later they will announce/release MK12. That's all.

Tarkatan Trash

And? What you gonna do about it? Write them a mean message, so they could easily ignore it and continue do their own shit?

As much as I don't like them. They don't owe you shit. They released MKAK and if you didn't like it... well tough shit. There is nothing you can do about it and you won't find many sharing your opinion either.

Like I said. 30th Anniversary will come and pass like it is nothing. And then few years later they will announce/release MK12. That's all.
You don't get it! They sold it based on false advertising! They even half-assed the only patch they ever released for it, so yes, they DO owe us something because it isn't finished! What do you think happened to YOU when you half-assed paying your bills, or turned in homework assignments incomplete?!

A fully fixed MKAK that is arcade perfect right down to the smallest detail is the bare minimum!

Last edited:

Misucra

You don't get it! They sold it based on false advertising! They even half-assed the only patch they ever released for it, so yes, they DO owe us something because it isn't finished! What do you think happened to YOU when you half-assed paying your bills, or turned in homework assignments incomplete?!

A fully fixed MKAK that is arcade perfect right down to the smallest detail is the bare minimum!
Dunno. Have no experience with late bills.

Wa wa wa. False advertising. And? All companies get away with it. They are a multibillion dollar companies. You think they care what a peasant like you thinks?

It is finished for them. Don't like it? Find another game franchise. You don't own it.
I don't like MK11, but can't change anything, cause I don't own the IP. So it is either deal with what you have or move to something else.

Commander

30th Anniversary will come and pass like it is nothing. And then few years later they will announce/release MK12. That's all.

This.
I mean, at this point if no additional DLC content is announced for MK11 by the end of this month, I'll also consider MK11 to be done with and they'll be working on promoting the next game shortly thereafter. I expect them to do even less about the MKAK.

Nasty_Freak

MK12

Should be a timeline with Fire God Liu Kang winning in MK11 and should start from the very beginning of time to present day. Onaga ressurects Quan Chi and Shang Tsung as his servants. No Shao Kahn this time since Onaga hates him. Somehow, Onaga would defeat Fire God Liu Kang and take his position as "The Dragon King of Time". Liu Kang however survives the encounter but is exiled as a mortal and shall once again defend Earthrealm from the bigger threat that Onaga would be bringing. Also, Liu Kang is stuck in the Medieval times.

Roster:
* Liu Kang (Main character.)
* Raiden
* Great Kung Lao
* Taja (Love interest of Siro and a friend of the Great Kung Lao. She uses dual knives as weapons.)
* Siro (Ancestor of Johnny Cage who has his abilities. Uses dual tonfas as weapons.)
* Al'Sheva (Queen of the Kytinn. Has D'Vorah's moves.)
* Shang Tsung (Brought back to life by Onaga.)
* Quan Chi (Brought back to life by Onaga.)
* Sareena (Slave of Quan Chi. Uses throwing daggers and Kamas.)
* Ashrah (Slave of Quan Chi who destroys Zaterra. Becomes the mortal enemy of Nitara.)
* Jataaka (Slave of Quan Chi. Uses a sword as her wepon.)
* Kia (Slave of Quan Chi. Uses a bladed boomerang as a weapon.)
* Reptile
* Kiri (Also known as Khameleon. The Conquest show character and the MKT character should be considered 1.)
* Scorpion (Wraith and slave of Quan Chi. Not Hanzo Hasashi.)
* Sub-Zero (A Lin Kuei warrior working for his Grandmaster. Not Bi Han nor Kuai Liang.)
* Emerald (Mother of Jade as seen in Jade's MK9 and MK11 endings. Has most of Jade's moves and weapons.)
* Sindel (Queen of Edenia, the realm that has been freed from Outworld. She searches for Kitana.)
* King Jerrod (King of Edenia. Father of Kitana. Husband of Sindel. He helps look for Kitana.)
* Hotaru (A humanoid from Orderrealm)
* Havik (A humanoid from Chaosrealm.)
* Nitara (A vampire from the world of Zaterra.)
* Gorbak (King of the Shokan.)
* Motaro
* Reiko (Has Shao Kahn's moves. Works for Shang Tsung.)
* Delia (A sorceress that controls fire. She has bladed fans and can channel fire through them.)
* Argus
* Onaga (Final Boss. Has some of Kronika's moves.)

NPC (Might become DLC.):
* Goro
* Lin Kuei Grandmaster
* Kitana (Younger version of her gets captured by Onaga. She can be faught in Story Mode.)
* Jade (Younger version of her gets captured by Onaga. She can be faught in Story Mode.)
* Tanya (Younger version of her gets captured by Onaga. She can be faught in Story Mode.)
* Mileena (Is a servant of Onaga. She can be faught in Story Mode.)