Future of MK

Xenon

Havik, Reiko and Sareena aren't 3D nobodies given that they've been requested more ever since MKX.

Compared to any Trilogy character.... they are 3D nobodies.

Honestly, at this point you're going in circles. I told you before that NRS will put whoever will sell the most first and foremost, especially considering in how much debt WB is in right now. You go to any Ed Boon Tweet and you have bunch of people crying for a Trilogy character. It's not rocket science as to why the same recurring spam will keep happening. Supply and demand....

First fucking response in that thread. Nothing to do with MK. What do you see?

I get it. You want 3D Era characters. I don't mind them either, as long it's not like trash like Hsu Hao, Darrius or Kobra. Then you have Sareena who's bloody pointless considering how Skarlet is retconned. But their chances are so low the last 3 NRS games should've made it clear to you.

Commander

I'm just saying that 3D era characters can be on a main roster and have it be a good game, just like with MKX.
That game had 3 characters from the post-MK3 era on the main roster and 3 more via DLC.
I'm not even saying half the roster should be post-MK3 at this point, but it would be nice to see more in the games than what's in MK11.
Again, NRS clearly doesn't give a shit about the MKX / MK11 newer characters at this point, so some of those being replaced with some characters from post-MK3 would be great.
Given the amounts of complaints that people have towards Jacqui and Kollector (for example), I don't think people would mind if those 2 were swapped out for Havik and Reiko. Would they really miss those 2? Probably not.

The first response to most of Ed Boon's posts is always going to be some asshole troll.
When Kobe Bryatnt died and Boon put out a "RIP" Tweet it was trolls posting shit that didn't relate to that, either.

Again, I'm agreeing with you that NRS would sell the lowest hanging fruit as DLC (klassic characters) above others.
Hell, at this point I'm expecting the last 5 roster spots to go to the 3 male ninjas and 2 cyborgs, but I'm also saying that some of the 3D era ones also aren't THAT far behind and would also make good main roster choices for the next game.
Just look at the following poll......

Yes, again, the top 5 are no surprise to me and are low hanging fruit, but after that you have an eclectic mix of mostly post-MK3 characters with 1 or 2 from MKX and a klassic one (Stryker).......

6. Takeda
7. Sareena
8. Quan Chi
9. Havik
10. Kenshi
11. Nitara
12. Tremor
13. Stryker
14. Tanya
15. Li Mei
16. Reiko

Some of those can easily be on a main roster for MK12.
Yes, the sample size of that poll was 1,842 total votes, but it goes to show that people DO care for some of the other characters as well.
Sareena also could have demonic / possession powers as well, and doesn't have to be limited by Skarlet's inclusion, but that's another topic of conversation.

Last edited:

Tarkatan Trash

Whether the fanbase likes it or not, the entire legacy of MK revolves around MK1, MK2, and UMK3. That's why 3D era characters have less priority than Trilogy characters.

Xenon

Whether the fanbase likes it or not, the entire legacy of MK revolves around MK1, MK2, and UMK3. That's why 3D era characters have less priority than Trilogy characters.
That's exactly what I've been saying. Even the 3D games revolves around...you guessed it, Trilogy.

Hell, at this point I'm expecting the last 5 roster spots to go to the 3 male ninjas and 2 cyborgs
Pretty sure that's what the "disgruntled NRS employee" has leaked. Reptile, Smoke, Ermac, Sektor and Cyrax. Can't wait to see how they'll ruin Reptile and Sektor. 😂

Commander

Pretty sure that's what the "disgruntled NRS employee" has leaked. Reptile, Smoke, Ermac, Sektor and Cyrax. Can't wait to see how they'll ruin Reptile and Sektor. 😂
Even though I think that those 5 slots will have those characters, I don't 100% believe the legitimacy of the "leak," especially given that it was a 4chan one.
The obvious:
- Again, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put Reptile, Ermac, human Smoke, Cyrax and Sektor as potential DLC for MK11 and call it a "leak."
- UMK3 skins for the 3 main roster ninjas 😱 Holy shit. You don't say? Even 3 blind mice could see something like that coming from a mile away with the MK11 reveal trailer.
- Kicking the hornet's nest? No shit, they always troll. Nothing new there.

Not likely (imo):
- Putting all of the Retrocade stages as playable kind of would make the Retrocade pointless, if that's the case.
- Deception paid Mileena skin? Doubtful. None of the DLC characters have skins in this game that are nedded to be purchased with real money.
Even Shang Tsung's skins that have been the Time Krystals store were variations of the pre-order MK1 movie skins and not the exact ones.
Mileena's MKII was with Time Krystals and her MK3 one was a Race Against Time reward.
Rain's MKII skin was a Time Krsytal shop thing as well.
Otherwise, DLC characters have their klassic inspired skins in Towers that pop up.
- Movie skin pack that includes a Reptile skin? Again, doubtful (imo) given that DLC characters don't tend to have skins that are needed to be bought with real money (optional). Yeah, it's a fine line, but again, every DLC character skin is either in ToT (pop-up Tower or Race Against Time) or the Time Krystals store.

The LOLs section of the "disgruntled NRS employee" also sound like someone within those sub-reddits that's just fucking around for shits and giggles.

To top it all off, putting themselves out there like that on a public forum would mean that NRS knows exactly who that person (or few people) is that are posting that and would likely mean being black-listed from the industry.
The whole disgruntled employee fantasy story sounds very fairy-tale like and for now I'm taking most of that with a grain of salt.
If it's not backed up by data mining, then it might as well just be another jackass' wishlist.

Last edited:

Nasty_Freak

I'm just saying that 3D era characters can be on a main roster and have it be a good game, just like with MKX.
That game had 3 characters from the post-MK3 era on the main roster and 3 more via DLC.
I'm not even saying half the roster should be post-MK3 at this point, but it would be nice to see more in the games than what's in MK11.
Again, NRS clearly doesn't give a shit about the MKX / MK11 newer characters at this point, so some of those being replaced with some characters from post-MK3 would be great.
Given the amounts of complaints that people have towards Jacqui and Kollector (for example), I don't think people would mind if those 2 were swapped out for Havik and Reiko. Would they really miss those 2? Probably not.

The first response to most of Ed Boon's posts is always going to be some asshole troll.
When Kobe Bryatnt died and Boon put out a "RIP" Tweet it was trolls posting shit that didn't relate to that, either.

Again, I'm agreeing with you that NRS would sell the lowest hanging fruit as DLC (klassic characters) above others.
Hell, at this point I'm expecting the last 5 roster spots to go to the 3 male ninjas and 2 cyborgs, but I'm also saying that some of the 3D era ones also aren't THAT far behind and would also make good main roster choices for the next game.
Just look at the following poll......

Yes, again, the top 5 are no surprise to me and are low hanging fruit, but after that you have an eclectic mix of mostly post-MK3 characters with 1 or 2 from MKX and a klassic one (Stryker).......

6. Takeda
7. Sareena
8. Quan Chi
9. Havik
10. Kenshi
11. Nitara
12. Tremor
13. Stryker
14. Tanya
15. Li Mei
16. Reiko

Some of those can easily be on a main roster for MK12.
Yes, the sample size of that poll was 1,842 total votes, but it goes to show that people DO care for some of the other characters as well.
Sareena also could have demonic / possession powers as well, and doesn't have to be limited by Skarlet's inclusion, but that's another topic of conversation.
I think it the next set of DLC should go like this...
1. Reptile
2. Quadborg [Or I’d call him “Soul-Borg”.] (ERMAC, Cyrax, Sektor, and Smoke)
3. Sareena
4. Takeda (With Kenshi’s moves.)
5. Quan Chi
6. Havik

killachef808

They should make Takada, Kung Jin, Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs, Fire God Lui Kang, Kitana Kahn, Jade, Kotal Kahn, Baraka, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Cyrax, and Sektor the protecters of Earthrealm and the Netherrealm from Onaga. They should make Onaga getting revived by Shang Tsung and Noob Saibot

Last edited:
There were some leaks about another story DLC but how it is even possible at this point?

If they went Liu Kang ending - that story is too epic for short DLC.
If they went Shang Tsung ending - it would be pretty poor without Havik, Darrius, Diarou and Hotaru. Havik has a chance for being DLC but rest of them have not.

Commander

There were some leaks about another story DLC but how it is even possible at this point?

If they went Liu Kang ending - that story is too epic for short DLC.
If they went Shang Tsung ending - it would be pretty poor without Havik, Darrius, Diarou and Hotaru. Havik has a chance for being DLC but rest of them have not.
What "leaks?"
DO you mean 4chan stuff? I'd take that with a grain of salt for now, especially given that Ed Boon called the Aftermath story expansion the "epilogue / final conclusion" to MK11.
At the most I think that maaaaaaaaaaybe we'll get 5 more DLC characters (if the last 5 data mined slots weren't cancelled), and then NRS will probably move on to whatever game is next.

Misucra

What "leaks?"
DO you mean 4chan stuff? I'd take that with a grain of salt for now, especially given that Ed Boon called the Aftermath story expansion the "epilogue / final conclusion" to MK11.
At the most I think that maaaaaaaaaaybe we'll get 5 more DLC characters (if the last 5 data mined slots weren't cancelled), and then NRS will probably move on to whatever game is next.
Yeaaaah. I also don't think they will be investing in MK story mode. They still have to finish Injustice trilogy. Won't be surprised if they already have the main teams working full time on it.

Commander

Same.
I'm thinking that most of the NRS team is working on the story mode and roster characters for whatever the next game is and maybe a smaller group doing any possible remaining DLC.
IF they are even working on any remaining DLC characters, maybe they'll even announce that pack during the time that the MK movie rolls out to even ride the coat-tails of the movie hype and get a last bit of hype before whatever game is next.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game is announced around the time of E3.

Tarkatan Trash

If WB legitimately likes Mortal Kombat at all, they would rereleased the entire Arcade era catalog on modern platforms, especially in light of the PS3 store shutting down on July 2nd. I mean, they don't want us playing these games on a MiSTer, right? And not everyone has the space for an Arcade1Up, right?

Tarkatan Trash

Why wouldn't they? They're up their ass in debt, anything that makes them any amount of money is a life saver.
And if WB hates piracy, they would put their money where their mouth is and release the entire arcade catalog on modern platforms. This would literally print money for WB Games.

Xenon

And if WB hates piracy, they would put their money where their mouth is and release the entire arcade catalog on modern platforms. This would literally print money for WB Games.
.... No? Those games you're talking about are at least 10 years old by now. Doing work on them to bring them back on modern hardware would probably not make them any money at all.

I explained this to another dude who was raging about why MK9 was no longer in store. According to him, all they have to do is just "remove Freddy" and that's it! Print money!

Software Development takes resources. If only it would be as simple as pressing Delete and then pressing Publish.

Here's a good example for you. Doom 64 got ported to PC by iD. Guess what? It was a bonus for Doom Eternal. On its own nobody would've even bothered.

Tarkatan Trash

.... No? Those games you're talking about are at least 10 years old by now. Doing work on them to bring them back on modern hardware would probably not make them any money at all.

I explained this to another dude who was raging about why MK9 was no longer in store. According to him, all they have to do is just "remove Freddy" and that's it! Print money!

Software Development takes resources. If only it would be as simple as pressing Delete and then pressing Publish.

Here's a good example for you. Doom 64 got ported to PC by iD. Guess what? It was a bonus for Doom Eternal. On its own nobody would've even bothered.
MAME has been playing these games for decades! MK1, MK2, and UMK3 on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch is a simple Control C, Control V job! Unless WB wants us to play the games on MAME, a Raspberry Pi, or a MiSTer and get ZERO money off of it...

Commander

I'd be down for arcade ports being made available to current-gen consoles if it meant slowing down the amount of "please put in _____________" in every single new MK game. :rolleyes: Just leave it up in the Sony and Xbox store so that when gen-10 comes along people can re-download it to those consoles as well.